Chelsea appoint Thomas Tuchel

Dominos

Why are people hyping his season so far?

So what if he took over when Chelsea were 9th, they were only 7 points behind 4th spot. Let's not act like Tuchel has done some miracle to get into the top 4. He relied on Rodgers being a shitebag and going defensive with 30 minutes to go today.

Also, Chelsea were very fortunate they got to play against a City reserve side and snatched 2 extra points late on which has secured a top 4 spot, clear penalty denied for City and the Aguero penalty miss. He has won 11/19 league games, it's really not THAT impressive and it's also very valid to say he has been extremely lucky. Scrapped into top 4 and had to rely on other sides collapsing like Spurs and Leicester.

Also imagine actually going on about being in a cup final when you lost it to a Leicester side with many injuries. :lol:

As for the CL, he should be thankful the VAR ref is a shambles, as Atletico would have knocked them out if the penalty and red card was given.

That being said if Chelsea win next week, that would turn into a very good season overall, nobody can deny that.
The bitterness. Lucky to overturn a 7 point deficit, and to knock out Atletico, Porto and Real Madrid fairly comfortably.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
He took over a side with immense quality, and a new manager bounce is certainly a factor too, which helps in cups particularly.

He is obviously a good manager so I think there's little we disagree on. Just I wouldn't go so far as to say his turnaround was excellent, just yet.
Yeah the quality in the team is obvious and we shouldn't really have been in the position we were in. If Tuchel had been here from the start of the season and we fallen to 9th under his watch and then bounced back to squeeze into 4th, I certainly wouldn't be singing his praises, but there was a reason we were down in 9th. In the end, you're right I think we're arguing over semantics. We both think he's done well, yes?

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
Get rid pf Azpi and Jorginho next?

Dominos

It might be worth remembering every team is reliant on others dropping points. To be garaunteed to win the league you need 112 points, otherwise you're relying on other teams dropping points in games that are out of your control.

This season United have relied on our competition to drop 40+ points to allow us to finish top 4. Does that mean we're lucky or undeserving because we relied on other team's results to get the CL spot? Of course not, that's part of the game. He took over in a bad position, and he got the job done.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
That is the context I was speaking of. It really is not 200m over one window. With the transfer ban and not being able to sign anyone, it is 200m over two transfer windows, which is pretty average for a top 4 club.
Hang on ...did you spend over £220m in one transfer window or not?
That's the context. Don't forget you brought In a player during your ban!!

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Yeah the quality in the team is obvious and we shouldn't really have been in the position we were in. If Tuchel had been here from the start of the season and we fallen to 9th under his watch and then bounced back to squeeze into 4th, I certainly wouldn't be singing his praises, but there was a reason we were down in 9th. In the end, you're right I think we're arguing over semantics. We both think he's done well, yes?
Of course, he's done well as is expected from a manager of his credentials. Not yet extraordinary though, and in the PL he has a lot to figure out.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
We had a ban where we bought no players.

Pulisic was bought in the January transfer window and loaned back to Dortmund for the remainder of the season. He was not a part of the transfer ban.

Last edited:

Suedesi

Got lucky in the end, but to be fair to Chelsea every game since March has been a final and you can't simply win them all.

He's clearly much much better than Frank Lampard, let's see if he can beat Pep in the final.

City's first vs Chelsea's second it will suck next Sat no matter what - may the better team win.

TheReligion

Abusive
Yeah they spent 60+m on Pulisic and had the Kovacic loan I think during the ban.

Anyway whatever way the fans play it they have spent a hell of alot of money on this squad and should be doing much better. They often get praise for their transfer set up but the expensive dross seems to slip under the radar ala Drinkwater, Emerson, Batsuhayi, Higuain, Morata, Bakayoko...

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Of course, he's done well as is expected from a manager of his credentials. Not yet extraordinary though, and in the PL he has a lot to figure out.
Yeah I wouldn't call it extraordinary. If certainly feels a bit flat securing top4 with a loss, but overall I'm very happy with Tuchel's performance.

Mark_Barca

Supports
Barcelona
It might be worth remembering every team is reliant on others dropping points. To be garaunteed to win the league you need 112 points, otherwise you're relying on other teams dropping points in games that are out of your control.

This season United have relied on our competition to drop 40+ points to allow us to finish top 4. Does that mean we're lucky or undeserving because we relied on other team's results to get the CL spot? Of course not, that's part of the game. He took over in a bad position, and he got the job done.
It might also be worth remembering that teams dropping points over a whole season and collapsing late on is a completely different aspect.

Leicester were 17th in the form table for the final 5 games, they dropped 11 points. They took 2 points more than Newcastle in the second half of the season.

If Tuchel had come in and went on this undefeated run or won a lot of games and dropped little points then he would deserve more credit, but 11 wins in 19 is nowhere near 'excellent'...

