Chelsea 2022/2023 | THIS IS LAST YEARS THREAD YOU NUMPTIES

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Seems like Trevor Chalobah will head out on loan as well. I thought might be needed for cover

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
We're mad if we're loaning Trev out. Would rather play him than spank £80m on Fofana.

Crazy stuff. Sooner we get a sporting director the better

Boehly and Tuchel like kids in a candy store with the transfer market this summer.

Probably be an epic sugar come down from it over the next 12 months.

crazynaiman

Supports
Chelsea
Don't understand all the hype around Fofana. This guy had 7 PL games last season due to his broken leg. And he costs 80 mil? Awful choice for Chelsea, IMO.
Why not try to pay this money for Bastoni, for example? Just don't understand..

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Chalobah is good but not really at the level we need him to be. He's a decent squad player, and would prefer him to stick around, but I can understand why he would push for a move if Fofana comes in, although ideally we need Fofana on top of what already have, so to lose Chalobah would be annoying. Perhaps this is why Ampadu is being told to stick around for now.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
We're mad if we're loaning Trev out. Would rather play him than spank £80m on Fofana.

Crazy stuff. Sooner we get a sporting director the better

Boehly and Tuchel like kids in a candy store with the transfer market this summer.

Probably be an epic sugar come down from it over the next 12 months.
Well we need players especially defenders to make a complete team. I don't give a damn about player s cost at all. Can he bring what team needs and our manager okay with it then bring him in. 21 year old even for 80 mn is very much but if we get best out of him for 10 years then it look like a bargain.

I am okay with spending 80 mn on one of young good cb in league than 40 mn to Danny drinkwater.

As for chalobah going out on loan not bad. He need play time and manager not keen to trust him. In two games he should have started instead we played azpi and Reece in his best position

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
Seems like Trevor Chalobah will head out on loan as well. I thought might be needed for cover
It seems Tuchel only sees Chalobah as a RCB and if Fofana is signed, there will be plenty of cover for that position. Fofana would be the starter, Azpi as the primary backup and in an emergency situation even James could play there and RLC goes to wing-back.

I do agree that if Chalobah goes the overall numbers at the back will be a little bit short. For LCB there will be Koulibaly and maybe Cucurella can play there at a pinch, and for the CCB spot there is only really Thiago Silva who at 38 will obviously have to sit out some games even when he's not injured. Maybe it would be a decent idea to keep someone like Ampadu around if Chalobah goes on loan.

Chalobah is good but not really at the level we need him to be. He's a decent squad player, and would prefer him to stick around, but I can understand why he would push for a move if Fofana comes in, although ideally we need Fofana on top of what already have, so to lose Chalobah would be annoying. Perhaps this is why Ampadu is being told to stick around for now.
Yeah, agree. Chalobah already started +25 games last season and while he made some mistakes occasionally Chelsea didn't lose any of those games apart from the two cup finals against Liverpool on penalties so he's by no means a bad player but also maybe not a key player quality, at least for now. Personally I'd have preferred to let Azpilicueta go and keep Chalobah as the rotational option behind someone like Fofana (if signed).

Azpi's legs are gone for the RWB position and there's a reason Tuchel has started preferring Loftus-Cheek as James backup so at this point Azpilicueta is basically just an option for the right-sided CB in the back-3. In the CB role there's probably not much between Azpi and Chalobah and I'm fine with having either but I think it may have been better to keep a player who might still have a future in the squad than a veteran on his last legs, though maybe Tuchel thought Azpi's experience and leadership skills might prove more useful and that's why he's being kept around the squad.

According to reports the club are only willing to entertain loan bids without option to buy so maybe the thinking is Chalobah could go on loan to play as a regular starter at some smaller club and then come back to replace Azpi later on? He still has a contract till 2026 so even if he went out on loan I wouldn't be surprised to see him return to the first team squad next year.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
It seems Tuchel only sees Chalobah as a RCB and if Fofana is signed, there will be plenty of cover for that position. Fofana would be the starter, Azpi as the primary backup and in an emergency situation even James could play there and RLC goes to wing-back.

I do agree that if Chalobah goes the overall numbers at the back will be a little bit short. For LCB there will be Koulibaly and maybe Cucurella can play there at a pinch, and for the CCB spot there is only really Thiago Silva who at 38 will obviously have to sit out some games even when he's not injured. Maybe it would be a decent idea to keep someone like Ampadu around if Chalobah goes on loan.

Yeah, agree. Chalobah already started +25 games last season and while he made some mistakes occasionally Chelsea didn't lose any of those games apart from the two cup finals against Liverpool on penalties so he's by no means a bad player but also maybe not a key player quality, at least for now. Personally I'd have preferred to let Azpilicueta go and keep Chalobah as the rotational option behind someone like Fofana (if signed).

Azpi's legs are gone for the RWB position and there's a reason Tuchel has started preferring Loftus-Cheek as James backup so at this point Azpilicueta is basically just an option for the right-sided CB in the back-3. In the CB role there's probably not much between Azpi and Chalobah and I'm fine with having either but I think it may have been better to keep a player who might still have a future in the squad than a veteran on his last legs, though maybe Tuchel thought Azpi's experience and leadership skills might prove more useful and that's why he's being kept around the squad.

According to reports the club are only willing to entertain loan bids without option to buy so maybe the thinking is Chalobah could go on loan to play as a regular starter at some smaller club and then come back to replace Azpi later on? He still has a contract till 2026 so even if he went out on loan I wouldn't be surprised to see him return to the first team squad next year.
To me, from the outside, that seems to be the plan. And in terms of the player I think it's a good plan, his development will be better with more minutes elsewhere and he can come back to Chelsea a better player.

Whether it's best for Chelsea this season, I'm not so sure.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Don't understand all the hype around Fofana. This guy had 7 PL games last season due to his broken leg. And he costs 80 mil? Awful choice for Chelsea, IMO.
Why not try to pay this money for Bastoni, for example? Just don't understand..
Fofana broke his leg that injury not repetitive. If ACL or muscle injury then you can question his injury. He is pl proven and childhood chelsea fan. He has pace and right footed.Good on ball.

If he was in our squad Reece would have started RWB and not RCB against spurs. We didn't need to fear opponent s pace with him. I am not sure what is not to like in this deal except money.

crazynaiman

Supports
Chelsea
Fofana broke his leg that injury not repetitive. If ACL or muscle injury then you can question his injury. He is pl proven and childhood chelsea fan. He has pace and right footed.Good on ball.

If he was in our squad Reece would have started RWB and not RCB against spurs. We didn't need to fear opponent s pace with him. I am not sure what is not to like in this deal except money.
I can't say that he is PL proven. He had one season with 28 games and second season with 7 games.

I see his talent and skills. Yes, he can solve our RCB problem. But I'm not sure for even 60% that he can. I'm not sure about his pace after broken leg. All I want to say, that there are other better transfer options for RCB than Fofana. OMG, 80 mil..

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
All I want to say, that there are other better transfer options for RCB than Fofana. OMG, 80 mil..
Who are these better options and can any of them be signed at this point in the transfer window? You mentioned Bastoni but he doesn't seem to want to leave Inter, and he's also a left-footer. Skriniar would probably have been my top pick after De Ligt and Kounde turned out to be busts and the club made some inquiries about him but probably didn't get much encouragement because the club didn't follow through with the interest.

The price is ridiculous but in a world where Morgan Gibbs-White goes for £40M+ it's maybe better to stop paying that much attention to the transfer fees...

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
Im not a fan of that to be honest. He should be playing until a transfer is resolved 1 way or the other.
Normally I’d agree, even if it’s a player we’re after. But in Fofana’s case he probably doesn’t want to risk another serious injury so soon after his leg break when there’s a big club offering mega money for him.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

Yeah I was saying in here the other day that if Fofana comes and no-one leaves. Azpi would kind of find himself in a very reduced role. He's now 3rd choice RWB and what, 5th choice CB if Fofana comes?

If Chalobah leaves on loan, I don't think we'll see him in a Chelsea shirt again - if he does well with a PL club, he will definitely want to leave rather than come back to a bit part role (Colwill will hopefully be returning from his own successful loan spell too)and Chelsea will likely want to capitalise on that good season to earn a high fee for him. If he doesn't do well, it would be seen as confirmation that he wasn't up to the required level anyway, so likely back on loan or sold on the cheap.

