Chelsea appoint Thomas Tuchel

Fooza

And that's exactly why the Glazers have free reign to take the piss out of you, you basically facilitate their hatchet job on your club with this type of nonsense.
Well said, some are still living in the romantic period unfortunately. Games evolved but we haven't, sad to see.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Puli getting the opportunity to shine. I hope he is not RWB. I don't know he has the defensive chops.

non profit football

Supports
Chelsea
Yesterday it was again a headache to have to watch such a bad game by Chelsea, the team does not know how to generate an offensive game, and aside from some nice results and a supposedly safe defense I see disorder and incoherence in his decisions.

In the interview with Ferdinand, he said that he would not abandon the defense of 3 CB´s, which changes yesterday, to put Havertz as a fake 9 and a series of players out of his natural positions.

Havertz has no place in the team, needs a lot of work on the training ground, and needs to be psychologically reinforced, the same applies to Ziyech. It makes no sense to have two players unable to improve the team in any way.

11 goals in 10 games and very few moments of good football in an ocean of extreme boredom.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Yesterday it was again a headache to have to watch such a bad game by Chelsea, the team does not know how to generate an offensive game, and aside from some nice results and a supposedly safe defense I see disorder and incoherence in his decisions.

In the interview with Ferdinand, he said that he would not abandon the defense of 3 CB´s, which changes yesterday, to put Havertz as a fake 9 and a series of players out of his natural positions.

Havertz has no place in the team, needs a lot of work on the training ground, and needs to be psychologically reinforced, the same applies to Ziyech. It makes no sense to have two players unable to improve the team in any way.

11 goals in 10 games and very few moments of good football in an ocean of extreme boredom.
A Chelsea supporter with the name „non profit football“?
Okay then...

Ludens the Red

Is that you ? @TheReligion

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Amazing that we have a new manager who has gone his first 12 games unbeaten and yet suddenly he's Van Gaal reincarnated. Wind your necks in lads..

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Tbf, after Super Frank’s erratic attack at all cost approach, I find Tuchel’s brand of football calming.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Seems a bit of a blueprint for most successful teams (not saying TT will be successful fwiw) - but defensive solidity comes first and then work on the attack to click and win you matches/titles. Attack wins you games but defence wins you titles, as the saying goes.

But we've seen it with Liverpool under Klopp - who went up a level after signing VVD and Alison. And similar with Pep and City - when they've been strong at the back, they've generally been at their best. I suppose the difference being, those 2 teams were already quite free scoring before they added defensive steel to their repertoire.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Seems a bit of a blueprint for most successful teams (not saying TT will be successful fwiw) - but defensive solidity comes first and then work on the attack to click and win you matches/titles. Attack wins you games but defence wins you titles, as the saying goes.

But we've seen it with Liverpool under Klopp - who went up a level after signing VVD and Alison. And similar with Pep and City - when they've been strong at the back, they've generally been at their best. I suppose the difference being, those 2 teams were already quite free scoring before they added defensive steel to their repertoire.
I think for Tuchel it's about structure and control first, not necessarily defensive stability. The latter is a consequence of the former since the opponent can't score when he doesn't have the ball. So if Chelsea finishes matches with 65% possession and minimizes the possession losses in dangeorus areas, it's automatically very hard to score against them. As far as I remember, Chelsea already looked pretty solid under Lampard defensively, the Kepa blunders aside. Their defense was probably a bit underrated as it seems.

The attack is a bit worrying, IMO. I expected them to do better attacking-wise than they're currently doing after a few weeks under Tuchel. He has to watch out the team doesn't become one of those toothless possession sides. But it's still early days, the schedule is tight and there's probably not much time to practice attacking patterns. At least in the past, Tuchel's team played quite attractive attacking football.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Our recent fixtures have been brutal and playing on Saturday early away not easy. All in hard to be disappointed with results. We have on paper an easier run of fixtures after Atletico this Wednesday

Tuchel has given us a platform to build on and now needs to go finish the job last 9 league games.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I think for Tuchel it's about structure and control first, not necessarily defensive stability. The latter is a consequence of the former since the opponent can't score when he doesn't have the ball. So if Chelsea finishes matches with 65% possession and minimizes the possession losses in dangeorus areas, it's automatically very hard to score against them. As far as I remember, Chelsea already looked pretty solid under Lampard defensively, the Kepa blunders aside. Their defense was probably a bit underrated as it seems.

