Chelsea 2020/21 - General discussion

eire-red

Chelsea look to be going through a similar sticky patch that the United of the past few years have. Once again, we're seeing that throwing money at a problem in football doesn't always make it go away.

To be fair, Chelsea have spent their money terribly recently. To have all that attacking talent, but not invest in a creative midfielder to unlock it seems like a bad decision. Kovacic, Jorginho and Kante haven't an ounce if creativity in them.

Maybe they thought Havertz would be the link player? Still, 70m is an obscene amount to spend on a 21 year old maybe.

Can't see a Top 4 finish this season.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Chelsea look to be going through a similar sticky patch that the United of the past few years have. Once again, we're seeing that throwing money at a problem in football doesn't always make it go away.

To be fair, Chelsea have spent their money terribly recently. To have all that attacking talent, but not invest in a creative midfielder to unlock it seems like a bad decision. Kovacic, Jorginho and Kante haven't an ounce if creativity in them.

Maybe they thought Havertz would be the link player? Still, 70m is an obscene amount to spend on a 21 year old maybe.

Can't see a Top 4 finish this season.
To be fair, Mount has been that player for us more often than not this season:

I think your point about the balance of our midfield is correct though - personally I was an advocate of selling Kante to fund the purchase of an actual defensive midfielder who is capable of sitting in front of a back line and shielding them. Right now we have 3 central midfielders who all want to be in the opponent's half for different reasons (Mount, Kante, Kovacic) and no one who can play the role of sitting deep and covering for them, since Jorginho can't cover anything at this point.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
That would be great, it would also take points from Leicester who are really close to us as well.
Leicester is much more threat than Chelsea in my opinion (if their players can stay fit), they have almost the same players for 3 seasons, compared to Chelsea, their new babies & grandad still need to adapt first. On top of that they have Rodgers while Chelsea have Lampard. I have a feeling Leicester will smash Chelsea tomorrow if Vardy is available. :(

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Arguing with another member
Leicester is much more threat than Chelsea in my opinion (if their players can stay fit), they have almost the same players for 3 seasons, compared to Chelsea, their new babies & grandad still need to adapt first. On top of that they have Rodgers while Chelsea have Lampard. I have a feeling Leicester will smash Chelsea tomorrow if Vardy is available. :(
You missed "of a" in the sentence; e.g. "Leicester is much more of a threat than Chelsea". Also, your first sentence is a ridiculous run-on that no native English speaker would write unless they were braindead - three commas is two too many unless you're writing a list.

Just trying to help you fit in as a match-going fan!

Last edited:

Sant1ago

Supports
Chelsea
You missed "of a" in the sentence; e.g. "Leicester is much more of a threat than Chelsea". Also, your first sentence is a ridiculous run-on that no native English speaker would write unless they were braindead - three commas is two too many unless you're writing a list.

You confused e.g. with i.e.

SAFMUTD

I think Leicester are favorites too, but let's have faith I know Lampard can hold it just enough to feck up their entire season.:angel:

1nil

:rolleyes:

here we go again. Do you realize Chelsea’s owner isn’t a native English speaker? Also, you’ve clearly been to more United games than most of us united fans.I wonder which manager post SAF made you stop supporting united or were you seduced by money?

croadyman

Im worried Lampard will do it so badly that Chelsea's board will have no other option but to sack him and actually get a quality manager. I hope he improve just enough for them to grant him some more time.
Yeah Simon Johnson was saying in his usual paper review on Talksport that they are already sounding out candidates and usually when that happens it becomes a matter of time of when and not if

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea

here we go again. Do you realize Chelsea’s owner isn’t a native English speaker? Also, you’ve clearly been to more United games than most of us united fans.I wonder which manager post SAF made you stop supporting united or were you seduced by money?
Went to my first Chelsea match aged 7; half a year going to OT aged 16 had little impact on my allegiance I'm sorry to say.

