Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
He started running off when his number came up, despite there being a Swansea played stood there. He's an idiot. Far too slow at distributing the ball as well.
No, it was when Fellaini was stood there being subbed on for Herrera. He obviously thought his number was held up. 21 and 12 have the same numbers after all!

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Explain to me why he's better than Jones.
I can't. Then again I can't tell you why Jones, undoubtedly, is better than Smalling. They're both raw. They haven't featured enough for us. And now they're featuring in a three man line back there which is unusual for both them and us.

Smalling is excellent one-on-one for my money. It's not easy to get past him and he will make it hard for anyone in an aerial challenge. He's positionally dubious. His reading of the game seems less than perfect. Exactly the same could be said for Jones. Well, with the addition that Jones seems less composed than Smalling one-on-one. He does seem more dynamic, though, more agile, even.

Both lack plenty in terms of - to quote Paul Scholes - "sniffing out danger". The latter being THE trait of a top class centre half. Rio Ferdinand (one of the players we have to replace in order to get back to having the best defense in Europe) had this in spades. Even as a youngster, prone to all sorts of bollocks due to youthful arrogance, he had it - the sometimes seemingly uncanny ability to just know where you need to be when the opponent attacks.

Jev

The man is not a footballer. For me, we should have taken the Vermaelen swap deal. There's a limit to how crappy a defender can be allowed to be on the ball, and Smalling is so horrible it makes me laugh. Especially with this new formation which basically makes him our playmaker. It's a disaster.

Bojan11

What about Jones/Evans, also get rid of them?
Yes, if all three can't stay fit, I'd get rid of two.

Pointless having injured CBs always. When we really need a consistent CB partnership rather than chopping and changing every week. If they can't stay fit, what is the point of keeping them?

Glanville95

Our passing from the back improved after he went off.
Even if he didn't pick up an injury he should have been either substituted or switched positions with Jones. He had so much time and space on the ball to drive forward and that's just as bad in many ways, as he's so uncomfortable there and takes far too long to release the ball.

He's a good option if we want to drop off and defend the space in behind, but if we have to take the initiative and speed up the tempo, it's far better having Evans or Jones and the central defender, as they are more adept at the sweeping role and pressing forward.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
The man is not a footballer. For me, we should have taken the Vermaelen swap deal. There's a limit to how crappy a defender can be allowed to be on the ball, and Smalling is so horrible it makes me laugh. Especially with this new formation which basically makes him our playmaker. It's a disaster.
Smalling is our most naturally talented defender at the club. His *defending* is top notch.

I dont understand why he has been played in the middle of the back three (the one expected to bring the ball forward). If Smalling played RCB and Jones played in the middle it would be better all round.

Jev

Smalling is our most naturally talented defender at the club. His *defending* is top notch.

I dont understand why he has been played in the middle of the back three (the one expected to bring the ball forward). If Smalling played RCB and Jones played in the middle it would be better all round.
Personally I don't rate him that much as a defender either but obviously others do.

I just think that you have to be a truly exceptional defender to justify being such a lousy footballer, and Smalling is by no means an exceptional defender. He does not belong in a United XI.

goin4glory

His defending has never been superb. He's played in the centre of the back three because the wide CB's regularly get dragged into wide positions and have to play 1v1 vs wingers or forwards where Smalling would look like a dear in the headlights. Both Jones and Blackett are far more athletic and capable of those toles than he is. If Smalling doesn't improve his distribution from defence his days playing for United or any top club are numbered as modern day football is moving more and more towards two way footballers and away from CB's who only want to win headers and hoof long clearances.

m1y2

he is the last person to put a blame on. he did his hamstring. He was on par with Jones in first half. He could grow into the match as Jones did and always does..

Dominos

He was doing good until he got injured..
He is the biggest victim of perception bias out of our entire squad, and there's quite a few contenders.

He can find his team mate with every pass, control every ball perfectly, not concede possession once in the game and we'll have people coming on here after the match to tell us how poor he is on the ball. Maybe he doesn't look classy enough for some people but he sure as hell is nowhere near as bad on the ball (when played as a centre back) as is made out on here.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
His defending has never been superb. He's played in the centre of the back three because the wide CB's regularly get dragged into wide positions and have to play 1v1 vs wingers or forwards where Smalling would look like a dear in the headlights. Both Jones and Blackett are far more athletic and capable of those toles than he is. If Smalling doesn't improve his distribution from defence his days playing for United or any top club are numbered as modern day football is moving more and more towards two way footballers and away from CB's who only want to win headers and hoof long clearances.
You are joking?
Smalling defends wide positions against wingers etc fantastically.

Oo0AahCantona

This is why he will never be the backbone of a future united title winning side. he is injured far too often to be reliable.

goin4glory

OMG that's why you didnt rate Smalling the other time, calling Smalling slow is one of he most unaccurate/dumbest things I've ever heard, you clearly havent seen how he put up with the likes of Sterling/Ribery/Agbonlahor.
You're correct and in fact I'd wager no one has ever seen Smalling go up against Sterling since it's never happened. He didn't play in either of the derby games vs Liverpool last season and played an entire 10mins in one game vs Liverpool over the two derby games the previous season when Sterling wasn't on the pitch.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
You're correct and in fact I'd wager no one has ever seen Smalling go up against Sterling since it's never happened. He didn't play in either of the derby games vs Liverpool last season and played an entire 10mins in one game vs Liverpool over the two derby games the previous season when Sterling wasn't on the pitch.
Pre season lol.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
If you think Smalling is slow you clearly need your eyes testing. He is probably up there with Koscielny as being the quickest CB in the league IMO.

goin4glory

0:25, and watch this vid, and tell me he is slow.
Smalling doing what he usually does, retreats and retreats until the edge of his box then makes a last ditch tackle. It's not surprising that some casual fans don't get understand that modern CB's in progressive systems need to be two way players and Smalling just isn't, he plays 5 yards deeper than everyone else which gifts forwards space and then somehow gets credit when he makes a block or tackle. There's a reason he'll be benched once LVG can bring in a few more capable players.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
Smalling doing what he usually does, retreats and retreats until the edge of his box then makes a last ditch tackle. It's not surprising that some casual fans don't get understand that modern CB's in progressive systems need to be two way players and Smalling just isn't, he plays 5 yards deeper than everyone else which gifts forwards space and then somehow gets credit when he makes a block or tackle. There's a reason he'll be benched once LVG can bring in a few more capable players.
That's not the point, you were saying he is slow, do you still think he is? Dont need that other discussion with you once again.

goin4glory

That's not the point, you were saying he is slow, do you still think he is? Dont need that other discussion with you once again.
Of course he is. Not putting yourself into a position to ever get exploited isn't disproving it especially when it's to the overall detriment of the team

Dominos

:lol: How anyone can watch Smalling over a number of years and come the conclusion he's slow.

He's obviously not unbeatable one on one, like anyone he can be done by sharp movements, but if any attacker tries to beat him in a footrace over a decent distance he'll show them up.

Danny Boi

You'd swear some people in here never actually watch United play and take one look at Smalling size and come out with lazy comment about how slow and cumbersome he is when he is actually plenty fast for a defender.

People also do the same thing when talking about his football skills.They look at his height(which obviously makes him look a bit clumsy) and come with stupid about how awful he is on the ball.Sure he's not a great ball player but he's nowhere near as bad as people make out.

surf

He did not look comfortable moving forward into space with the ball in the first half. He kept stopping and putting out his palms as if asking what do I do now? Jones would race on and attack the space.

DeMono

Another injury. I hope Jones stays fit, he is the better defender.

I don't understand how you can a hamstring injury? If you stretch properly in the warm-up, this won't happen. I will understand if you get it at the end if the game.

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
The type of player usually playing for the likes of Sunderland. And when a few suggest 'taking a punt' others reply that he's not United level.

ZDwyr

Wasn't there a rumour that he was injured heading into the game? If that is the case I can see why we risked him. We had no one else other than a very very inexperienced Keane. Anyway, I thought he was going alright until he got subbed. He wasn't spectacular or anything but it wasn't dreadful like that dross in front of him.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
The thing I noticed watching tonight's game, was how the likes of Gerrard and Fernando drop deep, pretty much into the back line, to give the CBs options to pass to.

Now granted if we play 3-5-2 there IS more expectation for the central CB to take the ball out himself, but I really do think that Smallings passing deficiency is exaggerated, and if we had Carrick or Herrera fit then it wouldn't be something that people would notice, as those are players who will show for the ball and give options to pass to.