Chelsea 2022/2023 | THIS IS LAST YEARS THREAD YOU NUMPTIES

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Chelsea are investigating possible racial abuse towards son. Whoever did this deserves life time ban.

UsualSuspect

Supports
Chelsea
Gordon is a good dribbler from what I've seen, I rate him. The fee is stupid obviously but he can play. My Chelsea supporting mate has also been banging on about how he "pressed like his mother's life depended on it" when they played each other.
Yeah his off-the-ball stats are top notch and it's actually what may make him excellent cover for James. I think he'll get most of his game time at WB this season - if he signs. Tuchel wanted Raphinha for the same reason.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea

We have a good history in South America in the past 20 or so years.
Brazil
Failures- Alcides, Nathan, Kenedy, Piazon, Mineiro, Pato, Deco, Luis, Wallace

Success - Alex, Beletti, Ramires, Silva, Oscar, Luiz, Willian

Argentina
Failures - Veron, Di Santo, Higuain, Crespo

Success - Caballero

Peru
Failure - Pizarro

Chile
Failure - Cuevas

Columbia
Failures - Falcao, Cuadrado

Anyone else? Yes I had to google some of these quite forgettable players.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
The only South American I’ve seen us tied to is Endrick. Madrid and Barca both believe they will end up swooping in to grab him. And they might. But we have apparently made a huge effort and a huge impression. We’ve been working it a long time and the player loves us, the family loves us, and his club like the way we have approached everything, including the long term plans for the player.

TheReligion

Abusive
The only South American I’ve seen us tied to is Endrick. Madrid and Barca both believe they will end up swooping in to grab him. And they might. But we have apparently made a huge effort and a huge impression. We’ve been working it a long time and the player loves us, the family loves us, and his club like the way we have approached everything, including the long term plans for the player.
I think plenty of wishful thinking rather than fact in that post if I’m honest.

Chelsea have spoken to the players agent but that’s about it. I believe the player has a release clause so there will be plenty of competition for his signature. It’s also been widely reported he’d favour Barcelona and is a huge admirer of Xavi and the history they have with Brazilian players (Romario, Ronaldinho, Rivaldo etc).

I don’t think the player and his family ‘love’ Chelsea. They will love the best offer they get and as you’ve found out on numerous occasions this season when Barca or Real come calling there’s very little that can be done.

Anyway I don’t believe he can move anywhere until he is 18 (so 2024) so whoever does snare him will probably put forward one of those loans back to his current club for 1-2 years minimum.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper

Chelsea have spoken to the players agent but that’s about it. I believe the player has a release clause so there will be plenty of competition for his signature. It’s also been widely reported he’d favour Barcelona and is a huge admirer of Xavi and the history they have with Brazilian players (Romario, Ronaldinho, Rivaldo etc).

I don’t think the player and his family ‘love’ Chelsea. They will love the best offer they get and as you’ve found out on numerous occasions this season when Barca or Real come calling there’s very little that can be done.

Anyway I don’t believe he can move anywhere until he is 18 (so 2024) so whoever does snare him will probably put forward one of those loans back to his current club for 1-2 years minimum.
Agree. Some wishful thinking there. It does look like Chelsea are making a huge effort but the family will probably choose Spain for a variety of reasons; weather, prestige, food, language (I know he probably speaks only Portuguese.) Even if the family are leaking positive vibes about Chelsea I would still be highly skeptical that it is just a stalking horse ploy to up the Spain team personal offers as I mean, when have the Latin teams not got the best SA talent?

In my opinion, he will be brought next season on his buyout. Currently two year loans are banned so I think teams will hold off and do further evaluations.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
Seems we’re about to offer silly money for Auba. Paying €30m for him after Barca just got him for free a few months ago. :houllier:

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Diego Costa.

Dude was born and raised in Brazil and even played for the national side before switching to play for Spain when he was in his mid-20s. He counts as a "South American player".
D’oh. I put Deco in there and forgot Costa. I stand corrected, shamefully.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea

Absolutely agree it's little more than wishful thinking at this point but whether he ends up signing or not I still think it's encouraging the club are pushing hard to sign one of the most highly rated youngsters in the world.

I wouldn't completely rule out the move happening but going head to head against Barcelona and Real Madrid for a young South American top player is always going to be an uphill battle. Both clubs will need a new forward sometime in the near future with Lewandowski and Benzema already 33-34 years old so the timeline would be quite fitting seeing as how Endrick can only move once he turns 18 in 2024. By then Lewa and Benzema will definitely be on their last legs and their clubs need to start thinking of a succession plan.

If the player has similar contract offers from all three clubs, he's not likely to choose Chelsea but it doesn't hurt to at least try.

