Christian Eriksen | Signs for Inter

Status
Not open for further replies.

SATA

Well if Spurs are buying that midfielder from Betis after buying one from Lyon, maybe Eriksen leaving may have some truth in it. Let's hope it's to us United

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
I don't think it's excessive given Eriksen's quality. Hazard went for similar and Eriksen is one of the best players in the league going to a league rival.
I like Eriksen and he's one of our best, but Hazard is twice the player.

With Hazard you're genuinely talking solo genius, consistent game winning talent who can transform a team on his own, you don't get that with Eriksen. You get a very good midfielder who is intelligent and adaptable with fantastic set piece delivery, but there's a reason teams pay more for talents like Hazard.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
And we're buying all of them! Watch what you say or Ed will buy you too.

It seems obvious we are interested in an attacking midfielder, it's a bit worrying though we don't seem to have an actual solid target for the position or can't seem to move forward on any one because they depend on other factors. It's a bit of a mess really.
I think it’s Fernandes who is the main target. Ole talked about *stumbling blocks* today, they will get done.

Castia

Except it wouldn’t be equal prices.

Levy sold Modric at a much more cut rate price to Real Madrid to keep him out of Chelsea.
If there are foreign teams interested then yeah Levy would obvious rather sell abroad, it doesn’t feel like clubs are knocking the doors down to get him though.

Sweech

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I like Eriksen and he's one of our best, but Hazard is twice the player.

With Hazard you're genuinely talking solo genius, consistent game winning talent who can transform a team on his own, you don't get that with Eriksen. You get a very good midfielder who is intelligent and adaptable with fantastic set piece delivery, but there's a reason teams pay more for talents like Hazard.
Fantastic set piece delivery? His set pieces are probably the weakest part of his game.

Eriksen has constantly been one of if not the best players for creativity (key passes, assists, etc.) in the league.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Fantastic set piece delivery? His set pieces are probably the weakest part of his game.

Eriksen has constantly been one of if not the best players for creativity (key passes, assists, etc.) in the league.
What? :houllier: His direct set piece ability has dropped off majorly but he still whips in a fantastic ball.

Yes, he has. He's one of the best attacking midfielders in the league, but he does not consistently win games on his own like a Hazard does.

Sweech

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
What? :houllier: His direct set piece ability has dropped off majorly but he still whips in a fantastic ball.

Yes, he has. He's one of the best attacking midfielders in the league, but he does not consistently win games on his own like a Hazard does.
Does he really though? Genuinely can’t remember the last time he did. Trippier was much better with them and Lamela is about equal although can only use his left.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Does he really though? Genuinely can’t remember the last time he did. Trippier was much better with them and Lamela is about equal although can only use his left.
He was more inconsistent with it than usual last season, but yeah he still put in some great balls. First leg vs Ajax in particular I remember him putting plenty of brilliant ones in and they were wasted.

cyberman

How's that meant to help Eriksen with his short term goals of winning trophies and playing in the CL?

Right now you're not a club well suited to those goals. He wants a move to a Real/Barca type team who are also monster clubs, but also still at the top of their game.
You asked and its a question you Spurs fans always ask on here when the answer is obvious.
Our club is on another global stratosphere to you. There's the appeal, plain and simple.
Saying yes but because its the glaring obvious answer to your question since you cant say Spurs are superior doesn't change that fact.
The difference is status between being a United player and a Spurs player is night and day. Like your patronising argument during the Rice saga earlier this year..
Little Ireland / Little Spurs
:)

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I don’t really believe it. However, 70m to reinforce us & weakened spurs. I’m still all over it.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
You asked and its a question you Spurs fans always ask on here when the answer is obvious.
Our club is on another global stratosphere to you. There's the appeal, plain and simple.
Saying yes but because its the glaring obvious answer to your question since you cant say Spurs are superior doesn't change that fact.
The difference is status between being a United player and a Spurs player is night and day. Like your patronising argument during the Rice saga earlier this year..
Oh ok, so all irrelevant, subjective shit coming from someone who is a huge fan of the club that probably doesn't remotely apply to like 99% of players? Gotcha, thanks.

Difference being that Ireland are shit and far worse than England, whereas Spurs currently are better than United. You can talk 'global stratosphere' and 'status' all you like but the reality is our players get to prove themselves at the top level of club football, yours do not.

Manchester United might be a far, far bigger club than Spurs, but you're not in a better position than we are right now, and you're no longer a top tier draw. Eriksen will have his pick of whatever club he wants to go to when he leaves, and I highly doubt you'll be top of that list.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Oh ok, so all irrelevant, subjective shit coming from someone who is a huge fan of the club that probably doesn't remotely apply to like 99% of players? Gotcha, thanks.

