Chelsea 2022/2023 | THIS IS LAST YEARS THREAD YOU NUMPTIES

Status
Not open for further replies.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Lukaku was doing everything he could to engineer a move away from Chelsea. He only scored 8 league goals last season and half of them were in the first 3 games of the season so not like we sent away some kind of prolific striker.
Crazy to think that he’d still be your top PL goalscorer this season with those 8 goals.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Crazy to think that he’d still be your top PL goalscorer this season with those 8 goals.
Those 8 goals were over a full season. Havertz will get past that before the end of the season.

MO_Football92

Supports
Arsenal
They have good ideas; play neat intricate football at times and make third man runs through the middle. Their problems are mainly due to lacking finishing quality.

Fofana looked bright at centreback yesterday, if he stays fit they have a solid defensive base. Kante obviously improves their midfield and at times, he combined well with Enzo and Kovacic. However, I'm unsure if there's sufficient attacking quality from that midfield trio. They're all either defensive or box to box type players without goalscoring or playmaker pedigree. Gallagher is similar, very workman like without decisive execution and Mount is seemingly out of favour.

Perhaps in some matches moving forwards, a solution is dropping one midfielder and playing Felix behind Havertz and either Sterling or Aubamayang to yield more potency in attack. James and Chilwell also terrific wingbacks with good engines, both offer alot. Although I noticed neither are great at running past defenders with speed or quality dribbling, which may also defect their attacking in phases.

Last edited:
Reactions: oates

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
Apparently, Luis Enrique is in London to close his signing for Chelsea.
Interesting to see what he can do.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
They have good ideas; play neat intricate football at times and make third man runs through the middle. Their problems are mainly due to lacking finishing quality.

Fofana looked bright at centreback yesterday, if he stays fit they have a solid defensive base. Kante obviously improves their midfield and at times, he combined well with Enzo and Kovacic. However, I'm unsure if there's sufficient attacking quality from that midfield trio. They're all either defensive or box to box type players without goalscoring or playmaker pedigree. Gallagher is similar, very workman like without decisive execution and Mount is seemingly out of favour.

Perhaps in some matches moving forwards, a solution is dropping one midfielder and playing Felix behind Havertz and either Sterling or Aubamayang to yield more potency in attack. James and Chilwell also terrific wingbacks with good engines, both offer alot. Although I noticed neither are great at running past defenders with speed or quality dribbling, which may also defect their attacking in phases.
As strange as it is to say sitting in 11th, we aren’t that far away from being a very strong side next season.

We have an excellent set of fullbacks/wingbacks, we have a core of several hugely talented young CB’s that are all 22 or younger (Fofana, Badiashile, Colwill to return), we have Enzo who has settled in beautifully, Kante if fit looked incredible last night, and we have loads of attackers that a worthy manager can get a tune out of.

We need a new keeper, a long term DM to partner Enzo, and most importantly a reliable striker. Get those 3 things, with a new manager in place and with zero European football whatsoever next season, and we can shoot up the table and be back amongst those in the UCL places.

Ten Hag has proven this year for United that things can turn around super rapidly with proper coaching. The same United players that looked embarrassing last season have been transformed.

NoLogo

As strange as it is to say sitting in 11th, we aren’t that far away from being a very strong side next season.

We have an excellent set of fullbacks/wingbacks, we have a core of several hugely talented young CB’s that are all 22 or younger (Fofana, Badiashile, Colwill to return), we have Enzo who has settled in beautifully, Kante if fit looked incredible last night, and we have loads of attackers that a worthy manager can get a tune out of.

We need a new keeper, a long term DM to partner Enzo, and most importantly a reliable striker. Get those 3 things, with a new manager in place and with zero European football whatsoever next season, and we can shoot up the table and be back amongst those in the UCL places.

Ten Hag has proven this year for United that things can turn around super rapidly with proper coaching. The same United players that looked embarrassing last season have been transformed.
I totally agree, if you can get a quality striker and the rest of the team gets back some confidence I think you will be competing for a CL spot next season, no doubt.

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal

Agreed, Chelsea have stockpiled a ton of talent that, if harnessed correctly, will be challenging for the league next season.

Though, when you spend the thick end of a billion in a single season, that really should be the case.

justsomebloke

Putting aside the obvious folly of laying everything that's gone wrong this season at new ownership's doorstep given the chaotic nature of the takeover, if Boehly et al hadn't figured out an opportunity vis a vis contract lengths why would UEFA bother moving to ban it? It's obviously a smart approach - typically the bottleneck for player transfers is that they're on high wages and don't want to accept less, so by signing players to incentive-laden contracts with low base salaries it will be far easier to move them on should it come to that.
UEFA has banned it because it undercuts FFP, which is also the main advantage it brings. It's a well-known logic from league systems that have a salary cap. But doing something to beat a regulation doesn't necessarily mean it's beneficial for the club in other respects. I think the jury must be considered out whether it's also a smart move in relation to building a football club and making any necessary transfers work.

In football, the main stumbling block for a transfer away from a big club is normally the player. When someone can't be moved because of a big salary, it's because the player won't agree to a new contract on lower terms. In theory, it should help that the contract is incentive-laden - but that only works if the player believes he's got no future at Chelsea. If he does, then he will factor in the incentive money. In addition to which the length of the contract strengthens his hand. Which again means you'd basically have to marginalise a player to convince him to move on, meaning that you have an unhappy and disruptive player around until the move is made. Also, it may well be that the player reckons he's not making that mistake again, and demands a contract with the signing team that is overwhelmingly base salary, and according to his own idea of his worth, which may again make him difficult to move. Why go to Villa for maybe the same base salary as he gets at Chelsea, when he's got five years left on his contract and lots of nice incentive clauses which he won't get at Villa? Whichever way you cut it, he's getting a worse contract at the smaller club than he has at Chelsea. Players generally won't ignore the incentive clauses just because the club wants to sell them.

I think we've yet to see how this plays out. In the mean time, the fact that the club has such a bloated squad is in itself a major detriment. And one that experience suggests is not necessarily easily or quickly fixed.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Would be happy if they miss out on Luis Enrique, think he's a top manager and will have them as contenders. There's a chance we could have Ten Hag, Klopp, Pep, Arteta, Nagelsmann at Spurs and Enrique at Chelsea. Pretty crazy competition that.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
UEFA has banned it because it undercuts FFP, which is also the main advantage it brings. It's a well-known logic from league systems that have a salary cap. But doing something to beat a regulation doesn't necessarily mean it's beneficial for the club in other respects. I think the jury must be considered out whether it's also a smart move in relation to building a football club and making any necessary transfers work.

In football, the main stumbling block for a transfer away from a big club is normally the player. When someone can't be moved because of a big salary, it's because the player won't agree to a new contract on lower terms. In theory, it should help that the contract is incentive-laden - but that only works if the player believes he's got no future at Chelsea. If he does, then he will factor in the incentive money. In addition to which the length of the contract strengthens his hand. Which again means you'd basically have to marginalise a player to convince him to move on, meaning that you have an unhappy and disruptive player around until the move is made. Also, it may well be that the player reckons he's not making that mistake again, and demands a contract with the signing team that is overwhelmingly base salary, and according to his won idea of his worth, which may again make him difficult to move. Why go to Villa for maybe the same base salary as he gets at Chelsea, when he's got five years left on his contract and lots of nice incentive clauses which he won't get at Villa?

I think we've yet to see how this plays out. In the mean time, the fact that the club has such a bloated squad is in itself a major detriment. And one that experience suggests is not necessarily easily or quickly fixed.
I agree that we need to wait and see how it plays out and I don't disagree with the downsides you've pointed out. The only thing I'd push back on is that I think you're underestimating how much these players value actually playing football - especially if, say, a spot in the national team is potentially under threat. I also think the other key is that with low base salaries, teams outside of the PL can make potentially competitive offers - which may be significantly more attractive.

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal

In football, the main stumbling block for a transfer away from a big club is normally the player. When someone can't be moved because of a big salary, it's because the player won't agree to a new contract on lower terms. In theory, it should help that the contract is incentive-laden - but that only works if the player believes he's got no future at Chelsea. If he does, then he will factor in the incentive money. In addition to which the length of the contract strengthens his hand. Which again means you'd basically have to marginalise a player to convince him to move on, meaning that you have an unhappy and disruptive player around until the move is made. Also, it may well be that the player reckons he's not making that mistake again, and demands a contract with the signing team that is overwhelmingly base salary, and according to his own idea of his worth, which may again make him difficult to move. Why go to Villa for maybe the same base salary as he gets at Chelsea, when he's got five years left on his contract and lots of nice incentive clauses which he won't get at Villa? Whichever way you cut it, he's getting a worse contract at the smaller club than he has at Chelsea. Players generally won't ignore the incentive clauses just because the club wants to sell them.

Yep, it works great for Chelsea in success as they would have appreciating assets on relatively low wages. But if the players flop, it's actually a worse situation to be in.

