6.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards

Ekeke

I think most would agree though that De Gea has been the primary reason for our defensive record due to how good he's been. Not that Smalling hasn't had an okay season, but I think there's a little bit of a kneejerk reaction here at the moment because he's off the back of a very god performance. Just a little bit, though.
Of course De Gea has been the best, but every other team mentioned has one player thats clearly performed better than the rest. It doesnt mean his teammates are garbage. De Gea is on a level of his own, but Smalling is head and shoulders above the rest. And De Gea would have conceeded a lot more if he didnt have Smalling helping him out too

BringNaniBack

Leaves a bullshit trail behind him
Our best CB by a mile as I have been saying for the past 2 years.....check my old posts. If he could just improve his passing a bit more then he could be one of the best Centre backs in the league. Im just not sure who should partner him, at the moment it has to be Rojo.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Of course De Gea has been the best, but every other team mentioned has one player thats clearly performed better than the rest. It doesnt mean his teammates are garbage. De Gea is on a level of his own, but Smalling is head and shoulders above the rest. And De Gea would have conceeded a lot more if he didnt have Smalling helping him out too
Again, while it's true, it's not much of a compliment when you look at our centre backs this season at times.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Tremendous athleticism and speed but those wayward passes reminded me of Bebe's crossing

girish

I too love women...for their shoes.
The thing I really liked about him today was the willingnes to take one or two touches and pass/move forward instead of taking a safer option. Helped the tempo of the game a lot.

Ekeke

Again, while it's true, it's not much of a compliment when you look at our centre backs this season at times.
While all our Cbs have looked a bit nervous this season at some point, they haven't been that bad overall. The main problem has been careless/self inflicted errors from Jones, Rojo and Evans and of course Smalling's sending off against City. If they were just more careful and those errors hadnt happened, we wouldnt look half as nervous at the back. The bulk of the defending, mostly from Smalling but also from Rojo and some from Jones has been quite good. Its just that good work is undone with a pass to an opposing striker

I remember before Vidic came we used to have a lot of individual errors in the backline from Brown, Silvestre and Neville too

Devil may care

I'd say I'm a lot more convinced about Smalling than Jones personally since Smalling probably is our best centre back at the moment, but even that's not much of a compliment.
He's the less rash of the two and the better in one on ones, but both worry me positionally and in possession.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Still surprised plenty think that Jones is the better defender. Seen a few post-game tweets slagging off Smalling, even after he put in a very solid game today. I think many have just decided they don't like him, and that's that.

He seems to be hindered by a reputation, possibly from being a fairly sub-standard right back for the past 3 years or so. Apart from the City game, I don't really think Smalling has done much wrong this season. Some fairly average performances in a constantly rotating starting 11 and an ever changing formation, where the whole team was playing a very negative brand of football; but a great deal of solid individual displays within that, especially more recently.

I'm a fan of Jones as well. I think he's a great tackler and I like his tenacity, but he's calamitous and really needs to compose himself, especially positionally. Right now, Smalling is a much better defender. Severely underrated outside of this forum, IMO. After the round of fixtures where we beat Burnley, he was given the highest rating of every player in the league that week on whoscored.com (Obviously bolstered by scoring 2 goals, unusual in itself for a centre back). The response to it was as if Chris Smalling had raped the mother of every opposing fan in the country. How could Smalling, of all people, be the pick of the week?

Good player. Still far from perfect, but if he can keep putting in performances like today, he could be one of the best in the league.

Minimalist

Expect he hasn't been poor at all.
Well I simply disagree. His sending off against City genuinely made me question his IQ and I have watched him put in many shaky performances this season (in my opinion, I guess).

As I said though, much improved today and his best performance this season (and possibly since he's been at the club in my memory).

RooneyLegend

Beast of a defend but an absolute calamity with the ball at his feet. In an era where pressing the defenders is used an abused, he's an accident waiting to happen.

Rossa

Well I simply disagree. His sending off against City genuinely made me question his IQ and I have watched him put in many shaky performances this season (in my opinion, I guess).

As I said though, much improved today and his best performance this season (and possibly since he's been at the club in my memory).
A rash tackle is a testament to a low IQ? That makes most footballers idiots on so many levels then. Amazing post that is; unfortunately, amazingly bad.

Rossa

His passing is shocking.
Look at when he darts forward with the ball; our attackers look glued to the pitch as if waiting to see "how far can he go" - a bit reminiscent to watching Valencia two years back. That pass to Young was terrible, but not much worse than some of what our midfielders did today. His passing IS much improved, even if he still has some way to go still.

