Chelsea 2020/21 - General discussion

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Why ? It's clear as day we need a 9. We have enough wingers or cams. We need someone up top whose gonna stick it in the net CONSISTENTLY
Yeah I don't see Chelsea's need for a winger. Pulisic, Ziyech, Mount and Havertz all play as wide forwards in your system and basically play off the striker. Werner can also play on the left. And then you have Hudson Odoi on the right as backup. Makes no sense to add another winger unless you let a few go given some of those go.

With us, everyone likes playing centrally except for Rashford off the left. Greenwood is on the right but the long term view for him is central or at least wide going central. James is shit. That's it. So Sancho is absolutely vital.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Yeah I don't see Chelsea's need for a winger. Pulisic, Ziyech, Mount and Havertz all play as wide forwards in your system and basically play off the striker. Werner can also play on the left. And then you have Hudson Odoi on the right as backup. Makes no sense to add another winger unless you let a few go given some of those go.

With us, everyone likes playing centrally except for Rashford off the left. Greenwood is on the right but the long term view for him is central or at least wide going central. James is shit. That's it. So Sancho is absolutely vital.
Yeah, Sancho to Chelsea is an odd one. They really don't need him and if they do sign him they would be required to sell two of their existing squad in order to accommodate as some of those players are struggling to start as it is.

TheReligion

Abusive
Problem is there are only a very few players in the world that can do that and all of them are nearly impossible for Chelsea:

Messi - Not happening and old
CR7 - As above. However, maybe actually the most realistic (compared to the others' on the list if Juve don't get CL.)
Lewa - As above
Kun - Looks a little washed. Maybe if he plays you could get a season or two. However, sounds unlikely to stay in England.
Håland - Questionable if he can actually maintain his rate to England. Insanely expensive and his club are refusing to sell.
Kane - Spurs will never sell to Chelsea. Glass ankles.
Ronaldo won't go to Chelsea. Would only ever return to United and said so himself.

Your handle and feel for transfers is pretty poor Dave I must say. You're also totally wide of the mark on Sancho.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Ronaldo won't go to Chelsea. Would only ever return to United and said so himself.

Your handle and feel for transfers is pretty poor Dave I must say. You're also totally wide of the mark on Sancho.
I said in the post nearly all where impossible i.e. incredibly unlikely. So, not sure how that is an outrageous comment. CR7 imo will stay at Juve, he may have to leave if they do not get CL as I am not sure they can afford his wages.

If that happens, where does he go? There are only about five clubs that could afford him, with Chelsea being one, even if they're the last option.

As for Sancho, provide me with a direct quote out off his mouth talking positively about Utd/Manchester and I will be happy to say that he has more affinity for the club. Also, it doesn't look like you've read the comments properly as I have said Utd are favourites for him as I cannot see why Chelsea would want him. All I have done is that I have addrd the caveat that, owing to what we know he has actually said, I would lean towards him picking Chelsea/London if he was given a pure pick your destination if everything was exactly the same financially.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Why ? It's clear as day we need a 9. We have enough wingers or cams. We need someone up top whose gonna stick it in the net CONSISTENTLY
Because the chance to sign a player like Sancho doesn't come very often. Might be the first English player really contending for the Ballon D'Or since decades. Especially since he's also good for 15-20 goals a season and you can play Havertz as a false 9, who also is good enough to score 15-20.

If I were you, I'd go for him immediately. He could be the icing on the cake for you. And I believe he would pick you ahead of United if given the choice.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Because the chance to sign a player like Sancho doesn't come very often. Might be the first English player really contending for the Ballon D'Or since decades. Especially since he's also good for 15-20 goals a season and you can play Havertz as a false 9, who also is good enough to score 15-20.

If I were you, I'd go for him immediately. He could be the icing on the cake for you. And I believe he would pick you ahead of United if given the choice.
No thanks. We had a whole window of a player like this doesn't come around very often.
We need a 9. We need someone whose gonna be clinical at the top end of the pitch. Havertz doesn't guarantee that and even then with giroud and tammy leaving we need a striker anyway.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
No thanks. We had a whole window of a player like this doesn't come around very often.
We need a 9. We need someone whose gonna be clinical at the top end of the pitch. Havertz doesn't guarantee that and even then with giroud and tammy leaving we need a striker anyway.
That is it pretty much, sell Tammy, Giroud released, replace with one player who has to be a proven goal scorer. We're only averaging 1.5 goals a game this season and we need to be getting that up to 2 with a similar defensive record to be where we want.

Don't see us doing much if any business other than that.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
City didn't need a striker either this season. Nor did Liverpool last season or the season before that. The goals will come eventually. Creating the chances is always the most difficult part. Changing the formation to fit a striker in could cause more harm than improvement. And with Werner and Havertz you already signed two players who provided bucket loads of goals at their previous teams. Havertz scored 17 in a single league season as a midfielder, Werner scored 28 or so. Makes no sense to spend 150m on them if you don't give them time.

Also, who would you sign? It would be mental to let a talent like Sancho go elsewhere in order to sign a 30+ year old striker. And those aside, there's nobody on the market. Tuchel will not play somebody just because he scores goals. If he doesn't offer enough outside of goals. he'll find himself on the bench. To me it would be a no brainer for you to sign Sancho.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Easy, let's just get Sancho, Haaland and a new top CB. No problems! :lol:

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'

Why is that?

this should be interesting...

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Why is that?

this should be interesting...
I typed an answer but deleted it because I don't want to derail this thread again. Let's just say I think Chelsea would be better for his development.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I typed an answer but deleted it because I don't want to derail this thread again. Let's just say I think Chelsea would be better for his development.
Unsurprising answer but fair enough.

Ultimately I don’t think he makes that much sense for Chelsea so I doubt they go for him anyway.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Aurelien Tchouameni to Chelsea said to be done. All personal terms agreed, just need the official announcement, which Chelsea can take some time to do.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
oh a dm/cm
thats good
second on the list after
GET A feckING STRIKER
I know you desperately want a striker, but unless we get a really specific type of striker, I'm more than happy to run it back with the options we currently have. Yeah we can get a striker in to replace a bench option like Giroud, if he leaves, and I'm obviously not going to turn down a chance to sign Haaland or Kane, but I'm really, really intrigued by Kai Havertz and his potential in that role and I'm hesitant to mess with his development, if that makes sense.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
I know you desperately want a striker, but unless we get a really specific type of striker, I'm more than happy to run it back with the options we currently have. Yeah we can get a striker in to replace a bench option like Giroud, if he leaves, and I'm obviously not going to turn down a chance to sign Haaland or Kane, but I'm really, really intrigued by Kai Havertz and his potential in that role and I'm hesitant to mess with his development, if that makes sense.
nope nope nope
no more waiting on players if we want to build a serious side to challenge city we need a player up top who will hit 20 plus goals
our top scorer in the league is jorginho with 7 fecking pens
im more than happy to back havertz (who can play across the line) and werner ( who is more suited to the left off a frontman anyway) but we need someone clinical up front
even in games we play shit like arsenal the other day we have a proper 9 we bury them by 2 or 3

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
nope nope nope
no more waiting on players if we want to build a serious side to challenge city we need a player up top who will hit 20 plus goals
our top scorer in the league is jorginho with 7 fecking pens
im more than happy to back havertz (who can play across the line) and werner ( who is more suited to the left off a frontman anyway) but we need someone clinical up front
even in games we play shit like arsenal the other day we have a proper 9 we bury them by 2 or 3
We need to give Havertz the best possible opportunity to flourish. The club has invested a lot into him and his potential. He's just begun to show signs of genuine progress in that role and it would, to me, make little sense bring in a #9 and mess with that progress just because we underperformed our xG this season. If City buy Kane, we're most likely not competing with them regardless and bringing in someone like Lukaku won't change that.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
We need to give Havertz the best possible opportunity to flourish. The club has invested a lot into him and his potential. He's just begun to show signs of genuine progress in that role and it would, to me, make little sense bring in a #9 and mess with that progress just because we underperformed our xG this season. If City buy Kane, we're most likely not competing with them regardless and bringing in someone like Lukaku won't change that.
Not with that attitude.
Since Tommy Come our defence has been immense. Our achillies heel is our attack. Iirc we've made the most chances since Tommy come and we still can't score.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
I am not so sure City are going to clean up like everyone thinks. I look at their side and they have a few big players that are either going to be on their downward spiral (i.e. blow their peak level now) in the few years or gone:

KdB - Has another 2 years of peak at most. Still will be a very good player but not what he is atm.
Gundogan - Likely gone in 2 years
Walker - Probably already past his peak
Kun - Gone this Summer (I preferred him at his peak to Kane.)
Fernandinho - Gone soon.
Mahrez - Will be past his peak in two years.
Sterling and Silva - both probably got two years of peak and then will start to tail.

For me, City will probably still be top dogs for the next two years, but I do not see them as ultra scary past that, even with Kane who probably ages out with KdB, Sterling, Silva and Gundogan.

Of course, they'll keep buying but those players will require some picks to be replaced. However, at CB and GK they're set for 5-8 years.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Not with that attitude.
Since Tommy Come our defence has been immense. Our achillies heel is our attack. Iirc we've made the most chances since Tommy come and we still can't score.
But since Tuchel has come in, the #9, whether it be Werner or Havertz, has been a big part of that chance creation. It's why we sometimes look completely out of sync when Giroud starts a game because, although his scoring rate is really good, he has an negative adverse impact on our fluidity and chance creation. Lukaku will bring goals, for sure but will the team suffer in other areas with him? I think so.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I am not so sure City are going to clean up like everyone thinks. I look at their side and they have a few big players that are either going to be on their downward spiral (i.e. blow their peak level now) in the few years or gone:

KdB - Has another 2 years of peak at most. Still will be a very good player but not what he is atm.
Gundogan - Likely gone in 2 years
Walker - Probably already past his peak
Kun - Gone this Summer (I preferred him at his peak to Kane.)
Fernandinho - Gone soon.
Mahrez - Will be past his peak in two years.
Sterling and Silva - both probably got two years of peak and then will start to tail.

For me, City will probably still be top dogs for the next two years, but I do not see them as ultra scary past that, even with Kane who probably ages out with KdB, Sterling, Silva and Gundogan.

Of course, they'll keep buying but those players will require some picks to be replaced. However, at CB and GK they're set for 5-8 years.
I meant specifically competing with them for the title next season tbh mate.

I agree with your short to mid-term assessment of City.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
But since Tuchel has come in, the #9, whether it be Werner or Havertz, has been a big part of that chance creation. It's why we sometimes look completely out of sync when Giroud starts a game because, although his scoring rate is really good, he has an negative adverse impact on our fluidity and chance creation. Lukaku will bring goals, for sure but will the team suffer in other areas with him? I think so.
Lukaku isn't the only striker in the world.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Lukaku isn't the only striker in the world.
Yeah obviously, but he's who we've been linked with the most so I used him as an example, but the argument from me about Havertz remains the same regardless who the striker is, aside from a very select few.

Last edited:

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
What’s the verdict on Ziyech? He seems so disinterested when I see him. Clearly got useful skills but really sloppy and he doesn’t seem to respond to his mistakes at all productively...

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
What’s the verdict on Ziyech? He seems so disinterested when I see him. Clearly got useful skills but really sloppy and he doesn’t seem to respond to his mistakes at all productively...
He had two incredble games back in October where I thought he would be the crown jewel of the team. He's suffered a couple of niggly injuries but he's been completely underwhelming. Not sure how he fits into the team.

Last edited:

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I was convinced he'd be the best of all our signings. He's been the worst since Tuchel came in.

I'd imagine Tuchel will want to bring a few players of his own in and wouldn't be surprised if Ziyech goes. There's clearly a very talented player in there but sometimes they don't fit in a managers system.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Their defensive set up might frustrate City in the final. But I fear this time Pep will come up with a solution.
Will Mendy and Kante be back?

jakko

Supports
Chelsea
He's been disappointing, especially when you consider he's 28 and in his prime. Like you say he looks disinterested at times, his dribbling is non existent and is always looking for the hollywood pass.