Chelsea 2022/2023 | THIS IS LAST YEARS THREAD YOU NUMPTIES

Status
Not open for further replies.

Real Madras

Supports
Real Oviedo
They signed him but they can't register him for the league...

What an embarrassing football club. They did the same with Aguero and a few others if I remember correctly. The Arthur/Pjanic deal stood out for me. Awfully run club. Dare I say it, far worse than us.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
It’s absolutely imperative that we continue to finish in the CL places. So I can’t agree with the old “it’s better to not sign anyone rather than overpay” mantra.

Arsenal and Spurs have already massively improved their squads. United can’t possibly be worse than last season. If we have to overpay a bit to secure Tuchel’s top targets than we need to do it.

Everyone around us has improved whilst we have taken a temporary step back until a couple of CB’s are brought in.
Problem is if we sign lukaku like players in next two windows we will be nowhere near top 4. So better wait for targets and move for that with proper valuation.

Not like other teams we went through lot of changes.Certainly time is not on our side.But we go after certain targets with proper valuation and all of our targets wanted to move from their current clubs. It's encouraging we try to sign players which is a plus.

Still think sterling,two new defenders,cornet or raphinha will play for us at the start of the season. Mathaus Nunes from sporting cp also linked with us recently.

We don't want to overpay. Wait till window finishes. We will sign two defenders,minimum one winger and back up for full back. Add to that Conor and broja we will be okay to start season. But two defenders must or azpi and Alonso stays and bring in one defender and use colwill.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Nunes is going to be the first signing. The area of our least need.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Well finally look like one proper winger/wide forward come into our squad. Will bring directness to our play that's terribly lacking in our general play last season.

Hopefully Barca don't come for him too. :lol:

Abraxas

It's a great signing for Chelsea. Total no brainer to get very low risk signing of a quality wide player which they need.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
Good signing for Chelsea, Is he no longer a starter for City as I think he will be a big loss to them ?
Some clubs have done some decent transfers this summer.
City are unusual in that no one other than De Bruyne is an attacker you’d consider a nailed on starter. When you have so many brilliant attacking players someone who is top class is going to miss out some games.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Are you lot having a meltdown like some of the Caf on signings?
Some Chelsea twits on Twitter are. I really only post on Talk Chelsea anymore and it has been pretty chill there with the ownership change. The only real decent was yesterday by some predicting a new owner might side track the current bids and go a glory signing like CR7, but that never happened. Some thought it was amateur hour chasing Raphinho when he was clearly he wants Barca. Overall it has been restraint and patience. I have not looked at Shed End. Following twitter has been depressing enough this window. I will wait until the window closes to see where it lands. It is abundantly clear we need a DoF with a new owner and new board

TheReligion

Abusive
Some Chelsea twits on Twitter are. I really only post on Talk Chelsea anymore and it has been pretty chill there with the ownership change. The only real decent was yesterday by some predicting a new owner might side track the current bids and go a glory signing like CR7, but that never happened. Some thought it was amateur hour chasing Raphinho when he was clearly he wants Barca. Overall it has been restraint and patience. I have not looked at Shed End. Following twitter has been depressing enough this window. I will wait until the window closes to see where it lands. It is abundantly clear we need a DoF with a new owner and new board
I don’t think it’s a coincidence our summers are following a similar pattern. Both have had overhauls behind the scenes, us with a new manager and approach. Always going to be a bit more difficult than other teams with slick systems in place.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Transfer windows are a strange thing. At first I was a little put off nothing was happening. Now we are linked to every player that is valued more than €15m.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Transfer windows are a strange thing. At first I was a little put off nothing was happening. Now we are linked to every player that is valued more than €15m.
What's the CB situation? Two out the door and Silva another year older so it looks like you might need a couple? Or do you think Tuchel will try and revert to a back four?

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
What's the CB situation? Two out the door and Silva another year older so it looks like you might need a couple? Or do you think Tuchel will try and revert to a back four?
I am shocked Sterling happened before at least one CB signing. I think Colwill has more upside than Ake….so I have no idea what Tuchel is doing?

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
From his Dodgers history I thought Boehly would hire top footballing people and let them run the operation from a sporting perspective but he really does seem to have done the complete opposite. He comes across a little like a kid with a new soccerball toy that is just having a lot of fun meeting different agents and team presidents, learning about players that are supposed to be good, and making up some crazy trade proposals.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
I am shocked Sterling happened before at least one CB signing. I think Colwill has more upside than Ake….so I have no idea what Tuchel is doing?
I think tuchel really like ake in my opinion. He is very good squad player and probably will play more than Christensen for us last season.

