Chelsea 2020/21 - General discussion

Castia

Doing some good business this lot. Bit of pressure on Frank though after spending what will be well over 200m by the end of the transfer window, they’ll be expected to challenge next season.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Feels like Chelsea's transfer ban worked in their favor. It allowed their young players to get game time and develop chemistry with the established first-team squad. By the end of the season, they knew exactly what they needed to improve the squad while having a lot of money to spend. I would be surprised if they don't challenge for the league next season and/or go deep in the CL. They have a complete squad.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
I guess the ban turned out well. They were able to bring in some young players, give Lampard a season wit less pressure and finally spend the transfer kitty in a post covid world where business can be done at a reasonable price.

Im not fussed about them signing Silva, but Ziyech, Werner, Havertz seem like excellent transfers. Chilwell is an upgrade too.

zakk88

Supports
Chelsea
A new defensive coach could he just as vital as a GK! That would be very sensible from Lampard in my view. He is an intelligent guy and very well spoken. If he stays humble and recognizes weaknesses, he could have a very good season.
I think Chelsea's defensive problem is mostly down to how bad their goalkeeper has been.
Statistically they were 3rd in the least amount of shots conceded per game in the league behind Liverpool and City.
But they are 10th in the most amount of goals conceded in the league, this mostly down to the goalkeeper having a measly 54% save percentage.
So a change of keeper is more important than a new defensive coach or even a new CB

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
The amount of players they are bringing in is startling.

Not only that but they are quality players too, not squad players.

Chelsea have won a title more recently that United too, United feels like the 4th best team in the league again and the lack of movement in the transfer window really isn't helping.

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff
Pulisic was purchased 18 months ago. Kovacic was already at the club and just made permanent.

The point still stands, we've spent a feck tonne of cash whilst they were spending nothing and offloading the best footballer in the league. We even bought Bruno in in January in order to try get past them in the league last season.

They were always going to have a big summer, they have spent very little whilst making loads of money off Hazard.

It's funny to see people say this now when last summer after our signings and them losing Hazard and appointing fat Frank, so many expected us to pretty easily finish above them. it is also largely irrelevant, you can't simply ignore the vast sums we've already spent and go "oh look Chelsea are spending all that money they've saved up by not buying any players and selling Hazard, we should do the exact same even though we already spent that much ourselves!"
I think maybe I misinterpreted your point. Are you saying its pointless to compare our spending to Chelsea?

If so I kind of agree, but would you agree that -regardless of what has happened in the past- if we want to put pressure on the top 2, we need to be doing exactly what Chelsea are doing now?

BridgeBanter

Supports
Chelsea
Feels like Chelsea's transfer ban worked in their favor. It allowed their young players to get game time and develop chemistry with the established first-team squad. By the end of the season, they knew exactly what they needed to improve the squad while having a lot of money to spend. I would be surprised if they don't challenge for the league next season and/or go deep in the CL. They have a complete squad.
I can't emphasize how true your first point in.

Lampard was always going to look towards integrating the young players but the ban forced him to rely on the young players perhaps more than he would have otherwise. They have now played a full EPL season and integrated into the first team, perhaps a year or two ahead of their curve.

Sylar

We have spent a shit tonne more money than Chelsea in the last five or six years.
I mean thats not true. Spending is around the same if not more in their favour.

And regardless, since 2014 weve been behind them immensely. This is the first time were pretty much equal. I wouldnt panic that we havent signed anybody yet, but whats clear is we need signings and the right signings. And the earlier the better.

Sigma

But none of that was relevant to my point, which was that Chelses are currently compensating for having only acquired a single first team player (Pulisic) in the last 18 months after selling the PL's best player, whereas in that same period we have spent loads of money for Ole. It simply can't be excused when taking this summer into account. They came into it from a position of having loads of cash sitting there from selling Hazard, Morata etc. We came into it from a net spend of ~120m odd over the last year.

How poor we've been in the transfer market when it comes to buying the players we do buy wasn't being disputed, though most on here seem to say that our signings under Ole were all great so.. which is it?
Yeah completely agree.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I can't emphasize how true your first point in.

Lampard was always going to look towards integrating the young players but the ban forced him to rely on the young players perhaps more than he would have otherwise. They have now played a full EPL season and integrated into the first team, perhaps a year or two ahead of their curve.
It also gave him the time to evaluate those academy players coming through. Naturally only some of them would play well enough to stake their claim as an outright first team starter, the rest will either fall by the wayside and be shipped out or they'll find their place in the squad as good role players. Having the academy supplement the first team is what allows us to spend money on top talent directly improving the first team.

