6.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards

El Zoido

Decent squad player if you need him to cover, could do a solid job alongside Rio or Vidic, but is badly exposed with weaker players alongside him.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Simply not good enough, average at best.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Biggest Smalling defender on here, but he was poor and off his game tonight. Terrible on the ball, although the midfield didn't help and it seemed that he was trying to play central midfield himself, but from defense.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
I think he is like Pique where he thrives the most off a leader beside him. His best games were in his breakthrough season with us, and then he had games with Vidic and Ferdinand, and he looked so calm and composed for someone his age. Bring in a big character who can command the CBs and that is where I feel we will see the best of him.

Kakeru

I think he is like Pique where he thrives the most off a leader beside him. His best games were in his breakthrough season with us, and then he had games with Vidic and Ferdinand, and he looked so calm and composed for someone his age. Bring in a big character who can command the CBs and that is where I feel we will see the best of him.
Man... In any domain, one cannot always hope to have a leader nearby in order to thrive. At some point, the individual has to take the reins on his own. Smalling's growing older and so he should be in a position of commanding something in the United hierarchy by now. If he can't bring that kind of presence, then what is he doing here?

The same thing is being said about Evans and it is not pretty at all.

SiRed

I have never seen a more woeful player for us than this clown (and i saw Ralph Milne)
Seriously - every time he plays the commentator mentions how it wasn't long ago he was playing non-league football and i ALWAYS instantly think ''well yeah he should have stayed there''

He really is abysmal and its an embaressment that he plays for us.
When he has to much time on the ball he slows down and asseses his options before panicking under the pressure of nobody before deciding the best ball available is someone in an opponents shirt.

When he doesnt have time on the ball he trips over the fcker or just boots it out for a throw in.

He turns at a slower rate than Mertasacker. He isnt particulalry a good defender (though some will argue that he is due to one decent performance in Munich last year)

Fulham did well to get 10 mil (same price we paid for Jaap Stam might i add) from us and i really think that now is the time to say

'you no what, we bought him as he had potential to grow but he has been here 4 years now and he hasn't improved a jot despite having the best centre back pairing ever as a mentor. Lets just get rid of this brain dead moron'

ZDwyr

I have never seen a more woeful player for us than this clown (and i saw Ralph Milne)
Seriously - every time he plays the commentator mentions how it wasn't long ago he was playing non-league football and i ALWAYS instantly think ''well yeah he should have stayed there''

He really is abysmal and its an embaressment that he plays for us.
When he has to much time on the ball he slows down and asseses his options before panicking under the pressure of nobody before deciding the best ball available is someone in an opponents shirt.

When he doesnt have time on the ball he trips over the fcker or just boots it out for a throw in.

He turns at a slower rate than Mertasacker. He isnt particulalry a good defender (though some will argue that he is due to one decent performance in Munich last year)

Fulham did well to get 10 mil (same price we paid for Jaap Stam might i add) from us and i really think that now is the time to say

'you no what, we bought him as he had potential to grow but he has been here 4 years now and he hasn't improved a jot despite having the best centre back pairing ever as a mentor. Lets just get rid of this brain dead moron'
:lol:

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
He absolutely plays with no brain. His marks Monreal on the first goal, and go on OX to close him when there are Valencia and Rojo on him, leaving space behind him. How the hell is he that far on Ozil on this action ?

He's an absolute nightmare and we'll never progress with him in the defense

darko

He absolutely plays with no brain. His marks Monreal on the first goal, and go on OX to close him when there are Valencia and Rojo on him, leaving space behind him. How the hell is he that far on Ozil on this action ?

He's an absolute nightmare and we'll never progress with him in the defense
I agree. He's completely clueless for a player who's been a professional for that long. His mistakes are schoolboyish. i don't like him and he needs to go.

Mali_Zeus

He hates to have a ball at his feet, always panicks with it, and yesterday he panicked nearly every time Arsenal players were in front of him. He's not a young player anymore who has potential, some of the bad things in his game he already should have polished.
Worst part is he's the best of the bad bunch although I think Rojo has potential.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
Jones is better defensively, Evans is equal with Smalling with a confidence near 0... We should get rid of Smalling and Evans this summer, but having an upgrade like Rojo won't be enough

Because we’re very tough with Smalling, but Rojo except giving the ball back to De Gea or throwing long balls to Fellaini is not much better than Smalling….

And we still have to play Costa, Aguero, Sturridge, Kane this season….

Dr Baltar

I said a few months ago that he was brainless, costs us games & we could not progress with him at the back. Results & performances backed me up yet everybody said that I was drunk & on a wind up.
There's been some kind of agenda on here the last few months & anybody that said anything against Smalling was called an idiot or accused of not watching the games.

I really struggle to think of many worse defenders to have played for us in the last twenty years. Evans & Jones are not any better but they haven't had the deluded fanboys noshing them off all year.

Getsme

I said a few months ago that he was brainless, costs us games & we could not progress with him at the back. Results & performances backed me up yet everybody said that I was drunk & on a wind up.
There's been some kind of agenda on here the last few months & anybody that said anything against Smalling was called an idiot or accused of not watching the games.

I really struggle to think of many worse defenders to have played for us in the last twenty years. Evans & Jones are not any better but they haven't had the deluded fanboys noshing them off all year.
Trust me you’re far from the only one, when you have a poster saying that Smalling has had a better 18 months than Hummel’s or that Smalling is our best Centre back by miles, then there really is no point in continuing in discussion with those posters as opinions are so far apart it’s only going to go one way.