And there's nothing wrong with not being a native English speaker; it's just amusing when someone who isn't tries to argue semantics with someone who is.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

Ignore him, you are wasting your time. I'm not native English speaker but I have lived in Manchester for a year and half before for my job as HVAC engineer. So his statement about Old Trafford was total non-sense. But we don't need to discuss that in this thread, I prefer to talk about Chelsea.

I probably touched his nerve from yesterday discussion that he couldn't accept it. He thinks he always right, can't accept something different to his own opinion.

Last edited:

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Fancy us tonight, got a hunch

Lampard will also not be sacked should we lose, even if its a thrashing.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
If this team is going to come together and make a run, we really need a win against a top 4 team.

alexthelion

Wait, you think someone who spent the best past of £200m and needed goal difference to finish above someone with a transfer ban did the better job?

I can't wait to hear this!
Fat frank had signings despite a 'ban' and a much better squad to start with so, yes, I think Ole did better.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Lampard's selections have been some head scratchers lately, but this line up is very nice.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Fat frank had signings despite a 'ban' and a much better squad to start with so, yes, I think Ole did better.
A squad better due to one man who left.

Also Ole inherited a squad that finished 2nd the season prior.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Surely Leicester won’t win 3 league games in a row, a draw please!! 2-2 my prediction.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
A squad better due to one man who left.

Also Ole inherited a squad that finished 2nd the season prior.
WTF are you on about now? You're now bringing up what Mourinho did in 17/18 in relation to the 19/20 season?Just ignore the entire 18/19 season then yeah?

As myself and others have pointed out to you yes you lost Hazard but Lampard wasn't a modern day Oliver Twist left out in the cold with nothing the club got him a 60m replacement for Hazard in Pulisic, Ole got no such replacement for Lukaku and had to deal with no Pogba until after lockdown so call it even yeah?

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
I'm intrigued to see what happens with this Mount-Havertz-Kovacic midfield. Lots of technical quality and attacking intent, not a lot of steel or ball winning ability.

Ace of Spades

Chelsea now have enough talent in their squad to be title contenders. This season their aim should be getting the signings settled and having a very strong second half of the season. Then next season they can push on for the title, but the worrying bit for them is none of the signings are close to settling due to various reasons.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
@SAFMUTD

:rolleyes: Oh Lampard

lex talionis

Getting punked by Leicester City right now in battle between contenders for fourth place.

Bwuk

Chelsea should try and get Brendan from Leicester when they punt Lampard.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Of course teams can do much better second half of the season as Man. United showed this time last year but currently Chelsea on course to finish on 58 points, that dosen't get you top 6 this season imo.

Wonder how much long as Roman sacked AVB, Scolari and Di Matteo mid season when top 4 started to go into the distance. Chelsea do have Wolves and Burnley at home up next so simply have to win both just to stay in touch.

siw2007

Tonight, Chelsea look very tidy and composed in possession but have very little penetration to their game. On top of that, they leave huge holes at the back, though that could be down to them chasing the game. Don’t usually watch Chelsea so don’t know whether this is usually the case.

If Chelsea do sack Lampard, I think their best bet is to go for Allegri. The best Chelsea teams of the last 15 years have always been defensively well organised, resilient and street smart and I think that Allegri would give them that back.

Eddy_JukeZ

I'm not buying that their squad is littered with incredible players and a new manager will come in and completely elevate them.

They will likely do better with an upgrade on Lampard, but I think they lack top class players.

They have the most overrated squad in the Prem IMO.

That said, they should be getting better results than they have lately.

KeanoMagicHat

They have clear talent in the squad but too many cooks spoil the broth in a number of areas. Havertz was an indulgent signing for that price, buying him so nobody else could get him, rather than having a clear plan for him. Mount too similar and a Lampard favourite. It's an attractive job though for a good manager because it's a very good base squad. The weakest link is ultimately Lampard who changes his team every week and has no idea what to do with them. And wants to be a pressing team but doesn't seem to know how to press properly, or have the correct players for that style. A masterclass in how to ruin a potentially good team.

People will say it's easy to build a team when you spend a lot of money but it's people like Frank that show that Pep actually knows what he's doing.

DRM

I'm just baffled by the amount of money they've wasted on average players