There's no chance we could afford to buy Havertz, Werner, Chilwell and Ziyech in one summer if we were also in the market for squad fillers like Zappacosta, Batshuayi and Bakayoko, we'd probably have ended up settling for Leon Bailey, Dembele from Lyon, Richarlison etc

Varun

Staff
They're going to be ridiculously good to watch next season with that front 4.

cnuts

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Their new signings would improve them by at least 20 points, here's the detail breakdown:
- Werner - 5 points
- Ziyech - 3 points
- Chilwell - 3 points
- Silva - 3 points
- Havertz - 6 points

Noodle

Supports
Chelsea
Now that the signings are coming in thick and fast i can only presume the sales have to follow. Bakayoko, Batshuayi, Zappacosta, Drinkwater, Emerson, a CB, at least one other midfielder and maybe even Kepa. Along with some of the fringe loan army.

That lot could bring a tidy sum to offset the spend

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
I think Chelsea's defensive problem is mostly down to how bad their goalkeeper has been.
Statistically they were 3rd in the least amount of shots conceded per game in the league behind Liverpool and City.
But they are 10th in the most amount of goals conceded in the league, this mostly down to the goalkeeper having a measly 54% save percentage.
So a change of keeper is more important than a new defensive coach or even a new CB
It’s possible, and would almost certainly help the issue, but I thought they looked disorganized at times too. Now, that could be because of a lack of confidence in their GK, but I think there could certainly be a coaching aspect to it too.

I remember watching the likes of Rudiger and Christiansen before last season and they looked much better than what they were showing. LB is also an issue defensively, but I am not sure Chilwell resolved that issue. Alonso is just as good going forward for me.

It’s going to be interesting to see. Maybe a calm, experienced head in Silva is exactly what is needed!

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Their new signings would improve them by at least 20 points, here's the detail breakdown:
- Werner - 5 points
- Ziyech - 3 points
- Chilwell - 3 points
- Silva - 3 points
- Havertz - 6 points
I’d love to know the science behind this. :lol:

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
- Werner - 5 points
- Ziyech - 3 points
- Chilwell - 3 points
- Silva - 3 points
- Havertz - 6 points
Rather optimistic I think...

New signings can take a season or more to settle in.

As a squad don't think those signings make us that much better than last couple of seasons with Hazard.

Target of 75 to 80 points max.

BridgeBanter

Supports
Chelsea
It also gave him the time to evaluate those academy players coming through. Naturally only some of them would play well enough to stake their claim as an outright first team starter, the rest will either fall by the wayside and be shipped out or they'll find their place in the squad as good role players. Having the academy supplement the first team is what allows us to spend money on top talent directly improving the first team.

There's no chance we could afford to buy Havertz, Werner, Chilwell and Ziyech in one summer if we were also in the market for squad fillers like Zappacosta, Batshuayi and Bakayoko, we'd probably have ended up settling for Leon Bailey, Dembele from Lyon, Richarlison etc
I couldn't agree more!

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Chelsea are doing pretty smart business here. I am also surprised to see people starting to complain they are also attempting to 'buy the league' again. From where I am sitting, they are well within budget.

Let's look at their spending from Jan 2019:

In

Pulisic - £58m
Kovacic - £40m
Ziyech - £37m
Werner - £47m
*Chilwell - £50m
*Harvetz - £80m
*Silva - Free
(*tbc signings/fees)

Spend - £312m (approx.)

Out
Hazard - £88m + £12m (add ons) - £100m (I think £100m feels about right from all reports about the structure of the deal. That said, could be as high as £130m or as low as £88m)

Morata - £7m loan fee plus £47m final - £54m

Luiz - £8m
Aina - £9m
Kalas - £8m
Hector - £8m
Nathan - £2.7m
Da Silva - £2.5m
Pasalic - £13.5m
Omeruo - £4m
Fabregas - £8m

Income £217m (approx.)

So in total, since January 2019 they have a net spend of approximately £95m. However, this doesn't take into account loan fees they have been getting for Bakayoko/Pasalic, whilst on top of this they will have some further money coming in for the deadwood that they have on there books that will go this Summer.

For me, Barkley will go for £20m+, Emerson £15m+, Zouma £30m+, Batshuayi £10m+. Then you have players like Kante and Jorginho who may leave that will rank in good fees. I mean if Kante went and they sold the above players they'll probably be in profit.

Personally, I still do not think they'll win the league as whilst I expect Silva to do something similar to Blanc, their defence still looks not quite right and I expect that they are using him as a bridge to next season. GK is also a massive issue, in Kepa they have the most expensive liability in the league at £141m (his fee plus wages for 7 years). So, I expect them to only get a GK most would consider a GK2 to bridge them like Silva at CB and the board may ask Lampard to try and play Kepa into form (which I doubt will happen as he looks a completely busted flush) and if he doesn't they sort GK along with CB in Summer 21.