Ideally Chalobah stays as depth/rotational cover but I can understand if he has bigger aspirations for his career than being a backup player at Chelsea.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Im not a fan of that to be honest. He should be playing until a transfer is resolved 1 way or the other.
At least it’s more respectful than the way Antony is conducting himself at Ajax. It might just be that he cannot focus on the game because of the speculation. If that is the case then he is putting his current team into consideration as well.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
At least it’s more respectful than the way Antony is conducting himself at Ajax. It might just be that he cannot focus on the game because of the speculation. If that is the case then he is putting his current team into consideration as well.
Don’t really see a huge difference between Antony and Fofana. Both want to leave their clubs, both will likely be left out of their team’s games this weekend, both look like they’re forcing their way out, both have been reported to be unhappy with their club’s valuation, not wanting to be priced out of a move.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
If the transfer is really imminent then I've not got as much of a problem with it, but Fofana still seems a bit off with Rodgers still not wanting to sell him. However, I get that Chelsea will eventually put in an increased bid and he'll leave.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal

I'm not actually sure Fofana has top end pace and athleticism. He'll be better than Azpilicueta in that regard for sure.

Martinelli absolutely ruined him last weekend. I don't say that as some kind of Gooner fanboy, that is just what happened. He couldn't stay with Martinelli at all in terms of quickness early in the match, eventually picked up a yellow after getting badly burned, and then was so timid afterward that Martinelli just did what he wanted, including a pretty clear shot at goal for 4-2.

Maybe Fofana was off his game due to his head being turned. But for 80m I would want a player who you don't go into your tactical preparation thinking that you're going to have to help him tactically or Gabriel Martinelli is going to murder him. We're not talking about Mbappe here.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I'm not actually sure Fofana has top end pace and athleticism. He'll be better than Azpilicueta in that regard for sure.

Martinelli absolutely ruined him last weekend. I don't say that as some kind of Gooner fanboy, that is just what happened. He couldn't stay with Martinelli at all in terms of quickness early in the match, eventually picked up a yellow after getting badly burned, and then was so timid afterward that Martinelli just did what he wanted, including a pretty clear shot at goal for 4-2.

Maybe Fofana was off his game due to his head being turned. But for 80m I would want a player who you don't go into your tactical preparation thinking that you're going to have to help him tactically or Gabriel Martinelli is going to murder him. We're not talking about Mbappe here.
Yeah wouldn’t base anything off one match. I remember people focusing on the one time Perisic humiliated Rudiger around the time we signed him. Off days and bad match ups happen. I remember Tierney skinning Reece James for fun in one game. James looked awful and slow in that game. No one would say that about him in general though.

Last edited:

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea

Well you don't think we have more credible set up than Rodger s Leicester. I am not saying he had better pace than most forwards but he has credible pace for central defender.

And with him we can make tactical switch in to back four with Silva and azpi we can't. There is plenty more if fofana end up in chelsea you will see the total expansion of our play. With him kouly and Silva we will use wingbacks to attack lot more than now and don't need to fear to get caught up.

He also has good height and jump and our team need it more to defend set pieces. So why tuchel reluctant to give thumbs up to kounde deal.

If we get him we will be happy otherwise we have to use what we got. I would be afraid if our ex board took this decision but not now. Because every transfer in this window for first team go through after tuchel s wish. So why I didn't bother about price in this window. Because all three we signed proved well fit in our system and general play as well.

80 mn will be a problem only if player failed and the way we set up and fofana s strong skill sets we don't need to worry about he will fit in or not because he is tuchel s pick to match our game play.

Last edited:

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Fofana is a massive Gamble at £80m. What had he had, games wise in the PL? 35 games? Toss in a bad leg break and I would be very concerned about laying that sort of money out for him.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Well you don't think we have more credible set up than Rodger s Leicester. I am not saying he had better pace than most forwards but he has credible pace for central defender.

And with him we can make tactical switch in to back four with Silva and azpi we can't. There is plenty more if fofana end up in chelsea you will see the total expansion of our play. With him kouly and Silva we will use wingbacks to attack lot more than now and don't need to fear to get caught up.

He also has good height and jump and our team need it more to defend set pieces. So why tuchel reluctant to give thumbs up to kounde deal.

If we get him we will be happy otherwise we have to use what we got. I am afraid if our ex board took this decision but not now. Because every transfer in this window for first team go through after tuchel s wish. So why I didn't bother about price in this window. Because all three we signed proved well fit in our system and general play as well.

80 mn will be a problem only if player failed and the way we set up and fofana s strong skill sets we don't need to worry about he will fit in or not because he is tuchel s pick to match our game play.
I've never thought of him as being particularly great in the air. I always thought his best work was done on the ground.

In saying that, he's taller than Azpilicueta and will be playing in a 3 so that won't be an issue.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
It’s a risk and a gamble for sure and if we were building our defense from scratch I’d say it’s a bad idea. But he’d be joining a defense full of top class players and he’ll have a top class midfield in front of him. What could be better for a young CB than having Reece James on your outside and Thiago Silva to your inside? Training with Silva and Koulibaly everyday?

I think if he stays fully fit he’ll become immense for us.

TheReligion

Abusive
Fofana is a massive Gamble at £80m. What had he had, games wise in the PL? 35 games? Toss in a bad leg break and I would be very concerned about laying that sort of money out for him.
He looks a really good player but yes it’s too much money. He’s not even got an international cap yet i don’t think?

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
It’s a risk and a gamble for sure and if we were building our defense from scratch I’d say it’s a bad idea. But he’d be joining a defense full of top class players and he’ll have a top class midfield in front of him. What could be better for a young CB than having Reece James on your outside and Thiago Silva to your inside? Training with Silva and Koulibaly everyday?

I think if he stays fully fit he’ll become immense for us.
That is genuinely a great situation, it is true. And Tuchel's system should be a very easy adjustment for him.

I think the chance of him flopping is tiny, he's almost a sure thing to be a pretty good player and perfectly fine for Chelsea's level. But I'm not sure he has a truly high (ie, world class) ceiling either.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
I once watched a younger cornerback in his first year for the Washington Redskins get confused by the Dallas cowboys while 3 different receivers blew past him like he was standing still. He was a high draft pick so people worried about his speed and quickness because he came from a small school. That guy was Darrell Green, 7 time fastest man in the NFL. The problem had been an issue with the safety not consistently making the right switch, causing hesitations. Confusion and distraction can slow down anyone.

Fofana is both fast AND agile for a 6’3” defender. He’s also excellent carrying the ball forward distributing from the back. The whole of Leicester looked like they were turned by what Arsenal were doing. That and what he’s currently going through?

Fofana getting to play regularly next to and with Silva, Koulibaliy, and Azpi ..it will be like a proper finishing school. He isnt a finished product as it stands. But he can grow and thrive in a 3, in an excellent tactically defensive team. And by the time he’s 24 I expect he will be imperious in either a 3 or a pairing, giving us a LOT more options than Kounde would have.

Not concerned at all. Just concerned with getting him in.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Maguire Pulisic swap? Sounds pretty crazy, but could work, I guess.

Also looks like Auba incoming. If we can't get Alonso in that deal, guess he's staying this season too. Barca can't afford him.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Where would he play ? Unless Silva goes to RCB and Maguire middle. He's on the bench otherwise for cover and cup games.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
Where would he play ? Unless Silva goes to RCB and Maguire middle. He's on the bench otherwise for cover and cup games.
No way Silva is going to play any other position in a back-3 than the middle CB. Tuchel likes to have reasonably pacy CBs in the wide central defender positions who can bomb forward and occasionally join the attacking build ups. Silva is the one who always stays behind and offers another passing option when trying to play out from the back with the ball.

Maguire is not going to join Chelsea. So far it's only been reported by Sami Mokbel of the Daily Mail and Talksport quoted him in their report so pretending like a deal could be close is wide off the mark with a 99% likelihood. Even Mokbel himself tweeted afterwards that Maguire's name only came up when United were interested in Pulisic but so far nobody's followed through with any interest, and that includes United with Pulisic. Mokbel also said that Chelsea's priority remains striking a deal for Wesley Fofana so if that one goes through we can forget every other option.

It's very much possible that the club have a list of alternatives for Fofana if his pursuit ends up a failure and Maguire may well be on such list, along with probably 20 other central defenders across the European top leagues. Even if Fofana fails I very much doubt Maguire is the first alternative the club could think of.

Status
Not open for further replies.