Chelsea are now the most successful PL club since Roman bought them

Whiteside1985

By that mentality and way its been going since Roman Abramovic and the retirement of SirAF, its our time to be knocked off the perch by Chelsea.

Roman is to Chelsea what Sir AF was to us.
They'll need 14 more titles to catch up. Don't hold your breath on that one.

<<<Waits for the thread concerned that Leicester have won more titles than us since 2016......

Last edited:

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
I'm with this. I just don't care. If you told me Chelsea are on the verge of winning something big and we aren't in the race I'm fine with it and that says it all. If it was Liverpool or City I'd be shitting it and hate the World for a while. Even Arsenal would get me worked up a bit but just couldn't give a toss about Chelsea.
My girlfriend found your username hilarious.

Sunspear17

Supports
Chelsea
Hate this types of threads, go post it on a Chelsea forum and wank off there.
I dislike these thread because they always end up as dick swinging contests and comparing clubs achievements. As a Chelsea fan I realise we're not as successful as Man Utd. We may be successful since Roman took over, but we still got a way to go to reach Utd, and we may never do it as Utd will be winning things again soon.

Sunspear17

Supports
Chelsea
Hate this types of threads, go post it on a Chelsea forum and wank off there.
I dislike these thread because they always end up as dick swinging contests and comparing clubs achievements. As a Chelsea fan I realise we're not as successful as Man Utd. We may be successful since Roman took over, but we still got a way to go to reach Utd, and we may never do it as Utd will be winning things again soon.

El cangrejo

Supports
FC Luzern
1. Stars were coming to the PL well before Abrahimovic e.g. Cantona, veron, Ginola, Zola etc
2. He didnt bring about the big 4 era. It was Mourinho that brought about the big 3 era. Liverpool were rarely credible title challenger back then and even now. The big 4 era started when Man city became a title contender and won their first championship.
3. PL started its popularity domination in the 1990s as they were the first league to truly commercialize the game both at the league level with TV rights and at the club level with United being the leading example
4. He was probably the richest man to take over a premier league club wen he did, but he wasnt the first rich owner in europe. If any at all, Berlusconi was the archetype football godfather+sugar daddy wielding both his financial and political influence to the benefit of the Rossoneri. The FFP and similar changes to the qualifications and revenue distribution of the CL are a reflection of UEFA succumbing to the pressure from the G14 clubs who would like to keep all the money for themselves. It has been an ongoing battle since the 1990s (as football became more profitable) but I agree that the potential threat of sugar daddy clubs added to it.

Roman's acquisition of Chelsea has influenced the evolution of the premier league, but so did the downfall of leeds. I wouldnt go as far as to call it a watershed moment.
1. Only Verón was a world class name at the time. In the nineties, the vast majority of the glamorous names coming from overseas were either rejects or ageing. Verón was a rare exception. It was only after 2003, that teams in England started to regularly challenge for the top tier foreign players at their peaks. They also ended United's monopoly on big money signings.

2. Do some research on what the Big 4 was. Nothing to do with City. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Premier_League#.22Big_Four.22_dominance_.282000s.29

3. It did start with the formation of the Premier League but it only took off as a huge international brand in the mid '00s. Manchester United may have been a huge worldwide brand due to their success in the '90s but the rest of the league was lagging way behind.

4. There are clear differences between Berlusconi's Milan and Abramovich's Chelsea though. Milan was already a world renowned former European Champion that was in a bad period, while Chelsea, while not a small team, was more of a blank slate. This is what has been followed by the Abu Dhabi United group and QSI, and later Red Bull. Berlusconi was still a local of Milan and a fan of the club, more comparable to Jack Walker at Blackburn. Abramovich started the trend of sugar daddies from overseas with no previous connection to the club building his own "dream team".

AshfordLad

3. It did start with the formation of the Premier League but it only took off as a huge international brand in the mid '00s. Manchester United may have been a huge worldwide brand due to their success in the '90s but the rest of the league was lagging way behind.
Not correct. In the mid to late 90s United, arsenal, Chelsea and even liverpool were among the top10 clubs with regards to revenues.

English football had not moved along (technique wise) but that did not mean the clubs were too far behind United financially. In some ways Wenger had done a huge service to the PL by bringing the continental touch to it.