Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Member 93275

Such a great defender. Basically Manchester United's Van Dijk. Authoritative, fast, physical, great marker, great in the air - both in defense and attack (corners, free kicks), and when he intercepts the ball, gives it to a player better at advancing the play. The only problem with him, is that the level at ManUtd is so high, it can't be accepted sometimes attackers beat defenders, so every time that happens to a defender, he's found out and a fraud.

Backrow Singer

Thought he was OK, fair play to him. Looked like he cared at least, he obviously did it the hard way football wise and I think those values stay with you.

Got his boot on the ball at some crucial times tonight.

Sylar

Least of our problems right now. Funnily enough, after last season, I thought if we could get somebody like Toby in, and partner him up with maybe Baily, we would be good. But hes easily our best defender and he does that by default by just being fit to play games.
Good thing is hes added attacking the ball when our set pieces dont hit the first man or go into the keepers hands, and when crosses are put into our own box, hes at his best.

Acole9

Outstanding
He gets a lot of stick on the forum but you can't knock his performances this season. Come across really well in the interviews I've seen.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Feel sorry for him honestly, he's having to cover at least 2 positions for every game.
And if he dare make a mistake, slip up or anything then most of the fanbase is ready to call him gash

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
There was this play, where Ayoze against Matic, and he just knocked the ball pass Matic. Then Smalling came closing in, and Ayoze didn't bother to try anything but just smashed the ball at Smalling for a corner.

I just thought it was funny.

Loublaze

ATLien
There was this play, where Ayoze against Matic, and he just knocked the ball pass Matic. Then Smalling came closing in, and Ayoze didn't bother to try anything but just smashed the ball at Smalling for a corner.

I just thought it was funny.
I remember that. He closed him down very quickly as well considering his starting position. Had a good attempt on goal too.

meninred

Smalling is okay as backup defender - as simple as that.

Ashley R1+O

Feel sorry for him honestly, he's having to cover at least 2 positions for every game.
And if he dare make a mistake, slip up or anything then most of the fanbase is ready to call him gash
He could be sold and fans would still blame him for the goals we concede.

He's singlehandedly holding this defense together.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I remember that. He closed him down very quickly as well considering his starting position. Had a good attempt on goal too.
He's really striving with a partner that can pass the ball well. Blind, and now Matic possibly. Just leave him with all those defending chores.

Yeh, that shot could be better but it was a very decent one.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
He could be sold and fans would still blame him for the goals we concede.

He's singlehandedly holding this defense together.
Exactly, a new partner every week as well as new fullbacks every game too.
Him, DDG & Shaw are the only ones in our defence who have played well this season.

SteveW

I'm sure there are still people out there who want him sold and think Bailly and rojo are much better. Some people just cant be helped

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He has been a one man wall for most of the season, if only he had a competent partner I wouldn't be half as worried going into games as I currently am.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Doesn't get much help, is he? I do think his new cut has made him a bit less risk averse and more confident. I like that.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
We'd be in even more trouble without him if we had to rely on Bailly and the like. A one man defence a lot of the time.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Imagine if we had a CB that was not only as good as him but slightly better than him next to him week in week out... a man can only dream. Sleep tight Mourinho

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He’s the only useful centre half we have.

Until the next time Bailly has a good game and some will again claim he’s our best defender.

I’d not care if we sold any other centre half in the squad.

Alabaster Codify7

If he had a world class partner, we'd have the meanest defence in the league with DDG behind them. His partners are diabolical at the moment. I like him, he's not world class but he's serviceable and puts a shift in.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
I really think he's shit, but I'm definitely now aware he's the best we have. That really worries me.

At this stage, I think I'd take Gary Cahill if Chelsea are selling.

Devil may care

Strange day for him, went through more partners than Ric Flair on a good night in the 80's.

Havak

Pokemon master
Not his best game yesterday, but I think it was mostly down to our poor start and lack of confidence in the first half. Everyone was poor.

Overall though, he and Shaw were decent over the course of the 90 minutes and a few other players grew into it. Unfortunately Young, Bailly, McTominay, and Matic were all rather poor for the majority of their time on the pitch IMO which led to a lot of pressure on our defence.

Giggsy92

It's weird to think that he didn't start the season as first choice given he's clearly the only CB Jose now has any level of trust in. At least he and Shaw have now established themselves as mainstays, just need to sort the other two places out...

arnie_ni

It's weird to think that he didn't start the season as first choice given he's clearly the only CB Jose now has any level of trust in. At least he and Shaw have now established themselves as mainstays, just need to sort the other two places out...
He was recovering from an injury at the start. He would definitely been first choice if he was fit. He's been first choice for every manager since rio and vidic left including lvg

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He was recovering from an injury at the start. He would definitely been first choice if he was fit. He's been first choice for every manager since rio and vidic left including lvg
Agreed, he's definitely Mourinho's favourite and deservedly so, for a start he's the only one who seems to be regularly available.

Ekeke

I'm not sure thats true. Theres been plenty of times the season has started with someone else and Smalling had to take the chances he got, and would go on to become first choice CB.

We've heard Mourinho joke about Smalling on the ball and have a hard on this summer for new CBs and make comments about playing Mctominay at CB because "he has quality on the ball and we think thats important". I think Jose is thinking like the posters on here who want better distribution from the back. I think both are wrong, but the signs are there that its what he's thinking.

In his quest to do something about that Mourinho has completely destabilized our defense and Smalling has had to come in to provide some solidarity while all else is crumbling. And Fellaini helped too on days when our opponents were playing long balls and trying to win it in the air a lot. I guess that allowed Smalling to take up a good position to deal with runners and any flick ons that transpired, instead of attacking so many long balls himself and nobody being there to clean up.

Anyway, like the other seasons where Smalling hasnt looked like first choice at the start - the other players havent taken their chance to take his position long term. They haven't done well, Smalling has come in and done better so like normal he's established himself as first choice.

Andersons Dietician

If he had burried that half volley, He’s actually pretty good in the oppos box still that chest and volley from a few weeks ago, in my mind that is already goal of the season.

@Ekeke he was coming back from an injury because if you recall Jose was taking side swipes at him about how he wasn’t available And people like Bailly made themselves available even tho he was injured in pre season, had that weird talk about how it was unfair for the young boys.

Bobski

Thought he was a bit off yesterday, the first time this season where his game has notably dropped under the pressure of playing with a villain of the week as his partner(s). It must be a mental challenge for a CB to constantly have no trust in your partner, Newcastle were just targeting, Bailly, McTominay and Matic in every attack they had with Smalling having to expect a mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.