Chelsea 2020/21 - General discussion

Noodle

Supports
Chelsea
Sancho only goes to Chelsea if United don't fancy him.
Why? Sancho is a Chelsea fan, born in London and friends with some of our players, if both teams bid the same there is only one winner

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Tuchel likes Sancho. I think they will get at least one of his targets.
Why ? It's clear as day we need a 9. We have enough wingers or cams. We need someone up top whose gonna stick it in the net CONSISTENTLY

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Why ? It's clear as day we need a 9. We have enough wingers or cams. We need someone up top whose gonna stick it in the net CONSISTENTLY
Oh I agree, I think getting a 9 is a given.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Why? Sancho is a Chelsea fan, born in London and friends with some of our players, if both teams bid the same there is only one winner
Have to agree, I think if Chelsea get serious and match whatever Utd offer Sancho would pick Chelsea for the above reasons.

However, Chelsea do not really need Sancho, another AM for Chelsea would require two of their current AM's to be sold (probably Ziyech and CHO) and they would still have to issue of no CF and needing a DMF/CM that isn't a midget.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Probably would have challenged at some point.

Only Pep wins/guarantees more league success than him.
Yeah my worry with him is that he ends up at United in the near future when his project at Inter has run it's course and Ole has taken United as far as he can.

TheReligion

Abusive
I don't think there is any truth to that. Chelsea have a really good relationship with Dortmund doing transfers. Sancho has ties to several of Chelsea players. Dortmund has shown interest in CHO. Man Utd is not the desired destination it once was with players. Perhaps it will change now that Ed is gone, but the wheels turn very slowly with transfers there lately.

At this point it is all just rumours.
You've just spent pretty big on Amad for that position long term, haven't you? With Rashford on the other wing you'll not be going big in the market on those positions, will you?
I think it's fairly common knowledge the Chelsea withdrew interest in the summer and looked elsewhere as the player preferred United. He had his heart set on the move which didn't happen however it's widely reported it will do in the summer. Sancho pretty much grew up in Manchester and is quite close to a number of our players.

As I say, if United go in for him then it's pretty much nailed on given they already had personal terms in the summer.

TheReligion

Abusive
You've just spent pretty big on Amad for that position long term, haven't you? With Rashford on the other wing you'll not be going big in the market on those positions, will you?
I wouldn't say big, 19m with the potential to rise to 30s. He was purchased from the academy budget with a view to long term project so don't see the relevance. A bit like how Chelsea viewed signing Havertz.

We want a set of forwards that can play anywhere across the front three and Sancho fits the bill.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
I think it's fairly common knowledge the Chelsea withdrew interest in the summer and looked elsewhere as the player preferred United. He had his heart set on the move which didn't happen however it's widely reported it will do in the summer. Sancho pretty much grew up in Manchester and is quite close to a number of our players.

As I say, if United go in for him then it's pretty much nailed on given they already had personal terms in the summer.
This story is growing by the hour. Usually when there is this much smoke.....something is happening.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/blog-tr...-launch-robust-bid-for-dortmunds-jadon-sancho

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
It's relevant if you believe he'll sign for Chelsea cause he has pictures of Drogba on his bedroom wall.
I don't think him being a Chelsea fan will have much of an impact in any decision, no.

Him living in Manchester for 2 years can't be described as "most of his childhood" though, that's just ridiculous.

He's a Londoner and all his family are in London. If you think that won't come into his thinking then fair enough.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
There were reports last year that Chelsea withdrew from the Sancho pursuit because they felt he would go to United. So yeah, if United pursue him, they're probably still the favourites. It's a year later though, and a lot can change in that time.

TheReligion

Abusive
I don't think him being a Chelsea fan will have much of an impact in any decision, no.

Him living in Manchester for 2 years can't be described as "most of his childhood" though, that's just ridiculous.

He's a Londoner and all his family are in London. If you think that won't come into his thinking then fair enough.
I don't think it will given he's been in Germany for a few years. He's had little to do with London for a while.

TheReligion

Abusive
There were reports last year that Chelsea withdrew from the Sancho pursuit because they felt he would go to United. So yeah, if United pursue him, they're probably still the favourites. It's a year later though, and a lot can change in that time.
Yeah exactly that's what I'm thinking.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I don't think it will given he's been in Germany for a few years. He's had little to do with London for a while.
I'll let the man himself reply to you regarding him having "little to do with London" (this is him talking when he opened a pitch in London).