Very versatile and can play in defensive midfield too. Good at ball on the feet.Will come cheaply too. Pl experienced and our academy kid too.

By the look of it tuchel very insistent to get him here. Otherwise we could get tarkowski for free but we are not just looking for defender but ball playing defender who can fill multiple position in defense.

If de ligt not coming then we will look for one more defender. Bremer,skrniar,koulibally and kounde all are options.Will see.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
From his Dodgers history I thought Boehly would hire top footballing people and let them run the operation from a sporting perspective but he really does seem to have done the complete opposite. He comes across a little like a kid with a new soccerball toy that is just having a lot of fun meeting different agents and team presidents, learning about players that are supposed to be good, and making up some crazy trade proposals.
He will eventually hire more people with proper football knowledge and there's even been strong rumors about Andrea Berta of Atletico Madrid coming in as the new DoF but any such moves will probably be made after the transfer window is over. Little point hiring anyone now because as far as the ongoing window is concerned they'd already be way too late and would have to start everything from scratch which doesn't sound ideal either.

I believe the original plan was for Marina and Cech to stay on till the end of August before moving on but for some reason everything happened at a more accelerated timeline and now it's a bit of a mess with Boehly doing pretty much everything by himself, with heavy input from Tuchel of course who is said to have veto power for any transfers at least in the short term.

TheReligion

Abusive
I think tuchel really like ake in my opinion. He is very good squad player and probably will play more than Christensen for us last season.

Very versatile and can play in defensive midfield too. Good at ball on the feet.Will come cheaply too. Pl experienced and our academy kid too.

By the look of it tuchel very insistent to get him here. Otherwise we could get tarkowski for free but we are not just looking for defender but ball playing defender who can fill multiple position in defense.

If de ligt not coming then we will look for one more defender. Bremer,skrniar,koulibally and kounde all are options.Will see.
Tarkowski decided to go to Everton

TheReligion

Abusive
I don’t know much about Boehly but it does seem like amateur hour at Chelsea at the moment from the outside looking in.

I mean they haven’t been making many hits in the market recently (scouting issue perhaps?) but the operating methods and processes were smooth and clinical.

This summer seems absolutely all over the place. Dembele, Raphinha, trying to hijack Richarlison then on to Sterling. No new leading CF, fishing around Ronaldo (who has only just suggested he wants to move which again shows there’s not been a plan at Chelsea prior to that), no new top CB to replace Rudiger. Linked to De Ligt who snubs a move immediately now Nathan Ake who must be pretty uninspiring as an alternative. Thiago Silva hangs up his boots next season too which presents another headache if they don’t buy well in that area now.

Lukaku, Rudiger, Christensen out the door with Alonso and Azpilicueta close behind. Question marks over Werner and Ziyech in relation to what they can offer next season and a dilemma in midfield with Gallagher coming back and the popularity of an aging Kante waning. Havertz is another predicament really as it’s clearly difficult to accommodate him in his best role.

I’m quite interested to see how this plays out but they seem to be really struggling with recruitment and I’m not even sure what plan they are working towards with the squad they have.

Not sure I see them trusting their youth players to fill all the gaps so surely they will do some business but their window (as it stands) must be the worst out of the big clubs and I just can’t see a plan in terms of targets which is even more of a worry.

Noodle

Supports
Chelsea
I don’t know much about Boehly but it does seem like amateur hour at Chelsea at the moment from the outside looking in.

I mean they haven’t been making many hits in the market recently (scouting issue perhaps?) but the operating methods and processes were smooth and clinical.

This summer seems absolutely all over the place. Dembele, Raphinha, trying to hijack Richarlison then on to Sterling. No new leading CF, fishing around Ronaldo (who has only just suggested he wants to move which again shows there’s not been a plan at Chelsea prior to that), no new top CB to replace Rudiger. Linked to De Ligt who snubs a move immediately now Nathan Ake who must be pretty uninspiring as an alternative. Thiago Silva hangs up his boots next season too which presents another headache if they don’t buy well in that area now.

Lukaku, Rudiger, Christensen out the door with Alonso and Azpilicueta close behind. Question marks over Werner and Ziyech in relation to what they can offer next season and a dilemma in midfield with Gallagher coming back and the popularity of an aging Kante waning. Havertz is another predicament really as it’s clearly difficult to accommodate him in his best role.

I’m quite interested to see how this plays out but they seem to be really struggling with recruitment and I’m not even sure what plan they are working towards with the squad they have.