Difference being that Ireland are shit and far worse than England, whereas Spurs currently are better than United. You can talk 'global stratosphere' and 'status' all you like but the reality is our players get to prove themselves at the top level of club football, yours do not.

Manchester United might be a far, far bigger club than Spurs, but you're not in a better position than we are right now, and you're no longer a top tier draw. Eriksen will have his pick of whatever club he wants to go to when he leaves, and I highly doubt you'll be top of that list.
You are just a better team at the moment but we are a better club. Ironically, if one or two of your best players join us basically we might be the better team. It’s another aspect including money that you might want to consider why some of your players want to join us.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
You are just a better team at the moment but we are a better club. Ironically, if one or two of your best players join us basically we might be the better team. It’s another aspect including money that you might want to consider why some of your players want to join us.
I don't really care that you're a better club. You're a better club than lots of teams who are more attractive places for players. Of all the clubs I'm worried about our players leaving for, United are very low on the list. With Eriksen I think the likes of City, Juve, PSG, Bayern, Madrid, Barca could get him .. he'll have his pick, United? Nah. Not with your current state.

And there's zero actual substantial evidence a single Spurs player actively wants to join United.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I won’t deny much of that, the problem is, keep going the way you currently are and that status fades. I’ve never been disrespectful of United on here, unlike some United fans of Spurs but hey to be expected. The facts are would any player pick Untied over City right now, honestly? Would some possibly turn Liverpool down in order to sign for United? I very much doubt it, City are expanding on the legacy they have been building over the last decade, and honestly will continue to as long as Pep is there. Even Liverpool are pulling on, a smiley face at the end of a patronising post won’t change that. I will state again United are the biggest club in the land, it doesn’t mean it always will be.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I don't really care that you're a better club. You're a better club than lots of teams who are more attractive places for players. Of all the clubs I'm worried about our players leaving for, United are very low on the list. With Eriksen I think the likes of City, Juve, PSG, Bayern, Madrid, Barca could get him .. he'll have his pick, United? Nah. Not with your current state.

And there's zero actual substantial evidence a single Spurs player actively wants to join United.
You don’t get it.

Like I have already mentioned you are better team while we are better club. You got better team because of your players right now and if one or two of your best players are leaving to join us then they will turn us to be the better team.

Player can choose to move to another team if they think by moving to that team they can transform that team into better team, in additional they get more money as well.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
You don’t get it.

Like I have already mentioned you are better team while we are better club. You got better team because of your players right now and if one or two of your best players are leaving to join us then they will turn us to be the better team.

Player can choose to move to another team if they think by moving to that team they can transform that team into better team, in additional they get more money as well.
Mate honestly do you know how many times we have heard that? Poch leaving, joining United, Bale leaving joining United, Modric leaving joining United, Kane couldn’t turn us down joining United, wouldn’t mind Son joining United, hell I have even heard fans asking for Levy to.... join United (I jest but I did see it). The truth is, if you want to improve and weaken a title shot, you need to target City. Plain and simple, you aren’t.

The last player you got from us was how long ago? And how much effort did United have to put in?

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
You don’t get it.

Eriksen leaving to join you might make you a better team (debatable if we added Lo Celso in his stead) but it won't make you near Liverpool/City, which again .. Eriksen wants to move so he can step up to a team who can win trophies consistently. You aren't that team, the question isn't 'are United bigger than Spurs?' its 'Are United so much of a draw Eriksen will prioritise a move there when he can have his pick of elite clubs on a free?'.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Mate honestly do you know how many times we have heard that? Poch leaving, joining United, Bale leaving joining United, Modric leaving joining United, Kane couldn’t turn us down joining United, wouldn’t mind Son joining United, hell I have even heard fans asking for Levy to.... join United (I jest but I did see it). The truth is, if you want to improve and weaken a title shot, you need to target City. Plain and simple, you aren’t.

The last player you got from us was how long ago? And how much effort did United have to put in?
You're correct, but could you imagine buying a top player from us?
Even finishing 5th or 6th to your 2nd or 3rd it simply wouldn't happen. Similarly, when was the last time you made a big signing from a team even top half of the table? Either by luck or incredible judgement, you've put a good team together without getting into that sort of hassle.

However, your manager has certainly found a way to get a competitive team together. Could he have done it with us? We'll never know!
I dare say he'd have found our name alone guaranteed there weren't the bargains/prices you get away with paying.

And the pressure of United is certainly a few steps up.
If Tottenham came 5th next year, few of the press would be talking underachievement - they'd just see it as the traditional big clubs rising again.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Even finishing 5th or 6th to your 2nd or 3rd it simply wouldn't happen. Similarly, when was the last time you made a big signing from a team even top half of the table? Either by luck or incredible judgement, you've put a good team together without getting into that sort of hassle.

