Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards

Raoul

Admin
Staff
He's turning into some player. Makes it a bit easier for LvG to focus his transfer priorities elsewhere.

Rykker_4united

Supports
Keep Rodgers at Pool.
He doesn't need replacing at all. Unbelievable defender, one of the best in my opinion. He's a tough, no nonsense centre half and I have immense faith in him long term.

Skills

Snitch
He is getting better and has improved this season. I think he's now ahead of Jones in terms of development.
That's always been the case. He always looked a level above him for the England U-21s and he's just far more talented. Doesn't mean Jones can't/isn't a good player though. Smalling's size, athletic ability coupled with his aptitude for defending is unique.

ghagua

Yeah it startles me when you see people talking about how we should be signing some new young CB prospect just because they look solid in the Dutch league (for example).

I expect we will sign a new CB, but it needs to be a proven, world class established player, otherwise just stick with what we have.
Honestly don't mind a experienced center back or a great young prospect, but not at the expense of Smalling.

Shimo

Been class recently and again today. Needs to take up yoga with Jones if he hasn't already. He needs to stay fit.

Acole9

Outstanding
That's always been the case. He always looked a level above him for the England U-21s and he's just far more talented. Doesn't mean Jones can't/isn't a good player though. Smalling's size, athletic ability coupled with his aptitude for defending is unique.
I think in terms of talent Jones is better but talent only gets you so far hard work is also required too. I agree with you about Smalling, you can see he clearly loves defending which is great.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
:lol: I wish they hadn't, maybe Mario would have done something stupid to get sent off.
Yeah I was hoping for that too. I felt safe with Smalling in that situation that he wouldn't do anything stupid. If it had been Balotelli vs Jones or Rojo though I would have been a bit worried :lol:

BringNaniBack

Leaves a bullshit trail behind him
Our best CB by a mile as ive been saying for the past 2 years. I still actually think LVG may go for Jones and Rojo when all fully fit though which would be completely the wrong thing to do.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Yeah I was hoping for that too. I felt safe with Smalling in that situation that he wouldn't do anything stupid. If it had been Balotelli vs Jones or Rojo though I would have been a bit worried :lol:
Jones wouldn't hurt a fly.

Ekeke

Glad to see he is finally getting the praise he deserves. He's not and never has been the problem

There's space for someone top class next to him and whoever that is, they'll greatly appreciate the support Smalling gives them defensively and with his pace.

Was nice to see Balotelli bouncing off him as well. Both Smalling and Jones are looking more powerful in their physical battles

Sylar

Hes also building confidence in terms of running out with the ball into the space. Started last match and hes picking out some good passes. Long may that continue (something Rio offered when he first joined us). Smalling on the defensive side looked solid as ever and I never thought we would concede from a cross or a long ball near the end due to him being there (helped we also have Jones and Fellaini who are strong in the air)

Nickosaur

Glad to see he is finally getting the praise he deserves. He's not and never has been the problem

There's space for someone top class next to him and whoever that is, they'll greatly appreciate the support Smalling gives them defensively and with his pace.

Was nice to see Balotelli bouncing off him as well. Both Smalling and Jones are looking more powerful in their physical battles
Here here.

He's been made the fall guy too often over the last few seasons, due to some incredibly fickle fans. He's certainly been guilty of a few brain farts, but how many defenders aren't? His defensive game is supreme.

My only gripes with him are his ability on the ball (which by the way, is nowhere near as bad as some on here would say - but it is often rash) and his injury record.

Blue always red

Showing some of that form going forward that he showed when he was ripping teams like City apart at RB in his first season. I still remember him canning City down the right in the charity shield match.

El-Manos

He is starting to regularly hit some good long balls now too.
Yup, noticed that recently. Definitely worked on that in the last few weeks. In truth, he's a good defender. Don't think he'll be leaving in the summer anyway.

SirAF

Ageist
He's definitely a favorite of mine - so happy to see him assert himself in the team.

ZDwyr

I love Smalling, one of my favourite players, and I thought he was good. However I think he was poor for the Lallana chance which could have been a goal.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
#SmallingPlusOne - this season and beyond. Is England's best for my money, and fitness permitting, can establish himself as the best in the league by next season if allowed to just continue playing.

MelvinYeo

I'm only here for the post count
He has the Ferdinand knack of being at the right place when defending balls into the box, be it headers or intercepting at the near post. Our most consistent defender and it has to be him plus another for me.

thejtrain

He's a beast isn't he? Reads the game absolutely well, makes crucial interceptions and dominates in the air. What more could one ask of a CB? The only thing he was terrible at was the passing and in general doing anything half decent with ball at his feet, but I must admit he's improved a lot on that too!

Djemba-Djemba

Dominant today, looked like the player we hoped he'd become when we first got him.

Just hope he stays fit now for the rest of the season and really nails down that first team spot.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Sorry but I don't care how good he is on the rare occasion he's not injured.

We can't rely on him.

Magnificent today but you just know in the next few games he'll be out again.

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
Sorry but I don't care how good he is on the rare occasion he's not injured.

We can't rely on him.

Magnificent today but you just know in the next few games he'll be out again.
His injury record is overstated, in only one season here has he played less than 30 games. And that's without ever being first choice for us.