Chelsea 2022/2023 | THIS IS LAST YEARS THREAD YOU NUMPTIES

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I don’t get why any manager isn’t appointed now if they know who they want.

The new manager would have ten games to assess who he wants and implement some sort of structure in the squad. A new managers dream is having 10 games as a free hit until the competitive stuff starts with a Champions run and minimal expectation.

it is almost the perfect occasion for a new manager to start now. Finish wherever they want and a solid CL performance and they’re already onto a winner. Interim manager makes zero sense.
Not nesseserily.

If we lose to Madrid and say 5 of our remaining fixtures which isn't exactly beyond the realms of possibility looking at who we're playing then there's already pressure on them with fans doubting them compared to coming in the summer with a clean slate and fresh enthusiasm.

TheReligion

Abusive

The new manager would have ten games to assess who he wants and implement some sort of structure in the squad. A new managers dream is having 10 games as a free hit until the competitive stuff starts with a Champions run and minimal expectation.

it is almost the perfect occasion for a new manager to start now. Finish wherever they want and a solid CL performance and they’re already onto a winner. Interim manager makes zero sense.
They are rightly taking their time now rather than rushing the process as with Potter.

They may know who they want but who they want may not know if they want Chelsea?

Anyway I do think it’s much better to run a process and select the best candidate rather than just pick someone. You’ve just tried that with Potter and now he’s been given his P45.

The decision to go back to Lampard is the most bizarre one from an outside perspective. Screams no idea or plan.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
They may know who they want but who they want may not know if they want Chelsea?

Anyway I do think it’s much better to run a process and select the best candidate rather than just pick someone. You’ve just tried that with Potter and now he’s been given his P45.
I doubt the board know who they want yet.

I feel it's definitely going to be Nagelsmann or Enrique but I don't think there's a clear favorite at the moment, which is where your second point comes in. There will be a couple rounds of talks with both of them before making the decision. That could take a week or two from now, after which there will be so little football left in the season that it will be better to just wait till the summer anyway.

It seems Enrique absolutely wants the job, he's desperate to take on the EPL and aside from Spurs there aren't any top jobs available in England at the moment. The City/United/Arsenal jobs are also most likely not going to be available again anytime soon. Nagelsmann will take a bit more convincing because chances are there will be other European top clubs after him too (PSG, maybe even Real Madrid) so he might want to keep his options open for now.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Was Potter a rush job? They presented him as part of a 10 year master plan didn't they?
Unless they were meeting with him while Tuchel was still around and he was employed by Brighton, which would be very bad, Potter was announced 24 hours after Tuchel was sacked, so yeah on the surface it looks like they rushed it.

Member 125398

Unless they were meeting with him while Tuchel was still around and he was employed by Brighton, which would be very bad, Potter was announced 24 hours after Tuchel was sacked, so yeah on the surface it looks like they rushed it.
Given that, you'd have to assume they were surely?

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Given that, you'd have to assume they were surely?
Possibly, but at the same time it was just Boehly and Eghbali back then. I could be misremembering but I don’t think they had any football structure set up at all yet, so maybe not?

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Possibly, but at the same time it was just Boehly and Eghbali back then. I could be misremembering but I don’t think they had any football structure set up at all yet, so maybe not?
You are correct - the manager was hired first and the footballing infrastructure second

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
argentine media, and the most reliable supposedly still insisting Marcelo Gallardo is close to being appointed . No idea on his management style, would be left field as nagelsman or enrique have always been the main 2 reported

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
argentine media, and the most reliable supposedly still insisting Marcelo Gallardo is close to being appointed . No idea on his management style, would be left field as nagelsman or enrique have always been the main 2 reported
That's because the British media are a lazy bunch of incompetent, unimaginative fools.