TheReligion

Abusive
Agree. Some wishful thinking there. It does look like Chelsea are making a huge effort but the family will probably choose Spain for a variety of reasons; weather, prestige, food, language (I know he probably speaks only Portuguese.) Even if the family are leaking positive vibes about Chelsea I would still be highly skeptical that it is just a stalking horse ploy to up the Spain team personal offers as I mean, when have the Latin teams not got the best SA talent?

In my opinion, he will be brought next season on his buyout. Currently two year loans are banned so I think teams will hold off and do further evaluations.
Absolutely agree it's little more than wishful thinking at this point but whether he ends up signing or not I still think it's encouraging the club are pushing hard to sign one of the most highly rated youngsters in the world.

I wouldn't completely rule out the move happening but going head to head against Barcelona and Real Madrid for a young South American top player is always going to be an uphill battle. Both clubs will need a new forward sometime in the near future with Lewandowski and Benzema already 33-34 years old so the timeline would be quite fitting seeing as how Endrick can only move once he turns 18 in 2024. By then Lewa and Benzema will definitely be on their last legs and their clubs need to start thinking of a succession plan.

If the player has similar contract offers from all three clubs, he's not likely to choose Chelsea but it doesn't hurt to at least try.
Given the release fee I expect every big club will be in for the player and he will be the most in demand signing the world has seen.

In situations like that money isn’t important as he can basically get what he wants. It will be down to where he sees his family transitioning to and the next 5 years of his life.

Very much doubt that will be in England if I’m honest and I’d fully expect a smoother transition to somewhere like Spain and La Liga will be on the cards. Proven track record of doing it time after time.

TheReligion

Abusive
Seems we’re about to offer silly money for Auba. Paying €30m for him after Barca just got him for free a few months ago. :houllier:
It’s expensive, and he’ll be on £300k p/w I imagine, but I guess it would have been a difficult deal to do directly from Arsenal given the rivalry.

Wouldn’t surprise me if you were interested back then but just impossible to make it happen.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Will be fascinated to see how he gets on. If Tuchel wants his forward to be involved in build up play he'd be low down my list of strikers to get. If he wants him running in behind and finishing off chances he'll do well for a while anyway.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Would have been fun to see a season of the old Dortmund gang together but can't blame him if he goes to Chelsea. More playtime and getting actually paid for his work.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
If we’re fine signing a 30+ year old, short term stopgap of a striker I don’t know why we don't go for Ronaldo instead. He’s seemingly desperate to leave, nobody else wants him, and United would probably dearly love the controversy and distraction off their hands.

CR7 for 1 season or giving Auba a 3 year deal? That’s a no brainer for me.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
If we’re fine signing a 30+ year old, short term stopgap of a striker I don’t know why we don't go for Ronaldo instead. He’s seemingly desperate to leave, nobody else wants him, and United would probably dearly love the controversy and distraction off their hands.

There's almost a zero chance we could play the way we played against Spurs with Ronaldo leading the line. I wouldn't give Auba a 3 year deal, but stylistically he is far more compatible with this Chelsea team than Ronaldo is. I wouldn't go anywhere near Ronaldo personally.

UsualSuspect

Supports
Chelsea

The reason: They have similar goal outputs/90 in recent seasons, and Aubameyang is better off-the-ball and thus more suited to Tuchel's system. Can't really understand why signing a diva who doesn't run is a no-brainer for you.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
It’s expensive, and he’ll be on £300k p/w I imagine, but I guess it would have been a difficult deal to do directly from Arsenal given the rivalry.

Wouldn’t surprise me if you were interested back then but just impossible to make it happen.
I remember reading some rumors in January that Tuchel was interested and I don't think signing him from Arsenal would have been out of the question if the club had been willing to pay a fee, seeing as they let him go to Barcelona on a free transfer and even subsidised some of his wages for half a season instead. However back then Tuchel and Chelsea probably considered it for a while but then decided against making a move because they were still trying to make things work with Lukaku. Now Lukaku and Werner are both gone so a new forward is needed.

One interesting bit about Aubameyang's contract at Barcelona is that even though on paper his deal runs till 2025 there is supposedly a 'break clause' in the contract for 2023 so his contract can basically be considered to have only one year left with an option for two more. I don't think Chelsea would sign him for +20M and only offer him a one year contract but maybe a deal till 2024 with an option for a third year could be a possibility. That way the player would get one more guaranteed year in his contract than he currently has at Barca.

From the beginning I've been thinking it's madness to sign a 33yo Aubameyang on a minimum three year deal but a 2+1 contract would not sound too bad IMO. Still not a big fan of this potential deal but on a shorter contract it would be a bit easier to understand the reasoning because in the short term I consider Auba to be an improvement over what we currently have. His last season and a half at Arsenal was pretty disastrous and it's obvious he never got along with Arteta but as soon as he moved to Barcelona his numbers went up to pretty decent levels and at Chelsea under Tuchel, who he has prior history with, he could continue to be a good asset for at least this season and maybe even the next one.