"Growing up in Kennington has made me the man I am today; I owe a lot to South London for nurturing the way I play,” There’s something special in South East London. Not only the football but also the people. Without it, my journey wouldn’t have been the same. I definitely wouldn’t be the player that I am today. Kennington is home and I will always scream South East. It taught me so much and it’s an incredible feeling. To be able to give something back to the community here is great."

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper

Are there any quotes from Sancho about this? I ask as all I saw was rumour mill, which you have to take with a pinch of salt.

As for Sancho, I have seen direct quotes from him that South London will always be home, his family are all there and that he was a Chelsea fan growing up.

Going on what I have actually seen Sancho has said himself, and the absolute disregard I have for any transfer news that doesn't come from the player/either club directly involved, I would say that if everything is equal Sancho would pick Chelsea over Utd.

However, I don't see why Chelsea would sign him. They're already stacked at AM in terms of depth and quality and their squad needs lie elsewhere. Only way I really see an option for them coming to the table is if Dortmund want either one of Ziyech or CHO, as that would take a serious chunk off Sancho's fee.

Last edited:

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
https://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation...ea-scoring-more-goals-and-how-can-we-fix-that

Thought this was an interesting data-driven piece personally. Dunno how much stock I put into it as generally I'd agree that a 9 should be the priority, but this at least made me think a bit.
Nah that's reactionary after the arsenal game cause they sat back. Even in that game havertz missed a sitter zouma and giroud hit the bar mount had 2 chances etc. We were shit but still had chances
Under tuchel we either have the 1st or 2nd most chances created. Our top scorer in the league is jorginho with 7 penalties. It's just not good enough. We need someone up top whose gonna get 20 plus goals guaranteed.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Nah that's reactionary after the arsenal game cause they sat back. Even in that game havertz missed a sitter zouma and giroud hit the bar mount had 2 chances etc. We were shit but still had chances
Under tuchel we either have the 1st or 2nd most chances created. Our top scorer in the league is jorginho with 7 penalties. It's just not good enough. We need someone up top whose gonna get 20 plus goals guaranteed.
Yeah for sure, our finishing has been generally quite poor this season. Personally I thought we were better at moving the ball into dangerous areas but these data are fairly compelling I thought over a pretty meaningful sample.

Also don't think it's outlandish to think Havertz can be that guy up top. As you say though it'd be nice to not have that hanging over us as a question mark for next year.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Problem is there are only a very few players in the world that can do that and all of them are nearly impossible for Chelsea:

Messi - Not happening and old
CR7 - As above. However, maybe actually the most realistic (compared to the others' on the list if Juve don't get CL.)
Lewa - As above
Kun - Looks a little washed. Maybe if he plays you could get a season or two. However, sounds unlikely to stay in England.
Håland - Questionable if he can actually maintain his rate to England. Insanely expensive and his club are refusing to sell.
Kane - Spurs will never sell to Chelsea. Glass ankles.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Problem is there are only a very few players in the world that can do that and all of them are nearly impossible for Chelsea:

Messi - Not happening and old
CR7 - As above. However, maybe actually the most realistic (compared to the others' on the list if Juve don't get CL.)
Lewa - As above
Kun - Looks a little washed. Maybe if he plays you could get a season or two. However, sounds unlikely to stay in England.
Håland - Questionable if he can actually maintain his rate to England. Insanely expensive and his club are refusing to sell.
Kane - Spurs will never sell to Chelsea. Glass ankles.
Lukaku probably makes the most sense? But given the age difference if they're the same price Sancho is more in line with the rest of our squad.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Lukaku probably makes the most sense? But given the age difference if they're the same price Sancho is more in line with the rest of our squad.
I'll eat my words if it happens & he makes it, but to me he seems like a bad fit for the fluid attacking game Tuchel wants to play.

It's not like the chances just happen anyway and you only have to stick someone up there to finish them off. The #9 is a huge part of Chelsea's chance creation too, and to me Lukaku doesn't have the ability on the required level.

Last edited:

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I'll eat my words if it happens & he makes it, but to me he seems like a bad fit for the fluid attacking game Tuchel wants to play.

It's not like the chances just happen anyway and you only have to stick someone up there to finish them. The #9 is a huge part of Chelsea's chance creation too, and to me Lukaku doesn't have the ability on the required level.
Lukaku guarantees goals, we can be sure of that, but that's always been my worry. Is the trade off worth it? I'm not sure.

