6.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards

stu_1992

Usually a fan of his, but there is no denying he was poor last night. Thought him and Valencia were both at fault for the first goal. They both seemed to follow each other around, leaving a massive gap for Monreal. Smalling also had a few other moments where he looked shaky, possibly not helped by being left sided central defender in the second half. All in all though, disappointing because I know he is capable of much better.

Count Orduck

He struggled last night because he was under so much pressure. Arsenal were playing a high line and pressing us high up the pitch, and he couldn't handle that. He's never been able to. That's a huge deficiency in his game, but I'm not sure it warrants getting rid - you just have to take it into account. The same way Vidic or Terry are left embarrassed if a pacy attacker catches them one-on-one when they're high up the pitch. You'll never find a defender totally free of flaws, so you build your system to minimise their weaknesses and maximise their strengths.

We didn't do that or take his weaknesses into account, and we didn't push Arsenal back. We let them press us up high without punishing them on the counter or with balls in behind and we paid the price.

Meanwhile, Mertesacker, who has the turning circle of an oil tanker and is woefully inept anywhere outside his own box (see the Arsenal v Monaco game from two weeks ago as evidence) was allowed to stroll around on the halfway line without us doing a damn thing about it.

Blue always red

He struggled last night because he was under so much pressure. Arsenal were playing a high line and pressing us high up the pitch, and he couldn't handle that. He's never been able to. That's a huge deficiency in his game, but I'm not sure it warrants getting rid - you just have to take it into account. The same way Vidic or Terry are left embarrassed if a pacy attacker catches them one-on-one when they're high up the pitch. You'll never find a defender totally free of flaws, so you build your system to minimise their weaknesses and maximise their strengths.

We didn't do that or take his weaknesses into account, and we didn't push Arsenal back. We let them press us up high without punishing them on the counter or with balls in behind and we paid the price.

Meanwhile, Mertesacker, who has the turning circle of an oil tanker and is woefully inept anywhere outside his own box (see the Arsenal v Monaco game from two weeks ago as evidence) was allowed to stroll around on the halfway line without us doing a damn thing about it.
So much truth! With Vidic, he had Rio who was positionally excellent there to cover him most of the times so his weakness was masked. A defender is only as good as whoever is next to him. Smalling and Rojo do well but I can't see him working well with Jones.

phonics_tid

Your Mother Was a Hamster and Your Father Smelt of
This guy is really just not that good eh?

He dominates in the air but as soon as the ball is on the deck, he suddenly acts like he's never seen a ball before. Everytime he's near the ball in a pressure situation, I genuinely fear for the worst. I can't imagine how De Gea must be feeling with that lack of certainty in front of him. We really have came so far since the days of Vidic and Ferdinand.

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
Probably not the same posters, but I'm sure the attitudes towards him must completely change every two pages. :lol:

He goes through a few games where he looks uncharacteristically composed and commanding. Almost like a twin brother. But usually, even if he's doing his individual defensive job well, he rarely looks in unison with his partner or composed or convincing.

There's something about him. I just don't get the impression he ever inspires confidence in those around him, even when he's winning his individual battle. That's needed as a centre back.

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017
Those saying he has been fantastic cannot be serious. Either I have been watching a different player or the standards at this club have dropped significantly.

He is a capable defender but in today's game you need more than that, especially under Van Gaal. He is so poor on the ball its shocking and not acceptable for a club looking for Champions League football.

Minimalist

Probably not the same posters, but I'm sure the attitudes towards him must completely change every two pages. :lol:

He goes through a few games where he looks uncharacteristically composed and commanding. Almost like a twin brother. But usually, even if he's doing his individual defensive job well, he rarely looks in unison with his partner or composed or convincing.

There's something about him. I just don't get the impression he ever inspires confidence in those around him, even when he's winning his individual battle. That's needed as a centre back.
Nah it might look like it but seriously he's been average to shite all season and I personally haven't seen or said anything other than that. Think a few on here had the cheek to call him our best centre back in response to his reckless sending off against City.

No sorry, that's Rojo and even he isn't anything special (he just does his damn job).

Smalling along with Jones are two of the biggest examples of why despite United supporters (although maybe I'm being unfair and it's just the English) having high expectations, a lot of them simply have no standards to continue backing such average footballers. Both of them wouldn't even stand out playing for a mid-table side.

Ryan Shawcross (who for many is labelled a big reckless lump) does both their jobs without any of the hype.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Constant fluctuation of performances is worrying. Anyone saying he's always been shit or that he has been shit all season is wrong. He should still go after Jones and Evans, if at all. Very good third choice/second choice RCB to have.

Minimalist

Constant fluctuation of performances is worrying. Anyone saying he's always been shit or that he has been shit all season is wrong. He should still go after Jones and Evans, if at all. Very good third choice/second choice RCB to have.
Depends what you want from a defender. For a club like Manchester United, he's shit.

For Stoke? Sure, make him Captain.

ZDwyr

He was arguably MOTM against Sunderland not long ago. He has been inconsistent since he got back into the team (after being solid and then dropped for no reason). It's frustrating that he is being inconsistent, and it will put him under pressure to stay. He is still our best CB I think though.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
He keeps on shifting between Smalling-bauer and Smalling-bramble.

Our best defender at any rate.

Red Stone

It seems like Spurs are just letting him dribble three players on the trot, knowing that he'll never create anything anyway.

That being said, defensively he's been a rock. Kane and Eriksen have been completely invisible.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I can't love him more. Great at man marking, and his long pass is getting better.

Skills

Snitch
Hes been fine on the ball.

Pin point pass to Young for a great chance.
Tanked through the spurs midfield but fecked up a tough through ball pretty bad.

And a few other drives and miss placed passes, but only the last one was bad as it was in a bad position and we couldve been caught out.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
I love that he's been marauding forward with the ball at his feet, he's not perfect at it but at least he attempts it and will only improve.

DevilRed

Him and Jones have made mistakes and questionable decisions/passes with the ball. But the great thing is seeing both of them so confident. Especially Smalling who is just running like an African gazelle everytime there is space.

Confidence boost for both of them especially with tough matches ahead.

I still maintain that him and Jones are the future of the club and should not be sold at any cost.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Best defender we've got when it comes to taking the ball out of defence at his feet. If he brushes up on his passes Smalling could become a big plus for our build up play.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
It was a crying shame to see him playing at RB, but if it's added anything to his game, it's the confidence to carry the ball forward into the opposition half, much like Ferdinand did.

As with almost all CBs, he gets a nosebleed, but great to see none the less.