Christian Eriksen | Signs for Inter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Well at the time Wilshere was good enough to play for Barcelona or something.
That one game v Barcelona surely has to be in the all time hall of fame, along with the 6 game Cleverley - Anderson axis.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
If Madrid don't come for him, why would he re-sign with Spurs? Other clubs could/would offer a better package to him...
All the signs are that he loves it at Spurs and would be happy to stay with us UNLESS his dream move becomes a reality. Money is important of course but he would likely earn just as much as Kane (£200k+) if he signs with us.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
If Madrid don't come for him, why would he re-sign with Spurs? Other clubs could/would offer a better package to him...
Spurs players repeatedly sign on for long periods with them. Kane, Alli etc.
They're comfy, love London, and the pressure is way way lower than with giants.

I expect he'll follow suit, rather than be under the microscope elsewhere.

SATA

Or maybe we could go for the poor man's Eriksen? Everton's Sigurdsson. Or am i being too harah on the Icelandic? I don't know why but i always see him as a poorer version of Eriksen. Abit like Arnautovic to Berbatov to Zlatan if you like for comparison

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Or maybe we could go for the poor man's Eriksen? Everton's Sigurdsson. Or am i being too harah on the Icelandic? I don't know why but i see him as a poor version of Eriksen. Abit like Arnautovic to Berbatov to Zlatan if you like for comparison
Didn't Siggy go for £40m TO Everton? He'd not go down in price to us!

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Or maybe we could go for the poor man's Eriksen? Everton's Sigurdsson. Or am i being too harah on the Icelandic? I don't know why but i always see him as a poorer version of Eriksen. Abit like Arnautovic to Berbatov to Zlatan if you like for comparison
Sigurdsson is a decent player and will pop up with the odd goal but he lacks the consistency of creativity and the quality on the ball that Eriksen has.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
True mate. I'm just messing around. He's not good enough for us anyway
That is the worrying thing - even players in the bracket won't help much!

It's so important we get onto the "next" batch of quality players early. Easier said than done.

Johan07

He will be sold this summer if we know he is not going to sign a new contract - at the moment it's unclear but he will either leave this summer or sign a new contract - no way will he still be here next season if he has not already renewed.
You raise an interesting point though. So what if Real and Bayern choose to spend their money elsewhere and Levy dont want to sell domestically (which is quite obvious). Is is that far off to see Eriksen stay at Spurs and then sign what would be a very, very lucrative pre-contract come January? What is Pochettino going to do? Bench him?
I am not so sure about that he will leave. It will be really interesting to see what happens with players like Eriksen, Hazard and De Gea in the summer.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
You raise an interesting point though. So what if Real and Bayern choose to spend their money elsewhere and Levy dont want to sell domestically (which is quite obvious). Is is that far off to see Eriksen stay at Spurs and then sign what would be a very, very lucrative pre-contract come January? What is Pochettino going to do? Bench him?
I am not so sure about that he will leave. It will be really interesting to see what happens with players like Eriksen, Hazard and De Gea in the summer.
I'd be fairly confident that if it becomes clear Madrid are looking at other options then Eriksen will sign a new contract with Spurs. Could be wrong of course. In the situation you describe I'd imagine we would just continue to play him (provided he didn't down tools) until he left for his new club. Would be shite though.

Suedesi

All the signs are that he loves it at Spurs and would be happy to stay with us UNLESS his dream move becomes a reality. Money is important of course but he would likely earn just as much as Kane (£200k+) if he signs with us.
Fair enough he loves it at Spurs, but he's 27 and probably this is his last contract to really earn. £200k is cheap given his contract situation. He can go to Juve and make that in net wages.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Sell Pogba and give this guy that salary. Not that he would come but its worth checking anyway !

Kaglish10

If I were Eriksen, I would sign if Spurs comes up with a better contract, regardless of Madrid interest. For you to have a say in Madrid squad, you have to be a marquee signing or a popular name and I would rather Madrid cough up the big dough than get me for cheap to ensure no Madrid's coach plays game with me like many of them did with Ceballos and even Modric before Ancelotti came in.

Bloedrood

I can't see him leave Spurs for another English club right now, doesn't suit his character. I've followed him fairly closely since his early Ajax days. He's a really modest and down to earth guy. Money has never been the main motivation for the clubs he chose, it's been more about his development and ambitions. It's why he chose Ajax over Chelsea, and why he went to Tottenham. He's also the kind of guy who's quite loyal and if he leaves wants to leave on good terms, and it'll primarily be to increase his chances to win titles. If he felt confident about this at Tottenham he probably wouldn't leave, and I think if Real, Barcelona or maybe Juventus don't come for him he'll likely extend. Barcelona used to be his dream club when he was at Ajax.