Not sure I see them trusting their youth players to fill all the gaps so surely they will do some business but their window (as it stands) must be the worst out of the big clubs and I just can’t see a plan in terms of targets which is even more of a worry.
A lot of what we’re seeing is just media speculation though. We have never submitted a formal bid for Dembele and Richarlison was just us enquiring. Sterling is getting done and Raphina looks close too (We can’t stop Barca getting involved). We’ve got another month to get players in and I’m not worried at all.

Given how late they took over and the huge changes in personal behind the scenes we were always going to have a tough window. Next season we’ll have appointed people in the right places.

Also people forget we’ve never been as clinical as they think with making transfers. Havertz dragged on for months, as did Chilwell. Then you just have to look at our disaster transfers

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
The media is playing a lot of headline games. Boehly asks about a player and it is headlines Chelsea is trying to hijack a deal. The only hijack I am aware of is Raphinha.

GlasgowCeltic

Ake about to pass 100m in fees paid for him if he rejoins Chelsea, an ok player largely over promoted due to being left footed. Mikael Silvestre played in the wrong era

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
I don't know where to begin but there's a lot wrong with what you're saying.

Sterling has been Tuchel's top target for this window all along, way before any links to the likes of Raphinha or Richarlison ever appeared. From the start the plan seems to have been to sign Sterling as well as one of Raphinha, Richarlison or Dembele to replace the outgoing Ziyech (AC Milan) and basically Lukaku as well, given Havertz should play up front which frees up space for another new player behind him. Sterling looks to be in the bag but now if/when all three others are busts, it remains to be seen if there's an alternative plan or maybe just give another shot to the likes of Pulisic and Werner?

The Ronaldo links I'll give you. Boehly is after all an American and hugely marketable big names will surely interest him, so when it first started looking like CR7 is looking to leave your lot Boehly started getting intrigued about the idea and had some preliminary discussions with Mendes. His football knowledge is probably too limited to understand what a bad fit Ronaldo would be for Tuchel's team, but luckily for us he's given Tuchel the last word and if he doesn't want Ronaldo they're not even going to try to sign him.

As far as the CB situation goes, the plan has been to sign two new defenders this summer to replace Rüdiger, Christensen and Azpilicueta. For the RCB slot the early top target of the previous board (Marina) was Jules Koundé who came very close to signing last summer already, but when it became clear last month that De Ligt is looking to leave Juventus the club paused talks with Koundé and shifted their focus to the Dutchman. De Ligt now looks like it's going to fail so maybe back to Koundé it is?

The pursuit of Nathan Aké has always been a separate idea from MDL/Koundé deals and he's being eyed for the LCB role, for which Tuchel seems to now want a left footed defender to replace Rüdiger. It also looks like the 19yo academy graduate Levi Colwill could be staying this season, he's another left footed CB who spent the last season on loan at Huddersfield. I don't necessarily think Aké is good enough to start for a team aiming to win the big titles but for the right price it could be a decent deal because the young Colwill is a very, very promising player and I wouldn't be surprised to see him overtake the position in the near future. That doesn't happen if a world class player is signed for the LCB role and in that case Colwill would go the way of Tomori, Guehi, Livramento etc. and look for a regular spot elsewhere.

Obviously there's still a lot to do and it can easily all go tits up if there are any more setbacks but at least for now I'm not in the slightest bit worried about the transfer business of Chelsea this summer and I can still very much see a plan in motion. We'll see near the start of the season how it goes.

Reactions: Sultan

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea

All the players we're linked with (bar Ronaldo) are stylistic fits that suit how Tuchel wants to play and we're by in large agreeing fees with other clubs.

The problem if you can call it that is the shelf we're shopping at (when you're competiting with Barca/Real/Bayern for players you're going to lose out occasionally) but I'd rather go for a MDL and miss out than settle for the Lenglet's of this world.

TheReligion

Abusive
A lot of what we’re seeing is just media speculation though. We have never submitted a formal bid for Dembele and Richarlison was just us enquiring. Sterling is getting done and Raphina looks close too (We can’t stop Barca getting involved). We’ve got another month to get players in and I’m not worried at all.

Given how late they took over and the huge changes in personal behind the scenes we were always going to have a tough window. Next season we’ll have appointed people in the right places.

Also people forget we’ve never been as clinical as they think with making transfers. Havertz dragged on for months, as did Chilwell. Then you just have to look at our disaster transfers
That is true there’s always a lot of media speculation around the big clubs so can be difficult to cut through it. It does seem like you’ve not had set targets though, which I find odd, and the approach doesn’t seem particularly coordinated?

I don't know where to begin but there's a lot wrong with what you're saying.

Sterling has been Tuchel's top target for this window all along, way before any links to the likes of Raphinha or Richarlison ever appeared. From the start the plan seems to have been to sign Sterling as well as one of Raphinha, Richarlison or Dembele to replace the outgoing Ziyech (AC Milan) and basically Lukaku as well, given Havertz should play up front which frees up space for another new player behind him. Sterling looks to be in the bag but now if/when all three others are busts, it remains to be seen if there's an alternative plan or maybe just give another shot to the likes of Pulisic and Werner?

The Ronaldo links I'll give you. Boehly is after all an American and hugely marketable big names will surely interest him, so when it first started looking like CR7 is looking to leave your lot Boehly started getting intrigued about the idea and had some preliminary discussions with Mendes. His football knowledge is probably too limited to understand what a bad fit Ronaldo would be for Tuchel's team, but luckily for us he's given Tuchel the last word and if he doesn't want Ronaldo they're not even going to try to sign him.

As far as the CB situation goes, the plan has been to sign two new defenders this summer to replace Rüdiger, Christensen and Azpilicueta. For the RCB slot the early top target of the previous board (Marina) was Jules Koundé who came very close to signing last summer already, but when it became clear last month that De Ligt is looking to leave Juventus the club paused talks with Koundé and shifted their focus to the Dutchman. De Ligt now looks like it's going to fail so maybe back to Koundé it is?

The pursuit of Nathan Aké has always been a separate idea from MDL/Koundé deals and he's being eyed for the LCB role, for which Tuchel seems to now want a left footed defender to replace Rüdiger. It also looks like the 19yo academy graduate Levi Colwill could be staying this season, he's another left footed CB who spent the last season on loan at Huddersfield. I don't necessarily think Aké is good enough to start for a team aiming to win the big titles but for the right price it could be a decent deal because the young Colwill is a very, very promising player and I wouldn't be surprised to see him overtake the position in the near future. That doesn't happen if a world class player is signed for the LCB role and in that case Colwill would go the way of Tomori, Guehi, Livramento etc. and look for a regular spot elsewhere.

Obviously there's still a lot to do and it can easily all go tits up if there are any more setbacks but at least for now I'm not in the slightest bit worried about the transfer business of Chelsea this summer and I can still very much see a plan in motion. We'll see near the start of the season how it goes.
Surely there De Ligt situation is exactly what I’m referring to though. You’ve been set on Kounde for 12 months and presumably TT wants him. Then at the drop of a hat you ditch him for De Ligt without seemingly doing your due diligence as he pretty much flat out picks Bayern. Now you have to go back for Kounde who may well think why should I bother? That doesn’t really sound like sticking with a clear plan and vision and with the same pattern of sniffing around lots of wingers but getting nowhere it all feels very reactive rather than proactive to me.

All the players we're linked with (bar Ronaldo) are stylistic fits that suit how Tuchel wants to play and we're by in large agreeing fees with other clubs.

The problem if you can call it that is the shelf we're shopping at (when you're competiting with Barca/Real/Bayern for players you're going to lose out occasionally) but I'd rather go for a MDL and miss out than settle for the Lenglet's of this world.
Agree with the last bit but the trick is to get the players on board first and sound their agents out and it does seem like you’ve not done any of that this window and are just going in to things without understanding where they want to go (see Raphinha and De Ligt)

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Surely there De Ligt situation is exactly what I’m referring to though. You’ve been set on Kounde for 12 months and presumably TT wants him. Then at the drop of a hat you ditch him for De Ligt without seemingly doing your due diligence as he pretty much flat out picks Bayern. Now you have to go back for Kounde who may well think why should I bother?
There was a lot said that Kounde was Marina’s target. Tuchel was onboard with Kounde, but he said before the window that other players may come available. It was probably fool’s gold to think de Ligt would come at a reduced price, but worth exploring. Bayern have been pursuing de Ligt since he was at Ajax. There is a relationship there. If it is true that we have a budget of £200-£250m, going above £70m for him is really effecting how many more signings can happen. The amount I deal with is pennies compared to what our clubs pay, but I have let ego get the better of sound judgement bidding on items on ebay. Sometimes you have to set a hard limit and walk away if someone is willing to run you up on a bid. De Ligt was asked several times in public about joining Chelsea and the response was always he would accept both Chelsea and Bayern without saying he wanted one over the other. He has been smart and calm about this.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
Agree with the last bit but the trick is to get the players on board first and sound their agents out and it does seem like you’ve not done any of that this window and are just going in to things without understanding where they want to go (see Raphinha and De Ligt)
Like @Dancfc said, that's the 'downside' of going after the kind of players desperately wanted by other top clubs as well. It's been quite widely reported by top sources that both Raphinha and De Ligt are/were both more than open to joining CFC and even preliminary contract terms have been discussed with both players. It's just we're not their priority pick and if a move to Barca/Real/Bayern does end up happening they'll go there instead. If not, a move to Chelsea is a good choice for them as well. Nothing wrong with admitting there are bigger fish out there but IMO that doesn't mean we shouldn't even bother trying and just settle for some second rate picks in the first place.

Just because the players don't end up joining doesn't mean the necessary due diligence was skipped or that the people in charge of the transfer negotiations don't know what they're doing. Good example would be the infamous Mbappe saga this summer, and even though Real Madrid ended up getting snubbed that doesn't mean they didn't do everything in their power to make it happen and I'm sure they held LOTS of talks with the player and his entourage before PSG finally gazumped them for the signature.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
That is true there’s always a lot of media speculation around the big clubs so can be difficult to cut through it. It does seem like you’ve not had set targets though, which I find odd, and the approach doesn’t seem particularly coordinated?

Surely there De Ligt situation is exactly what I’m referring to though. You’ve been set on Kounde for 12 months and presumably TT wants him. Then at the drop of a hat you ditch him for De Ligt without seemingly doing your due diligence as he pretty much flat out picks Bayern. Now you have to go back for Kounde who may well think why should I bother? That doesn’t really sound like sticking with a clear plan and vision and with the same pattern of sniffing around lots of wingers but getting nowhere it all feels very reactive rather than proactive to me.

When us and arsenal bid for raphinha his supposed dream Barca team not getting any levers. We agreed terms with Leeds and still offer is in the table. But we give raphinha very moderate 110-115 k week offer only. We didn't up the personal term till now.

Then Barca came to play. They might offer him better personal terms. Still I think raphinha will come to chelsea.

Player clearly wanted Barca as first choice or dream club even before we entered the race. So we knew already what he preferred.

Rumour is deco personally asked chelsea hierarchy to wait for Barca to match our bid. If not he will come to us. If he is not interested to come we wouldn't even bid for him. It's almost like you and de Jong situation.

Certainly not worse than that.

TheReligion

Abusive
When us and arsenal bid for raphinha his supposed dream Barca team not getting any levers. We agreed terms with Leeds and still offer is in the table. But we give raphinha very moderate 110-115 k week offer only. We didn't up the personal term till now.

Then Barca came to play. They might offer him better personal terms. Still I think raphinha will come to chelsea.

Player clearly wanted Barca as first choice or dream club even before we entered the race. So we knew already what he preferred.

Rumour is deco personally asked chelsea hierarchy to wait for Barca to match our bid. If not he will come to us. If he is not interested to come we wouldn't even bid for him. It's almost like you and de Jong situation.

Certainly not worse than that.
I think it’s worse than De Jong as he is a player that wouldn’t have ordinarily been obtainable but is due to Barcas issues. The situation is also more unusual with monies owed etc.

Deco really disliked his time in a London and was quite vocal about it in Portugal. Nice place to visit, awful to live. In contrast he loved his spell at Barcelona. I think he’s only going to be advising his client one way.

For the player though being a Brazilian with a R name… Barcelona is the only option. Romario, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
I think it’s worse than De Jong as he is a player that wouldn’t have ordinarily been obtainable but is due to Barcas issues. The situation is also more unusual with monies owed etc.

Deco really disliked his time in a London and was quite vocal about it in Portugal. Nice place to visit, awful to live. In contrast he loved his spell at Barcelona. I think he’s only going to be advising his client one way.

For the player though being a Brazilian with a R name… Barcelona is the only option. Romario, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho
I prefer player quotes directly than any Barca based journo s rumour. De Jong said he wanted to stay. Raphinha said his dream club is Barca and prefered to move there before chelsea entered race.

But he didn't say anywhere he don't want chelsea either. It's certainly not bad compared to you and your de Jong position that he wanted to stay at Barca after you bid for him. :lol:

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I prefer player quotes directly than any Barca based journo s rumour. De Jong said he wanted to stay. Raphinha said his dream club is Barca and prefered to move there before chelsea entered race.

But he didn't say anywhere he don't want chelsea either. It's certainly not bad compared to you and your de Jong position that he wanted to stay at Barca after you bid for him. :lol:
And De Ligt told Chelsea "don't even bother to make bid" as he wants different club :lol:

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
And your own legend just don't want to come back for preseason and want to run away. :lol:
So did your "Drogba II", oh wait he hated the moment he signed and wanted to go back, after all his "Childhood dreamclub" :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.