Chelsea 2022/2023 | THIS IS LAST YEARS THREAD YOU NUMPTIES

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
All that money and they would have been better with Giroud and Abraham.

MexicanCowboy

Supports
Barcelona
I guess Abramovich deserves some credit. Chelsea spends even more now but they aren't half as good.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Right. The feck up was signing that useless lump Kakkers and shipping off Tammy. Followed by swapping Werner for Sterling. Those decisions are on Tuchel. Subsequent purchases have not faired any better.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
If they did not get those 10 points in the first 6 games under Tuchel they’d be right in relegation battle currently. 29 points in 25 games after Tuchel, that is borderline relegation form.

Looks even worse when you realize they actually did get a new manager bounce after Potter came as they won their first 3 games with him and were on 19 points from 9 games. Only 20 points in 22 games since and that is definitely relegation form.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Someone like Osimhen would be massive for them.
You say that as if we wouldn’t ruin him too.

We honestly should have signed Haaland as an experiment. If we ruined this literal goal scoring alien too, then we would know for sure the club is cursed when it comes strikers.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I was all for selling him at the time because I thought we could do better but hindsight has proven that to be a colossal mistake. Abraham has been our best striker since Costa.

Cloud7

Does anyone feel sorry for Chelsea?
No way this is brilliant entertainment. The only time I would feel sorry for another club is if they had done to them what the Glazers did to us, which is years of no investment. Chelsea spending that much money and getting worse is great to watch.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Nope. Enjoying their downfall immensely.

They could be in the wilderness for a while.
The same could have been said about you lot last season. In relegation form for a long time. Yet here you are sitting near the top. Things can change quickly.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
The same could have been said about you lot last season. In relegation form for a long time. Yet here you are sitting near the top. Things can change quickly.
We weren’t this bad dude. I don’t think we dropped below 6th in the ranking the whole season. And yea we were bad, but Chelsea have shown a whole new level of awfulness.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
We weren’t this bad dude. I don’t think we dropped below 6th in the ranking the whole season. And yea we were bad, but Chelsea have shown a whole new level of awfulness.
Absolutely agree with you. I was simply referring to the form table as opposed to the actual table. I think this level of shitshow is unprecedented. Their next big decision needs to be right or we will definitely be way off but should they manage to do the right thing I don’t see why we couldn’t be back within the top 6 next season. Ultimately on the pitch we lack a goal scorer. The longer we don’t score the more pressure on our defense and they’ve actually not been bad as a whole. We were 3rd for defense in the league under Potter.

bringbackbebe

The biggest issue with the ownership is that they've tried doing too much, too soon.

A lot of the decisions they have or are in the process of making have been pretty positive, but it's been made on the backdrop of complete instability. A lot of people have been crying out for a structure for years which doesn't revolve entirely around the manager and his own players, and instead a revamped look at the scouting, recruitment, football directorship at the club. I actually think the recruitment made in January will be looked back overtime as largely very positive, and that is the first fingerprints of this structure. It doesn't help though that this is intertwined with the summer recruitment which besides Fofana, is trending towards being the worst transfer window in football history given the money spent.

The ownership shouldn't pander to the fans. It's clear they felt they needed to make a statement when they first joined with the summer signings, but they should have held their ground until the right structure was in place. Same with the managerial change from Tuchel to Potter. Too many things have been done with the right intentions but at the wrong time.

I'm willing to give them time, and they might as well learn from mistakes at the same time the squad is in a transition but this summer, the focus needs to be on stabilising the club and that comes from allowing the directors to do what they are paid to do, and that is make the correct footballing decisions for this club to move forwards.
They're not reading things right. Like you say, they have the right intentions but are executing it poorly.

I'd totally get them entering the dressing room after the Brighton defeat and talking with the players for saving the season by winning the Real Madrid game. What I don't get is why Chelsea players are claiming that Boehly talking with players in the dressing room post-match happens on a regular basis and it's nothing new to focus on? That's seriously undermining the manager there.

Once players realize they have direct access to ownership, they're going to stop listening to the manager since there's always a level up who they can talk with and push their agenda through (happened with us when Woodward got involved with Pogba/Martial situation under Mourinho and we know how this ended up). There is no point paying 20m for some person and then doing the job he's good at yourself...when managers are hired for their expertise, they should be left to do their job.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Absolutely agree with you. I was simply referring to the form table as opposed to the actual table. I think this level of shitshow is unprecedented. Their next big decision needs to be right or we will definitely be way off but should they manage to do the right thing I don’t see why we couldn’t be back within the top 6 next season. Ultimately on the pitch we lack a goal scorer. The longer we don’t score the more pressure on our defense and they’ve actually not been bad as a whole. We were 3rd for defense in the league under Potter.
Yeah I mean I think first off the management and subsequent new manager need to decide if they want to persist with the 3/5atb style or go more conventional with a back 4. Because that dictates (in theory) how you should recruit and build the squad from there. Right now all the squad has is a bunch of defenders and cagey midfielders of different varying specialties. The attack isn't very creative or lethal and if you're only going to play with 3 real "attacking" players (or less if you count today) they have to be absolute dynamite in either creating chances or deadly in front of goal. I don't think it's so simple as "sign a good striker", as that would help some but there is still a brutal lack of cohesion in the final third. I

I think Chelsea would be better off switching to a more conventional 4231/433, and getting a serious creator in the midfield to play ahead of Enzo and whoever partners him along with a couple new forwards. Mudryk was the right profile but he's basically Dan James in terms of end product, but target wingers similar to that. They also need to figure out their best back 4 and stick with it. They chop and change between Cucurella, Silva, Koulibaly, Badiashille, Fofana, James, Chalobah, and Chilwell so much that it's impossible to have a real understanding even if they've been pretty decent defensively as a whole this year.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Yes and he will be back… He‘s scored 1 non penalty goal in Serie A this season...

Writing off his contract would be the first smart money move from this new Chelsea

bringbackbebe

Writing off his contract would be the first smart money move from this new Chelsea
It'll hit them hard with FFP. Writing off his contract will mean 60m amortization cost + 60m in unpaid wages = 120m. They're better off loaning him to whoever's interested or keeping him and hope the new managers can turn things around with Lukaku. They do need a clinical finisher and who better than to score that 96th min goal when the team needs it most if not Romelu Lukaku? ....right? :lol:

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Chelsea only exists today because the property developers who wanted to turn Stamford bridge in to flats went bust in the early 90s property crash. Those were dire times.

This is nothing, we need goal scorers, a clear out and a decent manager. If the owners can't see what's wrong now...

It may not work out well for financially for clearlake, the team should be back next season.

ColvaleGoa

They have solid players. They just need a EtH to come and slot it in place. This is a one season blip unfortunately.

caid

Yeah I mean I think first off the management and subsequent new manager need to decide if they want to persist with the 3/5atb style or go more conventional with a back 4. Because that dictates (in theory) how you should recruit and build the squad from there. Right now all the squad has is a bunch of defenders and cagey midfielders of different varying specialties. The attack isn't very creative or lethal and if you're only going to play with 3 real "attacking" players (or less if you count today) they have to be absolute dynamite in either creating chances or deadly in front of goal. I don't think it's so simple as "sign a good striker", as that would help some but there is still a brutal lack of cohesion in the final third. I

I think Chelsea would be better off switching to a more conventional 4231/433, and getting a serious creator in the midfield to play ahead of Enzo and whoever partners him along with a couple new forwards. Mudryk was the right profile but he's basically Dan James in terms of end product, but target wingers similar to that. They also need to figure out their best back 4 and stick with it. They chop and change between Cucurella, Silva, Koulibaly, Badiashille, Fofana, James, Chalobah, and Chilwell so much that it's impossible to have a real understanding even if they've been pretty decent defensively as a whole this year.
I think 3 at the back is a bit of a crutch but i think switching away from it could be spectacularly hard. Dont think Silva could play in a 2 and i think a lack of leadership elsewhere would hurt them. Their best attacking player is a full back (possibly because theres only 3 forwards on the pitch?) so i'm not sure dropping him back would help.
They've been buying players for a back 3 for years, i guess with so many players in the squad its as good a chance as they're going to get to move away from it but i'd say it'll be a bit painful initially. Might just be making another obstacle for themselves.

bringbackbebe

We were actually worse defensively and in midfield I'd say but we had players who could find the back of the net. Put Rashford in this Chelsea team and they'd be doing miles better.
Rashford did not do well last season in our team & got slated with people comparing him to Saint Maximin. Just see the "Does Rashford deserve a new contract?" thread. It's similar to the struggles Mudryk, Havertz, Pulisic and Sterling are going through right now.

Revaulx

We were actually worse defensively and in midfield I'd say but we had players who could find the back of the net. Put Rashford in this Chelsea team and they'd be doing miles better.
Last year’s Rashford wouldn’t have helped at all.

Last year’s Ronaldo might have though.

Status
Not open for further replies.