Rossa

Smalling's positioning is good
It's just another one of those mindless arguments about him. There have been so, so many over the last couple of seasons; he's slow, he's poor in the air, poor one on one, poor positionally, poor tackler etc etc. In terms of defending, the only thing I want to see him improve on is his ability to sometimes be caught ball watching. He obviously still needs to work on his technique and his passing, but it's far from poor.

Sheldon69

It's his consistency for me !
Iffy on Monday against arsenals pace but superb today against Kane .
I think carrick helps him a lot

Ekeke

A couple at best

wiz4231

I guess in your opinion Rooney's sending off against West Ham has you questioning his IQ as well

ZDwyr

Great dominant performance. Handled Kane with ease and showed glimpses of good passing. I actually think one more pre-season under van Gaal could elevate him. He just has to continue working on his passing and decision making with the ball, and after a summer of doing that I think he'll be brilliant.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Really liked how positive he was with the ball at his feet today. Lost count of the number of times he surged forward with it and totally threw off the oppositions structure. Hopefully we see more of that from him. Though would be nice if he was able to pass the ball properly after doing so :lol:

GledTheRed

Really liked how positive he was with the ball at his feet today. Lost count of the number of times he surged forward with it and totally threw off the oppositions structure. Hopefully we see more of that from him. Though would be nice if he was able to pass the ball properly after doing so :lol:
He and Jones clearly had instructions to surge forward with the ball, they were both really positive and played well today.

tombombadil

Centerbacks surging forward are a key component of LvG's philosophy. It forces the opposition out of shape because of the extra man.

Anyways, I thought this was one of Smalling's better performances. He played well and rarely made mistakes and even added surging runs forward to his forte. Unfortunately, most of the time, he either overhit all his long passes or wound up dispossessed. That's something he still needs to work on if he wants to be a van Gaal defender, I guess.

Well it's still good that he has been adding new facets to his game. I've always said that Smalling has all the potential to be a monster defender. A new Jaap Stam. Tall, fast, strong. My main frustration with him has been his inconsistency. He has a tendency of switching off during games where he just doesn't think or anticipate the the flow of the game at all. That has led to mistakes over the years, but if he can cut those mistakes out, like in the last game against spurs, we can all see what his true potential is.

The hallmark of top class defenders have always been how rarely they made mistakes. Ferdinand rarely made mistakes in his prime. I've been hoping, for the last 3 - 4 years that Smalling will finally come of age and at least come close to that level of rarity of mistakes. Hopefully that time will come.

Rossa

Seeing as Kane scores a hat-trick today and has pretty much been the in-form player lately, I think it speaks volumes about Smalling's game against Tottenham and Kane in particular. He had him in his back pocket the entire match. Jones also had him under control, but Smalling was immense. Hopefully he can keep up that form against Liverpool.

Raw

Seeing as Kane scores a hat-trick today and has pretty much been the in-form player lately, I think it speaks volumes about Smalling's game against Tottenham and Kane in particular. He had him in his back pocket the entire match. Jones also had him under control, but Smalling was immense. Hopefully he can keep up that form against Liverpool.
He was great, but I think the whole team did well to restrict Spurs from feeding Kane any chances. Kane was completely invisible until the 89th minute.

ghagua

Smalling just needs to stay fit for a few months to get some momentum. If he stays fit then he can be a solution to our center back search. Don't really care if he is not passing like Beckenbauer, what i want him to do is continue to defend well, read the game and position himself correctly, because at the end of the day, he is a defender and his job is to stop goals being conceded.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
Smalling just needs to stay fit for a few months to get some momentum. If he stays fit then he can be a solution to our center back search. Don't really care if he is not passing like Beckenbauer, what i want him to do is continue to defend well, read the game and position himself correctly, because at the end of the day, he is a defender and his job is to stop goals being conceded.
I agree I also want him to become more of a leader at the back but that comes with confidence and momentum as you said.

Rossa

He was great, but I think the whole team did well to restrict Spurs from feeding Kane any chances. Kane was completely invisible until the 89th minute.
True, but they had several encounters, but Smalling won every single one of them, be it in the air or on the ground. He was immense, and it is the first time I've heard the Norwegian pundits giving him some proper praise, which was about time.

Liverpool 1:2 Man Utd

DevilRed

Him and Jones have done a decent job so far. Having Carrick back is making it a whole lot easier for them.

Im sure they will still make mistakes but anybody doubting their talent is crazy. Both are here to stay for the long run hopefully.

ricky-romeo

want to wait until the game is finished but cannot help, he has been super confident on the ball over the last 2 games. what LVG has done to him?

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Excellent performance from him- where Jones had a bit of crazed maniac feel about him, Smalling was cool, calm and absolutely dominant.

Last edited: