Chiellini and Bonucci

RedStarUnited

I will never forgive Southgate for not trying to give them any speed to deal with in extra time

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Was gonna make a thread about Chiellini but I'll put it here instead. Is he now an all time great defender and where does he rank amongst Baresi, Scirea, Gentile, Cannavaro, Nesta etc?
I think he should be. If we compare him to other more stopper-type Italians, then he should certainly be in the same group as Cannavaro, Vierchowod, Bergomi, Gentile, Rosato. Within that group he's probably in the middle somewhere. I reckon Baresi, Scirea and Nesta are in a tier of their own, and more in the Bonucci mould.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Was gonna make a thread about Chiellini but I'll put it here instead. Is he now an all time great defender and where does he rank amongst Baresi, Scirea, Gentile, Cannavaro, Nesta etc?
Not close to Baresi, Scirea & Nesta and a tier below Cannavaro for me. Somewhere close to Costacurta, Vierchowod, Gentile & the likes — not an all-time great in his position, but someone who wouldn’t look out of place in any team.

Last edited:

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
So happy they got their hands on an international trophy, lost 2 CL finals and a euro final so it was nice to see them get what they deserved.

2 legends of the game and their CB pairing will be remembered for generations to come.

JuveGER

Supports
Juventus
So, as if playing together for about a decade and spending the last month together in a team bubble was not enough, they are now going on holiday together with their families :lol:

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
German co-commentator/ex-footballer Sandro Wagner on Chiellini during the final:

"You can't hurt him. I tried couple of years ago, I wanted to show him some Sandro Wagner toughness, but he just smiled vaguely and gave me a kiss on the cheek. Since then I'm in love with this man."

RooneyLegend

So, as if playing together for about a decade and spending the last month together in a team bubble was not enough, they are now going on holiday together with their families :lol:
They remind me of Bakkies Botha and Victor Matfield.

Red Star One

Chiellini is one of a kind. Excellent defender with great passion for the game but also a very knowledgeable, educated man with a golden heart. Many Italians love him to the bits and by many he will be remembered as fondly as the greatest in their history.

poleglass red

Great to watch, lacks pace but never see him exposed for it, sign of a great defender. Is this his last tournament or will he hang on for world cup, if this is his last what a way to go.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Bonucci was ace. Man of the Match in the final and arguably the Player of the Tournament for me, all things considered; a defensive titan throughout, fundamental to Italy's build-play from the back and the score-leveling goal was like the creamiest of icings on the most delightful cake (was half-wishing that he would go haywire like Tardelli/Grosso! :lol:) Pleased for him and Chiellini — made light of their age and seemed to get better as the tournament wore on as men on a mission; you can tell that they constantly hype each other up and get a lot of enjoyment from pure batten-down-the-hatches style defending (much like Baresi, Scirea, Maldini, Nesta, Bergomi, Cannavaro, Burgnich, Ferrara, Gentile et cetera back in the day). At the same time, somewhat sad for the third amico Barzagli, who would have been equally deserving of reveling in this triumph — and for a while was the finest defender at Juventus in my opinion (and arguably the best no-nonsense defender in all of football after Godín), even ahead of the aforementioned duo. Oh well, he can console himself with the 2006 Jules Rimet trophy, which Bonucci and Chiellini obviously missed out on. And hopefully, the storied tradition of rugged Italian defenders will continue with the likes of Bastoni and Pirola in years to come.
Look at that beautiful post admiring the art of defending. Yet some of our fans think cbs who can’t head are alright as long as they can pass

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I read on F365 yesterday that these two have lost only three times when starting as a central-defensive pairing for Italy....

Now I don't know if that counts when they start as part of a back 3, but even still, its a great sounding stat. (depending on how many times they've done it!)

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
They're very good but I'm not sure they're as good as this thread makes them out to be i.e among the greatest ever.

DoomSlayer

I hate both of these twats with a passion. One of the few good memories of Mourinho is shushing them in their own stadium.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I said before the game that they'd handle Kane with ease unless the pitch was stretched by the wing-forwards or, he played away from them and avoided entanglement. Southgate played into Italian hands and made the game far easier for them than it should've been.

You work old men like that by making them run out to assist full-backs whilst worrying about what's then behind them as they simply don't want to run around frenetically at that age.

Chiellini really was dicing with red for his foul on Sterling, but the ref was lenient.

It's a nice story that they've got medals and won the tournament, but if Spain had competent strikers, the story would have ended there as they got sliced and diced numerous times. England didn't even try to test them, which does lessen their achievement, some what.

But with all that said and done, the amount of confidence it must give their team-mates to have them out there can't be stressed enough. Donnarumma looks like he's dead inside, but any nerves he might have had, I'm sure those two dispelled with their presence, experience and genuine calm they exude.

In this era of poor defending, it's important duos like this are about, though.

Qatar will be a different challenge entirely, with the heat and year older legs and engines.

huyn

Supports
FC Nantes
Absolutely love both those guys. But I can't help thinking about Barzagli, he didnt get to win with Italy along those two even though he won a WC. For the longest time, when you mentioned Chiellini and Bonucci, you'd also mention Barzagli because they formed the best CB trio ever. You can argue there were better CB pairs but as a trio it doesnt get better than playing those 3 at the back.
Also how can you not love Chiellini. He has the biggest smile on his face from the start of his national anthem to the final whistle. Every time he makes a foul or there's an argument he comes in with his huge smile probably making jokes and keeping things cool. You can tell he's having a blast playing football and would probably do it for free. So much respect for the guy.

spiriticon

This pair has not many weaknesses, both tactically and technically. The only real test we could have given them is to make them run around all game and see how physically resilient they are, but alas.... we decided to fold and they didn't have to break sweat after minute 20.

Last edited:

Tony247

Underline sheer importance of having a solid CB pair in the team to win trophies.

Hughie77

2 top CBs , not tested by a player running behind or at them, they had Kane in there pockets and Sterling, not enough pace in the English team to test them more.

GazTheLegend

I will never forgive Southgate for not trying to give them any speed to deal with in extra time
Same. Stuck by his (shite) favourites right into the grave. To think Rashford, Sancho, and even arguably Vardy and Greenwood never got a run against them is criminal management

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
They even complement each other looks. Bonucci is a fecking handsome bastard. Chiellini just gives you the vibe he would break your neck with a smile on the face.

So much talk about the pace before the game and I don't even think they got tired.

Eternitiy

That pull back on Saka was so ridiculous I can't help but admire it.
How is cheating like this accepted and even lauded when diving is seen as such a great offense? At least with diving, the player is typically attempting to evade a tackle and potential injury. I believe that clear cheating like Chiellini on Saka needs to be punished with a red card. There is no excuse for it.

edcunited1878

Proper defenders who embrace the battles and look forward to the engagements. Always love and appreciate these players.

Their personalities also aid them. Appreciate that they aren't passive about the culture of great Italian defenders and they are just all about the challenge.

It's either the man or ball that goes through, but not both. That was a funny moment but one that you admire because it's the smart yet rough and no bullshit approach.

KeanoMagicHat

Who is better of the two in everyone's opinion? And what tier of all-time Italy team do they make assuming 2 CBs? They've honestly had about 10-15 all-time CBs so I find it hard to place them. Thinking 3rd or 4th team, which is crazy considering they'd be most nations's greatest defenders.

edcunited1878

How is cheating like this accepted and even lauded when diving is seen as such a great offense? At least with diving, the player is typically attempting to evade a tackle and potential injury. I believe that clear cheating like Chiellini on Saka needs to be punished with a red card. There is no excuse for it.
He lost out on a duel after Saka out leveraged him on the sideline. It was a tactical foul that is very common, but looked out of place because he completely yanked his shirt and pulled him down.

The ref missed one of these similar pull backs a little earlier but nothing more than a yellow. If it was 30 yards up the pitch and 1v1, then red will be considered if he had no defensive cover.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Who is better of the two in everyone's opinion? And what tier of all-time Italy team do they make assuming 2 CBs? They've honestly had about 10-15 all-time CBs so I find it hard to place them. Thinking 3rd or 4th team, which is crazy considering they'd be most nations's greatest defenders.
I think Chiellini was the better of the two.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I prefer Chiellini. We saw Bonucci without him when he went to Milan and it wasn't great.

frostbite

Is there anyone who wouldn't want to go on vacation with Ciellini? I bet he is a blast while on vacation!

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
It’s more accepted because there’s no attempt to deceive the referee. No acting. Pretending to be hurt when they’re not. All of these things annoy fans more than a straightforward, obvious foul which they know they’ll get booked for.