I can't hype a club or manager who had to rely on another team blowing it with 30 minutes to go in the league season after said club had collapsed in the second half of the season already.

cyberman

Chelsea looks to have been found out. They really need Tuchel to have a plan B next season to do anything.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Got lucky in the end, but to be fair to Chelsea every game since March has been a final and you can't simply win them all.

He's clearly much much better than Frank Lampard, let's see if he can beat Pep in the final.

City's first vs Chelsea's second it will suck next Sat no matter what - may the better team win.
It has certainly felt every game was a crucial must win game since March. We weren't just going to get to the end of the season without dropping silly points whilst competing on three fronts.

Words like 'found out' always get chucked around when someone new loses/draws a game or two.

cyberman

It has certainly felt every game was a crucial must win game since March. We weren't just going to get to the end of the season without dropping silly points whilst competing on three fronts.

Words like 'found out' always get chucked around when someone new loses/draws a game or two.
Youve lost 3 of last 4 to be fair. Your defensive shape has been solved imo

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Youve lost 3 of last 4 to be fair. Your defensive shape has been solved imo
We created enough to win two of those three games. Villa and Arsenal allowed us to create chances almost at will. If those losses means Tuchel has been found out then OK but I can't agree with that. It's been well established that we're one of the most creative and one of the least clinical teams in the league.

Bullhitter

Supports
Chelsea
I agree with you but your lot were saying there was no way Frank was getting sacked the week he got the bullet. Tuchel will be out of a job before the end of next season if Chelsea don't win the CL now. Spoiler, they won't.
You're making zero sense. Why would not winning the CL this season impact on his likelihood of getting sacked during next season?

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Tbf, i doubt many expected Chelsea to get into top 4 when he took over, but their form the last few weeks hasnt been good, and they kinda stumbled into top 4th by the end.

They better come up with something different for the final against City.

el3mel

Winning CL or not would have feck all to do with how the rest of his tenure will go. Di Matteo won CL and got sacked next season.

If he wins it and they have a shit start to next season he will be sacked. It's Chelsea.

Expecting Chelsea to sack a manager 2 years in charge is hardly a shocking prediction anyway.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Kovacic was already a Chelsea player on loan with a buy option. It is unaffected by transfer bans.

Both clubs agreed on an option to buy clause in the contract, something which the Blues have now taken up, with Chelsea allowed to sign Kovacic as it is seen as an extension of his contract, meaning it is not a fresh registration, which would not be allowed.Jul 1, 2019

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Winning CL or not would have feck all to do with how the rest of his tenure will go. Di Matteo won CL and got sacked next season.

If he wins it and they have a shit start to next season he will be sacked. It's Chelsea.

Expecting Chelsea to sack a manager 2 years in charge is hardly a shocking prediction anyway.
Two years as a Chelsea manager is a long tenure. Might be eligible for retirement money.

MU655

We drastically need to improve in front of goal. There's no getting away from that. It's nowhere near good enough to be profligate to that extent. We should really have paid for it with Europa League football but we got lucky.

We conceded a penalty and a kind of a flukey goal. Villa played well but I never felt they were particular threatening, but we were somehow 2-0 down despite defending really well. We were really solid again and I'm happy enough with that performance. I think if we play the same game 10 times we probably win it 8 times. I said something similar after the Arsenal game so clearly it's a reoccurring problem for us.

Anyway. Delighted to squeeze over the line. Nothing too remarkable in the end. We did just enough. We need to be better in the scoring department by a lot next season.
I think Chelsea are sorted defensively, and in midfield. They just can seem blunt in games, and it does end up costing them.

I think they have spent about £170m on the front line, but it doesn't look to be a great investment so far.

Werner is the only one who looks like he could be useful, if he stops getting caught offside. But the others seem a bit non-existent in terms of threat.

I think this is what some people are missing, judging by the latest comments. Despite actually creating quite a lot of chances, their goalscoring isn't matching up to it. I think Tuchel has done a good job, but this has cost him.

I think if you sign a prolific striker, and a right winger, Chelsea will be able to challenge for the league title. I think they will be very hard to stop.

crossy1686

career ending
You're making zero sense. Why would not winning the CL this season impact on his likelihood of getting sacked during next season?
It probably won't, he'll be sacked before the end of next season regardless, after falling out with the management (which is what he's done everywhere he's been).

I'm not sure why thinking Chelsea sacking a manager that has done well in the past is a controversial opinion all of a sudden, like it's never happened before, and yet I'm the one that's not making sense?

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Avram Grant was sacked for losing the league on the final day and losing the CL because his captain slipped while taking a penalty. No one cares if Avram or the tea lady were actually responsible for tactics back then, fact is he got sacked and wasn’t even given the chance to start the following season.
So thinking Tuchel can get the sack during next season is hardly surprising and Roman is the last person to care about some imaginary xG trophy. He cares about the actual results.

Bullhitter

Supports
Chelsea
It probably won't, he'll be sacked before the end of next season regardless, after falling out with the management (which is what he's done everywhere he's been).

I'm not sure why thinking Chelsea sacking a manager that has done well in the past is a controversial opinion all of a sudden, like it's never happened before, and yet I'm the one that's not making sense?
You said he'd be sacked during next season if he doesn't win the CL this season, that makes zero sense.

Now saying he'll be sacked if he falls out with his higher ups makes some sense but so does saying manager "x" will be sacked next season if his team loses 12 games in a row. But it kind of doesn't need saying you know?

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Think his primary objective of securing CL football, when he was appointed, was achieved. Winning a cup was probably a bonus (though losing the FA cup final must have been disappointing)- winning the CL would be a massive bonus.

crossy1686

career ending
You said he'd be sacked during next season if he doesn't win the CL this season, that makes zero sense.

Now saying he'll be sacked if he falls out with his higher ups makes some sense but so does saying manager "x" will be sacked next season if his team loses 12 games in a row. But it kind of doesn't need saying you know?
You're presuming I'm saying something hypothetically, like if this happens then that will certainly happen etc so I'll rephrase.

Tuchel will get the sack before the end of next season, for whatever reason, he will be gone.

My original post was made when Chelsea were looking like they were going to finish 5th, so the CL would have been absolutely necessary for him to not start the season on borrowed time.

Bullhitter

Supports
Chelsea
You're presuming I'm saying something hypothetically, like if this happens then that will certainly happen etc so I'll rephrase.

Tuchel will get the sack before the end of next season, for whatever reason, he will be gone.

My original post was made when Chelsea were looking like they were going to finish 5th, so the CL would have been absolutely necessary for him to not start the season on borrowed time.
Ok better now you've rephrased but i disagree. He'll be given a new contract soon after the CL final irrespective of the result and with a pre season with this squad will be in zero danger of the sack next season.

crossy1686

career ending
Ok better now you've rephrased but i disagree. He'll be given a new contract soon after the CL final irrespective of the result and with a pre season with this squad will be in zero danger of the sack next season.
I mean, I completely agree with you, what you're saying is logical and makes perfect sense, but Roman is fecking nuts and you've sacked better managers for less.

Bullhitter

Supports
Chelsea
I mean, I completely agree with you, what you're saying is logical and makes perfect sense, but Roman is fecking nuts and you've sacked better managers for less.
Not recently I don't think. I think the Chelsea manager narrative is about 5-6 years behind real time. Far from trigger shy but certainly no longer as trigger happy as made out.

crossy1686

career ending
Not recently I don't think. I think the Chelsea manager narrative is about 5-6 years behind real time. Far from trigger shy but certainly no longer as trigger happy as made out.
I'd partially agree with that. I think under Frank it was always a work in progress where previously the team was great and not winning the title was a sackable offence. It all depends how good Roman thinks the current squad is, if he feels they should be challenging this year, based on what was spent last summer and what will be spent this summer, we all know what will happen come Christmas time if Chelsea are some distance off the top.

Bullhitter

Supports
Chelsea
I'd partially agree with that. I think under Frank it was always a work in progress where previously the team was great and not winning the title was a sackable offence. It all depends how good Roman thinks the current squad is, if he feels they should be challenging this year, based on what was spent last summer and what will be spent this summer, we all know what will happen come Christmas time if Chelsea are some distance off the top.
i think it's moved from titles being expected to now the expectation is to compete for titles with regular CL football being the minimum. Whereas say the impression from the Glazers is that CL football is the expectation and if competing arrives as a consequence then fine.

Then you take another step down to Spurs and Arsenal where CL football is the goal not the expectation.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
@duffer I remember last week you saying no Chelsea fan was saying Tuchel's position would be under threat at all if you didn't make top 4.

Just had a look at Chelsea forum to see what oppo were saying about the match yesterday and quite a few on this forum aren't hugely impressed with him so far:

http://forums.cfcnet.co.uk/topic/57553-aston-villa-2-chelsea-1/?page=44
I can't see anyone on that page you linked saying his job was under threat.

Do some Chelsea fans not rate Tuchel? Sure, I don't ever remember saying otherwise.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
@duffer I remember last week you saying no Chelsea fan was saying Tuchel's position would be under threat at all if you didn't make top 4.

Just had a look at Chelsea forum to see what oppo were saying about the match yesterday and quite a few on this forum aren't hugely impressed with him so far:

Some fans are too far gone in their determination to take their anger on Lampard's sacking out on him.

He could win on Saturday and follow it up with the league next year and even that won't be enough for many.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
There are definitely some Lampard loyalists out there that have never accepted Tuchel. There are others who have reluctantly come onboard after Tuchel began turning the season around, but it usually doesn't take too much get them to turn on him. They seem like a loud minority more than anything though.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Only Brighton have underperformed their xG more than Chelsea this season.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea

I have never been active on that forum. It is interesting that their headers on Matchday and several other categories still have a picture of Frank Lampard. I don't think the administrators have moved on. :lol: