Chelsea appoint Thomas Tuchel

Noodle

Supports
Chelsea
Why? The loan army has been very successful for us, both in terms of brining in extra money and also developing the likes of Mount/Christensen/Zouma/Tammy/James.

Of course not every loan is a winner but we've benefited from it hugely overall.

I don't see any benefit to the sort of huge exodus of fringe/loan players as you suggest.
I'm not suggesting we lose the young players or the loan model

I'm suggesting we sell the older players with some value that are not part of our plans, hence the names mentioned above. We made a profit last year due to the transfer ban and Hazard money. This year we're in line for a huge loss given our outlay, lack of comparative sales and Covid. I'm suggesting we cash in some value from the above to plug this and help us strengthen the first team further

Reactions: Cheimoon

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Yet he starts every game for us...
To be faaaiiir, our defensive record is atrocious, it's not like we have tons of quality options at CB, and also we are bringing in at least one replacement in Upamecano. Getting Boateng wouldn't make too much sense anymore for any top club.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I'm not suggesting we lose the young players or the loan model

I'm suggesting we sell the older players with some value that are not part of our plans, hence the names mentioned above. We made a profit last year due to the transfer ban and Hazard money. This year we're in line for a huge loss given our outlay, lack of comparative sales and Covid. I'm suggesting we cash in some value from the above to plug this and help us strengthen the first team further
The only players we'd get any sort of money for from your list are Barkley, RLC & Tomori. Ain't nobody giving us shit for Moses, Drinkwater or Zappacosta (all out of contract in 3 months).

A loan for Kepa could get us a decent transfer fee in a years time but nobody is paying for him at the moment.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
If the new rules for non-domestic players go into effect, it will change how we can keep so many players on loan.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
My thinking was that Thiago Silva and Azpilicueta are regulars this season and may well be next season. Then there'll be the choice between Christensen/Rüdiger/Zouma, all in their mid/late 20s. So I guess if someone is brought in/back, there's room for a next generation CB. But a top player in his prime always makes sense, of course.
Yeah that's a fair point. We do appear to have one too many CB's as it is though, and with Christensen and Rudiger's resurgence, Zouma could be the odd man out this summer, unless Tuchel plans to continue heavily rotating the team next season. I'd love to replace Rudiger generally speaking though.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Yeah that's a fair point. We do appear to have one too many CB's as it is though, and with Christensen and Rudiger's resurgence, Zouma could be the odd man out this summer, unless Tuchel plans to continue heavily rotating the team next season. I'd love to replace Rudiger generally speaking though.
With the defensive performances of late, do Chelsea fans see a possibility that no external CB is brought in? Just a selection from current first teamers + loanees?

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Not sure what you mean. Which new rules are you talking about?
The FIFA Council are yet to approve the new regulations that will only allow eight loan deals per club involving players aged 22 or over, including incoming and outgoing players, for the 2020-21 and 2021-22 seasons, with the number then being reduced to six for the subsequent 2022-23 season.

Per FIFA, the rules are being changed to “ensure that loans have a valid sporting purpose for youth development” as opposed to the wheeling and dealing that clubs like Chelsea and Manchester City have engaged in the last few years.
https://royalbluemersey.sbnation.co...gue-chelsea-man-city-everton-brands-ancelotti

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
With the defensive performances of late, do Chelsea fans see a possibility that no external CB is brought in? Just a selection from current first teamers + loanees?
It's definitely a possibility but will likely depend on whether Christensen and Rudiger can be persuaded to sign extensions, as I believe both will be entering the last year of their current deals next season. Personally I'd not be too fussed either way; I think the current setup fits our players very well and that's reflected in our defensive performances of late.

I recently saw links between us and Achraf Hakimi - that's a more interesting notion to me as a player who can perhaps split the difference between what CHO and James offer us at RWB.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
That's from over a year ago and those restrictions never got approved.

Player loans make money and that's all FIFA cares about.
They got set aside because of Covid, I don't think these rule changes are done, just not right now.

RooneyLegend

Tuchel's start has been nothing short of fantastic but we've been here before, it's like groundhog day for the club. What i really want to see is us get to the next level and to do that we have to clear out and get those one or two world class players.

Barkley, Loftus-Cheek, Drinkwater, Moses, Bakayoko, Zappacosta, Emerson, Tomori, Batshuayi, Kepa all have to go. There is probably another 5-6 to add to that out on loan plus players like Giroud or Abraham who may leave if we are signing replacements.

