Chevrolet Logo Discussion (Manchester United Kits 2015/16)

decorativeed

Traditions, traditions. It's not the colour per se, but the combination. White with black shorts is Liverpool. We were red with either white or black shorts - they were always all red. Some things shouldn't be changed.
They weren't always all red. In fact, United wore an all red kit 9 years before they ever did. Simple fact is that black shorts are a necessity for us as part of a set of change kits. And white shirts with black shorts doesn't mean 'Liverpool' any more than it means 'Derby County', 'Fulham', 'Hereford', 'Darlington' or 'Port Vale'. They are colours used by many, many different clubs, and far more regularly than Liverpool have used them.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Hmmm. Ok. Memory issues obviously (or pathetic search performance). I like the all white. There.

Gopher Brown

The club will benefit greatly on a financial basis for the sponsorship from Chevrolet, but I can't help but think that the vast majority of advertising like this, where a logo is posted on the front of the shirt, makes little to no difference to sales of that product.

If I need a new car and I have a choice between a Renault, a VW or a Chevrolet, I'm barely even going to consider the latter. And I can't imagine anyone in the same position wouldn't do the same. The fact that they sponsor a Man Utd has no influence on my decision.

If I need to fly to Dubai and there are a choice of airlines, I am not going to immediately disregard Etihad because they are associated with Man City.

I have no idea what Aon do, and yet they are also a big sponsor.

This rant has very little to do with the kits, but my point is that we are constantly bombarded with advertising, and many of us will become walking billboards ourselves if we buy the kit, but I cannot see how advertising like this in any way benefits the companies who do it.

Spoony

The People's President
United Liverpool semi 1985. What a game. Same black shorts with red stripes. Personally love the combo...it's United.

Jerch

I don't think it is. In fact, I think not enough is known about everyday, casual racism people endure.

But that's not for this thread.
For me it is. I read on this very forum jokus about Suarez teeth, about Chamakh hair, about people being fat and similar jokes and people think this is fun, but if someone make a joke about people color he is a criminal.
Abuse is abuse and all this situations are the same, no should be abused because his characteristics especially if he can't do nothing about it. I don't get why racist abuse is more wrong than other...

And as many said if any girl find our women's shirt sexist she can buy a man's shirt. My wife clearly thinks that women's shirt is nicer than man's.

Dans

The club will benefit greatly on a financial basis for the sponsorship from Chevrolet, but I can't help but think that the vast majority of advertising like this, where a logo is posted on the front of the shirt, makes little to no difference to sales of that product.

If I need a new car and I have a choice between a Renault, a VW or a Chevrolet, I'm barely even going to consider the latter. And I can't imagine anyone in the same position wouldn't do the same. The fact that they sponsor a Man Utd has no influence on my decision.

If I need to fly to Dubai and there are a choice of airlines, I am not going to immediately disregard Etihad because they are associated with Man City.

This rant has very little to do with the kits, but my point is that we are constantly bombarded with advertising, and many of us will become walking billboards ourselves if we buy the kit, but I cannot see how advertising like this in any way benefits the companies who do it.
It's not really about pure sales - it's more about brand awareness (globally) and all the shit that goes on around a sponsorship - corporate entertaining etc etc

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
For me it is. I read on this very forum jokus about Suarez teeth, about Chamakh hair, about people being fat and similar jokes and people think this is fun, but if someone make a joke about people color he is a criminal.
Abuse is abuse and all this situations are the same, no should be abused because his characteristics especially if he can't do nothing about it. I don't get why racist abuse is more wrong than other...

And as many said if any girl find our women's shirt sexist she can buy a man's shirt. My wife clearly thinks that women's shirt is nicer than man's.
If you really think comparing laughing at somebody with goofy teeth to laughing at someone's skin tone is the same then this conversation is over, and I'll be wary of crossing your path in the future.

Has anybody ever tried to kill all the goofy people in the world? Do people with funny hair get unfairly prosecuted, and in some circumstances, murdered because of it? Were fat people dragged from their countries and forced into slavery, used as sexual objects and then killed when they no longer served purpose?

You sound like someone who is trying to justify their own racial prejudices/'jokes'.

Gopher Brown

It's not really about pure sales - it's more about brand awareness (globally) and all the shit that goes on around a sponsorship - corporate entertaining etc etc
Everything is to do with maximising profits.

Dans

Everything is to do with maximising profits.
Of course it is - everything a for profit organisation does is.

But it's almost impossible to measure what a sponsorship was directly responsible for regarding sales. It's as much about using the sponsorship to build relationships with suppliers, customers etc etc.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS

I'm sure I read somewhere that Aon benefited massively from sponsoring us.

Jerch

If you really think comparing laughing at somebody with goofy teeth to laughing at someone's skin tone is the same then this conversation is over, and I'll be wary of crossing your path in the future.

You sound like someone who is trying to justify their own racial prejudices/'jokes'.
Oh you totally missed a point. I am against all kind of abuse and just want to point out that other abuses are fine and racial abuse is wrong. Are abuses are wrong and i find pathetic when someone who is so against racism is fine to joke about other peoples characteristics. Double standards maybe?

Has anybody ever tried to kill all the goofy people in the world?
Yes there are examples when people were killed, even by police, because their characteristics and not just because their color. There was a video when a policeman attacked man who had heart attack and couldn't aswered to him, a case when a deaf man could understand policeman what he is saying and he was shoot because of that, many cases when mentally chalanged people didn't react as a policeman wanted because their mental problems and they were shoot. And don't get started how many people are killed because they look dangerous or crazy because their mental problems or because their clothes or because how they look.
The point is there are a lot of stupid people who find people that are diffirent than them dangerous. And not just different by color but also by different charactheristics.
Do people with funny hair get unfairly prosecuted, and in some circumstances, murdered because of it?
Read again above, i jus pointed out funny hair but there are other charactheristics and yes people get killed or unfairly prosecuted because some of those characteristics.
Were fat people dragged from their countries and forced into slavery, used as sexual objects and then killed when they no longer served purpose?
Again you pointed out just fat people but it was just an example. And yes many white people were dragged from their countries and forced into slavery, used as sexual objects and then killed when they no longer served purpose in the history because their characteristics or nationality, politic opinion or their religion. Maybe you should think about WW2 and what happened to jews, in my very country people a lot of people were killed after WW2 because they were christians and didn't liked comunism (even parents of my grandmother were killed), Srebrenica genocide and many more.

The point is, any kind of abuse is wrong, racial, national, religious or abuse how people look. You pointed out worst case scenarious but just think about how many lives are ruined because of abuse, how many people commit suicide because of abuse or how many people are depressed because of it their whole life.
If you think making fun of the people look or other characteristics is not as wrong as making fun because people color you should think again.

I just hope you got the point because i don't want to spam anymore...

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
I get what you're saying @Jerch think there was a but of misunderstanding on both our parts but we'll leave it there.

Sam

I think that's fecking wonderful! The socks will probably be different though, they just look like the home socks.

Will definitely be getting those shorts :drool:
Yeah I quite like them. I can imagine most will either love them or hate them though.

eggwithsideburns

When I first saw the black kit on the manikin and the whole thing together I admit I was taken aback, my mind was like what on earth is this? Its bloody brilliant is what that is. Robot meets futuristic chic, I hope we don't play like robots in it but I love it. Fellaini wearing that will look like something out of a Tron film.

As for the red shorts, yeah horrible and look like something Liverpool would conjure, eww. I put them on par with the smelliest trump to ever exit the human bottom.

Brightonian

I don't know which I'm enjoying more, that beautiful away kit or SammyJunn's quiet little meltdown. (For the record, I prefer it with the black shorts. With white or red it looks too Liverpool. Black is always what differentiates a United kit.)

Might just make this my first United away shirt.

bonsaiboy

I'm looking to get the home (or 'keepers) kit for my son who's turning 2 this month, preferably with name & number printed on it. Anyone know the best place to get it? The offical store doesn't seem to stock size 2-3, which strikes me as a bit odd...

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
A PROPER no.7

Adidas sent him it, according to his instagram. VDS too. I'd imagine a few more shots of legends in this kit will be cropping up soon. Good PR, that. Very good.

I've never been one to romanticise that number, in fact I've argued against it when Owen & Valencia were wearing it, but after the Di Maria debacle, it does need a shot in the arm. Seeing Becks in it again only reinforces that. It only became a thing because an unbroken line of greats wore it from the 80s to the 00s, which was ridiculously lucky, but if it doesn't get another icon in the next few years, it's liable to become a poisoned chalice. Or worse, the kind of soppy nostalgic heirloom RAWKish types feed off.

Last edited:

Spoony

The People's President
Adidas sent him it, according to his instagram. VDS too. I'd imagine a few more shots of legends in this kit will be cropping up soon. Good PR, that. Very good.

I've never been one to romanticise that number, in fact I'm sure I've argued against it when Owen & Valencia were wearing it. But after the Di Maria debacle, it does need a shot in the arm, and seeing Becks in it again only reinforces that. It only became a thing because an unbroken line of greats wore it from the 80s to the 00s. If it doesn't get another icon in the next few years, it's liable to become a poisoned chalice, or worse, the kind of soppy nostalgic heirloom RAWKish types feed off.

Yeah, I agree.

nevillestache

I think it needs a rising star again like Beckham or Ronaldo to take on that number. Memphis would be the obvious choice for most.

Pedro may well take the number for now though.

Edit: talking about the no.7

Sam

I've never been one to romanticise that number, in fact I've argued against it when Owen & Valencia were wearing it, but after the Di Maria debacle, it does need a shot in the arm. Seeing Becks in it again only reinforces that. It only became a thing because an unbroken line of greats wore it from the 80s to the 00s, which was ridiculously lucky, but if it doesn't get another icon in the next few years, it's liable to become a poisoned chalice. Or worse, the kind of soppy nostalgic heirloom RAWKish types feed off.
Yeah, I agree.
Memphis has United #7 all over him. Seems to have the talent, and the ego, to back it up.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!

They're sending Owen and Di Maria one, too.

Mockney

Memphis has United #7 all over him. Seems to have the talent, and the ego, to back it up.
I'd rather Memphis than Pedro, for the reason @nevillestache mentioned, but perhaps it'd be good for a solid but unexceptional player (at least in United career terms) to have it for a bit. The media will always seek out the black and white narrative, and if Depay isn't Robbo/Eric/Becks/Ronaldo class instantly, he'll be beaten with the Owen/Valencia/Di Maria flop stick. A player like Pedro wouldn't give a shit (especially since it's his number at Barca anyway) and might help to ease someone like Memphis, or even Perreira, into it a la Becks, who made his bones in 24, then 10, before moving to 7 once he was fully established.

All of this is overthinking though, obviously. It's a fecking number. Great players will thrive and bad players will shirk, regardless. But there's probably some truth in the idea that number requires a certain mentality. All of those formentioned players relished competition, and played their best under pressure with something to prove. Valencia gave the shirt back because he couldn't deal with it.

Last edited:

Spoony

The People's President
Of course it is only a fecking number. Media has made it out to be something that it isn't. We've had more tripe run around with the number 7 on their backs than great players like Robbo, Cantona et al. The number 7 eh? that and 11 have always been my favs. (I know useful information...)

Mockney

Of course it is only a fecking number. Media has made it out to be something that it isn't. We've had more tripe run around with the number 7 on their backs than great players like Robbo, Cantona et al. The number 7 eh? that and 11 have always been my favs. (I know useful information...)
Standardly. Robbo and Best were only added retroactively to the "Legend of the 7" by marketing bods. My dad's still got a VHS of Giggs somehwere that heralds him as the heir to Best's iconic 11 shirt. The whole thing only started when Cantona retired. But once it became a thing, and the media made it a thing, it's intangible thingness begat the cosmic power to burden players. Valencia wouldn't have given any other first XI shirt back. That said, it's hopefully been dragged through enough mud to have brushed off the pressure. I'm just worried it could become an inverse burden shirt of shitness. Footballers are stupid, superstitious people.

They're sending Owen and Di Maria one, too.
Liam Miller got one too.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Standardly. Robbo and Best were only added retroactively to the "Legend of the 7" by marketing bods. My dad's still got a VHS of Giggs somehwere that heralds him as the heir to Best's iconic 11 shirt. The whole thing only started when Cantona retired. But once it became a thing, and the media made it a thing, it's intangible thingness begat the cosmic power to burden players. Valencia wouldn't have given any other first XI shirt back. That said, it's hopefully been dragged through enough mud to have brushed off the pressure. I'm just worried it could become an inverse burden shirt of shitness. Footballers are stupid, superstitious people.

Liam Miller got one too.
Hope Adidas are not tight enough to send two for Djemba Djemba.

Jacob

Kind of weird to announce the away kit after the start of the season. Focus should be on the football, anything else should be put to bed our be kept out of the lime light.