Tuchel is a great tactician though, so I suppose it wouldn't be too much to expect him to be able to create a system where someone like Lukaku can flourish and the attacking fluidity and structure doesn't suffer a great deal. Maybe someone like Lautaru Martinez is the better fit, even if he doesn't bring Lukaku's volume of goals.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Cannot see Lukaku at Chelsea. Tuchel would have a stoke on the sideline watching his first touch.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea

It's not like the chances just happen anyway and you only have to stick someone up there to finish them off. The #9 is a huge part of Chelsea's chance creation as well, and to me Lukaku doesn't have the ability on the required level.
Yeah depends a lot on how much stock you put into his improvement in Italy for the past couple years in that department - this past year he's 90th percentile among strikers in shot creating actions at about 3.5 per game, which is more or less 50% better than he did at United. For comparison's sake, Haaland is at 2.3 per 90, Benzema is at 3.2 per 90, Firmino is at 3.2 per 90, Suarez 2.4, etc. Both years at United Lukaku was around 2.3, but last year he was at 3.1 and this year 3.5. If that's real then he can play in any system.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
I'll let the man himself reply to you regarding him having "little to do with London" (this is him talking when he opened a pitch in London).

"Growing up in Kennington has made me the man I am today; I owe a lot to South London for nurturing the way I play,” There’s something special in South East London. Not only the football but also the people. Without it, my journey wouldn’t have been the same. I definitely wouldn’t be the player that I am today. Kennington is home and I will always scream South East. It taught me so much and it’s an incredible feeling. To be able to give something back to the community here is great."
I look forward to his imminent signing for Millwall or Palace.

Also - you know The Religion is wumming you, right? He's always just subtle enough to get away with it. :lol:

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
Lukaku guarantees goals, we can be sure of that, but that's always been my worry. Is the trade off worth it? I'm not sure.

Tuchel is a great tactician though, so I suppose it wouldn't be too much to expect him to be able to create a system where someone like Lukaku can flourish and the attacking fluidity and structure doesn't suffer a great deal. Maybe someone like Lautaru Martinez is the better fit, even if he doesn't bring Lukaku's volume of goals.
Agreed about the worries. If Tuchel wants to play the current system next year and rather add a couple a players to refine it I'd be kind of worried with someone like Lukaku - high risk/reward type of situation. If possible I'd rather go for Sancho instead , or Martinez to maintain that highly flexible attacking system. Since the current system works rather well and one could argue can yield much better results in the future either due to more time to train and Havertz/Ziyech/Werner being more accustomed to the PL next season I don't think TT is desparate to change it. But becoming more flexible could also mean implementing a second system which would be interesting with a more traditional "true" no.9 like Lukaku. Although I can see Werner profting playing alongside someone like that. Kane would be ideal since he can play deep or up front but he's injury prone, unbelievable expensive and most likely wouldn't sign for Chelsea anyway.

Bearded One

Klopp is excellent manager but he is not serial winner. Conte is, Pep is, Jose was....Klopp isn't.
But would you, hand on heart, say that Conte is better? I’d rather have Klopp in my team than Conte and this is taking nothing from Conte’s brilliance.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
But would you, hand on heart, say that Conte is better? I’d rather have Klopp in my team than Conte and this is taking nothing from Conte’s brilliance.
Don't know who would i take. I like trophies. :wenger:
But yeah, of course that Klopp is better. No question about it.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Conte is a massive cnut, but his record is insane. 5 titles in 7 seasons. Klopp is nowhere near that. Additionally, he has gone in at teams that have been underperforming.

Juve

7th to three titles on the trot.

Chelsea

10th to Champions. Ok, second season wasn't great but he still got a FA Cup and 5th.

Inter

No higher than 4th in their previous 8 seasons. Only 2 CL qualifications in that time. Title within two years.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Ah I see we're on last years argument about Sancho being a boyhood Chelsea fan ergo he wants to go to them, don't get me wrong I like some of the Chelsea fans new stuff but sometimes you just want to hear the classics :wenger:

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Ah I see we're on last years argument about Sancho being a boyhood Chelsea fan ergo he wants to go to them, don't get me wrong I like some of the Chelsea fans new stuff but sometimes you just want to hear the classics :wenger:
Well lets see. All we have heard that has directly come out of Sancho's mouth is that he was a Chelsea fan and that he views South London as home. From what I am aware, he has never directly mentioned Utd.

For me Utd are favourites to sign him as I do not see why Chelsea need him as the have holes elsewhere in the squad. However, if it comes down to a pure pick or choose decision, as both offers are exactly the same financially, I see him picking Chelsea.

TheReligion

Abusive

Seems like you're hanging your hat on this.

I wouldn't.

TheReligion

Abusive
Hanging my hat on what? I don't even want Sancho and don't think he'll be coming!

You said he didn't give a shit about London which was as wrong as when you said he spent most of his childhood in Manchester.
Don't get your hopes up.

You seem heavily invested.