Television Chernobyl (HBO/Sky drama series)

Heardy

Just watching episode 3. This programme is fantastic.

Those poor feckers that were first responders. I cannot imagine the agony they suffered.

Props to the make up / effects teams too - horrifying.

The Firestarter

Good grief, some of the radiation sickness victims shown...a lot of WW3 movies during the eighties didn't go there in order to not induce even bigger fear.

Giggs86

Greatest show of 2019? I say yes!

Do yourself a favor and listen to the director's podcast on Youtube which is around 45 minutes long and comes out after each episode.
Gives some extra insight about the stories behind the scenes etc. Amazing stuff.

Giggs86

Is this a complete dramatisation or does it splice real footage in?
Complete dramatisation, but they did reconstruct the locations down to every small detail and the whole thing feels really authentic. They do splice some real footage in as for example the 911 call after the explosion was the real recording.

diarm

Can't disagree with what has been said here, it's incredible, difficult, haunting and outstanding viewing. I've caught myself not breathing several times - easily the best thing I've watched in ages.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Christ, the newest episode was a tough, tough watch in parts. Those poor f*ckers.

Amazing show. Looks like next week's will be all about the liquidators.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
How can anyone survive to the point where your face melts off? Just horrific.

red4ever 79

Fantastic show. Watched the first three episodes then went back and watched the first two again, to take it all in. I recommend doing that. One of the best mini series I have ever seen.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
The miners digging on the nip :lol:

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Avoiding spoilers on this but generally speaking what is the plot for this? What’s aspects of the disaster are they covering and how much of it is fictional?

Big Andy

Bloke
Avoiding spoilers on this but generally speaking what is the plot for this? What’s aspects of the disaster are they covering and how much of it is fictional?
aftermath of the explosion...its all pretty factual, with stuff/characters either changed/created for dramatic purposes.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Pretty close to the facts, from what I've seen so far. They've done the usual things that get done in drama - combined certain characters, dropped some others. Some characters have back stories and families that are probably hybrids, to remind you it's about people.

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Pretty close to the facts, from what I've seen so far. They've done the usual things that get done in drama - combined certain characters, dropped some others. Some characters have back stories and families that are probably hybrids, to remind you it's about people.
I just finished listening to A Night in Chernobyl and have to say that this dramatisation is very factually accurate. Even this is a pretty harrowing account of Chernobyl, it's not really touched on how complicit the Russian Government were in playing down the incident to save face on the national stage.

Ian Reus

Ended 14 years of Grand National sweepstakes
I think we can all agree they didn't all speak English back then. Who really knows about all the rest of it though. Not much to make up when it happened.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Is this a complete dramatisation or does it splice real footage in?
I've watched the movie about the miners after the last episode and was a bit surprised when I saw the same shots of busses coming to Pripyat' and of the sign near the tunnel's entrance. They didn't use the original footage, but they reshot it almost identically. And this was only one documentary — I'd think that they've done it with a lot of sources.

I wasn't alive when it happened is the show relatively true to what happened or has anything been dramatised/ exaggerated? Some of the failings by some of the powerful people are scary and impacted so many lives.
The human interactions are dramatised and some characters are fictional (Khomyuk, for example, is a fictional character that personifies a lot of real nuclear scientist that worked on the project after the accident), but if we're talking about the Chernobyl accident itself and its potential catastrophic consequences, it's all pretty much spot on. Some scenes, like the miners ruining the government official's suit, are completely made up though.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
The miners digging on the nip :lol:
Speaking of fiction, this bit didn't happen — it comes from a misunderstood quote from one of the memoirs. Or, perhaps, they understood it but did it anyway for the dramatic purposes. The temperature was close to 50-60 degrees in there though and they took off their masks because it was impossible to work in them.

I'm surprised that they didn't mention another accident that I found out after digging further — the tunnel was, obviously, very small and there were miners who dug the ground and builders who fortified it, welded the pieces on a spot etc. And one of the miners literally took an axe and began smashing their hoses (that were used to supply the concrete in there) in frustration, as the builders interfered with the miners and made it impossible for them to finish their part of the job.

Carolina Red

Staff
So I've caught up in the past 12 hours and have watched all 3 episodes. This is one intense show.

The scenes in the hospital are just :( especially with the realization that alot of young firefighters with young families were killed or permanently crippled by something that they were kept in the dark about.

Vasily's wife going into the room so much with him though, just to drop that she's pregnant. My wife was freaking out about that.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Watched the first two last night. This is pretty gripping when you consider there is little action going on really.

bazalini

The Baz Man - He made us laugh 2000 - 2012

Do yourself a favor and listen to the director's podcast on Youtube which is around 45 minutes long and comes out after each episode.
Gives some extra insight about the stories behind the scenes etc. Amazing stuff.
Cheers for that. Must have a listen.

The whole series is scary biscuits

Coxy

Thanks for the tip - finding the first podcast fascinating - looking forward to the rest

Carolina Red

Staff
So this show has quietly made its way to being the highest rated show on IMDb.

This week’s episode was awesome. Had to battle my wife though to keep watching it because they kept shooting the animals. I literally shouted “Because they’re walking cancer bombs dammit!” when she asked for the 5th time why they had to shoot them.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Had to battle my wife though to keep watching it because they kept shooting the animals. I literally shouted “Because they’re walking cancer bombs dammit!” when she asked for the 5th time why they had to shoot them.
I would be insufferable to watch this with for an entirely different reason because as an engineer I’d constantly be asking for more scenes with the nuclear scientists talking about radiation, graphite, and reactor cores and how to fix it all with robots.

Guess I’d be on the opposite end of that spectrum of questioning, hah...

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
Maybe I’ll give this a go. How many episodes will there be in total? Surprised so many are saying it’s good, would have thought the subject matter would have turned most off.

Robbo's Shoulder

Supports
United and Barrow AFC
Watched the 1st 2 episodes last night, amazing stuff. I normally struggle to get into box sets so with only 5 episodes this is perfect for me.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I watched 1-3 over the weekend. Barring a few moments of black comedy (Stellan Skarsgård's character's bulldozer diplomacy has had me chuckling a few times) it's unrelentingly grim, and the depictions of the victims getting more and more ill reminded me of The Fly, where you're almost dreading returning to the apartment to see how bad the transformation has got. Despite being roughly familiar with the events they've done well to make everything feel fresh. I think showing Jared Harris's character's suicide early on has cleverly doubled down on the fact the story is relatively well-known, and has worked to add to the sense of selfless resignation in the character's actions without disengaging me from the plot.

It's great, sensitive about the terrible subject matter while working superbly as a drama.