Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards

Skills

Snitch
Ivanovic gets away with that kinda shit everytime I watch him. Good defending.

Ekeke

Covering for a dodgy partner, he's done very well like usual. He's even played some very nice passes into Van Persie's feet which is a bit surprising

It could have been a penalty on Ivanovic, although Rojo was doing exactly the same thing on his man right next to him. It could be argued that its the type of defending we havent been doing enough of without Vidic. Well in that instance both were being quite rough and luckily we got away with it

Sam

Said if before, and I'll keep on saying it, he's better then Jones.

DevilRed

Solid so far but lets see how he gets on in the second half. Thought Rojo was definitely the weaker of the two and more mistake prone. The aerial battle is Smallings bread and butter so going up against drugba might actually be better than say an aguero.

Eugenius

If anyone remembers this, I recall Drogba doing the exact same thing to Wes Brown a few years back to let Terry score

Rossa

He handled the situation vs Willian brilliantly and has been very sharp, as soon as Drogba gets the ball he closes him down, this is the Smalling I like to see.
He never loses those duels against fast players - on a stretch he always catches them. Plus, his anticipation and reading of the game in those one on ones is sensational. Passing is much, much better today.

NinjaFletch

I know he gets hate, but has he ever actually looked bad as a centre back at United.

We know he's not very good on the ball, but as a defender he's the best we've got and proven it in difficult situations. If only he could stay fit.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
As usual the fickle caf can change its mind on a player faster than Gerrard goes to ground when an opponent is within 10 meters.

In Smallings first season at the club he was heralded as the new Rio Ferdinand - a "Rolls Royce" of a defender.
Suddenly (and just to throw it out there - after having inconsistent gametime and being played out of position) he apparently has the technique of a pub player and we should be selling him.

A good performance today and he is our best defender again.

I am in the pro-Smalling camp. I think he and Jones complement each other well and should be our first choice partnership (as well as Englands, in a year or two). The both of them need regular gametime in their natural position (and to stay fit) however.

Rykker_4united

Supports
Keep Rodgers at Pool.
MOTM in my opinion, and looked like a real leader at the back. He was incredibly vocal and organized the defence. Encouraging performance.

MelvinYeo

I'm only here for the post count
I know he gets hate, but has he ever actually looked bad as a centre back at United.

We know he's not very good on the ball, but as a defender he's the best we've got and proven it in difficult situations. If only he could stay fit.
Agreed. The only mistake I can remember he has made that cost us a goal was the title decider against City. Hasn't let us down in any big games that he has played.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Fairly solid defensively today. Looked more reliable than Rojo.

Rossa

He can't pass for shit. But he's on another level defensively from Jones.
Again, his passing today was very good - even sublime at times. So he can pass... people judge him too much from him playing at RB, which admittedly he doesn't have the close control to do well.

Sam

Again, his passing today was very good - even sublime at times. So he can pass... people judge him too much from him playing at RB, which admittedly he doesn't have the close control to do well.
He's okay when you give him 40 yards of space, but apply any pressure to him and he's terrible on the ball. Just smashes it.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Our best defender by a mile.

Sure he could be more composed on the ball, but defending is what counts first.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Smalling >Jones

feck bringing the ball from the back. We need people who can defend.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I agree with you on this, he has an awkward body position on the ball and that seems to give a false impression of his technique, now I'm not saying he's pirlo but he played some beautiful passes today.

saivet

I noticed he played a couple of brilliant passes today which was a surprise. Good performance from him.

Very good I thought. His strength and pace were exactly what we needed against Drogba and Hazard. Rojo made more mistakes than him out there but Smalling was alert to cover them up. His passing from the back was good today as well. He wasn't resorting to the aimless hoofing we seen from him in the past. Encouraging display, but just like our other defenders he is potentially brilliant if he stays fit.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Hope he shut a few of his doubters wrong today
Thought he was our best defender overall

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
It takes very little to get excited by him only for him to get injured the next week and disappoints you.

Get In Scholesy

I think he's our best defender to be fair to him. Probably my man of the match, looked unfazed today. He had a strong and intelligent display, hopefully he can get better and kick on from here.

Glanville95

He just doesn't get beaten in 1v1 situations. I had the utmost confidence in him when Willian was running at him, as you rarely see him beaten and he has pace in abundance for a centre back.

He needs to start, as he's our best centre back and compliments Jones and Rojo far better than the two compliment each other.