Chelsea 2023/24 season thread.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Oh I don’t think they are all horrible, I’m not that sure as many as you say were improvements on what you had though.

It feels to me like you’ve assembled a set of players before having a settled coach, staff and backroom/recruitment set up though. Kind of the reverse as to how you should do things really.

You could be on your 4th Clearlake era manager by the summer, unless Poch stays on. It must be a bit of a concern you’ll end up with lots of square pegs in round holes? Something that’s happened to us over the years, new manager comes in and doesn’t fancy player A, prefers player B, rinse repeat.

Can be quite challenging for squad harmony.
Yep nail on head. The contrast with Liverpool who have had one style of play that has filtered from the top down through the academy is especially stark.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
That's quite a sensationalist take on an otherwise mostly sensible news article.

The players supposedly on the chopping block are:

- Marc Cucurella
- Thiago Silva
- Trevoh Chalobah
- Malang Sarr
- Carney Chukwuemeka
- Conor Gallagher
- Noni Madueke
- Raheem Sterling
- Kepa Arrizabalaga
- Ian Maatsen
- Lewis Hall
- Hakim Ziyech
- Romelu Lukaku
- David Datro Fofana
- Armando Broja

On that list there's only a few players I'd even want to keep and also a couple I wouldn't mind keeping but wouldn't be too bothered if they went either The rest absolutely should, and most of them probably will, be sold in the summer.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout

Interesting clause. If he plays a ton, they don't pay us much but his value would naturally go up. If they don't play him, they have to pay us more.
Isn't Broja one of the players you're convinced is going to bring you a hefty fee in this rush to sell players by end of June?

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I think after reading about the Forest case, Chelsea are going to be fecked this year in terms of PSR/FFP. I know the claim has always been made that you'll get players sold before 30th June but I don't think it will be that easy...

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
When 1st July comes and it wasn't easy, you'll just make a flippant, humorous comment and brush off the fact you've been extremely bullish about this the whole time. :lol:
If that happens it will be an interesting experience. Never having been wrong before I don't want to predict how I'll react.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Honestly, if the difference for them next season is 4 points or undervaluing a bunch of assets, they might just sell a couple and take the hit.

4 points is a nothing punishment and there will probably be sighs of relief all round when they saw the Forest verdict.

If they are 50 million over come July 1st, I doubt there will be much in the way of panic. They, like Forest, have cooperated the whole way.

The whole thing is a farce and an independent regular can’t come in soon enough.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
Honestly, if the difference for them next season is 4 points or undervaluing a bunch of assets, they might just sell a couple and take the hit.

4 points is a nothing punishment and there will probably be sighs of relief all round when they saw the Forest verdict.

If they are 50 million over come July 1st, I doubt there will be much in the way of panic. They, like Forest, have cooperated the whole way.

The whole thing is a farce and an independent regular can’t come in soon enough.
Who's to say it would be just 4 points though? Everton & Forest punishments have clearly shown they're just pulling numbers out of their arse on a case by case basis.

Why are Forest getting away with a lesser punishment than Everton despite being more over the spending limit? Not to mention Everton's losses being largely due to their stadium project whereas Forest have just been spending too much money on their squad. Surely Everton's stadium spend should be considered less bad because at least a new stadium is a step in the right direction to being more sustainable in the future but somehow they still ended up with a worse punishment, even after a round of appeals. Based on this I wouldn't count on there being too much logic in future cases either.

Also I think 4 points would be a nothing punishment only if we continue being a midtable side next season too. It definitely shouldn't risk relegation but also wouldn't matter too much whether we're say 9th or 12th. However if we somehow were to get our shit together and mount a proper challenge for the European places next season, 4 points could make for a huge difference. Missing out on European football because of a points deduction would be a big financial hit and make it all the more harder to comply with the rules the following year too.

Going to be an interesting summer for sure. I'm quite confident we'll have enough marketable players on the fringes to round up the money required but whether the club can pull it off by June 30th is another question. Lewis Hall's move will probably go through before the deadline and I think it's quite likely Ian Maatsen will get sold in time as well, thanks to his good performances for Dortmund and the fact there's a release clause in his contract to determine the price. If there are multiple clubs interested in Maatsen chances are they won't want to wait too long to make their move in risk of missing out or getting dragged into a bidding war with personal terms. After those two it could get trickier and while players like Lukaku, Broja and Chalobah will almost definitely be sold it's possible those could drag on for a while. That's probably where the club are hoping for a potential Gallagher sale to come to the rescue, as much as I personally think it would suck to lose him (like with Hall & Maatsen as well).

