Christian Eriksen | Signs for Inter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silas

Have Spurs been linked with any potential replacements?

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Have Spurs been linked with any potential replacements?
Not that I am aware of. In fact to be honest I don't think we have been linked with any players at all. Different times now in the club as what used to be a long list of information being leaked out about players has completely stopped.

Silas

Not that I am aware of. In fact to be honest I don't think we have been linked with any players at all. Different times now in the club as what used to be a long list of information being leaked out about players has completely stopped.
Interesting, thanks. Suppose things may pick up a bit after the CL is out of the way for you.

stepic

Assuming Pogba stays, where would be fit in? Could he play alongside him in a 3? Or on the left wing?

Mcking

Assuming Pogba stays, where would be fit in? Could he play alongside him in a 3? Or on the left wing?
We could play 4-1-4-1 with Pogba and Eriksen as the attacking midfielders or Pogba could play in a two with Eriksen as the attacking midfielder. There is also the obvious option of a 4-3-3 too, but the key would be getting a solid defensive midfielder and relying on the manager to make it work.

Art Vandelay

Yeah, Eriksen is very hard working and could fit in alongside him if we got the right defensive midfeilder to help them out. Alternatively Pogba could try playing like an actual midfielder and Eriksen could play as a 10. Also he can play on both wings although it's not ideal and importantly gives us the option of dropping Pogba when he plays shit.

Although I don't think Pogba will be here and Eriksen would be an upgrade anyway if we could get him.

Womp

idiot
We'd probably be better off selling Pogba to buy Eriksen and compliment him with a proper DLP, tbf.

Code-CX

I’d love him here, but with the state we’re in there’s no way he’d join us.

Mainoldo

Some of you guys baffle me. If we sell Pogba and sign Eriksen. Nothing changes just the a new creator to provide to our rubbish attack. We need them both.

Redderp

I’d love him here, but with the state we’re in there’s no way he’d join us.
I think that there is a chance to sign him if Real and Barca says no to him. We are still a much bigger club than Spurs, especially in Denmark. It’s a bit difficult to explain, but Danes don’t rate Eriksen as highly as other top tier Danish players because he is playing for Spurs. Lots of Danes still like someone like Daniel Agger over Eriksen because Agger played for Liverpool. When all is said and done and Eriksen retires he might regret not playing for a big club. I don’t think non-Danes(or non-Scandinavians) realize how much bigger United is than Spurs.

So i don’t think that it’s completely unlikely that Eriksen wants a new challenge and that his last contract should be in a bigger club than Spurs.

Johan07

So the cost of - sorry, "investment" in - Martial was only £30m? The poster in #348 said £46.5m, assuming his other add-ons are not brought into play. No club is going to pay double that - £93m - for Martial.
Martial was £36m basic fee without add-ons. Today CIES values him at 70-90m EURO. His value has more or less doubled from what then was a overpriced deal to begin with. And its not like he has overperformed either I think we can all agree on. His spiked value is not due to performance; its due to the inflation of the transfermarket.
It is also a good example of why its not a cost to invest in a young player; it really is an "investment"; there is really no need to try to be ironic about basic financial theory. It makes you look more like an idiot than you usually do on here.
United has never hesitated to invest in a young player because of the transfer fee and we dont have a "transfer budget" this summer either. What we do have is a wage bill to consider as does Spurs. Yours is just way smaller and wages will rise because of the inflation of the transfer market. You have done well to combat this so far but its going to take some real manouvering to manage the next two summers due to whats happened in the transfer market the last couple of years.
The new stadium was a must for you long-term because it generates cashflow which will to an extent offset the larger wages you will have to pay going forward. You will have to pay it off first though as Arsenal has done and it set them back. Still the right decision long-term though for both clubs. You should have done it earlier and you probably would have with a richer owner than Levy.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Martial was £36m basic fee without add-ons. Today CIES values him at 70-90m EURO. His value has more or less doubled from what then was a overpriced deal to begin with. And its not like he has overperformed either I think we can all agree on. His spiked value is not due to performance; its due to the inflation of the transfermarket.
It is also a good example of why its not a cost to invest in a young player; it really is an "investment"; there is really no need to try to be ironic about basic financial theory. It makes you look more like an idiot than you usually do on here.
United has never hesitated to invest in a young player because of the transfer fee and we dont have a "transfer budget" this summer either. What we do have is a wage bill to consider as does Spurs. Yours is just way smaller and wages will rise because of the inflation of the transfer market. You have done well to combat this so far but its going to take some real manouvering to manage the next two summers due to whats happened in the transfer market the last couple of years.
The new stadium was a must for you long-term because it generates cashflow which will to an extent offset the larger wages you will have to pay going forward. You will have to pay it off first though as Arsenal has done and it set them back. Still the right decision long-term though for both clubs. You should have done it earlier and you probably would have with a richer owner than Levy.
What is the point in ignoring the add-ons you've had to pay? You've paid, according to the United fan poster I cited, a total of £46.5m. And as I've said, no club is going to pay you double that for Martial, despite your claim otherwise.

It's not a net cost to invest in a young player if they develop and do well. Otherwise you'll likely lose money, regardless of the creative accounting that you clearly like to engage in.

PS. Levy is not the owner of Spurs. He's one of the major shareholders, but not the biggest.

Johan07

What is the point in ignoring the add-ons you've had to pay? You've paid, according to the United fan poster I cited, a total of £46.5m. And as I've said, no club is going to pay you double that for Martial, despite your claim otherwise.

It's not a net cost to invest in a young player if they develop and do well. Otherwise you'll likely lose money, regardless of the creative accounting that you clearly like to engage in.

PS. Levy is not the owner of Spurs. He's one of the major shareholders, but not the biggest.
I did not claim anything. I quoted CIES which is IMO the most reliable player when transfer values. Its called making an argument and providing basics for it.
You claimed that no one would pay double what we paid for Martial without providing any basics for that claim.
You see the difference? No, of course you dont.

Loublaze

ATLien
Eriksen would be foolish to join United when Spurs are clearly a better team at the moment. Money talks I guess

Johan07

And one last thing. This would be true in a settled market. But the European football market is not. Its my entire point. If you bought a promising young player two or three years ago: He is worth more today just due to the market inflating. We could sell Pogba and Martial this summer and make a net profit on them offsetting the wages we have paid them even. And its not like those two has performed or "developed". The opposite probably.

Judas

Open to offers
Can’t even begin to believe this is a possibility. No idea why he’d make the move or hugely doubt Spurs would sell him to us, instead of abroad.

Money would really be talking, we’d have to be offering him insane wages and them a crazy fee.

Johan07

Can’t even begin to believe this is a possibility. No idea why he’d make the move or hugely doubt Spurs would sell him to us, instead of abroad.

Money would really be talking, we’d have to be offering him insane wages and them a crazy fee.
50m and 350k a week would be my guess. Thereabout. Spurs are not going to sell him to us though and he probably does not want to come here anyways. What will be interesting is if Real spends their money elsewhere. I personally think he will end up there or at Bayern who really needs someone like him.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Eriksen would be foolish to join United when Spurs are clearly a better team at the moment. Money talks I guess
I think the purpose is money now not who’s the better team. He’ll be foolish to actually staying at Spurs at his prime age with only 75k p/w. He’ll be looking for to join a club who can give him good amount of money unless Spurs decides to offer him a more than 200k p/w based salary.

Loublaze

ATLien
I think the purpose is money now not who’s the better team. He’ll be foolish to actually staying at Spurs at his prime age with only 75k p/w. He’ll be looking for to join a club who can give him good amount of money unless Spurs decides to offer him a more than 200k p/w based salary.
In that case his agent should be talking to other CL clubs in Europe.

Johan07

Its probably both tbf. There are probably just 7-8 clubs in Europe that can afford Eriksen and none of them are bad teams.

Johan07

That’s fine but the point is that he will leave Spurs for higher wages.
How we look at wages will be revamped this summer when Eriksen, De Gea and Hazard signs new contracts. There is no way that either of them signs for less than 350k a week.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
How we look at wages will be revamped this summer when Eriksen, De Gea and Hazard signs new contracts. There is no way that either of them signs for less than 350k a week.
Other player aren’t my concern though. My point is that Eriksen will leave Spurs for higher wages. 75k p/w isn’t enough for a player in his current age & quality.

Hawks2008

Levy wouldn't sell to us, unless he has a release clause I don't see it happening.

gajender

Levy wouldn't sell to us, unless he has a release clause I don't see it happening.
Levy is a businessman if Eriksen wants to come here with his contract situation we can certainly pull this off and this notion Levy wont sell in the league was laid to rest when Walker was sold to City may have to overpay but it's certainly possible.

Paolo Di Canio

"we have to realise it's a doggy dog market"
It would be nice if we picked these players up earlier in there careers.

Eriksen from Ajax, Sanchez fro Udinese, Ibra from Ajax

We always seem to go for them too late

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
I think that there is a chance to sign him if Real and Barca says no to him. We are still a much bigger club than Spurs, especially in Denmark. It’s a bit difficult to explain, but Danes don’t rate Eriksen as highly as other top tier Danish players because he is playing for Spurs. Lots of Danes still like someone like Daniel Agger over Eriksen because Agger played for Liverpool. When all is said and done and Eriksen retires he might regret not playing for a big club. I don’t think non-Danes(or non-Scandinavians) realize how much bigger United is than Spurs.

So i don’t think that it’s completely unlikely that Eriksen wants a new challenge and that his last contract should be in a bigger club than Spurs.
A lot of other clubs he could go to if he was just after more cash than Spurs are offering. Juve, Bayern, RM, Barca, PSG. Levy will sell him abroad I would imagine.

I'd sign him and Dier in a heart beat.
Dier? Average footballer that offers nothing going forward. When he first moved into midfield from CB there were hopes he could grow his game but he plateaued and never really improved his passing or composure on the ball. He has his uses, a good player to have in the trenches when your team is under the pump and you want a hard tackling DM. Screening the CB's, tracking runners from midfield and breaking up play etc.

Bench player at most however, the kind of player you bring on at 2-0 up to secure the midfield. Or away at Barcelona and you want some physicality in midfield to break up play and you know you will not be seeing much of the ball.

It would be nice if we picked these players up earlier in there careers.

Eriksen from Ajax, Sanchez fro Udinese, Ibra from Ajax

We always seem to go for them too late
In the case of Eriksen he wasnt United material early in his career. Was notoriously inconsistent and went missing in games, as most young players do. Spurs have the option to buy that rough diamond because the expectation is different. Fans are happy to give players time to grow because they know the club cannot go out and splash 150mil in consecutive xfer windows on players. For United the expectation is different, just look how much of a schlacking Rashford cops in the player performance sub forum. It's like people forget he is 21 or something and want instant success.

kps88

The only way I see this happening is if we overpay massively both in terms of transfer fee and wages. And even then I'm not sure why Eriksen would pick us over another big European club. I'd rather go after players who are more attainable and genuinely want to be here.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I can see him picking us because we're the biggest stage in English football. The same goes for De Ligt too, who I can see us signing.

POF

This is where a Director of Football and some planning around squad building would come in handy. Even if one of the top 2 in Spain don't come calling, it's obvious that Spurs won't sell to United.

So, tap him up, offer him a massive contract and signing on fee, pay his agent a nice sweetener, strengthen elsewhere this summer and get him on a free in summer 2020.

The issue for United is that the need for a rebuild is so urgent, any plans beyond this summer seem irrelevant. But they need to have a plan over the next 2-3 years to rebuild this squad.

Bloedrood

Other player aren’t my concern though. My point is that Eriksen will leave Spurs for higher wages. 75k p/w isn’t enough for a player in his current age & quality.
He's only on 75k because he hasn't been willing to extend his contract at Tottenham.

Status
Not open for further replies.