Last edited:

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Its really not. Moura stunk the place up at PSG and no one else was interested in him. PSG was not going to renew his contract which was running down and had put him on the market in the summer of 2017 already with no takers. If anything the fact that Spurs paid 25m for him is a sign of how much the transfer market has been inflated the last two years. To not understand that this fact will inevitably affect the players wages as well in a similar fashion is delusional.
Who cares about what he did at PSG? He took the step up to play for Spurs in the Prem - better than staying in some no-mark league. And at Spurs he's done well - scored 12 goals so far, including 2 in the CL.

That's the same number of goals as Martial, who cost United more than double Moura's fee ... so I'm quite happy to let other clubs pay through the nose according to some ridiculously inflated 'benchmark' figures that you've cooked up

BiggusCrickus

Best player in the Spurs team in my mind. He makes them tick. Forget Kane Forget Ali this is the main man at Spurs and i was gutted when Utd did not go for him. If we got the chance to bring him in we should. He would be like Modric when he joined Madrid he would kick on another level

Robertd0803

Signing Sigurdsson would at least stop him scoring/assisting against us so there is that.

Josh 76

I read this guy is on 75k a week.
Feck me, that's minimum wage in football terms.

unplayable

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I read this guy is on 75k a week.
Feck me, that's minimum wage in football terms.
I would fire my agent immediately if I was him. That's laughable compared to other players who are much worse.

Johan07

I would fire my agent immediately if I was him. That's laughable compared to other players who are much worse.
Who cares about what he did at PSG? He took the step up to play for Spurs in the Prem - better than staying in some no-mark league. And at Spurs he's done well - scored 12 goals so far, including 2 in the CL.

That's the same number of goals as Martial, who cost United more than double Moura's fee ... so I'm quite happy to let other clubs pay through the nose according to some ridiculously inflated 'benchmark' figures that you've cooked up
Of course it matters how he did at PSG. Performance is what sets the price in the transfer market. He was shite at PSG so no one else wanted to sign him. Drove his price down. He also had only 18 months left on his contract when Spurs signed him as well which drove his price down even more.
He still cost 25m though. I dont really know what point you are trying to make but you are not making it very eloquently.

Robbie Boy

One of my fav PL players to watch, I would love to have him here but can’t see it happening.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Of course it matters how he did at PSG. Performance is what sets the price in the transfer market. He was shite at PSG so no one else wanted to sign him. Drove his price down. He also had only 18 months left on his contract when Spurs signed him as well which drove his price down even more.
He still cost 25m though. I dont really know what point you are trying to make but you are not making it very eloquently.
Well, there's always some excuse offered as to why Spurs often manage to sign good players for relatively little money. As I've said, Martial cost United more than twice as much.

The point I'm making is that the ludicrous 'benchmark' figures put forward as to what a decent player will cost nowadays - or what absurd wages are supposedly the 'norm' today - are mostly illusions that are swallowed hook, line and sinker by some fans and some clubs. Spurs have been doing things their own way - and good job too.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Straight swap with Martial, Levy won’t complain and will take it. Martial might be talented but he doesn’t suit United style, he might end up be a world class under Poch but in return we are getting a very good creative player like Eriksen.

Johan07

Well, there's always some excuse offered as to why Spurs often manage to sign good players for relatively little money. As I've said, Martial cost United more than twice as much.

The point I'm making is that the ludicrous 'benchmark' figures put forward as to what a decent player will cost nowadays - or what absurd wages are supposedly the 'norm' today - are mostly illusions that are swallowed hook, line and sinker by some fans and some clubs. Spurs have been doing things their own way - and good job too.
Jeez. That was not the argument I was making to begin with. I have the utmost respect for what Spurs has accomplished on the transfer market and how Pochettino has developed the players that he has today.
I was pointing out that the European transfermarket has blown up over the last two or three seasons and that it will sooner than later reflect on players wages. This is not an opinion, its a fact. It is basic economic theory. The alternative is that the transfer market resets itself for which there is no inclination at all for now. Quite the opposite in fact.
That was the argument I made and you replied with the fact that Spurs got Moura on the cheap and made this about Spurs and Poch making some good deals, which I do not deny at all. What will be Spurs problem is to keep up with the increase in wages that follows from this development. We are seeing that with Eriksen now. We can revisit this thread this summer when he signs a 350k a week deal with Real or Bayern.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum

Hate to interrupt a good argument, but I'd suggest looking up transfer fees before you make a point, and then reiterate that point.