Plus, the amortisation could potentially limit spending capacity in the future. Once again, not a problem if the signings work out as they would naturally need to spend less having front-loaded their outlay. But if the signings don't work, it becomes a real headache.

As you've said, the reason for the ban is that it's a loophole in FFP. It's a high-risk, high-reward strategy that UEFA wants to deincentivise. Obviously Chelsea can afford it (in the short term, at least) but very few other teams who would be forced to compete with them could. Things could quickly spiral out of control, form UEFA's point of view. Whether this is excessive regulation is up for debate, but I don't think UEFA banned the practice because it's some kind of cheat code.

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
I agree that we need to wait and see how it plays out and I don't disagree with the downsides you've pointed out. The only thing I'd push back on is that I think you're underestimating how much these players value actually playing football - especially if, say, a spot in the national team is potentially under threat. I also think the other key is that with low base salaries, teams outside of the PL can make potentially competitive offers - which may be significantly more attractive.
Here's where the problem may lie. Mudryk, for example, is reportedly on roughly £100k p/w base salary. Chelsea have negotiated brilliantly to get a young talent supposedly worth 100m Euros on those wages. But as soon as you leave the EPL, there are only a handful of clubs that can afford six figure weekly wages.

We (Arsenal) are facing the same challenges with our contract renewals. We put Nketiah on £100k p/w. It seems to be working out so far. But had he completely flopped after securing the big contract (something that happens a lot) we would likely have to pay him to leave.

I think we've become desensitised to just how much money EPL players are on relative to the rest of the world, barring precious few exceptions.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
There's no chance we create as many chances as we are now with him clogging up passing lanes and trying to post up like Shaq every time we have the ball. No thanks.
Honestly baffles me how many fall for that narrative, even more so now we've literally shown with the exact same player the "stick a poacher into a chance creation machine and viola" doesn't work in practice.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Here's where the problem may lie. Mudryk, for example, is reportedly on roughly £100k p/w base salary. Chelsea have negotiated brilliantly to get a young talent supposedly worth 100m Euros on those wages. But as soon as you leave the EPL, there are only a handful of clubs that can afford six figure weekly wages.

We (Arsenal) are facing the same challenges with our contract renewals. We put Nketiah on £100k p/w. It seems to be working out so far. But had he completely flopped after securing the big contract (something that happens a lot) we would likely have to pay him to leave.

I think we've become desensitised to just how much money EPL players are on relative to the rest of the world, barring precious few exceptions.
£5m per year is hardly outlandish. That's ~€‎5.7m per year. Juventus right now have 12 players making more than that. Atletico Madrid have 10 players above that threshold. Sevilla have 5, Dortmund have 7, etc etc.

I don't think it'd be a cakewalk to sell him, but I don't think it would financially cripple most decent continental teams. Whether they'd be keen on him if he continues to play like he has would be the bigger issue I'd reckon...

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
The suggestion I have seen is Lampard as the interim coach until the summer. I'm surprised he would be open to that but I would actually love that.
Let's be honest - Chelsea fans and non-Chelsea fans want Mourinho back.

He's 5th favourite according to the odds...and it'd be SEN-FOOKIN'-SATIONAL if he came back for a 3rd time.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
Let's be honest - Chelsea fans and non-Chelsea fans want Mourinho back.

He's 5th favourite according to the odds...and it'd be SEN-FOOKIN'-SATIONAL if he came back for a 3rd time.
Mou is probably the last manager you turn to when you’ve got a newly assembled squad full of players aged 20-25. We need someone with clearly defined attacking structure and philosophy and who can coach modern PL football.

Don‘t think José ticks any of those boxes any longer.

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
£5m per year is hardly outlandish. That's ~€‎5.7m per year. Juventus right now have 12 players making more than that. Atletico Madrid have 10 players above that threshold. Sevilla have 5, Dortmund have 7, etc etc.

I don't think it'd be a cakewalk to sell him, but I don't think it would financially cripple most decent continental teams. Whether they'd be keen on him if he continues to play like he has would be the bigger issue I'd reckon...
Yeah, I think we're agreeing. It won't cripple a team to take him on, but why would they if he doesn't come good? Even if he halved in value, that 78.5m Euros on a five year contract.

It also wouldn't be that odd if Mudryk doesn't become a world-beater. He's insanely fast and pretty skillful, but he has no experience of playing against high level, compact defenses. The quality of the Ukrainian league is not especially high and his defences in the CL (where he played very well) tended to push up to dominate the game which suits his style of play down to the ground. It's every possible that playing for a big club in a top-tier league doesn't suit him at all.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah, I think we're agreeing. It won't cripple a team to take him on, but why would they if he doesn't come good? Even if he halved in value, that 78.5m Euros on a five year contract.