The market for strikers is not great at the moment so while I don't fully endorse a move for Aubameyang, I would definitely be willing to give him a fair shot to see how he does.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea

CR7 won't go on the bench. The King's ego is too big, don't want that in the dressing room. He wouldn't accept not starting and being a super sub. If he wouldn't destroy squad harmony, Tuchel probably ok his signing imo.

These new owners seem bit crazy in the transfer market. Overpaying for players rarely brings success in football, hopefully they're prepared to lose money, a lot of it.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea

Ronaldo is simply not a Tuchel player. He likes work horses and team players more than stars.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea

I acknowledged the traditional love and ties to Barcelona could eventually win out, but you are looking at it as “they just love money” is condescending and not representative of reality.

The fact is we have been in earlier and more frequently in building a relationship with the player. He may indeed have respect for Xavi. I do as well having watched him play. But Chelsea, after already building a relationship, were detailing an VERY specific plan for growing the player, including down to sponsorship strategies, going back to last year.

The player also reportedly is fascinated by the Premiere league itself. This is an interesting knock on effect for the future as the contracts, exposure, and financial dominance if the Premiere league grows each year. Barca and Madrid have taken a huge risk strangling they growth of their own league for so long (hence why they need the Super league).

So, yes, Chelsea is ready to come in with a lot of money, but it would be naive to think that’s the only thing they have going for them.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal

CR7 for 1 season. No brainer. Both probably won't happen anyway.

TheReligion

Abusive
I acknowledged the traditional love and ties to Barcelona could eventually win out, but you are looking at it as “they just love money” is condescending and not representative of reality.

The fact is we have been in earlier and more frequently in building a relationship with the player. He may indeed have respect for Xavi. I do as well having watched him play. But Chelsea, after already building a relationship, were detailing an VERY specific plan for growing the player, including down to sponsorship strategies, going back to last year.

The player also reportedly is fascinated by the Premiere league itself. This is an interesting knock on effect for the future as the contracts, exposure, and financial dominance if the Premiere league grows each year. Barca and Madrid have taken a huge risk strangling they growth of their own league for so long (hence why they need the Super league).

So, yes, Chelsea is ready to come in with a lot of money, but it would be naive to think that’s the only thing they have going for them.
I’m actually saying the money won’t matter.

I don’t think Chelsea would be top of his list of English clubs currently either tbh

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal

I don’t think Chelsea would be top of his list of English clubs currently either tbh
If Aubameyang has not sold his mansion in North London, i actually think he will prefer Chelsea to work with Tuchel again.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

I don't think anyone can say one way or the other what the kid prefers really. I can see the Spanish clubs shout, but beyond that, it's pure guess work based on not very much I think.

TheReligion

Abusive
I don't think anyone can say one way or the other what the kid prefers really. I can see the Spanish clubs shout, but beyond that, it's pure guess work based on not very much I think.
Of course which is why saying he loves everything about Chelsea is quite funny!

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Even for us this window, a reported minimum 150m flurry in next 2 weeks is crazy. Gordon. Auba. Fofana. De Jong all wanted. Obviously FDJ is extremely unlikely

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Is it?

Tom Roddy reports that you are confident.

Everyone is confident of signing a player or they wouldnt bid. But the theme has not changed one bit all window "he wont leave". So yeh, i think its dead in the water so to speak, unless there is a huge U turn.

unplayable

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Everyone is confident of signing a player or they wouldnt bid. But the theme has not changed one bit all window "he wont leave". So yeh, i think its dead in the water so to speak, unless there is a huge U turn.
Can't help but think that there must be a reason you are still confident while we have abandoned the chase. But it's clearly a very complicated deal to pull off.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
It would genuinely be the maddest window ever if we signed all of these players.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
It would genuinely be the maddest window ever if we signed all of these players.

Surely it would be a good bit over £150M? £60M+ for FDJ, £75M+ for Fofana, £50M for Gordon, £20M for Auba and £10M+ for the Italian lad would take it to over £200M?

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
Not that he loves everything about Chelsea, that’s hyperbole. But the fact that he, his mother, and his agent like us, and some considered us in the current drivers seat due to putting more early work into building that relationship should be considered factors.

The fact that Boehly is unquestionably good at convincing elite younger talent to join his organizations, is in the process of replicating his feat with the Dodgers of trying to have the best youth talent in the sport, and is personally involved also helps.

I acknowledged we might lose out, but taking the dismissive stance on Chelsea as if money is the only reason he would consider us and our chances are low is not accurate.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
If the option is Chelsea, fighting for top 4 and the champions league or Man Utd, bottom 4 and no champions league, it’s clear where he will end up.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Surely it would be a good bit over £150M? £60M+ for FDJ, £75M+ for Fofana, £50M for Gordon, £20M for Auba and £10M+ for the Italian lad would take it to over £200M?
Yeah Fofana and FDJ alone would cost about £150m.

Status
Not open for further replies.