Smalling is an ok defender, he makes as many mistakes if not more than most of our players yet he gets away with murder on here (outside of here he is regarded by many as our weakest defender) His mistakes are usually attributed to someone else’s error, or simply ignored while otheres are villified for the far less damaging mistakes. It’s a weird one as some posters seem to want other CB’s to fail so Smalling can stay in the team (or that’s how it feels at times)

ZDwyr

He makes less defensive errors than Evans and Jones. That is why he gets praised so highly, because in comparison to those two he is the much, much better defender. I know he has had some poor moments, but he has been better than those other two. He and Rojo are our best CBs I (still) think.

Getsme

Still our best CB. Everyone has an off night now and then, and his was y'day (and the Man City game). But this over reaction and asking him to be dropped/sold is just silly. His general performances over the season have been fantastic.
This is the overhyping I was talking about, fantastic, come on FFS? He’s been ok, and that’s at a push.

Bwuk

How can anyone want a starting defender for us who can barely control a ball.

Putting it out there, Smalling is an ok defender, but as a footballer? He's awful. His passing, control and touch are all poor. His size and pace are his major assets.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
How can anyone want a starting defender for us who can barely control a ball.

Putting it out there, Smalling is an ok defender, but as a footballer? He's awful. His passing, control and touch are all poor. His size and pace are his major assets.
Made a big mistake yesterday with a heavy touch under no pressure. Stuff like that makes it hard to see him ever being a really top class defender.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
This is the overhyping I was talking about, fantastic, come on FFS? He’s been ok, and that’s at a push.
Depends on what standard you want to be at, for a mid table/battling for top 4 standard he's been good. Don't think he could cut it as a title winning or champions league winning centre back. If we've dropped our expectations that's fine let's keep him but if we want to battle it out for the top European and domestic trophies we need to do a lot better than Smalling. Maybe the fans are getting used to the mediocrity of the last season and half that's why Smalling is getting so much praise.

Dr Baltar

Trust me you’re far from the only one, when you have a poster saying that Smalling has had a better 18 months than Hummel’s or that Smalling is our best Centre back by miles, then there really is no point in continuing in discussion with those posters as opinions are so far apart it’s only going to go one way.

Smalling is an ok defender, he makes as many mistakes if not more than most of our players yet he gets away with murder on here (outside of here he is regarded by many as our weakest defender) His mistakes are usually attributed to someone else’s error, or simply ignored while otheres are villified for the far less damaging mistakes. It’s a weird one as some posters seem to want other CB’s to fail so Smalling can stay in the team (or that’s how it feels at times)

Exactly. Completely baffles me.
I never want one of our players to have a nightmare & it's not his fault that he's been hyped so much by people on here but every game in which he's been rubbish I log on here expecting the penny to finally have dropped. There's either no mention of him or people making excuses.

Bwuk

Made a big mistake yesterday with a heavy touch under no pressure. Stuff like that makes it hard to see him ever being a really top class defender.
Exactly. I mean, if I did that for my sunday league side I'd be crucified. Yet people persist with someone doing that at the top levels of professional football?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
There was a moment later on while playing LCB that I understood Van Gaal's wish for a player that is at least left foot comfortable to play in that position. The ball came to him very square and he had pressure from, I think, Welbeck honing in on him. A left footed player turns it quite comfortably outside and plays it to his fullback, as a predominantly right footed player he found that manoeuvre very difficult and the last thing he wanted to do was play it onto his right foot which would have been very dangerous if he was tackled or intercepted.

The safest thing to do, and what players at a lot of other clubs would do is Row Z it but with the possession system it's discouraged so he looked very uncomfortable and almost cost us.

Skills

Snitch
There was a moment later on while playing LCB that I understood Van Gaal's wish for a player that is at least left foot comfortable to play in that position. The ball came to him very square and he had pressure from, I think, Welbeck honing in on him. A left footed player turns it quite comfortably outside and plays it to his fullback, as a predominantly right footed player he found that manoeuvre very difficult and the last thing he wanted to do was play it onto his right foot which would have been very dangerous if he was tackled or intercepted.

The safest thing to do, and what players at a lot of other clubs would do is Row Z it but with the possession system it's discouraged so he looked very uncomfortable and almost cost us.
He's never played as a LCB. England U-21s Jones was always the LCB, same here at Utd and even Rio used to move to the LCB role when partnered with Smalling. It's just dumb playing him there with his deficiencies on the ball.

Classical Mechanic

Yeah, the only defender we have with the ability needed for this system is Evans but he seems positively afraid when he is playing these days.

Ironically Pique would be perfect, a player that was derided for many years for not being able to 'defend' like a player like Jones can. Times change.

Dr Baltar

I'd be reluctant to take him even at a mid-table club. He's not a good defender & he'd still be clueless & make the same mistakes at a lower level team.
Wes Brown could be just as erratic but I think even he showed more promise when he was here. He's had a nightmare at Sunderland & his flaws have been even more pronounced since being there.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
Get this Donkey out of this club. Im tired of us carrying players like him. He's past the age where he's given benefit of the doubt. I have never been convinced by him and as a matter of fact the only time i started being impressed by him is his short spell at right back he had. Him and Evans need to be shown the door, and Jones thrown out so he's teetering on the edge with the clubs strong arm weighing down on his throat being told to sort himself out or he will be shown the same fate. Sick of this pissy, nervy attitude and calamity defending their all doing.

Getsme

He's taken on the mantle left from Rio/Vidic and become our best CB. He's a fantastic CB. He's strong in the tackle, good in the air, quick, and reads the game well.
That's just bollocks, pure and simple.

izec

Accident waiting to happen. Always the same, one mistake early on and he loses it. He is so nervous, i could never trust him week in week out to deliver.