6.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards

DevilRed

If him and Jones actually had ONE injury free season we might win some trophies.

Great partnership in the making. Jones is slightly behind in reading the game but Smalling is showing maturity over the last few weeks.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Solid - has been the entire season barring that one moment of madness against City.

Macern

Pee pee pants
Smalling has improved drastically throughout the season. Not only is he positioning himself better defensively, but he has improved a lot on the ball too. I must admit I never tought that would happen. I have a lot of faith in him and Rojo. Smalling needs to stay injury free or he will go back to his previous level.

m1y2

Great performance in big game, I guess this is what we asked from him.. Stay fit and confident, Chris and you could be the best center back in the league

Revan

Assumptionman
He's doing a very good job. I still think that we need an another defender, but Smalling is doing well. Hopefully, he makes a good partnership with Rojo in the next 8 matches.

NoLogo

Our best defender tonight imo. Kept his calm in every situation and was always there when it counted.

His dribbling in the second half I think surprised everyone including his own team mates who just seemed to stand there and watch like "wtf is going on with this guy?" :D

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Our best defender tonight imo. Kept his calm in every situation and was always there when it counted.

His dribbling in the second half I think surprised everyone including his own team mates who just seemed to stand there and watch like "wtf is going on with this guy?" :D
:lol: Reminds me of Phil Neville doing the stepovers and everyone laughing at him.

ForlansHair

You can see why Michael Owen rates him as the best centre back he trained with while he was here.

He has absolutely everything needed to dominate teams. Immense today. He looks so assured when defending compared to Jones, who gives me the yips whenever he goes anywhere near the ball.

He seems to have tried to develop his passing. He played some fantastic long range sweeping passes today.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Love him. I genuinely don't think he's put a foot wrong since that calamity of a display against City. He makes slight positional and marking errors on occasions which all defenders do every game, but he's just so incredibly solid overall. I never felt nervous seeing quick, powerful players like Sturridge, Balotelli and Sterling running at him. He kept managing to show them away from goal, and he always seems to win the kick-and-chase race. Physically he is perfect. Enormous presence, but blistering quick. Severely underrated, even amongst United fans. I don't think I know anyone outside of the caf who doesn't think he's useless. Those godawful RB performances have really given him a lasting reputation.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Smalling has clearly grown in confidence over the last few weeks. His long passing has improved and he is even charging out of defence with the ball - and doing it sureprisingly well. He even got a couple of goals a few weeks back.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Smalling's looking like the player he was a few years ago. Couldn't have happened at a better time either.

Skills

Snitch
Love him. I genuinely don't think he's put a foot wrong since that calamity of a display against City. He makes slight positional and marking errors on occasions which all defenders do every game, but he's just so incredibly solid overall. I never felt nervous seeing quick, powerful players like Sturridge, Balotelli and Sterling running at him. He kept managing to show them away from goal, and he always seems to win the kick-and-chase race. Physically he is perfect. Enormous presence, but blistering quick. Severely underrated, even amongst United fans. I don't think I know anyone outside of the caf who doesn't think he's useless. Those godawful RB performances have really given him a lasting reputation.
He was never even that bad there. Defensively, he was still among the best. See the home against Arsenal last season where he single handedly shut down that right hand side and completely took Cazorla out of the game. He's just a classy defender.

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
He must be a strikers nightmare when on form. He's rapid, strong, great in the air and good at reading what an opponent is gonna do. One of the first names on the team sheet for me.

SambaBoy

Another good performance from him. He really is hard to beat in one on one situations and he's only going to become a more rounded defender. His surging runs forward are class but sometimes just gets the ball caught under his feet which can be dangerous in the wrong part of the field.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
He was never even that bad there. Defensively, he was still among the best. See the home against Arsenal last season where he single handedly shut down that right hand side and completely took Cazorla out of the game. He's just a classy defender.
Defensively he was decent. Solid in one-on-ones as always. I think his passing and moving with the ball has improved massively, quite probably from being exposed to playing at right back. He often did look horribly clumsy out there though. I do remember some pretty naff performances from him out there. Hard to blame him completely, as it's just not his position anyway. Very glad Van Gaal is not even considering him out there, so it seems.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
I always feel it was really detrimental to both Smalling and Jones being played at RB so much. I don't think it is any coincidence that now they are finally getting a run of games at CB (and staying fit) that they are both playing at a much higher level (although I am still not entirely convinced by Jones).

PvsNP

Hopefully, Smallingbauer keeps up this great form. He definitely has a future here.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Pulled out another pinpoint 40 yard pass again today!

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Epic determination. His arc this season amazing.

From dressing like Bin Laden to being a pillar of defense... perhaps an unquestionable leader of formation someday.

Acole9

Outstanding
He is getting better and has improved this season. I think he's now ahead of Jones in terms of development.

ghagua

Just a matter of time to prove what a good player he is. He just needed to stay fit and played in his proper position. SMH at posters who even now suggest that we get rid of him. Clearly the best defender we have at the club at the moment. I really like his partnership with Jones right now, hope we continue with that partnership as long as they both stay fit.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Just a matter of time to prove what a good player he is. He just needed to stay fit and played in his proper position. SMH at posters who even now suggest that we get rid of him. Clearly the best defender we have at the club at the moment. I really like his partnership with Jones right now, hope we continue with that partnership as long as they both stay fit.
Yeah it startles me when you see people talking about how we should be signing some new young CB prospect just because they look solid in the Dutch league (for example).

I expect we will sign a new CB, but it needs to be a proven, world class established player, otherwise just stick with what we have.