Either way, I would say they are set for a good 10-15+ points on this season minimum and they will do it for virtually a zero net spend.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
Chelsea fans must be laughing right now. Werner, Ziyech, Chillwell and probably also Havertz, and maybe even Silva. In one window..

On paper, that’s a phenomenal window. A new keeper would make it perfect.

mu4c_20le

Find it amusing how much hype the media and Chelsea fans are having over their new front 4, as if they think they are going to hit it off immediately. I'm also not really convinced about Ziyech either, who's spent his entire life playing in the dutch league.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Find it amusing how much hype the media and Chelsea fans are having over their new front 4, as if they think they are going to hit it off immediately. I'm also not really convinced about Ziyech either, who's spent his entire life playing in the dutch league.
Be honest mate, would you not be hyped if United had signed 4 players in one summer to massively improve your first team?

mu4c_20le

Be honest mate, would you not be hyped if United had signed 4 players in one summer to massively improve your first team?
That's why I find it amusing. I'm not saying its wrong to be excited, but past experience has shown me that what looks amazing on paper does not always translate onto the pitch the way you'd expect, at least not immediately.

RedDevil@84

Doing some good business this lot. Bit of pressure on Frank though after spending what will be well over 200m by the end of the transfer window, they’ll be expected to challenge next season.
By who? I don't see press giving them a hard time if they manage top 3, just because they are spending money. Press will be busy focusing on how United have screwed up.

TheLord

Chelsea are doing pretty smart business here. I am also surprised to see people starting to complain they are also attempting to 'buy the league' again. From where I am sitting, they are well within budget.

Let's look at their spending from Jan 2019:

In

Pulisic - £58m
Kovacic - £40m
Ziyech - £37m
Werner - £47m
*Chilwell - £50m
*Harvetz - £80m
*Silva - Free
(*tbc signings/fees)

Spend - £312m (approx.)

Out
Hazard - £88m + £12m (add ons) - £100m (I think £100m feels about right from all reports about the structure of the deal. That said, could be as high as £130m or as low as £88m)

Morata - £7m loan fee plus £47m final - £54m

Luiz - £8m
Aina - £9m
Kalas - £8m
Hector - £8m
Nathan - £2.7m
Da Silva - £2.5m
Pasalic - £13.5m
Omeruo - £4m
Fabregas - £8m

Income £217m (approx.)

So in total, since January 2019 they have a net spend of approximately £95m. However, this doesn't take into account loan fees they have been getting for Bakayoko/Pasalic, whilst on top of this they will have some further money coming in for the deadwood that they have on there books that will go this Summer.

For me, Barkley will go for £20m+, Emerson £15m+, Zouma £30m+, Batshuayi £10m+. Then you have players like Kante and Jorginho who may leave that will rank in good fees. I mean if Kante went and they sold the above players they'll probably be in profit.

Personally, I still do not think they'll win the league as whilst I expect Silva to do something similar to Blanc, their defence still looks not quite right and I expect that they are using him as a bridge to next season. GK is also a massive issue, in Kepa they have the most expensive liability in the league at £141m (his fee plus wages for 7 years). So, I expect them to only get a GK most would consider a GK2 to bridge them like Silva at CB and the board may ask Lampard to try and play Kepa into form (which I doubt will happen as he looks a completely busted flush) and if he doesn't they sort GK along with CB in Summer 21.

Either way, I would say they are set for a good 10-15+ points on this season minimum and they will do it for virtually a zero net spend.
Please don't post such posts. This place will be too toxic otherwise.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
That's why I find it amusing. I'm not saying its wrong to be excited, but past experience has shown me that what looks amazing on paper does not always translate onto the pitch the way you'd expect, at least not immediately.
I hear you mate, but what alternative would you suggest. A ball hasn't been kicked yet so we're evaluating it based how they might perform on paper.

Law of averages would suggest at least one or two will have an underwhelming impact, but until such time all we can do really is get hyped and excited for what the new season could potentially hold in store.

edcunited1878

So then Lampard had no excuses anymore, regardless of how young his managerial career is. They're pushing the boat out for him, and they're still not done because they need another CB and a GK, which is probably going to be in the region of 75 million pounds collectively. Wonder how their wage bill will end up looking like. And we can't have this narrative of playing the talent youth like CHO, RLC, Gilmour, Abraham, etc. Load of shit that was. Their squad is bloated at the moment, so let's see who they move on.

Also, they're going to play a different shape and way about them to accommodate these players, but also because their defensive shape without the ball and going forwards was poor. A new GK, any competent GK really, will help, but the Chelsea side is very top heavy and if they will incorporate a high press as it seems, they really have to get their defensive shape in order regardless of the defenders or GK they have.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
I hear you mate, but what alternative would you suggest. A ball hasn't been kicked yet so we're evaluating it based how they might perform on paper.

Law of averages would suggest at least one or two will have an underwhelming impact, but until such time all we can do really is get hyped and excited for what the new season could potentially hold in store.
I don't know. It is not like Chelsea are buying players with one good season under their belt or haven't done anything at the required level. Werner and Havertz have been inproving three years straight and are two of the best attackers in the Bundesliga, Silva is as known quantity as you can get. Only question there is if Lampard sets up in a way that leaves him isolated often (which is why I reckon Christensen will be the starting CB alongside him as he is the one with the best positional sense).

That leaves Ziyech and Chilwell. Personally I do not rate Chilwell however Alonso is the fall back option so I reckon if they are rotated depending on opposition it will be ok. That then leaves Ziyech who has questions over his physical and athletic ability, however even if he struggles with the PL he has shown he has enough class to play at CL level.

All in all, none of the signings are like buying a Danial James, Bakayoko, Kepa, Lindleoff etc, where you're hoping they can step up. All have shown that they are capable/excellent at a good level already week in week out.

This is a case of credit, where credit is due in my book. Obviously Chelsea aren't perfect yet (particularly in defence still) however, if they do get the three rumoured to come in plus a GK who can be classed as competent, that probably means a CB/GK in 2021 will push them up towards Dipper/City level but arguably with more depth.

mu4c_20le

You won't want to hear this, but I think a big chunk of that money should've been spent on a CB, a rock to build your foundation on. The teams that Lampard himself played in were always solid at the back, and yet, with the imminent signing of Chilwell, it looks like he is more interested in building an attacking side to try and outscore the opponent. You already had a pretty decent functioning team, scoring goals wasn't a big issue until the end of the season, so I didn't see a need to completely revamp the attack.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
You won't want to hear this, but I think a big chunk of that money should've been spent on a CB, a rock to build your foundation on. The teams that Lampard himself played in were always solid at the back, and yet, with the imminent signing of Chilwell, it looks like he is more interested in building an attacking side to try and outscore the opponent. You already had a pretty decent functioning team, scoring goals wasn't a big issue until the end of the season, so I didn't see a need to completely revamp the attack.

You think we're done spending? Oh my sweet summer child.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
You think we're done spending? Oh my sweet summer child.
Well I think it depends. Looking at the way Chelsea are operating, I wouldn't be surprised if Upa is the real CB option but they know they cannot get him until Summer 21, so they are taking Silva now so that they have someone that can control the back line. It wouldn't surprise me if he is seen as virtually a player/coach considering the way Chelsea's CB's went walkies last season.

After that, all that really needs to be done is a GK and possibly a big DMF like Rice. However, surely Oblak or a Ter Stegan are out of reach, I mean the economics of either are just insane considering Oblak already earns £300k+ per week and TS is looking for that sort of money. Further, there is Kepa who is ranking in £170k. This is before fees.

As for a Rice type signing, West Ham have all the power there. Unless they do need money for something I reckon he is impossible until 2021 or 2022 at the earliest. Also, unlike the others he is more of an unknown, so getting him now is a big risk as he is probably going to be £65m+. I think with him it is better to wait a year or two, as lets face it, if Chelsea are interested in him, he will go there as he is obviously a massive fan.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I agree but who realistically is available? Upamecano perhaps, but he's still young and not fully developed; another year at RBL will do him a world of good. Getting Thiago Silva on a short term free is ideal; we take advantage of the COVID crisis to make opportunistic deals for attackers we'd otherwise be second favourites for (e.g. Havertz, Werner) and wait until next summer to push for a top class CB.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
I agree but who realistically is available? Upamecano perhaps, but he's still young and not fully developed; another year at RBL will do him a world of good. Getting Thiago Silva on a short term free is ideal; we take advantage of the COVID crisis to make opportunistic deals for attackers we'd otherwise be second favourites for (e.g. Havertz, Werner) and wait until next summer to push for a top class CB.
Goalkeeper is a needs must imo.
If anything we should keep an eye on arsenals martinez with leno coming back from injury is he happy to go back to the bench.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Goalkeeper is a needs must imo.
If anything we should keep an eye on arsenals martinez with leno coming back from injury is he happy to go back to the bench.
Yeah 100%. I'd be shocked if we don't bring in someone this summer to be honest.

LVGSdive

He'll go back to Spain somewhere, be it on loan or permanently. Valencia have been mooted but they're a trainwreck right now so who knows.
Spain is bleeding money after Covid 19. Especially when it comes to spending money on a goal keeper that can't dive to his left hand side.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Big pressure on Lampard to deliver this season now. If they get a goalkeeper then I think they'll be up there, but I still think they're 3rd favorites behind Liverpool and City for the title.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout

el3mel

Silva will be a disaster in Premier league if they're thinking of depending on him in defense but their attacking signings are all great.