Chelsea appoint Thomas Tuchel

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
So we have a thread about Chelsea and Tuchel yet we still have the same old German posters coming in and taking swipes at United due to some bizarre bitterness about the club.

Any danger of our wonderful mods taking a look at this as it's literally in every thread in the football forum to some degree and it's putting people off bothering.
Whom are you refering to? Do you mean me?

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
I said it in different thread, I enjoy the German members perspective...even when Hansi is drunk!

Pow

Supports
Chelsea

Lmfao emersons last second goal took away the winnings of 250k for a super 6 player on skybet

TheReligion

Abusive
Whom are you refering to? Do you mean me?
Anyone who wants to keep derailing threads to have a swipe at United. Oddly in the FF it seems to be a regular thing with German posters.

I think telling people what they what they are and aren't allowed to post is a big hobby of his. It's nothing personal.
Not really. It just gets tedious. As I say, if people have such a deep rooted dislike of United the mind boggles as to why they'd join the biggest United forum, or any United forum, to discuss football.

Unless they just liked to wind people up. In that case the mods should look to get rid.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Do you not field 3 CBs + wingbacks for the most part since Tuchel arrived?
Wingbacks play up the field in the attack. They only fall back when the opponent has possession. Lampard used them more defensively when he played a back three.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
@TheReligion I have to say that I find it very troubling that you would keep appearing with menacing and aggressive attacks, indiscriminately refering to posters' nationality.
I have no idea why you feel the need to take such an obsessive, aggressive, bullying approach and tone, which especially in connection with wielding the sword of moderator action is emitting a cloud of toxicity.

Especially since your claim of posters 'derailing the thread' by taking 'pot shots at Man United' is objectively wrong if you look at the order of posts and in what context Man United was mentioned by whom, and then you enrich it with the ominous pointing at "German posters"
You display some worrying attitude of grievance-seeking and aggression.

youngrell

Wingbacks play up the field in the attack. They only fall back when the opponent has possession. Lampard used them more defensively when he played a back three.
Exactly. We've mostly played 3 at the back and a couple of times 4.

I've never heard the formation we are playing called "5 at the back". It's always referred to as a back 3.
But it is 5 defenders, right? I mean out of the 4 wingbacks you've been mostly using, 3 of them are full backs, the other being Hudson-Odoi?

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
But it is 5 defenders, right? I mean out of the 4 wingbacks you've been mostly using, 3 of them are full backs, the other being Hudson-Odoi?
If you've watched us play you'll know that they spend more time in the opposing half than their own.

Saying Chelsea play with a "back 5" is just wrong, which is why everybody else on the planet correctly calls it a "back 3" or "three at the back".

90 + 5min

A lot of our fans like to downplay this because it looks bad on our current manager. You can't just come in and imprint your identity on your team and make it competitive straight away. You need to spend hundreds of millions and a good 4-5 years of rebuilding before you seem remotely competent.

I'm actually surprised at the transformation your team went through, specifically your defense. It went from being your weakest point to your biggest asset. Tuchel showed more defensive solidity than Simenone's Atletico which is no small feat. Well played.
Bad on our manager?

You would be wanting manager sacked if we were playing with 5 defenders every game.

Stop with the agenda.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Not the way they are being used in the games. CHO and Alonso are used to widen our attack so that Werner, Havretz, and Ziyech make runs behind the defense. They are being used as attacking players. When Lampard used a back three he would have the midfielders more involved with the attack and the wing backs were not as far forward so they were getting back faster. It left us weak in the middle and teams exploited it. Tuchel uses the double pivot to force opponents to attack to the outside. The midfield is involved in the attack, but the wingbacks are more involved.

youngrell

If you've watched us play you'll know that they spend more time in the opposing half than their own.

Saying Chelsea play with a "back 5" is just wrong, which is why everybody else on the planet correctly calls it a "back 3" or "three at the back".
Well, it depends on the opponents. United managed to keep your wingbacks back a lot of the time, particularly CHO. Liverpool kept them further back again and I imagine other top teams will mostly do the same.

For what it's worth, I call it a back 3 myself, but it's not really a crazy thing to call it a back 5.

The fact remains that Tuchel has added a centre back, and replaced wingers and full backs with wingbacks. It's definitely a more defensively solid team/approach than what Lampard was aiming for.

TheReligion

Abusive
@TheReligion I have to say that I find it very troubling that you would keep appearing with menacing and aggressive attacks, indiscriminately refering to posters' nationality.
I have no idea why you feel the need to take such an obsessive, aggressive, bullying approach and tone, which especially in connection with wielding the sword of moderator action is emitting a cloud of toxicity.

Especially since your claim of posters 'derailing the thread' by taking 'pot shots at Man United' is objectively wrong if you look at the order of posts and in what context Man United was mentioned by whom, and then you enrich it with the ominous pointing at "German posters"
You display some worrying attitude of grievance-seeking and aggression.
We'll call that a guilty conscience on your part I think.

As I say. I'm sure it's all being noted.

bsCallout

Exactly. We've mostly played 3 at the back and a couple of times 4.

I've never heard the formation we are playing called "5 at the back". It's always referred to as a back 3.
You are playing two defenders at RWB and LWB and a CDM. It should be called 7 at the back!

Mount's Goatieson

Supports
Chelsea
It's hardly a surprise is it?

He's mostly added a defender, played two 6s' in the middle of the park and put more focus on possession over fast transitions.

Another result of that is they score less goals themselves. I'm not downplaying how well organised they are under him but it's not rocket science, and not a style of play which would really fly at United either, which has been proven over a number of years in the last decade.
Which of our games under Tuchel do you think we've gone in playing ultra defensive? We may be playing with a 3 back system, but it is the most offensive 3 back formation you'll ever see. Watch the average positions of our wide CB Azpi and Rudiger against ATM for example. We keep a very high line and press a lot in midfield.
We also keep the ball a lot because it is probably the most sensible thing any big team should be able to do. This means that the opposition will have to produce something special to hurt us the rare moments they manage to win back the ball. Check out Barca (2007-present), Bayern (2011-present), City (2016-present).
Only few big teams have managed successful without being a purely possession oriented team, United (days of Fergie), Real Madrid (2009-present) and Liverpool now.

SAFMUTD

Suddenly Chelsea doesn't look like shit, Tuchel is pragmatic but he's a good coach. Would have taken him any day. I think Chelsea will improve drastically next season.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
To be honest, I love what I see, but the jury is out until we lose a few games. Perhaps he has mellowed, but his past shows this is when the disagreeable Tuchel comes out.

It would be great if that scenario never occured.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I can see why people are arguing about whether to call it a back three or back five, but in the end seeing Alonso and CHO play on the wings should answer any question about whether it signifies a lack of attacking intent.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Which of our games under Tuchel do you think we've gone in playing ultra defensive? We may be playing with a 3 back system, but it is the most offensive 3 back formation you'll ever see. Watch the average positions of our wide CB Azpi and Rudiger against ATM for example. We keep a very high line and press a lot in midfield.
We also keep the ball a lot because it is probably the most sensible thing any big team should be able to do. This means that the opposition will have to produce something special to hurt us the rare moments they manage to win back the ball. Check out Barca (2007-present), Bayern (2011-present), City (2016-present).
Only few big teams have managed successful without being a purely possession oriented team, United (days of Fergie), Real Madrid (2009-present) and Liverpool now.
Real Madrid definitely adapted elements of the Barca style during their CL winning years. They played Kroos and Modric in midfield, probably the pairing closest to Xavi and Iniesta as of yet. You could also add Spain and Germany to that which are probably the two most successful national teams since 2008.

I don't think top teams have much of a choice to be honest. Possession is forced upon you with so much quality in the team, like it or not.

youngrell

I have not said you are ultra defensive. I said it's not rocket science that you are more defensively stable after adding more defensively capable players to your starting XI, along with improving your possession play.

I haven't said anything extraordinary, just as Tuchel hasn't done anything revolutionary like some seem to think because Chelsea have all of a sudden stopped leaking goals. He's applied a simple solution to a simple problem.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
So we have a thread about Chelsea and Tuchel yet we still have the same old German posters coming in and taking swipes at United due to some bizarre bitterness about the club.

Any danger of our wonderful mods taking a look at this as it's literally in every thread in the football forum to some degree and it's putting people off bothering.
Love those Germans :lol: .

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
You made the list. Francis has noted it.
Who's Francis?
And why is it so difficult to understand that this is a great, rewarding place to discuss Premier League football and football in general, and even matters beyond football, probably the best there is; and it's not that weird or sinister that people who don't support Man United but are interested in the exchange would be wanting to join and post. And then a thread about Tuchel would attract increased attention and the urge to contribute from us, the German contingent, fair enough if one might find that ridiculous, but it's not really that surprising is it.

tomaldinho1

Should start short term banning posters who turn this into Ole vs Tuchel thread. Someone should start an Ole versus X, Y, Z thread where people can argue to their heart's content.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Who's Francis?
And why is it so difficult to understand that this is a great, rewarding place to discuss Premier League football and football in general, and even matters beyond football, probably the best there is; and it's not that weird or sinister that people who don't support Man United but are interested in the exchange would be wanting to join and post. And then a thread about Tuchel would attract increased attention and the urge to contribute from us, the German contingent, fair enough if one might find that ridiculous, but it's not really that surprising is it.
1980s Movie Stripes with Bill Murray reference. The Francis character was constantly making a list of people he would report.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Who's Francis?
Stop pretending you're innocent you undercover wum. That was malicious of you and you know it. You're guest here, behave!

passing-wind

No offense but your tie against PSG really should've gone to Paris, they looked a class above you although they were missing Neymar and I believe Verratti, too. Mbappe had an atrocious game on top of that.

I also think his time at PSG comes with an asterisk. He clearly saw it as a stepping stone to present himself to top clubs, get his CV a few trophies, etc. After he was fired at Dortmund, he had the reputation of being a very difficult character and no top clubs were interested. He was even rumored to take over some clubs smaller than the BVB. PSG was a chance for him and he took it but the Chelsea job is much more fitting to him. No divas, a much more balanced squad, more depth, better work ethic, etc. He was still very successful with PSG, mind, and popular among the players. But I think he made many compromises how won't have to make at Chelsea.
Totally untrue the Chelsea players supposedly were reporting discontent with Lampard with club hierarchy if news is correct alongside the same thing happening under Mourinho. I think the temperament in the modern game for players is completely different to the past. No matter how it's explained managers are more disposable than the players.

R'hllor

Maybe its just me but non United fans in here dont bother me one bit, nor what they post ( having digs at United or not ). If people cant take it, just put them on ignore.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Totally untrue the Chelsea players supposedly were reporting discontent with Lampard with club hierarchy if news is correct alongside the same thing happening under Mourinho. I think the temperament in the modern game for players is completely different to the past. No matter how it's explained managers are more disposable than the players.
Player power exists to some extent at every successful club.

As Roy Keane once said you don't win titles with choir boys.

sourdough satellite

Maybe its just me but non United fans in here dont bother me one bit, nor what they post ( having digs at United or not ). If people cant take it, just put them on ignore.
Same here, I find the non-United fans here quite reasonable for the most part.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Do you really compare unhappy players after the coach allegedly didn't talk to them for months with Mbappe, Neymar, Dani Alves, Di Maria, Paredes or Verratti? Come on. I really like the PSG team but they're definitely divas. Much more so than the Chelsea team. I don't even know who even qualifies in this squad - Hudon-Odoi? [Irrelevant point] maybe?

passing-wind

Wing backs and full backs are two different functions. The full backs have to always maintain balance aiding the back line of the defensive two center half's, so there's more focus to defend.

Wing backs overlap and have far more freedom to roam attacking lines due to the presence of either side of the back-three, posing less risk if the opposition retain the ball against the run of play. I think the biggest importance is coaching the back three defensively, as we have seen with Solskjaer at times if the wing backs are too wide or narrow defensively the opponent will either overload the wide areas causing the team to become narrow leaving spaces.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Do you really compare unhappy players after the coach allegedly didn't talk to them for months with Mbappe, Neymar, Dani Alves, Di Maria, Paredes or Verratti? Come on. I really like the PSG team but they're definitely divas. Much more so than the Chelsea team. I don't even know who even qualifies in this squad - Hudon-Odoi? [Irrelevant point] maybe?
This is from The Athletic

But who were these players who didn’t get on with Lampard?

Well according to pundit Danny Murphy, via Chris from the Fulham Broadway’s Finest podcast, Mateo Kovačić and Antonio Rudiger.

Murphy was on talkSPORT on Monday morning after Lampard’s sacking and claimed: “A source told me that Rudiger & Kovacic went directly to the board to talk about Lampard.”
https://theathletic.com/2298337/202...marina-unhappy-players-and-secret-job-offers/

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Player power exists to some extent at every successful club.

As Roy Keane once said you don't win titles with choir boys.
Yeah, this probably happens at every big club with star players. It's notorious for Real Madrid or the 90s teams of Bayern, and even recently Uli Hoeneß told the story of how Ribéry called him angrily to complain after every single game he was subbed off (no matter the coach).

We never know what's really going on, what's made up and what's blown out of proportion, but what could clearly be seen was how Lampard took the approach to put himself above the players in his public interviews; to make clear that they had to reach a level where he already exists; everyone noticed that and everyone could guess that it might spell trouble for him, considering he could hardly hide he was learning on the job, too.

So in a way, it was Lampard who insisted on a kind of publicly fought out struggle players vs manager, and if I had to guess why he did that, I'd say he thought it was the best way to make clear the ambitions he wanted to set, and to actively welcome and approve an atmosphere of pressure to win.

I could imagine that since he couldn't draw on experience in how to handle a group of players (as he has none), in terms of the balance of cuddling/supporting/protecting them and provoking/challenging/being demanding of them, he modeled his public approach on that of Mourinho, the manager who embodies success at Chelsea and always takes great care to cultivate the image of being a winner who demands only the best.
Problem is 1) he is no Mourinho and hasn't the record to point to 2) this works not even for Mourinho if you can't simultaneously produce clear solutions for the players on the training ground and in coaching.

And in the end, like with Mourinho, he came across like it hurt his ego that the players weren't as successful as he deserved, which just doesn't fly.

But sooner or later, also Tuchel will run into trouble, he's got it in him too.

Last edited: