Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
I've always favoured Jones to partner Rojo, but that performance makes me want Smalling to be given a run of appearances. Any sort of consistency has to help. As long as some sort of CB partnership is formed.

Sam

I'm really hoping his performance today will move him above Jones in the pecking order.

I honesty reckon we'd have lost with Jones at the back today.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
Van Gaal likes one left footed centre half, but if Smalling continues this form and Rojo keeps playing unstable, I can see Smalling with Jones or Evans making a very good pair.

Really enjoyed Smalling today.

acnumber9

I thought he was excellent. If he could pass and probably more importantly stay fit we'd have no problems.

FromTheBench

He is good when he has to defend except sometimes set piece marking and clumsy moments. Problem is when he has to pass and tbf he didn't have to do much of that in posession today or was pressed that much.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Still shits himself when he has to take the initiative and carry it forward or pass it out but some of his last ditch defending saved us so fair play to him.

legball

I keep saying it, when it comes to pure defending, he's better than Jones. But Jones flies into tackle and charges about, so, people seem to rate him more. Also he passed the ball quite well [by his own standard] today. Injuries though remains a problem, I won't be surprised if he has picked up a niggle in this game, and Jones is back in next week, and the cycle continues :)

tom33

I still think Jones and Smalling could be a great centre back partnership if, by some miracle, they both manage to stay off the treatment table long enough to play matches together.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Proves yet again how he is the best CB we have.

FromTheBench

I still think Jones and Smalling could be a great centre back partnership if, by some miracle, they both manage to stay off the treatment table long enough to play matches together.
Yeah, agreed actually. They complement each other decently and have a previous understanding too.

But cannot stay fit for long enough. Plus Van Gaal has a leftie rightie fetish now.

markhrad

He had a really good game today also I thought he looked quite composed going forward and made good low passes. He actually looked a class above Rojos.

Chorley1974

Lady Ole

This is the issue though, a very brittle partnership.

untitled_6899

A couple of dodgy clearances to begin with but was more composed as the game went on, hope he manages to cement a place in the side and build a partnership with Rojo.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
It’s really impressive that he seems like one of those players who can start a game after a long absence and give a good shift. At the moment he’s the only CB that I’m confident with. Rojo scares the shite out of me.

Devil may care

Good performance, he is much calmer than Jones and I thought he really shored things up in that back 4.

justboy68

He's an excellent defender just not a great footballer. Doesn't enjoy having the ball one bit and makes some gash clearances. However it's a small price to play when he defends really well so hopefully more of the same. Just desperately needs to stay fit.

Raw

He is a great defender who still has more to show at United. People saying that we should sell him off when he gets injured should think again, at the very least he's very capable backup in CB.

Same goes for Jones, although I think Smalling's the better defender.

LR7

I'm usually quite critical of him because I think his passing is often atrocious for someone who plays at such a big club. He was good today though. No complaints.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
Very good performance. A little rusty at times but you can't blame him for that.

footballgirl07

Quality game and an intelligent player. That crossfield ball to Di Maria(?) in the second half was class. His distribution all round was much improved compared to previous games.

Count Orduck

There was one moment towards the end where he had the ball and was obviously looking for a pass, and I sighed and said, "don't try it Chris, just knock it short to someone who can actually find a team-mate with a pass"... and then he pinged a perfect crossfield ball straight to Di Maria's feet.

itso 7

This performance was brilliant but it will only do him any good if he can, somehow, make himself available for the next fifteen before breaking down again. This is a great opportunity for one of him, Jones and Evans because if they stay fit and perform to standard (who am I kidding) then there is a starting role waiting to be grabbed before we sign another centre back.

ZDwyr

He was great. Even his passing wasn't bad. There was a long diagonal ball he hit to Shaw that was sweet (I think it was Smalling anyway). Handled the 1v1 with Willian really well too and I was actually quite calm when I saw it was Smalling who was defending it. He's our best defender in the CB position. I'd start with him consistently. (please don't get injured).

Blue always red

Once again, Smalling + 1 is the way forward. As I've said before he mirrors Rio in his ability to spot danger and position himself, but lacks the ability to calmly bring the ball out from the back. In that sense he's similar to Vidic. On the otherhand, Jones isn't as tactically aware as Smalling but is a no-nonsense all action defender like Vida, but with the ball playing ability of Rio. I'm sure if these two become injury free for a prolonged period and play together, they'll form a great partnership.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I hope this performance can convince LvG to not give any thought of selling Smalling.

I know LvG has million times more knowledge on judging players talent and potential than me, but I'd seriously questioning his management if he gives up on Smalling.

Yeah, just another Smalling 'silly fanboy' speaking here.

Everest Red

Reddest ever
I thought he'd be a complete disaster and Rojo and Rafael would have to bail him out. Glad to be wrong.