Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Agree with all of that. Absolute monster and virtually unbeatable when he's on it. No way should Rojo have a spot secured in the team going forward by virtue of being left-footed.
While I did think the Rojo and Smalling was the best partnership, Jones has come in recently and done really well too. You don't change a winning team in my eyes, and Rojo will have to wait his turn to get back into the team.

Knowing Jones/Smalling 1 of them will end up injuring themselves soon :annoyed:

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
In a perfect world, we'll get him to sign a contract, he'd continue to put in obviously dominant performances, he'll cut out the mistakes... and everyone else will still think he's rubbish.

Count Orduck

Smalling has started pretty much every game he has been fit I believe, and I think LVG is becoming a real fan of him. I was worried he would be dropped when Rojo came back, but it just shows how impressed he must be with him recently as he is going against his left + right foot policy.

I would be absolutely gutted if he did leave, as in my eyes he is the best CB in the league on his day IMO.
Agree with all of that. Absolute monster and virtually unbeatable when he's on it. No way should Rojo have a spot secured in the team going forward by virtue of being left-footed.
Wasn't Jones on the left against Spurs and Liverpool? It'd be him that was dropped for Rojo or Evans if so.

RedorDead21

In a perfect world, we'll get him to sign a contract, he'd continue to put in obviously dominant performances, he'll cut out the mistakes... and everyone else will still think he's rubbish.
He's pretty much a laughing stock as is Ashley Young and many others at the club. But so were Fletcher and park and other mainstays of trophy winning teams. Once opposition fans have an opinion on a player its impossible to shift it.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
He's pretty much a laughing stock as is Ashley Young and many others at the club. But so were Fletcher and park and other mainstays of trophy winning teams. Once opposition fans have an opinion on a player its impossible to shift it.
Smalling is a laughing stock?

Sid234

The main reason Arsenal are linked to him so often is that they were competing against us to sign him from Fulham. So media assumes Wenger will never stop trying to sign Smalling.

RedorDead21

Pretty much I live in London and as soon as his name is mentioned its all jokes. For example an Arsenal fan at work has been getting ripped by everyone from West Ham to Chelsea fans about being linked with Smalling. West Ham fans think he's a poor mans Reid!

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Pretty much I live in London and as soon as his name is mentioned its all jokes. For example an Arsenal fan at work has been getting ripped by everyone from West Ham to Chelsea fans about being linked with Smalling. West Ham fans think he's a poor mans Reid!
I think he means opposition fans love to make fun of Smalling and even Jones as overrated players
He is for most opposition fans, along with Evans and probably Jones as well
I didn't realise that. All the opposition fans I've spoken to about Smalling all rate him highly. Pretty much the only United defender they'd take.

Sid234

I didn't realise that. All the opposition fans I've spoken to about Smalling all rate him highly. Pretty much the only United defender they'd take.
Most of my Liverpool and Arsenal supporting friends think he's just a tall, dumb defender who is good in the air and that's it. Obviously they are basing this off some of his bad performances, and like someone said earlier in the thread, once they make up their mind about an opposing player, very hard to change it.

They think our defense has been terrible this season when the truth is we are the 3rd best defense in the league ( I know a lot of credit goes to DDG for that but still)

RedorDead21

Well down here all I can say is they'd rather take a beating than take Smalling.

They said the same about De Gea for the first 2 seasons mind but he's so strong now they have had to move on to saying he's Madrid bound instead.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Most of my non-United supported friends also think Smalling is shite.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
A few idiotic Manchester United fans I know still don't rate him. The masses on Twitter probably don't, either.

Skills

Snitch
A lot of rival fans I know also just about happen to be among the biggest set of morons to have walked this planet. I feel you guys are having the same experience.

Nickosaur

To most people 99% of our players are crap - I mean look at Carrick! People still don't rate him.
I've got a few footballing mates who seem like knowledgeable guys but still don't rate Carrick. I just can't take them seriously anymore.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
This is news to me too. Most people I speak to outside of the Caf all think Evans is fecking gash, Jones is overrated but Smalling is actually quite good.

RedorDead21

To most people 99% of our players are crap - I mean look at Carrick! People still don't rate him.
Yeah and Herrera is already getting it as well. To be honest you cant have a sensible argument as even if we get Pogba and I say "a midfield of Carrick, Herrera and Pogba and I'd be happy"...to any non United fan Pogba is the only one in there they wouldnt laugh at!...same all over the team, same when we were winning everything in sight.....and I had Arsenal fans down here telling me their midfield of Fabregas and co dicked on ours....on paper perhaps but never worked out that way.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
I've got a few footballing mates who seem like knowledgeable guys but still don't rate Carrick. I just can't take them seriously anymore.
There's obviously something about Carrick that just isn't appreciated by some. It's not like it's just the normal bloke in the street that doesn't rate him but pretty much every England manager during his career hasn't thought much of him either.

Shimo

Don't care what opposition fans think of him in truth. He is bossing games right now and of he stays healthy, see no reason why it won't continue. With his confidence if driving forward with the ball and improved passing, he is perfect for LVG system. Teams over the season have tried to stymie us by putting people on our holding mid and our CB looked a bit clueless as what to do. Now with him we have a player that can break that pressure by simply taking the ball up while being covered by the likes of Carrick or whomever else is being man marked out.

Couple that with his strength in the air and speed - be glad no one wants to buy him or try turn his head.

RedorDead21

There's obviously something about Carrick that just isn't appreciated by some. It's not like it's just the normal bloke in the street that doesn't rate him but pretty much every England manager during his career hasn't thought much of him either.
He doesnt score. Thats basically it. Gerrard and Lamps always going to look great in comparison. Scholes scored the odd worldy and chipped in most seasons. If you dont score you aint rated by rival fans as your basically not mentioned on MOTD!

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Someone that can stay fit for more than half a dozen games in a row would be a start.
We may be getting there, personally, probably contrary to many on here, I'd be quite happy for any 2 out of Smalling/Jones/Rojo to be our regular centre-back partnership. The key is to form a partnership and understanding. Ie injuries being the stumbling block so far

BringNaniBack

Leaves a bullshit trail behind him
The problem is the rare few times Smalling, Rojo and Jones have all been fit and even Evans. Smalling has been dropped to the bench. Will it happen again? He is our best CB but I feel Van Gaal prefers Rojo and Jones for some reason, I hope im wrong.

Sid234

I think Van Gaal loves Jones' all or nothing approach, plus he's better on the ball compared to Smalling, atleast he used to be.

But Smalling's passing and decision making has really improved this season.. We need to settle on a preferred CB pairing, and I think once Rojo is fit, we should see him and Smalling start more often though him and Jones make a very good duo at the back

Every rival fan I know think that every centre back that United have is crap. Smalling included.
They love to hate us, and the sum total of their exposure to Jones and Smalling is 2 or 3 games where they played at right back or central midfield back in 2012.

RedorDead21

They love to hate us, and the sum total of their exposure to Jones and Smalling is 2 or 3 games where they played at right back or central midfield back in 2012.
Jones said the other day they have been partned together at CB 4/5 times in 4 years.....

Jones said the other day they have been partned together at CB 4/5 times in 4 years.....
Unsurprising if thats true.

Im not convinced either of them will make it here, especially Jones, but the level of unfounded hatred for them throughout rival fans is ridiculous.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Point is simple, really. All of Smalling, Evans and T.G.H.B.E. are injury prone. So it would be reckless not to reinforce. We could easily end up with the same old problems next season.

Rojo is still unproven, I guess - so he stays. We bring in someone - someone who is of a certain standard and who is not injury prone. Meaning that we can - or should, I guess - move one out of the three mentioned on. Has to be Evans, then. Certainly not Smalling, who may have his flaws, but still. Hardly a defender out there these days without flaws.

If we're comfortable with limiting the chances of the likes of McNair and whatnot, we could even keep Jonny. If experience has taught us anything, it's that four potential starters at CB ain't enough for us.