It also wouldn't be that odd if Mudryk doesn't become a world-beater. He's insanely fast and pretty skillful, but he has no experience of playing against high level, compact defenses. The quality of the Ukrainian league is not especially high and his defences in the CL (where he played very well) tended to push up to dominate the game which suits his style of play down to the ground. It's every possible that playing for a big club in a top-tier league doesn't suit him at all.
I won't pretend i watch the Ukrainian League but i can't imagine many teams opening up and leaving space in behind against Shaktar.

I can't say i'm 100% sure about him like i am Enzo, but i feel worst case his attributes will have a market.

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
I won't pretend i watch the Ukrainian League but i can't imagine many teams opening up and leaving space in behind against Shaktar.

I can't say i'm 100% sure about him like i am Enzo, but i feel worst case his attributes will have a market.
Yep, agreed. I don’t watch it either, but Shaktar are one of the top teams so they likely run into packed defences on a weekly basis. That’s why I mentioned the quality of those defences as opposed to his good performances in the CL.

Anyway, he may still turn into a world-beater. He’s got many of the raw materials to become such. It’s just a big risk. Sancho grew up in this country and performed amazingly in a league much closer to this one in terms of quality and playing style. I think his struggles illustrate how difficult it can be to adapt to this league.

I just want to make clear, I’m not one of those ‘But could Messi do it on a wet, windy night in Stoke?’ kinda guys. The answer to that is, yes - yes he could. Past a certain point, players are so good they could do the business in any team, in any league in the world.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Nags or Enrique for me. Lampard should only be on the pitch again to do media.

justsomebloke

Only as long as the players and their agents only look at the base salaries, which I don't think you can necessarily assume. I mean if they did, why would they agree to such contracts in the first place?

First point; true - but players also value playing for big clubs and tend to deeply believe they are good enough to do so.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
:eek: Are they really appointing Lampard again?
Chelsea really are going full banter FC this season.

This shits hilarious! :lol: (And more backwards than Palace appointing Old Woy)
it truly is depressing.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Very sad to see. I remember watching him the youth teams that was winning everything, I really thought he was going to be a star.

Teja

I mean atleast get a guy in the interim who sort of matches with your long term vision. If it's Enrique you want for the longer term, why Lamps now?

Any random Spanish manager will do the trick I think. Any of Enrique's assistants floating about?

Castia

Takes some real fecked up leadership to go from Tuchel> Potter> Lampard in the space of 7 months holy shit :lol:

FerociousCorgis

last time i watched them they looked pretty damn good, up until the finishing part. That was the embarrassing part. sell some of the deadwood and use that to go all out for the number 9 they need and feel like should be good

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
They should have waited till end of season if they were looking for interim coach, as a interim coach Lampard is a decent option. Maybe they are banking on the bounce.

Don't think any manager would change much with only 10 games to play and 100 member playing squad.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
It is nice those few times when we arn’t the worst ran club in the premier league

what the F are Chelsea doing!!

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
I don’t get why any manager isn’t appointed now if they know who they want.

The new manager would have ten games to assess who he wants and implement some sort of structure in the squad. A new managers dream is having 10 games as a free hit until the competitive stuff starts with a Champions run and minimal expectation.

it is almost the perfect occasion for a new manager to start now. Finish wherever they want and a solid CL performance and they’re already onto a winner. Interim manager makes zero sense.

Abraxas

I don’t get why any manager isn’t appointed now if they know who they want.

The new manager would have ten games to assess who he wants and implement some sort of structure in the squad. A new managers dream is having 10 games as a free hit until the competitive stuff starts with a Champions run and minimal expectation.

it is almost the perfect occasion for a new manager to start now. Finish wherever they want and a solid CL performance and they’re already onto a winner. Interim manager makes zero sense.
Presumably it's not the case that they're chomping at the bit to take over now otherwise I'm sure we'd see it. It's probably not a fun thing for Chelsea and Boehly to be in the interim manager market, and going back to someone like Lampard which looks incredibly odd.

I find it a bit strange, too. Lampard is now the rather undeserving beneficiary of a situation that is as comfortable as you can ever get at a demanding football club. It's very difficult for him or any manager to suffer reputational damage this season given the low baseline under Potter. He's basically got a free shot at restoring his credibility as a manager. Unless he literally wins the CL he's probably not going to completely restore it, but if he does a very good job he might have a few chairmen still under the illusion he's a PL manager, whereas I don't think there was much danger of this pre this opportunity.

Status
Not open for further replies.