RyRy11

What I'm struggling to get my head around is why Lampard still has so much stock with Chelsea fans? If it all went tits up with EtH next season and we were mid table our fans would riot if Ole was put in as interim

redcucumber

What I'm struggling to get my head around is why Lampard still has so much stock with Chelsea fans? If it all went tits up with EtH next season and we were mid table our fans would riot if Ole was put in as interim
Ole's tenure dragged on for way, way too long. He was here for three years. Lampard lasted a season and a bit.

Mr. Robot

Because Chelsea fans love a fat Tory in charge. And they get to sing “Super Frankie Lampard” at the top of their chavtastic voices.

Kaos

Still don't get why you'd sack Potter to bring Lampard in.
Don't get why you'd sack Tuchel to bring in Potter to begin with but here we are. Just nice to see another top club making appalling decisions and having a torrid time of it instead of us for once.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Don't get why you'd sack Tuchel to bring in Potter to begin with but here we are. Just nice to see another top club making appalling decisions and having a torrid time of it instead of us for once.
I think it makes more sense if you believe the 'project' route as that is Potter in a nutshell.

Mike Smalling

This season is a write-off, and the players know it. Can't be super motivating to play for absolutely nothing, and for a manager that will not be there next season. People will say that the players need to perform to be in contention for next years squad, but in reality the new manager will come in with his ideas about how the team should be set up, and will likely offer a clean slate.

The good thing for Chelsea is that there is enough quality in the squad to make an immediate comeback to top four, as long as they get some momentum with a new manager and bring in a striker. Generally, I think we will see a lot of turnover in the top four spots over the next five years. The only side that I would put money on finishing in next years top four would be Man City.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Chelsea losing 2-0 to a pretty poor Real Madrid side just shows how much they've retracted as a club since Boehly has taken the reins.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Ole's tenure dragged on for way, way too long. He was here for three years. Lampard lasted a season and a bit.
That's probably what it is. I can't speak for United fans and their feelings towards Ole but part of it for us is that I guess he wasn't here long for enough for people to want him out. At the time of his sacking, believe it or not, it was actually a very controversial decision at the time. Another thing that could explain is the fact that the season is basically done and dusted anyway so what does it hurt having Lampard in charge of what's left of it, while they take their time finding the next manager.

redcucumber

They print any old shit.
Does anybody say anything worth listening to in football media? The amount of complaints you hear on here we might as well disregard it all. Pundits, The Athletic, podcasts, this forum itself.

Last edited:

Fabio Rochemback

They really are in terrible shape. We're not amazing ourselves, but if we were to make a combined XI, Reece James, Enzo Fernandez and Raheem Sterling are the only 3 I'd say make it, and Sterling is only there because we're weak on the right - some people might even argue Antony get in ahead of him (I wouldn't). I think Chilwell is quality but he isn't better than Shaw.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
They really are in terrible shape. We're not amazing ourselves, but if we were to make a combined XI, Reece James, Enzo Fernandez and Raheem Sterling are the only 3 I'd say make it, and Sterling is only there because we're weak on the right - some people might even argue Antony get in ahead of him (I wouldn't). I think Chilwell is quality but he isn't better than Shaw.
Rashford-Felix-Martial
Chilwell-Casemiro-Enzo-James
Martinez-Silva-Varane
DDG

I'd have Felix as the 10 behind that front two. Casemiro / Enzo would be up there with the best CM pairings in world football - think a team like this with that many runners would score bags of goals. Chilwell over Shaw for me as a LWB - but if it's a 4ATB then I'd go Shaw.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Kovacic would be a huge improvement in our midfield.

There'll inevitably be a sale this summer of a few of their older stars. If we're savvy, we should be able to pick up Kovacic for a very reasonable price.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Does anybody say anything worth listening to in football media? The amount of complaints you hear on here we might as well disregard it all. Pundits, The Athletic, podcasts, this forum itself.
Watch out, it's the "defend The Athletic at all costs brigade".

No idea why people think they are any more reliable than any other bollocks sports journalists making stuff up for clicks.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
It's bad time for us to be asking that question though :lol:

We have a team full of talented players. What they need is a coach who can put it together and create a unified team out of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.