Chess discussions

NM

Wow - that's very very cool. I was really into rapid and blitz chess for a good chunk of my life there but I've just not had the time recently. Probably haven't played more than a handful games since Covid. It's a real shame because the progress you make completely plummets when you aren't constantly remembering openings.
Correct. Without practice you can nosedive. I used to be 2K+ in classical.. Now I'm like 1700 and just shit at rapid and blitz.

SinNombre

This Ramesh fella the real deal then?
He is loved by Indian media for sure, but very good argument that he is not even a top-3 prospect from India and a worse prospect than at least 3 others.

Beating Magnus in online fast chess is not really indicative of OTB success.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
He is loved by Indian media for sure, but very good argument that he is not even a top-3 prospect from India and a worse prospect than at least 3 others.

Beating Magnus in online fast chess is not really indicative of OTB success.
Yup, Erigaisi and Gukesh have been better this past year, the last place could go to Pragg but it's not guaranteed. Then outside of India there is a handful of superior players. I don't think that he is guaranteed to reach top 5, it's not guranteed that he reaches top 15.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Mishra is playing excellent chess although still very young.
Pragu too has a bright future in front of him.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
I've played him in a simul. Fair to say he is going to be top 5. World champ is always hard to say.

And yes he beat me but I lasted 3rd longest out of the 20 he was playing and was level for the first 35 moves.
That's really good!
I drew in a simul against GM Alexander Zaitsev who at the time was trainer to Karpov.
Only one to survive out of 18 players.

Long time ago!!

JPRouve

Scout
I thought that it was an interesting video regarding ratings and how many players develop.

NM

Mishra is playing excellent chess although still very young.
Pragu too has a bright future in front of him.
I always wait to judge 12/13 year olds until they are at least 16 in chess... Lots of prodigies fall apart and don't make the step up.
I hope Mishra does well though.

SinNombre

Yup, Erigaisi and Gukesh have been better this past year, the last place could go to Pragg but it's not guaranteed. Then outside of India there is a handful of superior players. I don't think that he is guaranteed to reach top 5, it's not guranteed that he reaches top 15.
Anyone who is below 25 currently will be his contemporary.

Amongst those, Alireza and Duda are certainly top-5/10 level players and not going anywhere.

Keymer and Gukesh are almost certainly going to be 2750+ players.

Decent chance Wei Yi does a Ding Loren and becomes a steady 2750+ once he finishes his studies.

Likes of Ergaisi, Esipenko and Maghsoodloo also have shown more potential than Pragg of reaching steady 2750+ level.

And then you still have the likes of Niemann, Abdusattorov, Nihal, Sindarov who all have shown better results in OTB chess than Pragg.

NM

Anyone who is below 25 currently will be his contemporary.

Amongst those, Alireza and Duda are certainly top-5/10 level players and not going anywhere.

Keymer and Gukesh are almost certainly going to be 2750+ players.

Decent chance Wei Yi does a Ding Loren and becomes a steady 2750+ once he finishes his studies.

Likes of Ergaisi, Esipenko and Maghsoodloo also have shown more potential than Pragg of reaching steady 2750+ level.

And then you still have the likes of Niemann, Abdusattorov, Nihal, Sindarov who all have shown better results in OTB chess than Pragg.
From all the Indians I think Gukesh has the best potential. I think Nihal may end up a Nakamura. Rapid / Blitza all timer and great OTB. Erigasi, I'm not sure of. He plays some amazing chess, but sometimes I think he tilts and fails.
They will all end up better than Vidit though.
The impact Anand has had on Indian chess is amazing.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Do you chess lovers know of Agadmator on Youtube.
Excellent reviews of up to date chess games and other stuff.
If you don't know about his channel give it a try.

JPRouve

Scout
Do you chess lovers know of Agadmator on Youtube.
Excellent reviews of up to date chess games and other stuff.
If you don't know about his channel give it a try.
It's one of my regular channels alongside Hanging Pawns(focuses on openings), GMHikaru and GothamChess.

Last edited:

SinNombre

From all the Indians I think Gukesh has the best potential. I think Nihal may end up a Nakamura. Rapid / Blitza all timer and great OTB. Erigasi, I'm not sure of. He plays some amazing chess, but sometimes I think he tilts and fails.
They will all end up better than Vidit though.
The impact Anand has had on Indian chess is amazing.
Anyone hitting Nakamura level would have done stupendously well. Hikaru is a top-30 player of all time with all time controls considered. Nihal has been stuck at the 2650 level for a year and will do ridiculously well to become a 2750 in classical.

NM

Anyone hitting Nakamura level would have done stupendously well. Hikaru is a top-30 player of all time with all time controls considered. Nihal has been stuck at the 2650 level for a year and will do ridiculously well to become a 2750 in classical.
I meant a blitz / rapid legend and a strong classical player. Naka pretty much played blitz / rapid right now and his recent performance in classical has been a surprise (but a good one)

prateik

Pragg just beat Anish ..

Think he might already be on par with Vidit..

edit: he has his boards in 7 hrs :lol:
and then comes back and plays the finals.
wow

Luke1995

Looking to start watching chess. Who should I check out for the first time ?

I know, I know, it's always boring to get these questions if you has been following this world for a long time... but that's what ''the queen's gambit'' did to me :lol:

JPRouve

Scout

I know, I know, it's always boring to get these questions if you has been following this world for a long time... but that's what ''the queen's gambit'' did to me :lol:
The easiest is probably Eric Rosen, he is chill and easy for "beginners". But the best way is to watch tournaments with commentaries, there are games almost every day on Chess.com or Chess24 or their youtube channels. The best commentator is probably Danya Naroditsky, he also has channels on youtube and twitch but he isn't that easy to grasp if you are not already into chess, you can also look at Peter Leko and Jan Svidler when it comes to commentating.

For game recaps it's Gothamchess and Agadmator, they both recap and analyse games on daily basis.

Luke1995

The easiest is probably Eric Rosen, he is chill and easy for "beginners". But the best way is to watch tournaments with commentaries, there are games almost every day on Chess.com or Chess24 or their youtube channels. The best commentator is probably Danya Naroditsky, he also has channels on youtube and twitch but he isn't that easy to grasp if you are not already into chess, you can also look at Peter Leko and Jan Svidler when it comes to commentating.

For game recaps it's Gothamchess and Agadmator, they both recap and analyse games on daily basis.

Hi, thank you! i'm going to take a look at it. I've already read a little bit about the history of the game and the great historical players.

I guess chess probably is easier to understand than the likes of Poker.

17Larsson

Not a malefactor just a lagomorph
Hi, thank you! i'm going to take a look at it. I've already read a little bit about the history of the game and the great historical players.

I'm just about a year and a half ahead of you. I've been completely addicted since I started watching, playing, reading everything chess.
Get on chess.com, pay the €100 annual subscription and you won't look back (it's free also if you don't want to pay)

JPRouve

Scout

I know nothing about Poker but Chess is a tactical game that has a lot of theory attached to it, it's easy to understand the rules but it's not easy to understand the manipulations and theories, it would take years to understand certain openings inside-out.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
My advice would be to engross yourself for a half year or so. Stop once you hit around 1600 elo. At that point you will never lose a game for the rest of your life in the real world, going higher requires more time and effort than it's worth. I'd also say up until around 15/1600 you'll remember the playstyles like riding a bike. Higher than that and without playing semi regularly the knowledge just fritters away.

Luke1995

I'm just about a year and a half ahead of you. I've been completely addicted since I started watching, playing, reading everything chess.
Get on chess.com, pay the €100 annual subscription and you won't look back (it's free also if you don't want to pay)
Thanks for the idea and the words! Have you noticed if watching, playing and reading about chess have helped you in any way ?

I'm really needing something that can be fun but at the same time, very complex.

Luke1995

I know nothing about Poker but Chess is a tactical game that has a lot of theory attached to it, it's easy to understand the rules but it's not easy to understand the manipulations and theories, it would take years to understand certain openings inside-out.
Well, from what I know, Poker does have an element of luck. Chess is totally tactical then. A player will win or lose based only on their ability and mind strenght ?

17Larsson

Not a malefactor just a lagomorph
Thanks for the idea and the words! Have you noticed if watching, playing and reading about chess have helped you in any way ?

I'm really needing something that can be fun but at the same time, very complex.
Everything you do helps. I do puzzles and daily games on chess.com. When you're doing the puzzles don't worry about the time it takes you, take as long as you need to think it through.
Do some of the lessons as well, particularly the end games.

On youtube videos, John Bartholomew's 'climbing the rating ladder' is my favourite, he talks through games and explains all the moves and mistakes.

I joined a local chess club as well. Basically once you're enjoying it you'll learn loads

Luke1995

Everything you do helps. I do puzzles and daily games on chess.com. When you're doing the puzzles don't worry about the time it takes you, take as long as you need to think it through.
Do some of the lessons as well, particularly the end games.

On youtube videos, John Bartholomew's 'climbing the rating ladder' is my favourite, he talks through games and explains all the moves and mistakes.

I joined a local chess club as well. Basically once you're enjoying it you'll learn loads
Sure!

I played a couple matches on chess. com but lost them rather quickly. Still got no clue what i'm really doing but I guess playing several matches will help.

JPRouve

Scout
Vishy Anand is playing Carlsen and currently on top. He has been excellent for his comeback, easily top 10 and likely fairly high actual level.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Vishy Anand is playing Carlsen and currently on top. He has been excellent for his comeback, easily top 10 and likely fairly high actual level.
Anand Still going strong at 52 years old

SinNombre

He fell off a bit in the GCT rapid and blitz towards the end, so let's see if his stamina lasts here.

His longevity is pushing him closer to the all-time top 5 imo.

JPRouve

Scout
Jovanka Houska and Jan Gustaffsson spent 3 or 4 minutes discussing how they should handle noisy kids at a chess tournament and how much force they can use against them.

They may be cancelled after that.:lol:

JPRouve

Scout
Lads remember the Candidates Tournament starts tomorrow.

JPRouve

Scout
Ding essentially lost and the camera is showing us every angles of his face. He is as dejected as it gets. :(

Abraxas

Caruana was my fancy pre tournament, I just felt he would come back from his recent average form where he's looked a bit lacking in motivation. Seeing him sharp today is a good sign. He's probably the most rounded player in the tournament for my money.

Shocking result for Ding, that was an absolute train wreck of a game to get mated with white in the first game. Kind of a long way back from that even though it's the first round.

Early days, hard to tell until they've all had a couple of games with white and black.

Abraxas

Hikaru back in business today. Excellent win for him, grinding out a tricky endgame win.

The rest was all pretty standard, although Firouzja put up an interesting defence against Rapport to hold a draw.

Motorman

Would like to see Hikaru in the WCC, feel unlikely however. Firouzja would be good also, really don't want Caruana

Abraxas

A great day for Nepo. Very strange blunder of a pawn by Firouzja and it unravelled from there. It has not been the young man's tournament so far, fairly surprising to see him and Ding struggling but one win and they're back in business.

peridigm

Botez sisters of course. :drool:

Coffee Chess is enjoyable for the entertainment value. Other than that, I watch a lot of Gotham.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
Nepo and Fabi seem to be running away with it. If its Nepo again, I really think Magnus will forfeit his title, Fabi I don't know.

JPRouve

Scout
Fabi is impressive, it's like a machine playing chess.

I know that I shouldn't care about comments from random people on a chat but watching the Nakamura vs Ding game yesterday, many people were criticizing both players and acting as either of them were playing poorly. Nakamura had a 99.2 accuracy while Ding had a 99.5 accuracy. All of these guys are freaky, I don't think people always realize how good these candidates caliber players are.