All in all it's time to get rid of quantity and make room for quality
I'm astonished that no one at Chelsea can see that Tomori is quality.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I'm astonished that no one at Chelsea can see that Tomori is quality.
The way he was handled was utterly bizarre. Really can't understand what Lampard was thinking. Meanwhile at Milan he's literally displaced the captain two months in after being completely frozen out at Chelsea.

At this point I'm just hoping they can't come up with the funds to purchase him. He's tailor-made to be a wide CB in a back 3.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Wasn't Tomori starting a lot initially, under Lampard, last season? And wasn't he doing great? I always wondered what happened there, why Lampard suddenly simply stopped selecting him at all.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Wasn't Tomori starting a lot initially, under Lampard, last season? And wasn't he doing great? I always wondered what happened there, why Lampard suddenly simply stopped selecting him at all.
Indeed he was, and he signed a 5 year deal with the club on that basis. Basically once the calendar ticked over to 2020 though he simply was dropped like a stone - Lampard never gave an adequate justification for this in public or to Tomori himself apparently. Even this year, Lampard wouldn't even select him for cup games. Genuinely bizarre especially as Tomori was given Derby's player of the year award for the season Lampard spent there prior to being appointed at Chelsea.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Yes he did. Iirc it was some attitude problem was the reason given.
We'd be stupid to let him go. He's a quality player with great pace at cb. He'd be perfect for a slot in our 3 at the back.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
And the decision to loan him out was made before Tuchel took over? And do Milan have a buy option?

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I mean he wasn't dropped for no reason. Rudiger returned from injury. That was the reason, and at the time most of us considered him our best CB. He was certainly the most experienced.

The initial decision to drop him was clear. What followed in the 12 months after was less understandable.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
If the new rules for non-domestic players go into effect, it will change how we can keep so many players on loan.
Actually if I remember correctly, it doesn’t particularly affect us at all. Most of our academy is now produced locally. Gone are the days of us buying dozens of international youth players to improve our academy. Most of our players are exempt from the rules.

As for the first team players, they will all be sold or released or given free transfers. I can’t think of anyone that has any current value to our team and are only out on loan because no one can or is willing to pay their wages and transfer fees combined.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Actually if I remember correctly, it doesn’t particularly affect us at all. Most of our academy is now produced locally. Gone are the days of us buying dozens of international youth players to improve our academy. Most of our players are exempt from the rules.

As for the first team players, they will all be sold or released or given free transfers. I can’t think of anyone that has any current value to our team and are only out on loan because no one can or is willing to pay their wages and transfer fees combined.
I agree with that. It will just stop us from grabbing older players on a free with the intention to loan them and make money on a quick sale within a few years. It sucks for the players, as they usually benefit from the transactions too.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Milan will buy Tomori i think. Maldini and Pioli the coach, aswell as the directors are praising how good he is and how he has settled in well. Even going as far as to say they do want to buy him, but will perhaps look to negotiate the buyout fee.

It'll likely be incentivised quite a bit, but will get done i reckon. 20 plus add ons making it up to the 25

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Some media outlets want to keep pushing the idea that Pulisic wants to leave at the end of the season. He has said that is not the case. I thought this poll of Chelsea fans was interesting.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Would any of you drop Christensen now that Silva is fit again? He's hasn't really put a foot wrong since he's been in the team, though Silva was/still is one of the main leaders and the best defender in the team.

It’s worth noting that when Zouma was down injured in the Everton game, Tuchel asked Silva to warm up rather than Rudiger, who would have been the natural replacement on that side of the back three. So perhaps Tuchel has ideas about playing Christensen and Silva together?

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Some media outlets want to keep pushing the idea that Pulisic wants to leave at the end of the season. He has said that is not the case. I thought this poll of Chelsea fans was interesting.

I don't think it's true that he wants to leave but it's a predictable media narrative since he isn't currently a starter. These rumours always surface about players who just happen to be going through a period of not being a regular starter.

As for the question, no I really do not want to sell Pulisic. It would be madness to let him go.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
The perfect example of the benefits of abandoning sentiment & romance, getting rid of the legend whose out of his depth & bringing in a proper coach. We could learn from them. But we won’t. Lampard was never going to win anything, in the same way Ole isn’t. Roman realised this & acted, our board realise it too but won’t act unless we don’t finish top 4, because we don’t care about winning trophies.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Would any of you drop Christensen now that Silva is fit again? He's hasn't really put a foot wrong since he's been in the team, though Silva was/still is one of the main leaders and the best defender in the team.