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Going to be an interesting summer for sure. I'm quite confident we'll have enough marketable players on the fringes to round up the money required but whether the club can pull it off by June 30th is another question. Lewis Hall's move will probably go through before the deadline and I think it's quite likely Ian Maatsen will get sold in time as well, thanks to his good performances for Dortmund and the fact there's a release clause in his contract to determine the price. If there are multiple clubs interested in Maatsen chances are they won't want to wait too long to make their move in risk of missing out or getting dragged into a bidding war with personal terms. After those two it could get trickier and while players like Lukaku, Broja and Chalobah will almost definitely be sold it's possible those could drag on for a while. That's probably where the club are hoping for a potential Gallagher sale to come to the rescue, as much as I personally think it would suck to lose him (like with Hall & Maatsen as well).
The problem with the June 30 deadline is that nobody else involved in the process - buying clubs, agents, players - usually has much incentive to get deals done that early.

Clubs will only want to buy a player prior to June 30th if they have sufficient room on their own FFP books for that prior season AND they absolutely know that this is the player they want at that specific price.

Players and agents generally want to have the broadest choice of club possible and the most leverage in negotiating personal terms/fees, so it rarely makes any sense to push a transfer through early unless there are a number of attractive clubs really after the player and there is some danger of interest waning later in the summer.

And this year this is all complicated by the Euros. European internationals will be training or playing matches all June and few will want the distraction of finalizing a transfer during that time.

Players like Mount and Havertz had big reputations and were prioritized by big clubs. I have a hard time seeing clubs deciding that a player like Broja, Chalobah, or Maatsen is such an important summer transfer target that they need to move decisively to acquire them. They might submit low bids prior to June 30th just to see if Chelsea is desperate enough to sell. But these are more likely to be the types of players that other clubs are happy to look into later in the market unless they're getting a great deal early.

Last edited:

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
I think after reading about the Forest case, Chelsea are going to be fecked this year in terms of PSR/FFP. I know the claim has always been made that you'll get players sold before 30th June but I don't think it will be that easy...
Clearlake got sales lined up, they know what they're doing, with the accounts and numbers.

Also possible the ffp rules will be changed this summer.

CannonBalls

Supports
Arsenal
Not to mention Everton's losses being largely due to their stadium project whereas Forest have just been spending too much money on their squad. Surely Everton's stadium spend should be considered less bad

I think this is a misconception.
Stadium expenses are deducted in the PL PSR calculations.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I think this is a misconception.
Stadium expenses are deducted in the PL PSR calculations.
A facet central to our argument though was sponsorship and naming right deals which were linked to the stadium which would have seen us be okay. Russian sanctions hit and we said bye bye to that.

Either way though it looks shit on us. We either get the points deduction for failing PSR/FFP that we have or we don't go through that and have a stadium sponsored and with naming rights from Usmanov which is basically the same as what City do with Etihad. Either way it's fudging books but if you can't beat them, join them, eh?

Rooney in Paris

Scout
Rnd initial post was talking about the stadium project which commercial deals were linked to and we have argued interest for loans relates to.
What does this mean?

I believe the rules are quite clear that investment in infrastructure is ok - any consequences and hopes linked to it (such as sponsorships) aren't factored in.

I also have very little sympathy for arguments linked to sanctioned parties.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
What does this mean?

I believe the rules are quite clear that investment in infrastructure is ok - any consequences and hopes linked to it (such as sponsorships) aren't factored in.

I also have very little sympathy for arguments linked to sanctioned parties.
That interest on loans the club took out were related to stadium costs but I believe the PL or commission sees them as for other factors and funnelled into the club instead.

True, but then we get into the area of subjectivity about who it is fair to sanction and who it isn't. :angel:
white text

Last edited:

CannonBalls

Supports
Arsenal
A facet central to our argument though was sponsorship and naming right deals which were linked to the stadium which would have seen us be okay. Russian sanctions hit and we said bye bye to that.

Either way though it looks shit on us. We either get the points deduction for failing PSR/FFP that we have or we don't go through that and have a stadium sponsored and with naming rights from Usmanov which is basically the same as what City do with Etihad. Either way it's fudging books but if you can't beat them, join them, eh?
I think Chelsea were afforded some deductions for bring in administration could have done something similar for Everton but then thats a slippery slope sonI understand why that was not done.
What I think is unfair is that getting charged twice in a single season for almost the same timeframe.

Rooney in Paris

Scout
That interest on loans the club took out were related to stadium costs but I believe the PL or commission sees them as for other factors and funnelled into the club instead.

True, but then we get into the area of subjectivity about who it is fair to sanction and who it isn't. :angel:
white text
Thank God for the white text.

the_cliff

They'll find buyers for Gallagher. Not so sure on Reece James, he's a fantastic player when fit but the money Chelsea will ask for won't be worth the risk to any team.

You do have to ask the question though. How will they continue to spend when they run out of academy products to sell ?

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I don’t believe that report for one second. Duncan Castles isn’t someone I consider particularly well sourced when it comes to Chelsea.

If this does happen though, if these owners sell Reece James to get out of an FFP bind, it might be time for me to take a break from Chelsea and focus on other sports.

Last edited:

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Prepared is the wrong word.

Forced is what they're looking for. Got to sell players who don't already have amortization to clear off.

Without Europe money we're totally fecked for ffp I think.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Reece James fitness a big issue but they'd be riots if he was sold.