The attack is a bit worrying, IMO. I expected them to do better attacking-wise than they're currently doing after a few weeks under Tuchel. He has to watch out the team doesn't become one of those toothless possession sides. But it's still early days, the schedule is tight and there's probably not much time to practice attacking patterns. At least in the past, Tuchel's team played quite attractive attacking football.
Yeah they are struggling upfront but i suppose there's 2-3 attackers acclimatizing to a new league and as it's seemingly a challenge trying to shoehorn Werner into his best position. Wrt the bolded bit, yeah i wasn't being specific by saying defensive stability - whether it is due to controlling possession, or however, i literally just meant the end result - not conceding many goals. That always gives you a good platform to go out and win matches. I'd expect the attack to do a bit over the coming weeks but i think TT is struggling to find his best XI/balance, especially with Abraham out.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Our recent fixtures have been brutal and playing on Saturday early away not easy. All in hard to be disappointed with results. We have on paper an easier run of fixtures after Atletico this Wednesday

Tuchel has given us a platform to build on and now needs to go finish the job last 9 league games.
A proper cf in the summer is a must.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
A proper cf in the summer is a must.
Would be nice, my guess is we'll have to pretty much make do with what we've got though. Got to get more of out of attacking players we already have.

Unless can sell players or do swaps to raise money of course. I'll be really surprised if we spank a huge transfer fee on Haaland or similar without recouping £££ first. We've got a lot of players around the place who can be sold so is possible, if we can sell well.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Would be nice, my guess is we'll have to pretty much make do with what we've got though. Got to get more of out of attacking players we already have.

Unless can sell players or do swaps to raise money of course. I'll be really surprised if we spank a huge transfer fee on Haaland or similar without recouping £££ first. We've got a lot of players around the place who can be sold so is possible, if we can sell well.
Nah. Giroud and tammy likely to go.
Werner seems more a left forward than a cf.
We need a striker badly

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Well yeah long term it would obviously be boring but I do get some enjoyment out of seeing the tactical changes and us looking like a football team again after the utter chaos of December and January.

That plus I am fully confident TT will sort out the attacking issues eventually, the stats of previous attackers under him are no fluke.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
What's up with Ziyech just now? Any time I've seen him recently it's just not clicking for him, after such a good start under Lampard. Even our old pal Willian has taken over him in terms of assists, & he's been pants.

I've said before I'd have loved him at Arsenal, so not having a go. Just wondering if we think it's just a temporary issue?

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
What's up with Ziyech just now? Any time I've seen him recently it's just not clicking for him, after such a good start under Lampard. Even our old pal Willian has taken over him in terms of assists, & he's been pants.

I've said before I'd have loved him at Arsenal, so not having a go. Just wondering if we think it's just a temporary issue?
He's struggled a bit in a more structured system given he's inherently a risk taker. Playing in a more central position hasn't helped him either; he was most effective on the right cutting in. He's finding it harder when he's already central to begin with.

I think he's also been hurt by having either Pulisic or CHO at RWB - Ziyech had begun to develop real chemistry with James, and he's starting from square 1 with the others.

Idxomer

Chelsea have always been boring except under Ancelotti that one year where they were scoring for fun.

The Hazard and Costa years were the worst.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
He's struggled a bit in a more structured system given he's inherently a risk taker. Playing in a more central position hasn't helped him either; he was most effective on the right cutting in. He's finding it harder when he's already central to begin with.

I think he's also been hurt by having either Pulisic or CHO at RWB - Ziyech had begun to develop real chemistry with James, and he's starting from square 1 with the others.
Yeah, makes sense I suppose. He did look good with James earlier in the season, & thought he was another 1 that seemed perfectly suited to us while we were struggling with the out of form Willian & Pepe wide right.

Do we think he might be a casualty of the Tuchel regime going forward?

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah, makes sense I suppose. He did look good with James earlier in the season, & thought he was another 1 that seemed perfectly suited to us while we were struggling with the out of form Willian & Pepe wide right.

Do we think he might be a casualty of the Tuchel regime going forward?
It's possible? I still think he's the best suited to breaking down deep defenses among our attacking midfielders but it seems Tuchel generally favours more control than Ziyech provides (and frankly, if you're not letting him take risks then he's hugely blunted as a playmaker).

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
It's possible? I still think he's the best suited to breaking down deep defenses among our attacking midfielders but it seems Tuchel generally favours more control than Ziyech provides (and frankly, if you're not letting him take risks then he's hugely blunted as a playmaker).
That's a bit counterintuitive considering Ziyech was signed from Ajax who are known for possession based football. Especially under their last two coaches ten Haag and Bosz.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
That's a bit counterintuitive considering Ziyech was signed from Ajax who are known for possession based football. Especially under their last two coaches ten Haag and Bosz.
I do remember when we were linked before he went to Chelsea that fans who had watched him plenty said he will lose possession a lot, as he tries a lot of risky passes. When they come off he is great, but you can get frustrated with him. I remember thinking similar about Alexis Sanchez for us, but his numbers were so good at the time you just accepted it. Once his numbers went down in the last season, the frustration took over.

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
Give Tuchel some time and a summer to get in some players he needs. Although Chelsea has a good squad, I think the balance isn't right.
At Mainz and Dortmund he let play very attacking and sometimes really beautiful football. At PSG i only saw the CL matches but they were also quite attacking minded.

Tuchel was never known as a defensive minded coach or someone like van Gaal that puts possession of the ball over everything.

This Chelsea was horrendous in defense when he took over and quite bad in possession. Look at them just after a few weeks. They barely conceed a goal and look very confident in possession and passing the ball around. Yes, they need to improve in the final third of the pitch, but I think Tuchel build an excellent foundation for that.

non profit football

Supports
Chelsea
It seems clear to me that he hardly knew this Chelsea squad and its recent past.
He entered the middle of the season, certainly with requirements such as fitting Havertz and Ziyech in the team, in addition to having to enter the top4 in a league that is new to him.

He will have many excuses, but a good coach is the one who takes the best advantage of the squad he has, either tactically or in the choice of players. And it has to be clear, Havertz and Ziyech are a long way from being able to start in this team, they need to be worked out in the gym and psychologically and he needs to make a point there.

To play with a defense of 3 CB´s and the choice of players he has made does not make sense, football has been poor to be friendly, offensively the team is a desert of ideas.

Once again, Giroud, who is the team's best striker and goal guarantee, has been devalued.

The best Chelsea team today would be:
Mendy; James, Thiago, Rudiger, Chilwell; Kante, Kovacic, Mount; Pulisic / Werner, Giroud, Hudson-Odoi

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
It seems clear to me that he hardly knew this Chelsea squad and its recent past.
He entered the middle of the season, certainly with requirements such as fitting Havertz and Ziyech in the team, in addition to having to enter the top4 in a league that is new to him.

He will have many excuses, but a good coach is the one who takes the best advantage of the squad he has, either tactically or in the choice of players. And it has to be clear, Havertz and Ziyech are a long way from being able to start in this team, they need to be worked out in the gym and psychologically and he needs to make a point there.

To play with a defense of 3 CB´s and the choice of players he has made does not make sense, football has been poor to be friendly, offensively the team is a desert of ideas.

Once again, Giroud, who is the team's best striker and goal guarantee, has been devalued.

The best Chelsea team today would be:
Mendy; James, Thiago, Rudiger, Chilwell; Kante, Kovacic, Mount; Pulisic / Werner, Giroud, Hudson-Odoi
It seems clear that he has a better grasp than you do. Why on earth would you want us to go back to playing the way we were under Lampard?

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Giroud scores goals at a good rate but the team performance is always disjointed when he plays.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Giroud scores goals at a good rate but the team performance is always disjointed when he plays.
It's because he does absolutely nothing to create space for anyone. It took until Lampard's last game in charge for any Chelsea player besides Giroud to score from open play with Giroud on the pitch.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Tuchel best unbeaten start for a Chelsea manager. Must be the new manager bounce.

Hoof the ball

Tuchel best unbeaten start for a Chelsea manager. Must be the new manager bounce.
Tuchel has done a phenomenal job thus far. I know folks will point out that it's only a goal scored per game average, but they're just not conceding, and quite frankly it doesn't matter that much whether you're banging them in if your defence is that water tight. The most difficult thing to fix is the defence; Tuchel has fixed the most difficult thing right away. Scoring will inevitably come.