Chelsea 2023/24 season thread.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
I swear, if we knock on Brighton’s door one more time :lol:
I can see him getting football out of these young players. They don’t seem phased no matter who is in and out of the team. I honestly think he might have the qualities needed for a very particular situation.

The head coach is not the issue at Chelsea, at all.
It’s the only part you have control over though. You need to work with the situation at hand, and he appears to have the potential qualities of deal with the squad and the current situation.

Poch is a good coach, but the situation is a unique one and he maybe isn’t the man to deal with it.

Supports
Chelsea
The head coach is not the issue at Chelsea, at all.
A good coach can create a system that makes average players look better than they are. The vast majority of our team has been awful.

It’s been 7 months and we haven’t even seen signs of a style of play let alone a defined system. That’s on the manager.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
And during this extra out spell, he'll get even better in Chelsea supporters' minds.
He's a good player. The obvious plan this season was him as the hybrid CF and then Jackson as rotation or playing out left where consistent scoring was not required.

Instead Jackson's been poor as main CF in terms of finishing chances, Sterling had that little purple patch in August-September but as season has gone on all his flaws have been obvious and Palmer has done well but still has areas to improve and top class LBs can shut him down with his tendency to always cut back on his left.

I assume the plan is just to go all in for Oshimen and then hope Nkunku can stay fit for most of next season as him, Oshimen and Palmer should be a decent front three.

Nagelsmann feels like a decent fit for where they are as a club aswell...but then I thought exactly that about Poch 12 months ago. :lol:

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
He's a good player. The obvious plan this season was him as the hybrid CF and then Jackson as rotation or playing out left where consistent scoring was not required.

Instead Jackson's been poor as main CF in terms of finishing chances, Sterling had that little purple patch in August-September but as season has gone on all his flaws have been obvious and Palmer has done well but still has areas to improve and top class LBs can shut him down with his tendency to always cut back on his left.

I assume the plan is just to go all in for Oshimen and then hope Nkunku can stay fit for most of next season as him, Oshimen and Palmer should be a decent front three.

Nagelsmann feels like a decent fit for where they are as a club aswell...but then I thought exactly that about Poch 12 months ago. :lol:
Osimhen feels nailed on for PSG post-Mbappe. Lots of rumblings about Chelsea going for Gyokeres - but the same questions about him stepping up a couple levels would apply and I have every belief he would totally flame out given the current state of the club.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Osimhen feels nailed on for PSG post-Mbappe. Lots of rumblings about Chelsea going for Gyokeres - but the same questions about him stepping up a couple levels would apply and I have every belief he would totally flame out given the current state of the club.
What do you think about Ruben Amorim for the Chelsea job? I’m seeing some Chelsea fans start to get hyped about this guy, and I followed the breadcrumbs to where this rumour started and it was that Alex Goldberg bloke, so take it with a huge grain of salt :lol:

But if we entertain this for a minute, the Gyokeres links make sense if Amorim is the manager we’re targeting for next season.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
He was at Brighton a few years ago before they sold him to Coventry so guessing with all the recruitment gurus you're signing from them that's the link.

Chelsea simply have no ruthlessness in games when it matters. Saw that in the last 15 minutes of the cup final and endless league games this season. Until they solve that they won't be at the top end of the league anytime soon.

MegadrivePerson

Gyokeres would be the striker I'd sign if I were Chelsea manager. He's got a good record in the Portugese league and the English championship so he can clearly handle the physicality of this country.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
What do you think about Ruben Amorim for the Chelsea job? I’m seeing some Chelsea fans start to get hyped about this guy, and I followed the breadcrumbs to where this rumour started and it was that Alex Goldberg bloke, so take it with a huge grain of salt :lol:

But if we entertain this for a minute, the Gyokeres links make sense if Amorim is the manager we’re targeting for next season.
Amorim has done a great job undeniably - the occasional spat with management (more so over them selling his best players without replacing them) but generally he's been very flexible tactically and I think he's a consistent overachiever who gets the most out of his squad. Think he'd be a pretty clear upgrade on Poch but obviously it'd be a big step up for him.

He was at Brighton a few years ago before they sold him to Coventry so guessing with all the recruitment gurus you're signing from them that's the link.

Chelsea simply have no ruthlessness in games when it matters. Saw that in the last 15 minutes of the cup final and endless league games this season. Until they solve that they won't be at the top end of the league anytime soon.
Yeah could be. He's also been a fecking machine all season - certainly he's played at a higher level than Darwin Nunez ever did (albeit at a significantly older age).

Gyokeres would be the striker I'd sign if I were Chelsea manager. He's got a good record in the Portugese league and the English championship so he can clearly handle the physicality of this country.
Yeah I think he could handle the physicality; though the worry would be whether he has enough to his game to succeed when he doesn't have a colossal physical advantage over the opposition. Personally I think he does because he's a lot more than just a pure finisher but that's the question mark.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Just noticed that Jimi Tauriainen made his first team debut tonight. Delighted for him!
And the first thing he did was kick a Leeds cnut. He already embodies the true spirit of ‘propa chewls’.

VARsenal

Supports
Arsenal
Looks like Clearlake will have put themselves in a real pickle if Chelsea don't start performing in the next year to get their revenues and player values up

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
There aren't many clubs who aren't teetering on the line of points deductions and transfer bans.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
But you're still presumably going to spend in the summer though. There is a further £453m of spending still to be added to this and £48m of profit from sales
So we'll keep needing to sell our unwanted youth products.

I don't like the plan but let's not pretend there isn't one and Clearlake are just spending money with zero concern for FFP.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
So we'll keep needing to sell our unwanted youth products.

I don't like the plan but let's not pretend there isn't one and Clearlake are just spending money with zero concern for FFP.
I don't think there's a panic for this summer, as names like Maatsen, Chalobah, Galllagher, Broja will get some decent money this season, because they've all had decent first team exposure, my concern is who are the names in behind them if you need to keep doing this season after season?

The 22/23 figures include Champions League money as well, so no Europe this season is what £80m down?

Where's that Bluelion lad, he needs to reassure everyone that Clearlakes plan is a masterstroke?

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Clearlake are really good with numbers, so I'm sure they know already who we're selling this summer and how much we've got to get in to avoid a points deduction in the near term. Their financial engineering has been pretty clever so far.

Their problem has been massively overpaying for players who so far haven't remotely justified the fees, that is going to scew us unless these players now turn in to world beaters, so we get CL and the extra revenue from that, or we can offload them for similar fees. My strong suspicion is we'll end up with a points deduction in the next couple of seasons, unless the rules change... but I'll be happy to be wrong.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
There aren't many clubs who aren't teetering on the line of points deductions and transfer bans.
Some are more egregious than others.

On the Chelsea side of things, who do they go in for if they sack Poch? Jose or Conte back at the helm? Both will want to build their own team, which means more player turnover. They already tried the low key up and coming manager with Potter, so what next?

MegadrivePerson

I don't think there's a panic for this summer, as names like Maatsen, Chalobah, Galllagher, Broja will get some decent money this season, because they've all had decent first team exposure, my concern is who are the names in behind them if you need to keep doing this season after season?

The 22/23 figures include Champions League money as well, so no Europe this season is what £80m down?

Where's that Bluelion lad, he needs to reassure everyone that Clearlakes plan is a masterstroke?
People keep saying this, but aside from Maatsen and Lewis Hall, how much will they really get?

Chalobah - Has only made four apperances this season.
Galllagher, - Only has twelve months left on his contract.
Broja - Can't even get in at Fulham.

Considering a lot of clubs appear to be tightening their belts on spending, and everybody in football knows Chelsea desperately need to sell, I can't see them getting the big fees they think they will get.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
People keep saying this, but aside from Maatsen and Lewis Hall, how much will they really get?

Chalobah - Has only made four apperances this season.
Galllagher, - Only has twelve months left on his contract.
Broja - Can't even get in at Fulham.

Considering a lot of clubs appear to be tightening their belts on spending, and everybody in football knows Chelsea desperately need to sell, I can't see them getting the big fees they think they will get.
I don't think they will trouble selling Gallagher for a good fee. The real issue is that he has been one of their best players this year and the club most interested at this point is Spurs, who will surely drive a hard bargain and won't be in a hurry to buy the player prior to June 30th.

