Chelsea appoint Thomas Tuchel

Pickle85

Doing well so far. Has them looking MUCH more organised and more solid but yet to get them really clicking up top in the way that the money spent (at least) would suggest they could. If he starts getting BL form out of Havertz and Werner and signs a couple of players for next season (CB, CM/RB) then he'll have them challenging.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Tuchel has done a phenomenal job thus far. I know folks will point out that it's only a goal scored per game average, but they're just not conceding, and quite frankly it doesn't matter that much whether you're banging them in if your defence is that water tight. The most difficult thing to fix is the defence; Tuchel has fixed the most difficult thing right away. Scoring will inevitably come.
I can't understand what happened to Rudiger. I mean it's not as if he was good 2 years ago and had a bad run for a couple of months, he was truely average for years now and has been looking like Baresi since Tuchel joined. It's VERY surprising to me.

non profit football

Supports
Chelsea
I doubted Tuchel, I doubted the choices for this game, but today Chelsea played a great game against one of the toughest teams in Europe.

Kante, Kante, Kante.
How great you are!

Zouma, Rudiger, Kovacic made great performances as well.

Today everyone is to be congratulated.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I can't understand what happened to Rudiger. I mean it's not as if he was good 2 years ago and had a bad run for a couple of months, he was truely average for years now and has been looking like Baresi since Tuchel joined. It's VERY surprising to me.
On a random note if we both make the final Tuchel gets a winners medal regardless of the result :lol:

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Playing in a back 3 vs a back 4 completely suits him. He is encouraged to be as aggressive as he likes pushing up and engaging in 1v1s - he's been incredible in duels this year:

In a back 4, far too often he has to retreat and defend whilst running backwards. When he's on the front foot, he's genuinely tremendous and this system allows him to do that more often than not.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Not surprising to me, he was great his first season at Chelsea.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Tuchel has taken the exact players that Lampard was throwing under the bus and questioning their heart, and made them look great on defense. I am a fan of Lampard the player, Tuchel is really exposing how much Frank was not ready as a manager.

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
Really happy for him :)

I'm really curious to see Chelsea against a top offense. Until now their defense looks rock solid which is quite surprising after how vulnerable it was under Lampard.

RooneyLegend

You could see this happening from a mile away. The mediocrity that is Lampard discarded with and a proven coach being brought in.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Far better manager than I thought he was. Hopefully he can settle on an attack that works. Our decision making in the final third the only thing that's lacking.

RooneyLegend

Really happy for him :)

I'm really curious to see Chelsea against a top offense. Until now their defense looks rock solid which is quite surprising after how vulnerable it was under Lampard.
From championship coach to CL proven coach. This is a huge upgrade.

unbeatabla

Supports
Chelsea
It was 4 years ago, hard to say it's "not surprising" to see him being that dominant after a couple of games under Tuchel.
He was actually pretty good under Sarri too. That's why he was touted as the one to fix our leaky defense at the start of Lampards reign (he missed the first 1 or 2 months through injury). It was only last season that he was playing badly, but so were almost all of our defenders, so it was probably mostly down to the system.

Juanito

Supports
Chelsea
I completely agree, Rudiger looked horrible for two years. Can't remember a single good game and then like you said he's playing like boss out of nowhere! haha

He'sRaldo

I was wondering this - why did he end up not achieving at PSG and Dortmund? If he did then let me know.
He won Dortmund their last trophy and took PSG farther in the CL than they've ever been before, almost winning a treble in the process.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
I was wondering this - why did he end up not achieving at PSG and Dortmund? If he did then let me know.
He's a very competent manager and I would have wanted him at Bayern in 2018, instead of Kovac, but let's keep expectations in check. I don't see him winning the league against a Pep-coached City, especially with all the other teams in play.

He'sRaldo

Nice I didn't know he did that well
Yeah he's very good, played pretty much my favourite brand of football at Dortmund in 2015 and came 2nd with a record points total (funny enough, his coaching ability ultimately caused us to buy Mkhitaryan from Dortmund :lol:).

But I'm not sure if he can come out on top against the point totals we've seen in the PL in recent years.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I feel like Tuchel always starts really well, where he seems to struggle is over time, his personality and tactics tend to rub players/staff the wrong way. It's all peaches now, but I'm keeping an eye out for an eventual implosion until he bucks the trend.

Chairman Steve

They’ve definitely had him lined up to ideally take over as manager since they bought Werner and Havertz haven’t they?

I think Lampard unexpectedly overachieved last season much like Di Matteo did and Abramovich didn’t want to look like the dickhead dumping the club legend after a successful season even though he had his eyes on someone else, but “whatever I’m still going to buy Havertz and Werner” and Frank just accepts it with very little input, and if he doesn’t work out then we can get Tuchel to rock the boat with the Qataris and he’ll come to us.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Their defensive record is off the scale since he came in.

Lampard conceded 50 odd goals with basically same set of defenders last season. :lol: Even adding Thiago Silva improved things for first few months before they completely lost their way over xmas.

Teja

He is actually really good. I had him down as just your usual PSG manager who can stomp the French league but completely ineffective when it comes to playing against good teams. Missed the boat here unfortunately.

Him vs Guardiola would be really interesting.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal

Lampard conceded 50 odd goals with basically same set of defenders last season. :lol: Even adding Thiago Silva improved things for first few months before they completely lost their way over xmas.
What is really interesting is that Tuchel's defensive selections are just completely different than Lampard's. Tuchel's rocks are Rudiger, who was completely buried under Lampard until the very last few games of his tenure, Christensen, who was also out of favor under Lampard, and Azpilicueta, who was in and out of the side. Meanwhile, Zouma has gone from being an automatic selection to a nearly forgotten man, Thiago Silva hasn't played much (though mainly due to injury), and Chilwell has struggled to win a consistent role in the new formation.

It really just goes to show that things can change very quickly for a player. Many Chelsea supporters wanted Rudiger run out of town, and he seemed to have one foot out the door last summer, now he is one of Tuchel's most important players.

Jericho

The results have been much better than I expected. The only thing I'd say is Ole had a similar run when he joined. We'll have to wait and see. Hopefully they take 4th away from Liverpool.

dbs235

Very impressive start. Can't believe their defensive record when I wouldn't say they have any particually impressive defenders. Still think they need a proper goalscorer to complete the team and the links with Haaland would make a lot of sense which is worrying from a United perspective.

dpansheth

I feel like Tuchel always starts really well, where he seems to struggle is over time, his personality and tactics tend to rub players/staff the wrong way. It's all peaches now, but I'm keeping an eye out for an eventual implosion until he bucks the trend.
Agreed, he impressed me with tactical setup and tweaks based on individual strengths though.

Water Melon

Terrific manager, what a result. Abramovich is indeed a smart man who is passionate about the club that he owns.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
I said it elsewhere, but I think Chelsea are starting to become a bit of a worry. Currently, they're defending like prime 90's Milan and when watching them, I do not see many real chances they're giving up, let alone goals. Since Tuchel has came in the only two goals they have conceded have been a comical own goal and then some incredibly bad positional play by their 3rd choice central CB (Zouma) that allowed Mino to score past them for Soton. That is it.

Obviously, they cannot score for sh*t at the moment, but my concern is firstly, Tuchel needed to sort out their organisation and defence first, so that may still be to come.

Second is, if you plug someone like Haaland into the system they would have the potential to be a super team.

mu4c_20le

He kept playing Rudiger and Zouma partnership in a back 4 for some reason. His team attacked better though.