Chelsea appoint Thomas Tuchel

FatTails

Even if he wins 25 CL's in a row, he is one of the biggest numpties in football. How the feck do you give Giroud a fanatical 30 seconds long instruction when there's 28 seconds to play and you're 2-0 up. Roger Schmidt at psv does the same thing. Maybe it's a cultural thing.

How do you take yourself that seriously. Boggles my mind.
You really read some strange stuff on here. This is your issue with him? Really?

He’s on many million pounds a year salary, the stakes are very high, and he is being methodical and comprehensive. I expect more than “Go on lad, run hard and fight for every ball” at this level.

Boggles the mind that you don’t want him to take it seriously.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Tuchel is a top coach, no doubt about it. He steadies the ship and solidifies the defense. But I am not sure if the way they play now can make Chelsea a title challenger next season. They have to evolve their play to score enough.
Havertz is only just coming into form and Werner would be a 20 goal striker this season if he hadn't missed so many easy chances. I don't think the system is the issue. We need those guys to bed in better next season and probably to bring in a top class CF too.

Wilt

Since at Chelsea... 24 games, W16, D6, L2 (18 clean sheets)

CL and FA cup finalist, impressive to say the least.

Just a thought.... if they manage to sign Haaland?

Last edited:

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Remember looking at Chelsea's team in 2013/14 and thinking how Mourinho is making them slowly but surely into a proper team that can challenge for title, as they were more od a cup them for few seasons until he took over. Feels similar with this Tuchel's Chelsea now, you can expect much of them next season (and they are achieving things this season already).
Yeah, I see things similar. However, where Jose decided it was a good idea to sell KdB and Salah, I don't see Tuchel doing something similar.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Since at Chelsea... 24 games, W16, D6, L2 (18 clean sheets)

CL and FA cup finalist, impressive to say the least.

Just a thought.... if they manage to sign Haaland?
If they do that, they would as a collective, probably be the best squad in England. I say this not due to first XI vs first XI against Utd, City, Leicester and the Dippers etc, but because of their depth and the way Tuchel is coaching them. I mean look at the two Madrid games, give Håland those chances and the aggregate score is more likely to be 5 - 1 if not more.

La Vecchia Signora

Supports
Juventus
Two in a row UCL finalist. Hope he wins this time.

If City loses they will go crazy and pep will leave.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Remember looking at Chelsea's team in 2013/14 and thinking how Mourinho is making them slowly but surely into a proper team that can challenge for title, as they were more od a cup them for few seasons until he took over. Feels similar with this Tuchel's Chelsea now, you can expect much of them next season (and they are achieving things this season already).
give us a prime diego costa in this side and we are laughing !

Wilt

If they do that, they would as a collective, probably be the best squad in England. I say this not due to first XI vs first XI against Utd, City, Leicester and the Dippers etc, but because of their depth and the way Tuchel is coaching them. I mean look at the two Madrid games, give Håland those chances and the aggregate score is more likely to be 5 - 1 if not more.
I think so too. Won‘t be easy to land Haaland but he (Haaland) must be considering them, young squad, top manager etc.

Giggs86

Name on the trophy. He is pulling a Di Matteo. I'd hate to be a City fan, this final has Chelsea win written all over it.

Bearded One

Great job by Tuchel at Chelsea, always rated him as one of the finest in the game today. I expect next season to be a three horse race between Us, Chelsea and City. We only need to do our homework in the transfer market and we’ll be ready to go.

Suedesi

Hats off - they look an absolute machine right now. He's clearly a talented coach and I wonder if, even though the forward line in particular is less 'star studded' than PSG simply by having players who buy into the system and seem to have no egos is going to be perfect for him.

Going to be a fascinating final. Huge pressure on Pep and City.
Hats off but it's going to be a boring fecking final with both teams playing with 7 midfielders each - 1:0 scoreline

Rektsanwalt

Supports
Schalke 04
Tuchel is a great coach and has been very successful for Chelsea so far considering the circumstances of him joining. He delivers and the results show how much impact a good manager can have - they are definitely on a whole other level compared to the team that played for fat Frank. Someone said it already in this thread, but if Chelsea land a proper striker or even a world class player like Haaland, they will become a serious (top) contender over night for all titles there are for them. I mean, Werner just doesn't cut it, he's shit as a striker and since strikers are all about finishing, he's definitely not suited for the role. Him playing behind Haaland, though, would be pretty good. Although I'd prefer Havertz playing behind the striker; he's got a higher ceiling, although Werner's pace could come in handy at times. Still, I don't think Werner has a future in this Chelsea squad.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Havertz is only just coming into form and Werner would be a 20 goal striker this season if he hadn't missed so many easy chances. I don't think the system is the issue. We need those guys to bed in better next season and probably to bring in a top class CF too.
So would a lot of strikers all over the world :lol:

