Chinese Billionaire Jack Ma suspected missing

Bojan11

Jack Ma – reported to be worth at least $62 billion – has not been seen in public since late October, The Sun reports.
The 56-year-old made his fortune after creating Alibaba, dubbed Asia’s Amazon, and was once a favourite of the communist regimen in China.
However, the former English teacher was suddenly replaced as a judge on the final of Africa’s Business Heroes, a Dragons’ Den-style TV contest for budding entrepreneurs.
His photograph was then removed from the judging panel’s web page and he was later left out of a promotional video.
The father of three had earlier tweeted that he “couldn’t wait” to meet all the contestants.

A spokesman for Alibaba said: “Due to a schedule conflict Mr Ma could no longer be part of the finale judge panel of Africa’s Business Heroes earlier this year.”

The final took place just weeks after Ma made a speech slamming China’s regulators and its state-owned banks.
Last month the authorities suddenly announced an anti-monopoly investigation into his company.

Ma is one of China’s wealthiest men and is also well known for his work with the UN and multiple global charities.

During the ongoing coronavirus pandemic he has donated tens of millions of face masks across the world.
https://www.news.com.au/world/asia/...e/news-story/f676b26585e54d69d94e7f5a9742ab47

All that money means nothing in China especially if you criticise the CCP.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Silly from him. I wonder if he thought his money and relative fame in the West would somehow protect him from the CCP.

He'll probably reappear in a few weeks, repentant and silent in the future.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Silly from him. I wonder if he thought his money and relative fame in the West would somehow protect him from the CCP.

He'll probably reappear in a few weeks, repentant and silent in the future.
All that money and what good it does, if this is the case.

Zlatattack

This is the sort of thing that will eventually bring China down. Tyranny has it's limits. As people become wealthier and more powerful, the ego's will clash with those in power. Eventually it's going to create resentment. If Jack has anyone sense he'll be using his billions to buy people in the CCP to stop this happening again.

MoskvaRed

I’ve finally come up with a positive from the Brexit referendum result - the end of George Osbourne’s policy of promoting the UK as China’s natural investment hub in Europe.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Don't think the CCP would dare do something to him.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Don't think the CCP would dare do something to him.
To make a point to the existing and raising billionaires? I definitely think they will dare. Actually they already did if he disappeared from October. That alone is nuts

nimic

something nice
Scout
This is the sort of thing that will eventually bring China down. Tyranny has it's limits. As people become wealthier and more powerful, the ego's will clash with those in power. Eventually it's going to create resentment. If Jack has anyone sense he'll be using his billions to buy people in the CCP to stop this happening again.
They have millions in concentration camps. Pulling down a rich and connected person who defies the Party is something they've done before and will do again, but compared to the other things they're doing it's hardly up there as far as tyranny goes. Your wealth is meaningless in a totalitarian system, as long as your wealth is directly tied to the system itself. No one's wealth ever stopped Stalin.

Classical Mechanic

The billions didn’t save the Russian billionaires from Putin.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
They have millions in concentration camps. Pulling down a rich and connected person who defies the Party is something they've done before and will do again, but compared to the other things they're doing it's hardly up there as far as tyranny goes. Your wealth is meaningless in a totalitarian system, as long as your wealth is directly tied to the system itself. No one's wealth ever stopped Stalin.
Specially when the west will never interfere because they have so much interests in China

acnumber9

How can you be suspected of being missing? Have they checked his bedroom to make sure?

nimic

something nice
Scout
That clip is funny but it’s just as performative as DT ranting after Arsenal lose. Putin is more a primus inter pares rather than a Stalin who can order a rival to be topped.
Yep. The difference between the pseudo-authoritarianism of Putin's Russia and the full on totalitarianism of Stalin's Soviet Union (but perhaps not pre or post-Stalin, though that is debatable). China is definitely in the latter category.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Yep. The difference between the pseudo-authoritarianism of Putin's Russia and the full on totalitarianism of Stalin's Soviet Union (but perhaps not pre or post-Stalin, though that is debatable). China is definitely in the latter category.
China is definitely not on the Stalin's Soviet Union. The West is deeply entrenched with China at consumerism level, at supply chain level and debt level among other things

nimic

something nice
Scout
China is definitely not on the Stalin's Soviet Union. The West is deeply entrenched with China at consumerism level, at supply chain level and debt level among other things
Sure, but totalitarianism is politics, not necessarily economics. China is much more connected and opened to the rest of the world economically than it was a few decades ago, but the state has paradoxically even more control than it did then.

Tarrou

probably just under Tier "locked you in your own fecking house" lockdown..

Chief123

I’ve got a feeling he was shipped from China but has been lost in the post en route. Hopefully he’ll get returned to sender.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Sure, but totalitarianism is politics, not necessarily economics. China is much more connected and opened to the rest of the world economically than it was a few decades ago, but the state has paradoxically even more control than it did then.
I don't think so. At the same time Stalin was a 1 guy party also. CCP seems much more like a sect. I get your point and accept it partially, but I don't agree with the iron fist that Stalin had on the CCCP. At the same time, precisely is the economy that allows the CCP exert this control inside and outside the country.

Tibs

A bit odd that this is going around the world - you'd think he'd pop and say hey all, I'm fine?

A bit odd that this is going around the world - you'd think he'd pop and say hey all, I'm fine?
It was not uncommon for prominent people to disappear for a few months when i lived there. They would reappear as if nothing happened, having understood the error of their ways and apologised to the Chinese people.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool

Seems like he's fine, although a video doesn't really say that much.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
jack ma and kim jong un, both resurrected from the dead. who next?!

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
He’s probably in a hollowed out mountain in New Zealand.