Chelsea under Conte | Let's sign the next Hazard, literally.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Arsene Wenger believes football might have to “rethink the whole process” if clubs who do not dominate possession continue to succeed.

Following Leicester’s remarkable Premier League title victory last season, Chelsea are on the verge of winning their second top-flight crown in three years.

Both sides have adopted a counter-attacking style, with more possession-oriented sides such as Arsenal and Manchester City struggling in the meantime.

Wenger fears that this change in approach must be addressed as teams should be “encouraged” to play more.

“Over the last two seasons, teams who have not big possession have won the league,” Wenger said. “And, as well, teams who were not involved in Europe, at all, won the league. Because the league is so physically difficult, maybe it is very difficult to cope with both. We will see how Chelsea respond next season.

“Are teams who are not making the game doing well? Yes. When we analyse it in Geneva [at coaching conferences], we always analyse the Champions League and I must say, in some seasons, the team who had low possession won the Champions League. Over a longer period, it is the teams who have the most possession who win it.

“I still think sport has to encourage initiative and, if it rewards too much teams who don’t take initiative, then we have to rethink the whole process because people will not, forever, come to watch teams who do not want to take the initiative. The responsibility of people who make the rules is always to encourage teams who want to play, because that is what you want to see.

“I am convinced you still need to have the ball to create goal chances and that you cannot encourage, as well, youth teams to say: ‘We do not want the ball’,” Wenger said. “You cannot buy big players and say: ‘We do not want the ball’. Big players want the ball.”
http://www.football365.com/news/wenger-worried-chelsea-success-could-damage-football

:lol::lol::lol:

tomaldinho1

The Telegraph reported it would be £76M deal for Diego to Tianjin.

Let's have some calculations:
4 years ago we bought Lukaku for 18M => 18M investment
3 years ago we sold a young Lukaku for 28M and got Diego for 32M => 4M loss
Now we probably are going to sell Diego for 76M and pay the same amount to get a proven goal-scorer Lukaku back - 0M loss

So apparently with a net spent of 22M (= 18+4), we have had the service of a peak Diego for 3 years and a proven goal-scorer Lukaku next season. That's brilliant.
Much to learn have you.

Lukaku wages at Chelsea + agent fee + Diego wages + add ons + agent fee + Lukaku new bumper deal = huge net loss.

The above isn't meant to be literal but these are guys earning millions and millions a year. However Chelsea spin it I'm sure you'll have made a big loss but that's football.

AshfordLad

Much to learn have you.

Lukaku wages at Chelsea + agent fee + Diego wages + add ons + agent fee + Lukaku new bumper deal = huge net loss.

The above isn't meant to be literal but these are guys earning millions and millions a year. However Chelsea spin it I'm sure you'll have made a big loss but that's football.
What are you Arsenal fan or something. Pretty sure he meant just the transfer fees. Since that is how transfers get valued. Also, it is called "2 titles in 3 season" not "huge net loss"

Plus, Lukaku's wages have most likely always been covered by the loan clubs. Not to mention nearly £5-6m loan fees received by Chelsea.

D2Z

Supports
Undercover "Chelsea fan" ;)
Much to learn have you.

Lol wat?

tomaldinho1

What are you Arsenal fan or something. Pretty sure he meant just the transfer fees. Since that is how transfers get valued. Also, it is called "2 titles in 3 season" not "huge net loss"

Plus, Lukaku's wages have most likely always been covered by the loan clubs. Not to mention nearly £5-6m loan fees received by Chelsea.
Lol, luckily I am not.

I'm just talking about the original example which I think was wrong - not sure why you're widening it to Chelsea as a whole and including loan fees. On that note, I think Chelsea posted a net loss of £70.6m last year...

Basically - player wages make up a ridiculous amount of money and to look at 'net spend' you can't just add/subtract a transfer fee.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
Biggest needs are wing backs, strikers, and a CM for me. We have Aké and Christensen as cover at CB so I'm not sure a super expensive CB is a priority.

I really wish we would go all out for Verratti but can't see him leaving PSG yet.

cheeky_backheel

They did with Cech to Arsenal. Mourinho was dead against it.
IIRC Jose said Cech had done enough to choose his own destination

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...upports-decision-to-sell-petr-cech-to-arsenal

“I support the owner’s decision to honour the player in this way,” Mourinho said on the club’s website. “Petr has been a great servant for Chelsea for 11 years and helped this club to win almost everything there is to win. I always said I wanted him to stay but I understand Petr needed to move on to play first-team football every week.
“Sometimes you have to respect the wishes of someone who has earned so much respect with his service and actions for your club. It is very rare in football to make a decision like this and for that reason I am proud of my club for making it. There are not many clubs in the world big enough to be able to make that decision. Petr’s success at this club will always to be remembered and we thank him for everything he did.”

