Chelsea 2020/21 - General discussion

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Ziyech seemed to have more to his game at Ajax. He's turned into a cut inside and cross to the far post merchant at Chelsea.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
Ziyech seemed to have more to his game at Ajax. He's turned into a cut inside and cross to the far post merchant at Chelsea.
I was never impressed by him - nor by any of his Ajax mates to be fair. I would still try him next season.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I was never impressed by him - nor by any of his Ajax mates to be fair. I would still try him next season.
I have learnt with Rudiger to give players time. I was ready to wash my hands of him and sell him last summer. I wanted him gone. He's now one of the top defenders in the league. I'm.more than happy to wait and see with Ziyech.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
I know we need a striker but if we play the same way next season I struggle to think of someone how can play like Werner (but finish his chances). He is terrific for so many things and for our play in general. I really hope he finds his radar next season.

As much as I miss Drogba I don’t see Tuchel really wanting such a player. He relies on the space from other teams pressing us and that’s why he doesn’t use Tammy. So I don’t think we will bid Lukaku unless we get desperate.

Also I’ve said it like 5 times prior but we won’t be signing Sancho. I don’t even think we will even bid for him, probably dortmund or his agent trying to get a bidding war going.

Frank Sinatra Fan

I have learnt with Rudiger to give players time. I was ready to wash my hands of him and sell him last summer. I wanted him gone. He's now one of the top defenders in the league. I'm.more than happy to wait and see with Ziyech.
If I'm not mistaken, even Drogba had a rough first season at Chelsea.

Not even De Jong and De Ligt? They were massive for Ajax in 2019. And whil De Ligt has had problems at Juve, he honestly admits he feels the pressure and is nervous, Barcelona fans often rank De Jong as one of Barcelona's best players.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I know we need a striker but if we play the same way next season I struggle to think of someone how can play like Werner (but finish his chances). He is terrific for so many things and for our play in general. I really hope he finds his radar next season.

As much as I miss Drogba I don’t see Tuchel really wanting such a player. He relies on the space from other teams pressing us and that’s why he doesn’t use Tammy. So I don’t think we will bid Lukaku unless we get desperate.

Also I’ve said it like 5 times prior but we won’t be signing Sancho. I don’t even think we will even bid for him, probably dortmund or his agent trying to get a bidding war going.
That's how I see it too. I think betting on Werner finding his radar again is worth the gamble.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
If I'm not mistaken, even Drogba had a rough first season at Chelsea.
Yeah he statistically Drogba's first two seasons at Chelsea were kinda similar to Werner this season, but Drogba, much like Werner, was a huge part of the system the team played.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
What would others think about Lukaku potentially coming back? Seems to me like it's a reasonable probability, if Tuchel OK with it anyway.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
How the feck did that get that Azpilicueta red overturned?

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
What would others think about Lukaku potentially coming back? Seems to me like it's a reasonable probability, if Tuchel OK with it anyway.
You can't be serious. Tuchel would have to built a completely new team with Lukaku in the mix.

Noodle

Supports
Chelsea
Anyone else starting to get nervous for Saturday yet? I'm pleased we've settled CL qualification already so that takes a slight edge off but i'm going to be a mess come Saturday.

In 2012 i remember rocking backwards and forwards through the entire game :houllier:

gajender

Anyone else starting to get nervous for Saturday yet? I'm pleased we've settled CL qualification already so that takes a slight edge off but i'm going to be a mess come Saturday.

In 2012 i remember rocking backwards and forwards through the entire game :houllier:
Don't you'll be alright you will win .

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
That's how I see it too. I think betting on Werner finding his radar again is worth the gamble.
Wasn't Werner always very wasteful, except for his last season. Seem to remember him coming on as a sub and missing presentable chances in the last world cup. Though with players like him its their ability to get into scoring positions that more important than his finishing.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Wasn't Werner always very wasteful, except for his last season. Seem to remember him coming on as a sub and missing presentable chances in the last world cup. Though with players like him its their ability to get into scoring positions that more important than his finishing.
He's historically been pretty average - last 4 seasons G-xG are -1.5, +1.2, +5.6, and this season -5.9.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
You are right, he was never the most clinical striker. But he also usually is not as bad as this season at Chelsea, the amount of bad luck he has is just incredible. Something like 15-20 goals a PL season would probably more like his "typical" level, while his assists are pretty good I think. Just don't expect him to lead the line and be the clinical finisher, that is just not going to happen.

But anyway this season just might be the right build up for a hattrick in the CL final I guess :lol:

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah he isn't really that clinical, but we just need him to not be unprecedented levels of wasteful/unlucky.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Even in his last season he was wasteful and missed some sitters. Also scored some very good goals and I guess that's the reason why overall he outperformed his xG, but Werner was never an icecold finisher. The moment he does, he could have scary output. But I doubt that'll be the case anytime soon.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
Even in his last season he was wasteful and missed some sitters. Also scored some very good goals and I guess that's the reason why overall he outperformed his xG, but Werner was never an icecold finisher. The moment he does, he could have scary output. But I doubt that'll be the case anytime soon.
Yeah, thats the impression I had with him before he came to chelsea. Even at current level he's fair value for money. If he improves on his finishing, then Chelsea would've hit the jackpot.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

Some interesting quotes.

Well worth your time reading the entire thing.

You know, I think very often about Daniele De Rossi. He came to me after the Lazio match and he said something that I don’t think I had ever heard before. I was still very emotional, very angry. De Rossi sat down next to me and said, “Toni, I know I will never feel the same as you. But let me understand your pain. What is going on inside your head?”

He did not tweet. He did not post a black square. He cared.

A lot of people in football say things publicly, but they never really come to you personally. De Rossi really wanted to know how I felt. This guy was a club icon. A legend. When I came into the dressing room for the first time, just seeing him made me feel like I was a nervous little kid.

But in my toughest moment, De Rossi cared about me as a human being. He wanted to understand.

I don’t care who you are, if you grew up in Berlin-Neukölln like I did, or in the banlieues of Paris, or in any immigrant neighborhood in the world, you know the code: If you see somebody’s mom walking down the street carrying a bunch of bags from the market, you stop whatever you’re doing and help her.

There is an understanding that even though we are from different backgrounds and speak different languages at home, we are all living in this neighborhood shoulder to shoulder.

One day I was walking down the street near my building when I saw an older German lady carrying some grocery bags. She was like a grandma, very weak and struggling. So I went over to help her. I said, “Here, I’ll help you with the bags. I can take them up.”

And I will never forget this lady turning to me, and the look of fear on her face.

She thought that I was trying to steal her bags.

She really thought that I was robbing her.

It was just a moment. But you can’t get that moment back. The innocence ― it’s gone.

That’s when I realized, Oh, this is how some people will always see me, huh? I was born here, but I will never be German to some Germans.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea

Some interesting quotes.

Well worth your time reading the entire thing.
society is still in a sad state and doesn't seem to be changing any time soon

fair play to de rossi i always thought he was a top player nice to know hes a top guy too

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
This is an excellent read.
Good post.
Nicely written - quite surprising from a Chelsea player!
I read the article again this morning. It really is well written. I felt every bit of emotion he put into it.

This bit really helped me understand the person he is a bit more, and why he plays the way he plays.

For me, football was not about dreaming. It was about survival.

It was almost like choosing to become a plumber or a baker or a lawyer. It was a way to provide. I would be lying to you if I said that I dreamed of having big cars or playing in the Champions League or whatever. No, this football adventure was about taking my family out of Neukölln, period.

I can remember the exact moment when I had this realization. I was in the kitchen one morning and I asked my mother for a little bit of money. I think it was for a school trip or something. It was just a few euros. But she could not give it to me.

And I remember exactly what hurt me. It was not that she said no. It was the look on her face. We know our mums better than we know anyone else. What broke my heart was that I could see that she wanted so badly to give me the money, but she couldn’t.

And I literally said to myself, “I have to be a man now. I have to get my family out.”

I was like eight years old. Seriously.

If you didn’t grow up in an immigrant neighborhood, you might think I’m exaggerating. But I guarantee you that some people are saying, “Eight years old? Brother, you were lucky. I had to become a man at six!!!”

Outsiders, sometimes it’s hard for them to understand.

I remember when Thomas Tuchel came in as the manager at Chelsea, he asked me an interesting question. Obviously, we are both German, but we didn’t know each other personally. I was having a difficult time at Chelsea before Tuchel took over, so when he came in, I think he was trying to figure me out.

He said, “Toni, let me ask you something. I watch you and I see that you are so aggressive on the pitch. You play with so much emotion. Where does this come from?”

And I told him my story. We talked for a bit. But really, I could have just said one word….

“Neukölln.”

It’s that simple.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Anyone else just getting random adrenaline rushes throughout the day just thinking about tomorrow? It's like I'm on a war setting, sat at my desk doing some tedious spreadsheet shite.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
I read the article again this morning. It really is well written. I felt every bit of emotion he put into it.

This bit really helped me understand the person he is a bit more, and why he plays the way he plays.
Rudigers been a force since Tommy come. Even with all that aggression he's not been over the top and picking up bookings and whatnot. It's been controlled.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Rudigers been a force since Tommy come. Even with all that aggression he's not been over the top and picking up bookings and whatnot. It's been controlled.
Yeah completely agree. He also has has these random beast-mode moments where he just charges around the pitch, dribbling, tackling, kicking everything. But it's mostly controlled.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Anyone else just getting random adrenaline rushes throughout the day just thinking about tomorrow? It's like I'm on a war setting, sat at my desk doing some tedious spreadsheet shite.
I have tried to keep myself busy to make the days go faster. I have had moments this week where my heart drops to my gut when I think about Saturday. Just one more sleep though.

TheLord

I have tried to keep myself busy to make the days go faster. I have had moments this week where my heart drops to my gut when I think about Saturday. Just one more sleep though.
I suppose it is easier on the nerves knowing that your team is the clear underdog. Wouldn’t it have been more nerve-racking if the opposing team was more on the same playing level, like Liverpool for instance.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I suppose it is easier on the nerves knowing that your team is the clear underdog. Wouldn’t it have been more nerve-racking if the opposing team was more on the same playing level, like Liverpool for instance.
You're probably right, but it's a Champions League final at the end of the day, with all that's on the table, it's impossible to remain calm. The nerves will probably be unbearable, and non-stop from the moment I wake up tomorrow. I'm feeling OK for now though.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Seems like Lukaku to Chelsea is really happening.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Tomorrow would’ve been more fun if Chelsea had the added pressure of having to win to qualify for next season’s competition.

Anyone think they’ll do it? My money is on City.