Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
So did Fellaini was pivotal for LVG. You can't separate Fellaini and Smalling, His inability to play from the back force him to pass back whenever pressured, and it force De Gea to hoof more often than not , no one else better than Fellaini as hoof ball target, domino effect that caused our slow and lethargic football under both LVG and Mourinho. I am quite sure Ole rated Lindelof , Bailly and Jones above him. Others need to be down injured or having poor performance before He could start. With our current style, it's Lindelof + 1, and we sure wish that 1 is Bailly instead of Smalling or Jones
Nah.. it's actually DDG weakness of hoofing the ball to nowhere, even when there are no Smalling and Fellaini.

manunited1919

He’s been our best defender for several years now. If we are to have a chance against PSG, I hope he is up to speed by then. He can help keep Cavani in check.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Smalling’s deficiency on the ball have become snowballed into something that is nowhere near as inhibitive as portrayed.

‘Smallingbauer’ once upon a time!

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
That was quite a break from football. Hopefully he'll be carefuly injected back into the squad.

No further injuries and maybe he'll help in reaching that top 4.

Not sure why this myth of Smalling not suited to playing high up the pitch came about. Just because he's been our best under Mourinho with a deep-lying line, and he's our best in the air, doesn't mean that's the only way he can play.

His best ever season (which was also easily the best any of our defenders have had since Rio and Vidic) came in the season that we played the highest line since he's become a first teamer. He has always played at his best when he's defending on the front foot, aggressively dominating strikers with his power and pace, rather than sitting deep and letting them come to him. None of our other defenders have ever come remotely close to how well Smalling played that season.

The defensive high line will suit Smalling perfectly. The only question of course is related to his lack of ball-playing ability. Also the fact that he may be expected to play on the left (or that Lindelof will have to move to the left).
It comes from watching him play. Playing a high line requires good reading of movement and runners. Smalling is brilliant if he's got a single striker to focus on, but he doesn't read runs very well.

In that season he was good because he could focus on attacking the ball and Blind was there to sweep up. With the protection of midfield too it mean't it was fairly simple defending for him. In a team that pushes and attacks we need defenders who can marshal their side of the pitch from all angles.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
we need defenders who can marshal their side of the pitch from all angles.
You mean how Smalling has covered that whole right side after playing with greats at RB such as Valencia, Young, Darmian, Mensah etc. At the same time mostly had to cover mistakes from his ever switching partner on the left side? Yeah, I think it is fair to say he deserves to play along side the only other defender we have had who finally seems to have shown he has something about him.

SiamDevil

Considering all the crosses last night, was hoping Solskjaer would sub him on and stick him up front.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
As far as I know he’s back (was on the bench last week) but maybe Ole simply doesn’t rate him. Personally I think we look better without him.
We haven't particularly missed him yet, but almost everyone has looked improved under Ole. I'd be keen to see Smalling get a few games and judge from there. I'd still rather he was on the pitch over Jones any day.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I’m confident that it isn’t a case of not being rated by Ole. Especially not without getting a chance. By all accounts, he’s very highly rated by the United lot.

Maguire won everything in our box today. We could have done with him.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I can't see him getting back in against Fulham because tactically that would be a strange move. We will likely dominate the ball and chances so you'd expect us to start with more comfortable ball players.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Of course we have, we are terrible on set pieces.
Fair point, but would he alone massively improve that?

I'm a fan of his and I hope we get to see him in Ole's system, but I do think the team overall is requiring a great deal of defensive coaching, particularly at set pieces. We seem largely unprepared right down to nobody seeming to know who to mark.

Negan

I am praying Lindelöf and Bailly don’t make any mistakes just so I don’t have to see this guy back in the team.

It’s not surprising to me that we haven’t lost in the past 10 games he hasn’t played.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I can't see him getting back in against Fulham because tactically that would be a strange move. We will likely dominate the ball and chances so you'd expect us to start with more comfortable ball players.
Yea, let’s make Eric fecking Bailly face the best header of the ball in the league! Mitrovic will be licking his lips if Smalling doesn’t play.

Kag

We lost aerial duels on just about every corner and set piece today. We’re woeful at them primarily because our centre halves can’t head the ball. The sooner Smalling gets back into the side the better.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Fair point, but would he alone massively improve that?

I'm a fan of his and I hope we get to see him in Ole's system, but I do think the team overall is requiring a great deal of defensive coaching, particularly at set pieces. We seem largely unprepared right down to nobody seeming to know who to mark.
Of course he alone wouldn't improve us massively, but for example he surely wouldn't lose header with the likes of Evans when marking individual players like Bailly did today, so it would make us look better in at least some situations.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Of course he alone wouldn't improve us massively, but for example he surely wouldn't lose header with the likes of Evans when marking individual players like Bailly did today, so it would make us look better in at least some situations.
Yes, Bailly on Evans today was particularly terrible.

Bailly generally is a frustrating player. Very good at some things, but terrible at the fundamentals, like heading and marking.

manunited1919

We lost aerial duels on just about every corner and set piece today. We’re woeful at them primarily because our centre halves can’t head the ball. The sooner Smalling gets back into the side the better.
This

CM

I'd like to see him back in the side for Fulham. It's a good opportunity to reintroduce him but we also miss his aerial presence as previously mentioned.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
This is one huge myth, the same how Jones is good defender but he has fitness problems.
Smalling is our best defender in air but with him we had also huge problems there. With him in defence( not saying that it was his fault) we conceded tons of goals after set pieces. I would rather that we keep playing Bailly with Lindelof.
In some way i like Mike, he is very good solution to have especially against weaker teams which play hoof ball but he is not solution for first 11 for next season.

Kag

This is one huge myth, the same how Jones is good defender but he has fitness problems.
Smalling is our best defender in air but with him we had also huge problems there. With him in defence( not saying that it was his fault) we conceded tons of goals after set pieces. I would rather that we keep playing Bailly with Lindelof.
In some way i like Mike, he is very good solution to have especially against weaker teams which play hoof ball but he is not solution for first 11 for next season.
It’s not a myth. We’d have lost yesterday if Maguire and Evans head the thing on target. Smalling wins lots of aerial duels and clears lots of crosses that the others can’t.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
It’s not a myth. We’d have lost yesterday if Maguire and Evans head the thing on target. Smalling wins lots of aerial duels and clears lots of crosses that the others can’t.
I agreed that he is our best player in air but we were shaky with him also. It is not that he will solve our problems with corners.

A-man

I too agree that Smalling is good in the air, but you lose other parts of the game with him. Now there was a win and a clean sheet, from a result point of view it couldn’t have gone better. Maybe it would’ve been a different result with Smalling, you never know.

Watching West Ham-Liverpool right now and I can tell Liverpool having problems at setpieces despite VdV who is strong in the air.

Canagel

Not really. We defended well enough.

Bwuk

Come as no surprise to me we’ve been able to play higher up the pitch and start attacks better without Smalling playing.

We’ve not missed him remotely under Ole.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Come as no surprise to me we’ve been able to play higher up the pitch and start attacks better without Smalling playing.

Mourinho got replaced with Solskjaer, that is why we are playing with more attacking freedom, not because Smalling isn't playing. We have no way of knowing what you just said, because he hasn't played a minute under Ole yet. I don't think you can say we already manage to play much higher up the field though with our defence, when we are defending we do it pretty deep. Getting Smalling in there would only help to relieve the pressure when we are being pushed back.

The thing is Smalling is strong, fast, good in the air and excellent 1vs1 and I do think we have missed him, albeit not by lack of offensive output. He is quite good at picking the safe pass when pressured but not the best if asked to be more free and adventurous with his passing, and he also struggles with composure when the ball is at his feet which is an area I think Bailly has improved on. I'm not remotely scared of introducing him to this high flying team

ash_86

Where the heck is he? Not seen one pic of him since Ole joined.

Bojan11

Smalling is no slouch when it comes to speed.

A-man

It will be good to have Smalling back. He has skills that the others don’t. But at the same time I think we should acknowledge that the players on the pitch have done a good job instead of complaying about “ifs and buts”. One draw and the rest wins, that is the stats since Ole came. I dont see how that could have been done much better with Smalling.

For me the concern right now is to not lose the midfield after the first goal. Even if United have excellent players for counter attacks, the team should dominate the midfield for 90 minutes against most teams in the PL. If United can dominate matches there is more need for ball playing CBs than CBs who are strong in the air.

Where is he? He was supposedly fit again for Burnley but hasn't even made the bench yet?

Kostov

Smalling is no slouch when it comes to speed.
I don't think he's referring to his speed though, rather his limited ball handling. Playing higher not only required to be fast so you can recover and play high line, but also the CBs must be comfortable on the ball so they take care of it when put under pressure by attackers. Just my guess though.

EDIT: I'm not saying Smalling can't do it neither, but it is a could point by @Bwuk

haram

Just tells me we need to sign a CB who is both good on the ball and in the air. Smalling shouldn’t be starting next season.

I don't think he's referring to his speed though, rather his limited ball handling. Playing higher not only required to be fast so you can recover and play high line, but also the CBs must be comfortable on the ball so they take care of it when put under pressure by attackers. Just my guess though.

EDIT: I'm not saying Smalling can't do it neither, but it is a could point by @Bwuk
You also have to have greater awareness of runs outside your immediate field of view, particularly down the flanks. Sitting deep means you can be focused much more on what's directly in front of you which is a style Smalling seems to prefer.

Status
Not open for further replies.