Chelsea are now the most successful PL club since Roman bought them

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Not that I disagree with your assessment, but I doubt even a few months ago many people on a Manchester United forum would have categorised the Europa League as a major trophy ahead of the FA Cup.
Neither have I, mate.

I have categorized the League and the CL as major trophies and put the rest under 'Cups'.

For me Europa is no better than the league cup; which has only increased in value a little because winning it comes with CL qualification now.

peridigm

Can't be bothered to check myself so maybe one of you United fans that follow Chelsea can tell me, how many of those trophys came from Jose? How many different managers did it take for them to win their success? Apart from LVG's FA Cup, our trophys came from one man. Feck Chelsea.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
I wrote an article for Fancast a while back on the fallacy of managerial stability (this was during the Moyes era, so I was pushing an angle) and a large component of it was the fact that Chelsea's oft-ridiculed managerial carousel has actually been hugely successful, by almost every metric.
That is a very good point.

As we have seen at both a money club (Chlesea) and a traditional "X way" club (Barca), changing managers constantly is not as big of a hindrance to success as we United fans make it out to be. What is important is a proper structure at the club where a manager is the final piece of the jigsaw, not the be all and end all. We cannot have 500m squad makeovers every time a new manager comes and needs his players before he can have us challenge.

The last two managers were a disaster. The first one wanted 6 WC players before we could challenge and the next one couldn't even challenge after bringing in 13 new players during his reign. Now we want to change those players again, which is understandable because we bought players to fit in a manager's philosophy, not the club's.

I am more comfortable with Jose adding players because he is good at identifying the needs of the squad and being a pragmatist is not a slave to a particular individual philosophy. Though, this will be a good time to finally get a structure in place that allows us to have smoother transitions than we have witnessed in the last four years. In the post Fergie era where there will be a managerial carousel, we need a structure which can bring about continuous success in unison with future managers without too much disruption.

Home&Away

That is a very good point.

As we have seen at both a money club (Chlesea) and a traditional "X way" club (Barca), changing managers constantly is not as big of a hindrance to success as we United fans make it out to be. What is important is a proper structure at the club where a manager is the final piece of the jigsaw, not the be all and end all. We cannot have 500m squad makeovers every time a new manager comes and needs his players before he can have us challenge.

The last two managers were a disaster. The first one wanted 6 WC players before we could challenge and the next one couldn't even challenge after bringing in 13 new players during his reign. Now we want to change those players again, which is understandable because we bought players to fit in a manager's philosophy, not the club's.

I am more comfortable with Jose adding players because he is good at identifying the needs of the squad and being a pragmatist is not a slave to a particular individual philosophy. Though, this will be a good time to finally get a structure in place that allows us to have smoother transitions than we have witnessed in the last four years. In the post Fergie era where there will be a managerial carousel, we need a structure which can bring about continuous success in unison with future managers without too much disruption.
Barcelona can change manager because they know how to retain possession - the game is literally at their feet and can execute managers tactics as long as the manager abides by Barcelona' strengths. There success has nothing to do with firing managers and getting new ones in my opinion. You have Rijkaard, Pep, Enrique, vilanova all gathered success ever since they started appreciating possesion and yet maybe only one is a top tier manager. It would be idiotic for a manager to change such a ethos of a great club.

Chelsea fluctuate up and down & In my opinion benefit from abramohovic's love/interest for his club more than anything else. Though I'm in no position to doubt tactics of a billionaire like roman - a club especially like ours have to have do things with a degree of continuity.

Its a bit weird talking about it now whilst we aren't winning much but - it isn't purely just the success that made our club this big; it was the continuity and consistency of success. PL is improved a great deal - but I see no reason why we should just aim lower, let go of history and ethics to become just like anybody else.

cheeky_backheel

Barcelona can change manager because they know how to retain possession - the game is literally at their feet and can execute managers tactics as long as the manager abides by Barcelona' strengths. There success has nothing to do with firing managers and getting new ones in my opinion. You have Rijkaard, Pep, Enrique, vilanova all gathered success ever since they started appreciating possesion and yet maybe only one is a top tier manager. It would be idiotic for a manager to change such a ethos of a great club.

Chelsea fluctuate up and down & In my opinion benefit from abramohovic's love/interest for his club more than anything else. Though I'm in no position to doubt tactics of a billionaire like roman - a club especially like ours have to have do things with a degree of continuity.

Its a bit weird talking about it now whilst we aren't winning much but - it isn't purely just the success that made our club this big; it was the continuity and consistency of success. PL is improved a great deal - but I see no reason why we should just aim lower, let go of history and ethics to become just like anybody else.
Barcelona have peen successful recently because of having a strong core of player (Messi, Xavi, Iniesta and Puyol/Pique) to build the team around and has nothing to do with their possession approach to the game (which they have adhered to, particularly at the youth level, since Rinus Michels brought Total Football to Barcelona in the 1970s). They had both successful spells and barren ones, but like at most clubs, for all the pressure managers get, success still depend mainly on the quality of players at your disposal. The performance of said coaches outside of Barcelona is evidence of this, as none of Rijkaard, Pep and Enrique have delivered anything close to that level of success outside of Barcelona

One of the reasons that SAF was successful and other mangers struggled more was his position of unquestioned authority. The players wield so much power in the modern game, that is becoming more common to see players clearly not doing their best to the detriment of the manager e.g. several coaches at Madrid, Mou at Chelsea and Ranieri at Leceister. Those managers have not stopped being good managers overnight. With SAF, player knew that they would be the one leaving the club and I think that set down the right environment for success.

Changing coaches in of itself is not the best, but the willingness to sack underperforming coaches does keep everyone on their toes. But that must be balanced with the giving the coach the environment, resources, and time to deliver. Also the club itself must have a vision and hire coaches who can help work towards that vision.

Sereques

Why the thread?

Because I am petty and these things matter to me. Despite Chelsea having won more trophies than us in the last 12 years, I considered us more successful because we had more major honors than they did. A PL trophy for me is worth more than 10 FA cups. But now that they have matched our league trophy total, I don't like it and want it to be an extra motivation towards our winning the league next year. We can't be behind these..
You gave yourself an imaginary landmark of zero importance and then conclude they have matched us. Very strange.

El cangrejo

Supports
FC Luzern
Can't be bothered to check myself so maybe one of you United fans that follow Chelsea can tell me, how many of those trophys came from Jose? How many different managers did it take for them to win their success? Apart from LVG's FA Cup, our trophys came from one man. Feck Chelsea.
2004-05, 2005-06, 2013-14 Premier League; 2005, 2007, 2014 EFL Cup, 2007 FA Cup: José Mourinho

2008-09 FA Cup: Guus Hiddink

2009-10 Premier League, 2010 FA Cup: Carlo Ancelotti

2011-12 Champions League, 2012 FA Cup: Roberto Di Matteo

2012-13 Europa League: Rafael Benítez

2016-17 Premier League: Antonio Conte

I don't really understand what the point of this is? Do trophies count for more if they're won by only one manager? If anything it shows that Chelsea has a more sustainable model that isn't reliant on one man.

El cangrejo

Supports
FC Luzern
You gave yourself an imaginary landmark of zero importance and then conclude they have matched us. Very strange.
Of zero importance? Abramovich buying Chelsea was one of the watershed moments in football history.

Whiteside1985

Pointless thread. Draw an arbitrary line at some random year to prove a point, or not.

Far more important stat: Chelsea have 6 titles in their history, United have 20.

El cangrejo

Supports
FC Luzern
Turned England into a genuine destination for world stars in their peak years; brought about the big 4 era in which the PL started its domination as the most popular league worldwide, leading to the situation now where the revenues of even mediocre English clubs outstrips those of giants like Ajax; created a path followed by City, PSG etc which have upset the old order of European football, led to the creation of FFP.

In terms of English football, Abramovich's takeover and the creation of the PL have been the two most seismic changes of at least the last 50 years.

BigTimeCharlie

I see what you did you there, but unfortunately it wasn't as clever as you thought.

Roman's purchase of Chelsea was a watershed moment in the premier league. First time such a major investment was poured into a PL club by a foreign owner. A lot changed in the PL after that.
Not really at all. Rupert Murdoch wanted to BUY united back in the 90's but was blocked due to the monopoly in thr English game from United.*

Having said that, Glazers in charge of United have been more successful than Abramovic in charge of chelsea. Both on and off the pitch.

Even if we play by *your* rules, you have conveniently left off the world club cup and the fa cup for United.

salford_

The argument about buying success is so daft, i cant even comprehend it. name me a club who won something spending zilch

notcool

Supports
a
Draw an arbitrary line at some random year to prove a point, or not.
It's not arbitrary. Abramovich taking over was the point when they became actual rivals. Makes sense to compare them to us in that time period. That's the Chelsea we have to face, not the pre-Abramovich one.

cheeky_backheel

Turned England into a genuine destination for world stars in their peak years; brought about the big 4 era in which the PL started its domination as the most popular league worldwide, leading to the situation now where the revenues of even mediocre English clubs outstrips those of giants like Ajax; created a path followed by City, PSG etc which have upset the old order of European football, led to the creation of FFP.

In terms of English football, Abramovich's takeover and the creation of the PL have been the two most seismic changes of at least the last 50 years.
1. Stars were coming to the PL well before Abrahimovic e.g. Cantona, veron, Ginola, Zola etc
2. He didnt bring about the big 4 era. It was Mourinho that brought about the big 3 era. Liverpool were rarely credible title challenger back then and even now. The big 4 era started when Man city became a title contender and won their first championship.
3. PL started its popularity domination in the 1990s as they were the first league to truly commercialize the game both at the league level with TV rights and at the club level with United being the leading example
4. He was probably the richest man to take over a premier league club wen he did, but he wasnt the first rich owner in europe. If any at all, Berlusconi was the archetype football godfather+sugar daddy wielding both his financial and political influence to the benefit of the Rossoneri. The FFP and similar changes to the qualifications and revenue distribution of the CL are a reflection of UEFA succumbing to the pressure from the G14 clubs who would like to keep all the money for themselves. It has been an ongoing battle since the 1990s (as football became more profitable) but I agree that the potential threat of sugar daddy clubs added to it.

Roman's acquisition of Chelsea has influenced the evolution of the premier league, but so did the downfall of leeds. I wouldnt go as far as to call it a watershed moment.

D2Z

Supports
Undercover "Chelsea fan" ;)
And they would have been 100% accurate.

Thankfully, we knocked them off that perch.
By that mentality and way its been going since Roman Abramovic and the retirement of SirAF, its our time to be knocked off the perch by Chelsea.

Roman is to Chelsea what Sir AF was to us.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Think there's a typo in the headline, it should be:

Chelsea are now the most successful PL club since Roman bought it

Fridge chutney

I don't like Chelsea winning. But I don't mind that they act as a buffer to City or Liverpool winning either. That said, Liverpool are their own best buffer to winning these days.

FujiVice

world club championship? really? a glorified friendly
You're thinking of the Intercontinental Cup in 1999. The world club championship was in 2008 during the season and we had to win a mini-tournament. If Barca count it as a major trophy, so can we.

The Outsider

Supports
Chelsea
By that mentality and way its been going since Roman Abramovic and the retirement of SirAF, its our time to be knocked off the perch by Chelsea.

Roman is to Chelsea what Sir AF was to us.
Not quite, Roman is no longer the richest (not for a few years now) and SAF was the best (some may disagree though).

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Not that I disagree with your assessment, but I doubt even a few months ago many people on a Manchester United forum would have categorised the Europa League as a major trophy ahead of the FA Cup.
Counting them the same is fine but I'd consider the EL the bigger trophy without a doubt. Much harder to win, better teams in it, better prize.

AXVnee7

Well, fingers crossed we win the Europa League so we can match them at worst in major trophy gain this season.

Green_Red

Incredible that United and Chelsea have won 10 leagues between them since 2004. 2 to City and 1 to Leicester.

BocaJuniors

Barcelona or AC milan havent won the UEFA cup/Europa league, you dont see them dying to win the thing.

Unfortunately, Chlesea have beaten us to another milestone; "the European treble". http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/news/newsid=1947872.html
Juve, Ajax, Bayern and most recently Chelsea have already won all the three European cups; CL, EL and cup winners' cup (the latter was discontinued).

Many people here look at EL as merely our ticket to CL. Yes CL is important for the club, because of its direct financial rewards from UEFA, and indirect financial rewards from sponsors. It's also crucial for the club image and its superstar appeal.

But EL is stil a major (yes major) trophy we need to win sooner or later. We'd better win it now at one of our lowest points, than waste a European season trying to win it while we're back on top again.

bleedred

Yeah, but you need to take out Jose's winnings with them and transfer it to us, cause he is with us now...:p

Sterling Archer

Let's compare Abramovich sponsored versus Spanish bank sponsored success:

REAL Madrid

La Liga x3
'07 '08 '12

Champions League x2
'14 '16

Copa del Rey x2
'11 '14

Spanish Supercup x2
'08 '12

Major Trophies 5 (plus 2 depending on this season)

Cups 4

Oooh juicy. Which fan would you guys wanna be? A Madrid or Chelsea? This is the best way to choose right?

*smh*

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
I don't get how anyone can see the FA cup as a major trophy. Must be a British thing.
Not saying it's a nothing trophy, as i don't see any proper trophies as nothing trophies...
Just don't see any national cup competitions as major ones.