Chalobah has enough of a PL track record to have a market somewhere as long as he shows this spring that he has recovered from the injury. He seemingly had genuine interest from Inter last year, he's a young legit PL center back just maybe not Chelsea level.

I don't see Broja having much of a market. He is still living off a few highlights from his loan spell at Soton two years ago, has hardly played football for the last two years, and seems very unlikely to play much for Fulham as the guy ahead of him has been scoring for fun the last month and is a player Fulham own and want to build around. No PL club in any part of the table is going to buy that player with the thought of relying on him to be their main striker.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Hall, Maatsen, Brojo, Chalobah and maybe even the likes of Omari Hutchison could go for a decent chunk.

Obviously we've also got the likes of Kepa and Lukaku, hopefully when Southgate takes over at Man United he buys them both.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

I've been saying this for a couple of months now - we should help them out by buying Cole Palmer off them. 60m bid in June?

CannonBalls

Supports
Arsenal
I don't think they will trouble selling Gallagher for a good fee. The real issue is that he has been one of their best players this year and the club most interested at this point is Spurs, who will surely drive a hard bargain and won't be in a hurry to buy the player prior to June 30th.

Chalobah has enough of a PL track record to have a market somewhere as long as he shows this spring that he has recovered from the injury. He seemingly had genuine interest from Inter last year, he's a young legit PL center back just maybe not Chelsea level.

I don't see Broja having much of a market. He is still living off a few highlights from his loan spell at Soton two years ago, has hardly played football for the last two years, and seems very unlikely to play much for Fulham as the guy ahead of him has been scoring for fun the last month and is a player Fulham own and want to build around. No PL club in any part of the table is going to buy that player with the thought of relying on him to be their main striker.
After the feckup Arsenal and ManUtd made by overpaying on Havertz/Mount. I hope most clubs do learn and not be in a haste and overpay for their players.
Also for the current crop there wont be tier 1 teams knocking. Even the Hall deal may not become permanent.
Dortmund surely wont pay 35m for a fullback.
They have unrealistic expectations for sales. Last year Arsenal/ManUtd gave an exit. This year most clubs would be wiser.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
After the feckup Arsenal and ManUtd made by overpaying on Havertz/Mount. I hope most clubs do learn and not be in a haste and overpay for their players.
Also for the current crop there wont be tier 1 teams knocking. Even the Hall deal may not become permanent.
Dortmund surely wont pay 35m for a fullback.
They have unrealistic expectations for sales. Last year Arsenal/ManUtd gave an exit. This year most clubs would be wiser.
I think they just had better players to sell last summer to be honest. Havertz and Mount may have been overpays but not by too much. Mount was their player of the year twice and an England international just entering his prime. Havertz is a really talented 24-year-old player who has been a regular starter for a side that is challenging for the title and probably one of the top 5-6 in the world.

Nobody they are selling this summer is anywhere near that level of talent and appreciation in the game. I rate Gallagher but he isn't at that level.

The thing I don't understand is how they could expect to sell these players in June. The players they are selling aren't the kind of players that teams will be so eager to sign as to do everything possible to get a deal done before the window opens. And the Euros will probably delay a lot of the summer market anyway.

Changeisgood

Supports
Arsenal
They need to put a rule in to prevent teams from hoarding young promising players from across the world and then shipping them off for some extra cash. It's ok to have a few here and there but to have this many is ridiculous. I complain about City but the behavior coming out of Chelsea is just as bad.

• Gabriel Slonina - £9m
  • Cesare Casadei - £18m*
  • Carney Chukwuemeka - £18m
  • Jimmy-Jay Morgan - £3m
  • Alex Matos - Free Transfer
  • Angelo Gabriel - £13m
  • Andrey Santos - £12m
  • Diego Moreira - Free Transfer
  • Omari Hutchinson - Free Transfer
  • David Datro Fofana - £12m
  • Ishe Samuels-Smith - £4m
  • Deivid Washington - £20m