D2Z

Supports
Biggest needs are wing backs, strikers, and a CM for me. We have Aké and Christensen as cover at CB so I'm not sure a super expensive CB is a priority.

I really wish we would go all out for Verratti but can't see him leaving PSG yet.
Ill take Alonso. Thanks.

Claude Makélélé

Lol, luckily I am not.

I'm just talking about the original example which I think was wrong - not sure why you're widening it to Chelsea as a whole and including loan fees. On that note, I think Chelsea posted a net loss of £70.6m last year...

Basically - player wages make up a ridiculous amount of money and to look at 'net spend' you can't just add/subtract a transfer fee.
Do you know why we lost 70.6M last year? It is because we paid around 40M for the sack of Jose and another 40M for terminating Adidas contract (to go for Nike contract which worths double of Adidas contract starting from next season). So basically, without those exceptional fees we would even have had in a small profit last year, despite of being 10th in the league.

Much to learn have you.

Lukaku wages at Chelsea + agent fee + Diego wages + add ons + agent fee + Lukaku new bumper deal
= huge net loss.

Lukaku loan fee, players' image rights, shirt sales, AND 2 titles in 3 years with Costa being one of the most in influential players in the pitch.

Claude Makélélé

Costa would be on my upgrade list regardless if he was leaving for China or not. Also if we bought a backup for the likes of Moses, Alonso, Cahill etc. they would be useless players like Dijlobodji and Baba.

Only logical way is to upgrade these players and make the current ones backup.
Fair enough. I like that logic :D

tomaldinho1

Do you know why we lost 70.6M last year? It is because we paid around 40M for the sack of Jose and another 40M for terminating Adidas contract (to go for Nike contract which worths double of Adidas contract starting from next season). So basically, without those exceptional fees we would even have had in a small profit last year, despite of being 10th in the league.

Originally we were just talking about the transfer fees - then someone widened it to Chelsea as a whole so I pointed out you had made a loss. Doesn't matter why it came about, it's accurate to point out the net loss.

Lukaku loan fee, players' image rights, shirt sales, AND 2 titles in 3 years with Costa being one of the most in influential players in the pitch.
This is irrelevant...as mentioned, my example wasn't literal. Anyway, given pretty much all the PL clubs are in debt there's clearly an almost infinite list of outgoing costs for running a football club that outweigh the incoming ones.

Claude Makélélé

This is irrelevant...as mentioned, my example wasn't literal. Anyway, given pretty much all the PL clubs are in debt there's clearly an almost infinite list of outgoing costs for running a football club that outweigh the incoming ones.
It is relevant because Lukaku and Costa transfers are noway related to 70.6M we lost last year (2016) as I have figured out above. Also, we lost only 5M for 2014 and 2015 collectively. Chelsea's business is improving and it is not as bad as people though.

The irrelevant thing is that you count extra fees like agent fee, salaries, add on and so on ... - which every football clubs have to pay for their players - but ignore what Chelsea have gained with them, specially in the period that we are probably going to win 2 titles in 3 years with Diego the main striker.

AshfordLad

We should get Michail Antonio for RWB and Rodriguez or Bertrand for LWB (though bertrand will not be much of an improvement on Alonso).

I getting Verratti means we cant but a CB its fine but in any other scenario we should buy VanDijk as he is awesome.

I am not worried about replacing the striker. With the costa money we should be able to secure one of Lukaku/Morata/Icardi/Bellotti/Aubamayang and have some spare change left.

Theafonis

In love with @Eboue
Supports
Chelsea
We should get Michail Antonio for RWB and Rodriguez or Bertrand for LWB (though bertrand will not be much of an improvement on Alonso).

I getting Verratti means we cant but a CB its fine but in any other scenario we should buy VanDijk as he is awesome.

I am not worried about replacing the striker. With the costa money we should be able to secure one of Lukaku/Morata/Icardi/Bellotti/Aubamayang and have some spare change left.
Couldn't we just recall Baba? He's been decent back at Augsburg.

Imagine signing Aubamayang :drool:

D2Z

Supports
I would like to see a clear upgrade over Alonso. That said, club will surely be inclined to do what you are saying.
Id say Alonso is in your top 3 performing players over the season. I dont think he needs replacing at all...

AshfordLad

Id say Alonso is in your top 3 performing players over the season. I dont think he needs replacing at all...
He invites a lot of pressure from good teams and also precludes all back 4 formations. Something we might well need in the CL next season.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Nah, I can think of at least 7-8 others who have had a better season. He's been excellent at times, and a bit of a liability at others.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I wouldn't say top 3 but probably top 5. Maybe something like Hazard-Kante-Luiz-Pedro-Alonso?

He's an absolutely vital cog for the system and he's the main outlet whenever the team is under pressure. His height is a major asset-in the past Ivanovic would always be available for flickons from goal kicks, now it's Alonso. His stamina is also through the roof; he's rarely caught out of position.

Granted, his defending can be dodgy at times, especially against pacy wingers, but for the most part I think he's been excellent. He seems to be our best direct free kick taker as well now.

tomaldinho1

It is relevant because Lukaku and Costa transfers are noway related to 70.6M we lost last year (2016) as I have figured out above. Also, we lost only 5M for 2014 and 2015 collectively. Chelsea's business is improving and it is not as bad as people though.

The irrelevant thing is that you count extra fees like agent fee, salaries, add on and so on ... - which every football clubs have to pay for their players - but ignore what Chelsea have gained with them, specially in the period that we are probably going to win 2 titles in 3 years with Diego the main striker.
Please just go back and read original reply. It is irrelevant. It was pretty clear that wasn't meant to be literal - I was making clear that you can't just add/subtract transfer fees to understand profit/loss.

No doubting Chelsea as a business though. You're laughing because you are like £1b+ in debt but it's to Abramovich so I guess not really debt?

AshfordLad

No doubting Chelsea as a business though. You're laughing because you are like £1b+ in debt but it's to Abramovich so I guess not really debt?
It is a debt but it does not matter since the assets in the company far exceeds the debt.

He has made a fair bit of money from purchase of the club.

Last edited:

Claude Makélélé

Please just go back and read original reply. It is irrelevant. It was pretty clear that wasn't meant to be literal - I was making clear that you can't just add/subtract transfer fees to understand profit/loss.

22M = 3 years peak Costa's services + Lukaku => This is the equation in terms of transfer fee, which is the basic thing we are discussing here in this forum for most transfers. That is the money spent so that we get them.

Then when he is already at the club: if on one side, you want to add salaries, adds on and so on - on another side, you have to consider what are the things that the club have gained from him. For Costa, he has been the main striker in a squad that is going to win 2 titles in 3 years. The club gains money and reputation from those achievements.

I am not laughing. But we are more and less living with our own revenue. A lot of people think this club is still taking money from Roman's bank to fund for our transfers and activities but during the last couple of years it doesn't happen.

Womp

idiot
I know it's a bit out of nowhere, but any news on why he recalled Ake? Was having a great season at Bournemouth and looked to be developing his game well, got recalled and has barely had a sniff?

Jacko21

Conte linked with Inter again, doubt he goes though
No chance. Huge money will be spent this summer on both players and Conte himself. Hopefully nice and early like the Costa/Cesc summer a couple of years ago.
Not sure it's as unlikely as some think.

Conte has not sounded convicing re the subject and with what's going on behind the scenes at Chelsea, he could be tempted.

Inter have the resources, they've hired Walter Sabatini (Conte ally) and are willing to pay him handsomely.

And crucially, Conte's family have remained (and are likely to remain) in Italy. More than a few sources suggesting this could play a part in his decision.

AshfordLad

I know it's a bit out of nowhere, but any news on why he recalled Ake? Was having a great season at Bournemouth and looked to be developing his game well, got recalled and has barely had a sniff?
Alonso was injured and had no one as backup so the club went out and recalled Ake I would guess.

It is true that Conte does not want to play the likes of Ake and Chalobah too much. That said, the club are no where near stupid enough to let him go for this reason.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Was brought back as cover in case Alonso or any of the back 3 got injured. They didn't get injured.

AXVnee7

Congratulations Chelsea... Well deserved. By far the best team of the season.

Enjoy it while you can! Next season we're coming for you ;)

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
Didn't look any better than us tonight. They've just had better finishers up front.

Congrats to them though.

B&Wandmore

Supports
juventus
there are a lot of rumours about Inter pressing Conte to hire him, being the useless leeches they are unable to develop their own talents both in and outside the pitch it is hardly surprising. I doubt Conte will leave already this year having way more possibilities and the CL with Chelsea than he would have with Milan's second team.
It will depend very much on the willingness of Chelsea board to give him more responsibility to get the players he needs. At juve he left because at Juve the club is always way more important than the managers and players, not sure at Chelsea.
At Inter it is exactly the other way around and he would most likely get more money and power, but he should know better than anybody else that he should be careful what he wishes for, his tutor Lippi made that mistake.

I think that he will stay and if given the players he needs will dominate next league too

Mister_Stubbs

Huge praise by all in the media for Conte and rightly so, winning the league title is an achievement whichever way you do it.

They don't seem to mention the fact they've had an clear run to the league compared to others who have played 10/15 games more than them. Conte has been allowed to settle quickly because they've had a full week to prepare from game to game.

Let's see how they cope with all the stresses next season where I'm sure the others will step their games up as well.

Maniwalde

Chelsea are likely to finish the season with 93 points, which would be the second highest ever Premier League point tally, just 2 points behind Mourinhho's 95 points in 2004/5.