It’s worth noting that when Zouma was down injured in the Everton game, Tuchel asked Silva to warm up rather than Rudiger, who would have been the natural replacement on that side of the back three. So perhaps Tuchel has ideas about playing Christensen and Silva together?
In the Leeds presser today, Tuchel said they can play together in both a back three and back four. In a three, Silva will be in the middle, but Christensen can play both outside positions.

Edit: He also said that TS had a minor setback in training and won't be in the squad tomorrow.

Last edited:

Lowkey

The perfect example of the benefits of abandoning sentiment & romance, getting rid of the legend whose out of his depth & bringing in a proper coach. We could learn from them. But we won’t. Lampard was never going to win anything, in the same way Ole isn’t. Roman realised this & acted, our board realise it too but won’t act unless we don’t finish top 4, because we don’t care about winning trophies.
we have tried hiring world class managers who have failed at even reaching top 4. atleast you can see improvement in the team with Ole and he has got rid of deadwood too. Ole is doing it the united way. Not the PLASTIC buy a trophy short term way. The ilk of the 2 clubs is different. I think you need to give our manager some credit friend. He has even made Luke Shaw look like our best player this season.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

we have tried hiring world class managers who have failed at even reaching top 4. atleast you can see improvement in the team with Ole and he has got rid of deadwood too. Ole is doing it the united way. Not the PLASTIC buy a trophy short term way. The ilk of the 2 clubs is different. I think you need to give our manager some credit friend. He has even made Luke Shaw look like our best player this season.
We have tried world class managers so let’s try an average one?

We haven’t had a single world class manager since SAF. Jose was a couple of years past being world class & van Gaal hadn’t been world class in about a decade. Both were falling behind the times when we appointed them, evidenced by LVG not taking another job & Jose struggling at Spurs.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Spending just as much money and having nothing to show for it is the Manchester way? You throw around plastic like you bring up all your own players. I bet Chelsea has more academy graduates starting. It is desperation when you feel the need to hurl insults when your club is spending just as big, but doing it poorly.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
In the Leeds presser today, Tuchel said they can play together in both a back three and back four. In a three, Silva will be in the middle, but Christensen can play both outside positions.

Edit: He also said that TS had a minor setback in training and won't be in the squad tomorrow.
Good for Tuchel that he can just kick the can down the road and deal with the selection headache another time. The main [rather harsh] criticism against Christensen during this run has been that he can only play at the heart of a back three where he is protected from all sides.

jakko

Supports
Chelsea
What the hell is the "United way"?. I dont get it. Ole has done a decent job overall, the best since Alex Ferguson retired anyway. But Ole would love to win a trophy, unfortunately he always loses in the semi final.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
And that's exactly why the Glazers have free reign to take the piss out of you, you basically facilitate their hatchet job on your club with this type of nonsense.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

What exactly is that? Yesterday we ended the game with 5 defenders & 3 defensive midfielders. Is that the “United Way” ?

Is it about homegrown talent? Because Chelsea have about the same number as us. We have also spent more money than them. So do please tell me, what exactly is this “United Way” because it doesn’t sound too different to the “Plastic Way” although Chelsea have 2 league titles since we last won one, so maybe it’s a better approach?

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
What exactly is that? Yesterday we ended the game with 5 defenders & 3 defensive midfielders. Is that the “United Way” ?
I mean that is slightly disingenuous tbf when you saw our bench. Basically the only subs that were available (especially when you factor in martials injury).

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

I mean that is slightly disingenuous tbf when you saw our bench. Basically the only subs that were available (especially when you factor in martials injury).
Taking off Bruno was sackable.

I just want Ole’s United Way & Chelsea’s plastic way explaining to me. Because since 2013 we’ve promoted about the same number of youngsters, we have spent more money & they have won more trophies. Can someone please tell me how our United Way is better? Thanks.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Taking off Bruno was sackable.

I just want Ole’s United Way & Chelsea’s plastic way explaining to me. Because since 2013 we’ve promoted about the same number of youngsters, we have spent more money & they have won more trophies. Can someone please tell me how our United Way is better? Thanks.
Were you one of the ones who said we should rest all of our players for europa? If not then fair enough!