Martial cost a total of £43.5m, £36m up front and him hitting one of the three £7.5m clauses (he'll not hit the other two) compared to Lucas's £25m, so not more than twice as much.

When you're buying a "wonderkid" the price reflects that, and it's an entirely different transfer to that of a failed transfer made by a bigger club, hence if we sold Martial now it would be more relevant to the Lucas transfer, when you're shopping at a higher end of the market and you're United things cost more than a Spurs.

Johan07

Hate to interrupt a good argument, but I'd suggest looking up transfer fees before you make a point, and then reiterate that point.

Martial cost a total of £43.5m, £36m up front and him hitting one of the three £7.5m clauses (he'll not hit the other two) compared to Lucas's £25m, so not more than twice as much.

When you're buying a "wonderkid" the price reflects that, and it's an entirely different transfer to that of a failed transfer made by a bigger club, hence if we sold Martial now it would be more relevant to the Lucas transfer, when you're shopping at a higher end of the market and you're United things cost more than a Spurs.
Its a backwards argument to begin with.
The transfer fee for Martial was an investment; not a cost. Those are two completely different things. Cost is salary, not transfer fee; if its not an older player.
Martial is probably worth twice what we paid for him today so the inclination that we overpaid for him is stupid by todays standards. We have made money on him even deducting the salary paid over the years. Same applies to Pogba,
Equally, Moura has an asset value that has doubled from when Spurs bought him, and if they sold him now they would make money on him. Not the other way around. And Eriksen even worse, which is why he is running down his contract.
This has more to do with the transfer market and money being injected in to European football than anything else.
Woodward has been ridiculed on the Caf so many times for stating the obvious: This club will always have the means to invest in a Varane. Which is completely sensible if you think about it.
This thing when people label transfer fees as cost or expenditure is tiresome. It will only constitute that if its an older player or the transfer market takes a nosedive. Which will not happen anytime soon.

Tarrou

its only because he hasn't signed a new contract though

he'll get the money back when he signs his next (inflated) contract because he'll go for free or cheaper as a result

Johan07

its only because he hasn't signed a new contract though

he'll get the money back when he signs his next (inflated) contract because he'll go for free or cheaper as a result
I would actually applaud his agent. They have taken a chance and will reap the benefits this summer. His new contract with Real or whomever will be topshelf. They have taken the risk that he would get severely injured; otherwise they will get paid in full this summer.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Its a backwards argument to begin with.
The transfer fee for Martial was an investment; not a cost. Those are two completely different things. Cost is salary, not transfer fee; if its not an older player.
Martial is probably worth twice what we paid for him today so the inclination that we overpaid for him is stupid by todays standards. We have made money on him even deducting the salary paid over the years. Same applies to Pogba,
Equally, Moura has an asset value that has doubled from when Spurs bought him, and if they sold him now they would make money on him. Not the other way around. And Eriksen even worse, which is why he is running down his contract.
This has more to do with the transfer market and money being injected in to European football than anything else.
Woodward has been ridiculed on the Caf so many times for stating the obvious: This club will always have the means to invest in a Varane. Which is completely sensible if you think about it.
This thing when people label transfer fees as cost or expenditure is tiresome. It will only constitute that if its an older player or the transfer market takes a nosedive. Which will not happen anytime soon.
You are being pedantic with accountant-speak. People talk about the "cost" of players all the time when referring to transfer fees. Investments require money to be spent, regardless of whether you call it cost or not. Salaries are money going out. Likewise transfer fee instalments. You can put them in different accounting boxes with different labels if you like, but it's still all expenditure.

Also, no club is going to invest (spend) on Martial twice what you paid for him.

Johan07

You are being pedantic with accountant-speak. People talk about the "cost" of players all the time when referring to transfer fees. Investments require money to be spent, regardless of whether you call it cost or not. Salaries are money going out. Likewise transfer fee instalments. You can put them in different accounting boxes with different labels if you like, but it's still all expenditure.

Also, no club is going to invest (spend) on Martial twice what you paid for him.
You dont think Martial is worth 60m in a reality where Everton paid 50m for Richarlison?

Johan07

This so untrue so I dont know where to begin. The easiest example is Pogba. If we do sell him this summer we will have made money on him. Same goes for Martial. If you dont understand the difference between asset/investment and cost/salary you might want to educate yourself a bit. Just a suggestion.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
You dont think Martial is worth 60m in a reality where Everton paid 50m for Richarlison?
So the cost of - sorry, "investment" in - Martial was only £30m? The poster in #348 said £46.5m, assuming his other add-ons are not brought into play. No club is going to pay double that - £93m - for Martial.

Status
Not open for further replies.