That's the price they pay for all the internal politics between Tuchel and Leonardo.

justsomebloke

I never understand this logic. There's more than one way of playing football. Not every team has to play attacking football just to be great. It's a freaking sport with ton of tactics and strategies. Every team plays what suits their selection of players the most. The football will be actually dead when there's only style played by every team.
not to mention that Chelsea normally actually play very posession-oriented. They're not at all a sit-back-and-counterattack team.

slored1

Tuchel is just confirming that Lampard is a fraud. This Chelsea team has incredible depth, and Frank couldn't do shit with it.

Rektsanwalt

Supports
Schalke 04
Tuchel is just confirming that Lampard is a fraud. This Chelsea team has incredible depth, and Frank couldn't do shit with it.
The term "fraud" is getting thrown around far too often in this context these days. Obviously Lampard didn't work out and while he might be a shit coach all around, we don't know yet. What we definitely know is that under these circumstances Lampard couldn't succeed. As I said, maybe he's total shit anyway, but there's no need to make hyperbolic statements about Lampard's nonexistant achievements since the actual facts already show that he blows, so far. That's bad enough and actual reality.

thepolice123

I never understand this logic. There's more than one way of playing football. Not every team has to play attacking football just to be great. It's a freaking sport with ton of tactics and strategies. Every team plays what suits their selection of players the most. The football will be actually dead when there's only style played by every team.
I thought it was a very entertaining match played at a high tempo. That person must not have watched the match.

justsomebloke

Tuchel is a top coach, no doubt about it. He steadies the ship and solidifies the defense. But I am not sure if the way they play now can make Chelsea a title challenger next season. They have to evolve their play to score enough.
I agree that is the part of their game where they have challenges. It was really striking how Tuchel changed this team almost immediately - you could IMO see the basic elements of what they are now already in that first game against Wolves, just a few hours after he took over, which is really remarkable. What he did was establish a strong control game, where high and intensive pressing and defensive organisation resulted in a lot of possesion, and not much vulnerability. But for the most part, you haven't seen them create a lot of scoring chances, which is all the worse given that they lack clinical strikers who don't need many opportunitues.

To an extent, you could argue that is partly a result of Tuchel's tactics. He chooses to play a more defensive and risk-averse high pressing game than Liverpool and City, with three at the back. It may be the right choice for Chelsea, but it inescapably goes at the cost of their attacking game. And will likely continue to do so compared to the other big teams, if he persists with that system.

dal

Werner, Pulisic, Mount, Hudson Oki, Havertz, Ziyech.

Cavani, Martial, Rashford, Greenwood, Bruno, James.

The difference in technique and class here is amazing, our squad is the fourth best, Ole doing fantastically. Pogba playing 5-10 games on the left means he isn’t Included.

This is why I say we need Grealish and Kane who are technique monsters.

We haven’t spent any money on a decent forward (front 3 player) in their 20’s.

Kane and Grealish would win us this league and we must go for them.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

The difference in technique and class here is amazing, our squad is the fourth best, Ole doing fantastically. Pogba playing 5-10 games on the left means he isn’t Included.

As in Chelsea's higher than ours ?

hubbuh

If you're including Mount then Pogba should be included. Dan James barely features for us and shouldn't be on there. With the proper lineup (Pogba in for James), I'd take our lot over their forward players all day long. To downplay our squad/frontline to puff up the 'fantastic' job Ole has done is weird. Our squad is really good, teeming with technique and pace. With a couple of additions we should be challenging next season.

Likewise Chelsea are only a few additions away from having a really well balanced squad. It's not an unbelievable team in my opinion, but Tuchel is doing a fantastic job getting the most out of them and making them play like a proper team.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Tuchel is a great coach and has been very successful for Chelsea so far considering the circumstances of him joining. He delivers and the results show how much impact a good manager can have - they are definitely on a whole other level compared to the team that played for fat Frank. Someone said it already in this thread, but if Chelsea land a proper striker or even a world class player like Haaland, they will become a serious (top) contender over night for all titles there are for them. I mean, Werner just doesn't cut it, he's shit as a striker and since strikers are all about finishing, he's definitely not suited for the role. Him playing behind Haaland, though, would be pretty good. Although I'd prefer Havertz playing behind the striker; he's got a higher ceiling, although Werner's pace could come in handy at times. Still, I don't think Werner has a future in this Chelsea squad.
If I were them, I wouldn't go for a top striker but for Sancho. He's a generational talent and fits perfectly in their fluid attack. Havertz as a false 9 and Werner also work perfectly as seen yesterday. Both Chelsea and City are currently proving that thise formations work. And not too long ago, Liverpool reached twonfinals playing a false 9, too. Even PSG weren't playing a traditional no. 9 in their recent runs with Mbappe. In terms of work rate and runs Werner seems rather similar to him.

Sancho would be the icing on the cake. Sure, they currently are bad at finishing but a I believe this will come. Werner has 25-3 goals a season in him, Havertz at least 15-20. Same goes for Sancho if they signed him but even if not, Pulisic can also get there. The way they played yesterday, I'm not sure Haaland would really improve their attack. An xG of 3.88 against Madrid is very, very impressive.

justsomebloke

I don't agree with you - I think we have a significantly higher top end of attackers than Chelsea, though Chelsea has more depth of quality. There's no one there who matches Rashford, Pogba or Bruno, though they are all very good players. The same thing is true throughout the squad, really. Chelsea's strength is a big, high-quality squad, their weakness is that they're lacking any really elite individual players.

Whether that equals an advantage or a disadvantage compared to us is debatable, and also depends on your style of play. You could argue that both Tuchel and OGS have successfully adapted to the structure of their squads.

Rektsanwalt

Supports
Schalke 04
If I were them, I wouldn't go for a top striker but for Sancho. He's a generational talent and fits perfectly in their fluid attack. Havertz as a false 9 and Werner also work perfectly as seen yesterday. Both Chelsea and City are currently proving that thise formations work. And not too long ago, Liverpool reached twonfinals playing a false 9, too. Even PSG weren't playing a traditional no. 9 in their recent runs with Mbappe. In terms of work rate and runs Werner seems rather similar to him.

Sancho would be the icing on the cake. Sure, they currently are bad at finishing but a I believe this will come. Werner has 25-3 goals a season in him, Havertz at least 15-20. Same goes for Sancho if they signed him but even if not, Pulisic can also get there. The way they played yesterday, I'm not sure Haaland would really improve their attack. An xG of 3.88 against Madrid is very, very impressive.
His finishing was always average at best, so I highly doubt he'd be able to score such numbers.
Regarding Sancho/Haaland, yes, both would be great additions that could elevate that squad to a whole new level. I'd prefer Haaland in that case because Werner seems like the most obvious weak link. Maybe I'm biased but I hate Werner as a person and as a player with a passion. I'm still absolutely certain that he's the biggest problem for Chelsea. A proper 9 would do wonders.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
You really read some strange stuff on here. This is your issue with him? Really?

He’s on many million pounds a year salary, the stakes are very high, and he is being methodical and comprehensive. I expect more than “Go on lad, run hard and fight for every ball” at this level.

Boggles the mind that you don’t want him to take it seriously.
That's the caf for ya. Nothing if not original.

Honestly though, it's not that he takes his job seriously, he takes himself seriously. That multimillion a year salary is the whole point. People mistake themselves for someone important because they can afford a large house and a Ferrari. He's just a bloke telling other blokes to kick a ball around.

And he's not fooling anyone with the comb over haircut.

Last edited:

tomaldinho1

On that list I’d say United have the better individual players to be honest. That’s what is impressive with Chelsea, yes they have depth, but it’s the system they ply that’s elevated them. Who outside of Kante is in the argument for world class?

United’s problem has been the same for some time under numerous managers. We seem to only be able to improve through heavy spending - on paper we have a better defence and midfield than Chelsea and the forward line is very close.

justsomebloke

If we're talking about xG, then your point about not needing Haaland or another top striker overlooks a quite major point: While Chelsea has an xG not very different from the other top teams in the PL, they are underperforming that XG much more than any of the others. Leicester and United are 7-8 goals above their xG in the PL, City is just very slightly above, Liverpool is ~5 below and Chelsea are more than 7 below. They are also performing worse under Tuchel than they did under Lampard in this respect: 1.3 goals per game with a 1.8 xG, while Lampard had 1.7 goals per game with a 1.8 xG.

I think it is reasonable to assume that tells the same story as the eye test, which is that they're short of consistent, high quality finishers and that this is a major reason why they are not scoring as much as they should. Which means someone like Haaland would be exactly what they need. City does not have this problem. It also indicates that Tuchel has made Chelsea a better team essentially by re-balancing their game, improving organisation, possession, defence and control. Those are all foundational qualities, and is a great achievement. But, he has not yet made Chelsea a better offensive team, and they have if anything become less efficient, creating a similar number of chances as before but converting them more rarely.

Stacks

On that list I’d say United have the better individual players to be honest. That’s what is impressive with Chelsea, yes they have depth, but it’s the system they ply that’s elevated them. Who outside of Kante is in the argument for world class?

United’s problem has been the same for some time under numerous managers. We seem to only be able to improve through heavy spending - on paper we have a better defence and midfield than Chelsea and the forward line is very close.
Yep. Our answer is always transfers transfer windows and transfers. Carragher aluuded to it

passing-wind

Inaccurate statement Chelsea do not have a world class team in the slightest. There's room for improvement. I believe United to have the stronger potency of players on the first team sheet.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
this is a myth
we create plenty
we MISS a shitload
Been thinking about this a bit, & why I think (me included) have said they don't really enjoy watching Chelsea, & I think it might be perception more than anything else.

They go into a game to be structured & solid first & foremost. The play with 5 defenders & 2 not really creative midfielders in front of them, which helps give them that solidity. They don't concede, they don't give up many chances, & they have a control in most games, which is impressive for Chelsea fans, but not really fun for the neutral who let's be honest wants to see a bit of chaos. The average neutral just wants to see goals, & when your not scoring many, & not conceding many, games are perceived as a bit boring regardless of chances created.

He's done a very impressive job at Chelsea, & I'm sure if he gets 1 or 2 additions in the forward areas, Chelsea will be right up there challenging next season. The most impressive thing for me, is the aggressiveness in their play when they don't have the ball, & that's the thing that's difficult to maintain over a longer term, but he will get them success if he keeps the players buying into it.

Last edited:

Zlatans Knee

We have higher net spend than CHELSEA for 9 years running by about 300mill
The key there is Net. Because we are historically shit at selling players. We have not been great at buying them either, but we improved a bit since Ole joined. Although slabhead did not come cheap. I think we are in a far better position now than we have been for the past 8 years or so. Now we 'just' need a couple of players in key positions.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
To be fair, this is a Real side running on fumes at the end of a dynasty run. The midfield is on the wrong side of 30, the defence is older and their attack got significantly weaker since their best days with Ronaldo and Bale, replaced by Hazard and Vinicius.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Been thinking about this a bit, & why I think (me included) have said they don't really enjoy watching Chelsea, & I think it might be perception more than anything else.

They go into a game to be structured & solid first & foremost. The play with 5 defenders & 2 not really creative midfielders in front of them, which helps give them that solidity. They don't concede, they don't give up many chances, & they have a control in most games, which is impressive for Chelsea fans, but not really fun for the neutral who let's be honest wants to see a bit of chaos.

He's done a very impressive job at Chelsea, & I'm sure if he gets 1 or 2 additions in the forward areas, Chelsea will be right up there challenging next season. The most impressive thing for me, is the aggressiveness in their play when they don't have the ball, & that's the thing that's difficult to maintain over a longer term, but he will get them success if he keeps the players buying into it.
It's a perception because we either only score once or not at all miss a load of chances which puts pressure on our defence to hang on in the end. In the space of about 20 mins of the second half havertz hit the bar with a header missed a sitter silva missed 2 headers mount missed a sitter kante missed a sitter.
Werners constant misses have been well documented in numerous games this season including the first leg where we should have buried the match then, the cup semi against City moments after ziyech scored he's through 1 vs 1 and hits it straight at the keeper amongst other attacks we had. We could do this for multiple games whether it's the final finish or the pass before the team has constantly messed it up.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
It's a perception because we either only score once or not at all miss a load of chances which puts pressure on our defence to hang on in the end. In the space of about 20 mins of the second half havertz hit the bar with a header missed a sitter silva missed 2 headers mount missed a sitter kante missed a sitter.
Werners constant misses have been well documented in numerous games this season including the first leg where we should have buried the match then, the cup semi against City moments after ziyech scored he's through 1 vs 1 and hits it straight at the keeper amongst other attacks we had. We could do this for multiple games whether it's the final finish or the pass before the team has constantly messed it up.
Like I said, it's probably a perception rather than the reality. I was actually just trying to justify some fans thinking on their views on Chelsea, while at the same time praising Tuchel & Chelsea for what is actually happening, & why I mentioned with a more clinical addition to the forward line you'll be main challengers in the league for me.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
His finishing was always average at best, so I highly doubt he'd be able to score such numbers.
Regarding Sancho/Haaland, yes, both would be great additions that could elevate that squad to a whole new level. I'd prefer Haaland in that case because Werner seems like the most obvious weak link. Maybe I'm biased but I hate Werner as a person and as a player with a passion. I'm still absolutely certain that he's the biggest problem for Chelsea. A proper 9 would do wonders.
If we're talking about xG, then your point about not needing Haaland or another top striker overlooks a quite major point: While Chelsea has an xG not very different from the other top teams in the PL, they are underperforming that XG much more than any of the others. Leicester and United are 7-8 goals above their xG in the PL, City is just very slightly above, Liverpool is ~5 below and Chelsea are more than 7 below. They are also performing worse under Tuchel than they did under Lampard in this respect: 1.3 goals per game with a 1.8 xG, while Lampard had 1.7 goals per game with a 1.8 xG.

I think it is reasonable to assume that tells the same story as the eye test, which is that they're short of consistent, high quality finishers and that this is a major reason why they are not scoring as much as they should. Which means someone like Haaland would be exactly what they need. City does not have this problem. It also indicates that Tuchel has made Chelsea a better team essentially by re-balancing their game, improving organisation, possession, defence and control. Those are all foundational qualities, and is a great achievement. But, he has not yet made Chelsea a better offensive team, and they have if anything become less efficient, creating a similar number of chances as before but converting them more rarely.
Thing is, Werner's current season is a negative outlier. He was never the most clinical finisher but you don't score 28 goals in the Bundesliga being so nervous in front of goal. And so far Havertz hasn't only hinted his goal scoring abilities, too. He's a player who scored 15+ goals a season from midfield.

If they bring in Haaland, I believe their attack becomes much less fluid. Werner and Haaland make brillant runs but Werner is less focused on finishing with his. He creates much more chances for others since he likes to attack spaces on the wings or make runs to drag defenders out. That works very well with Havertz who loves to attack the spaces a striker leaves vacant. And vice versa, if Havertz plays as a false 9, him dropping between the lines allows the wingers to run directly towards goal, which again is great for Werner. Since Haaland is a much more "stationary" striker, I believe Chelsea would lose this element. I believe people underestimate the importance of Werner making run after run and having the opponent defenders always on their toes.

I also don't see that Haaland is involved in link up play and chance creation as much as Werner. He was instrumental in the cretion first goal and set up multiple other chances, e. g. the one for Pulisic he assisted with a backheel pass. Or the one for Kante when he beat a player in his own half and carried the ball until the opponent box. I believe an attack consisting of Werner, Sancho and Havertz (+ Pulisic) would just have so many synergies and they have more than enough goals in them, comparable to the Liverpool attack. And you could even occasionally drag Havertz back into midfield to play e. g. Pulisic, Ziyech or Hudson-Odoi in attack. Moreover, you aren't in trouble when your target man is injured.

So in essence, Haaland is a great player, no doubt, but having a more clinical finisher won't necessarily improve the team if it comes at the expense of chance creation. And I think squads who distribute goal scoring responsibilities across multiple players are generally much more stable.

non profit football

Supports
Chelsea
I had my doubts, but I have to remove my hat and congratulate Tuchel, what he is doing is within the reach of very few!

It was a great Chelsea decision.

Two consecutive Champions League finals in two unlikely contexts.
Train the crazy divas of Paris and take them where they never were, get fired after that, arrive at a Chelsea in the middle of the table and lost in a maze and achieve such good results in a few months.

Wow!
And he will be able to make all these players even better.

The final to enjoy, anything can happen, the pressure I think is on the other side.