Chiellini and Bonucci

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Classic, old skool, silk and steel partnership. Rio and Vidic. Pallister and Bruce.

You don’t see many such classicaly complementary central defensive partnerships these days. Who else deserves a mention?
Varane and Maguire

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Absolute monsters of the game. Can’t help but love them both :drool:

Bwuk

Both leaders. True captains.

Kane could learn a lot.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Classic, old skool, silk and steel partnership. Rio and Vidic. Pallister and Bruce.

You don’t see many such classicaly complementary central defensive partnerships these days. Who else deserves a mention?
Ramos / Varane - Varane the sweeper in behind mopping up and Ramos the hyper-aggressive engager in midfield.

Hummels / Akanji at Dortmund also have a pretty complementary skillset - albeit it with a much lower ceiling.

paulscholes18

Played right into their hands, even when they both were on yellows still didn’t look to run at then just hoof it up to Kane so annoying.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Good to see them winning something for Italy.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Gotta love Chiellini’s enthusiasm for the game. They’re both clearly on the wane but after they got warmed up they just cleaned up, and his pure joy about simple clearances is infectious!

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
That pull back on Saka was so ridiculous I can't help but admire it.
Even on an NFL field you'd have been done for a horsecollar tackle for that one. :lol:

Schneiderman

They are brilliant, just wish they didn't win it against us so I could be happy for them. The Saka pull back says it all.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
cnuts….but loveable cnuts at that. Hard not to admire them

Jaxa

Admire them while you can because their type is a dying breed,

Bonnuci, Chiellini, Ramos, Rio, Vidic, dare I say it even Terry

Warriors, proper old school grit

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
To be fair they have been the best CB partnership in the world for so many years already.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I think a couple of years ago Chiellini said that Guardiolianism ruined defenders. The gist was that defenders can organize themselves,be good on the ball but can't mark a striker out of the game anymore. He said Italy should stay away from it, it's just not in their defending DNA.

Here is the quote:

arnie_ni

England didn't test them. Can't actually remember one run in behind in the whole 120 mins.

Their one weakness

tomaldinho1

Great duo but Italy’s strength is that they actually have a midfield who can build play, keep the ball and shelter those old war dogs from playing 90mins at full pace. We got schooled in the midfield today once Mancini adapted to our system and never really contested the space, we were happy to sit in and defend and let Veratti do his thing.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Was about to make that thread as well. The old warhorses have finally done it.

Glad they've now won a major title outside of Italy, among the faces of their football generation for me.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Bonucci was ace. Man of the Match in the final and arguably the Player of the Tournament for me, all things considered; a defensive titan throughout, fundamental to Italy's build-play from the back and the score-leveling goal was like the creamiest of icings on the most delightful cake (was half-wishing that he would go haywire like Tardelli/Grosso! :lol:) Pleased for him and Chiellini — made light of their age and seemed to get better as the tournament wore on as men on a mission; you can tell that they constantly hype each other up and get a lot of enjoyment from pure batten-down-the-hatches style defending (much like Baresi, Scirea, Maldini, Nesta, Bergomi, Cannavaro, Burgnich, Ferrara, Gentile et cetera back in the day). At the same time, somewhat sad for the third amico Barzagli, who would have been equally deserving of reveling in this triumph — and for a while was the finest defender at Juventus in my opinion (and arguably the best no-nonsense defender in all of football after Godín), even ahead of the aforementioned duo. Oh well, he can console himself with the 2006 Jules Rimet trophy, which Bonucci and Chiellini obviously missed out on. And hopefully, the storied tradition of rugged Italian defenders will continue with the likes of Bastoni and Pirola in years to come.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
England didn't test them. Can't actually remember one run in behind in the whole 120 mins.

Their one weakness
Sterling had one in extra time but was clearly waiting for a challenge so he could fall down. He ultimately didn't get his feet right and fluffed a shot that was knocked out for a corner.