However, your manager has certainly found a way to get a competitive team together. Could he have done it with us? We'll never know!
I dare say he'd have found our name alone guaranteed there weren't the bargains/prices you get away with paying.

If Tottenham came 5th next year, few of the press would be talking underachievement - they'd just see it as the traditional big clubs rising again.
Again, I can’t disagree with that.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Again, I can’t disagree with that.
It will be interesting what Eriksen does.

The story linking him with us is ridiculous. Levy would make it difficult for starters, not to mention it not being wise to sell to a team who you're trying to stay ahead of. 70m, or more, for a player 1 year off being out of contract would be particularly mad from us too. Especially for those who doubt we've got the pot of money we should have.

You also wonder if he'd even fit the style of play we're trying to create.
Then you wonder if you can utilise Pogba and Eriksen together, with a slowing Matic, and green McTominay. Maybe. After all, we have Mata out there sometimes, and Mata is a bit Eriksen-lite.

I'd not be surprised to see him start the season at Tottenham, then hear talk of a megabucks renewal a couple of months in.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
It will be interesting what Eriksen does.

The story linking him with us is ridiculous. Levy would make it difficult for starters, not to mention it not being wise to sell to a team who you're trying to stay ahead of. 70m, or more, for a player 1 year off being out of contract would be particularly mad from us too. Especially for those who doubt we've got the pot of money we should have.

You also wonder if he'd even fit the style of play we're trying to create.
Then you wonder if you can utilise Pogba and Eriksen together, with a slowing Matic, and green McTominay. Maybe. After all, we have Mata out there sometimes, and Mata is a bit Eriksen-lite.

I'd not be surprised to see him start the season at Tottenham, then hear talk of a megabucks renewal a couple of months in.
Here’s hoping, again if he wants United I wouldn’t throw my toys out of the pram as long as the fee reflects the transfer.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Here’s hoping, again if he wants United I wouldn’t throw my toys out of the pram as long as the fee reflects the transfer.
I'd probably react the same way as when Mata came. Mata at that point having arguably come off a better season than Eriksen had? Arguable for sure.

Sort of thinking, erm, I think this is good, but how's he going to fit in?
Would we smack him on the right wing? Or would we do what we've been doing for a few seasons, actually have him sort of being in the middle, and having no one on the right, bar in a token fashion.

As we've barely had one player come in and either stay the same level, or improve in 6+ years, I'd worry he'd go the same way.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs

Well, to be fair, which United player over the last several years would Spurs have been especially interested in getting in the first place? And please don't say Pogba, because his attitude, work rate and prima donna-ish approach makes him not the sort of player that Pochettino would want

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Well, to be fair, which United player over the last several years would Spurs have been especially interested in getting in the first place? And please don't say Pogba, because his attitude, work rate and prima donna-ish approach makes him not the sort of player that Pochettino would want
When you've started with the likes of Dier and Sissoko in your team, I think there's more than Pogba that'd improve you.

acnumber9

He's much better at retaining possession than Pogba (though the reverse of that is that Pogba takes more risks) and works a lot harder off the ball, so actually a lot of what Pogba gets criticised for doesn't apply to Eriksen, who is a playmaker but runs his ass off even when he's not playing well.

What he does share with Pogba though (imo) is inconsistency. Eriksen can go from running the show and being an absolute joy to watch for 10 games or so, and then have a period where he's simply not having that big impact on games that you want from your star creative threat. Last season we saw far too much of that.
I think Spurs have been guilty of playing him too deep at times though to compensate for a weak midfield.

Alemar

Well, to be fair, which United player over the last several years would Spurs have been especially interested in getting in the first place?
Only your manager may answer, how could we know?

Quality-wise - Pogba and de Gea definitely, Herrera and Shaw likely, I would have thought.

acnumber9

When you've started with the likes of Dier and Sissoko in your team, I think there's more than Pogba that'd improve you.
He was positively giddy at the idea of Martial last year and telling us how much Martial would love to play for Spurs. Of course a squad that finished a mammoth four points ahead of a Utd team that had to sack their manager halfway through couldn’t possibly find room for any of our players. It makes me wonder why such a great squad, with such a great manager has amassed one point more than Man Utd over the last two seasons.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Definitely Pogba you nutter.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
He was positively giddy at the idea of Martial last year and telling us how much Martial would love to play for Spurs. Of course a squad that finished a mammoth four points ahead of a Utd team that had to sack their manager halfway through couldn’t possibly find room for any of our players. It makes me wonder why such a great squad, with such a great manager has amassed one point more than Man Utd over the last two seasons.
Was it only 4 points last season?! A season where we basically had a miserable time until Christmas, and a horrible last 2 months?

That 4 points sounds unsurmountable :lol:

EDIT - it was 5 points you fiend. That is clearly impossible to make up :wenger:

acnumber9

Was it only 4 points last season?! A season where we basically had a miserable time until Christmas, and a horrible last 2 months?

EDIT - it was 5 points you fiend. That is clearly impossible to make up :wenger:
Yeah a sight mistype. We finished four ahead the season before. No doubt Glaston will tell us it was the bricks and mortar they play in front of that caused that.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham

A season where we played in two different stadiums and lost focus in the league massively because we clearly focused on the CL final. Also a season where we didn't invest a single penny in to the squad so were at times left to the barebones, which is now being fixed with Ndombele having already been brought in and other signings like Lo Celso likely.

We all have our issues throughout the season. And what's this 'horrible two months' stuff like we didn't also experience the same thing towards the end.

cyberman

Its not irrelevant though is it? You asked why he would join United and I gave you the answer that you know is the truth but, for some reason, don't want to admit.
We are light years ahead of you globally. We are a status club. Im not saying he will join us or anything, its the fact being a United player will put you on a pedastal that Spurs will never provide.
But you knew this, you must have asked this same question ten times but is it some tribal stance that doesn't allow you to admit it?
Its like asking why would someone sleep with Kate Upton then pretending looks isn't important.
It doesnt make sense

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
A season where we played in two different stadiums and lost focus in the league massively because we clearly focused on the CL final. Also a season where we didn't invest a single penny in to the squad so were at times left to the barebones, which is now being fixed with Ndombele having already been brought in and other signings like Lo Celso likely.

We all have our issues throughout the season. And what's this 'horrible two months' stuff like we didn't also experience the same thing towards the end.
True and true. But we did basically have a 3rd season Jose for the first 4months! That has to out turd your reasons :lol:
We were rucked as soon as Ed didn't back him in the summer.

acnumber9

What about the season before that? Still getting used to Wembley? If so why will next season be different?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Definitely Pogba you nutter.
I had similar from a work guy today, basically acting like Pogba has been a massive let down.

He might not have been the all time world class star we hoped for, but he's certainly been our best player by a long margin.

Some people will always favour the badge kissing full obvious effort merchants over the more silky types.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Its not irrelevant though is it? You asked why he would join United and I gave you the answer that you know is the truth but, for some reason, don't want to admit.
We are light years ahead of you globally. We are a status club. Im not saying he will join us or anything, its the fact being a United player will put you on a pedastal that Spurs will never provide.
But you knew this, you must have asked this same question ten times but is it some tribal stance that doesn't allow you to admit it?
Its like asking why would someone sleep with Kate Upton then pretending looks isn't important.
It doesnt make sense
If we're sh!T next year and competing for 6th, when people abuse me I'm gonna say it's alright, cos "we're a status club".

Argument won. :drool:

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
It doesnt make sense
Because the reality of football is that the 'big club' brag doesn't mean half as much as you think it does. Manchester City are nowhere near as attractive as you but 90% of players will choose them over you because a combination of money and potential for success, the two factors which matter most to players. You offer money but very little potential for top titles, so players with big ambitions in the short term are not likely to choose you. On a pedestal? Yeah a pedestal to get fecking abused like Pogba does when the rest of the team is inept so the stars get blamed.

It's not a 'tribal stance', I know United are a far bigger club, but right now you're far from one of the most attractive elite clubs around, so sorry .. I'm not remotely worried about you poaching our players. Eriksen will be able to go to any elite club he wants on a free, why would he go a season earlier to a club outside of Europe who don't have a big name manager and have bounced in and out the top 4 for years? It makes no sense as a career choice.

As for your analogy .. it's more like choosing a girlfriend who isn't as good looking and isn't as stable a person, but hey she's got status and money so you're set in that regard.

edcunited1878

Because the reality of football is that the 'big club' brag doesn't mean half as much as you think it does. Manchester City are nowhere near as attractive as you but 90% of players will choose them over you because a combination of money and potential for success, the two factors which matter most to players. You offer money but very little potential for top titles, so players with big ambitions in the short term are not likely to choose you. On a pedestal? Yeah a pedestal to get fecking abused like Pogba does when the rest of the team is inept so the stars get blamed.

It's not a 'tribal stance', I know United are a far bigger club, but right now you're far from one of the most attractive elite clubs around, so sorry .. I'm not remotely worried about you poaching our players. Eriksen will be able to go to any elite club he wants on a free, why would he go a season earlier to a club outside of Europe who don't have a big name manager and have bounced in and out the top 4 for years? It makes no sense as a career choice.

As for your analogy .. it's more like choosing a girlfriend who isn't as good looking and isn't as stable a person, but hey she's got status and money so you're set in that regard.
When are Spurs going to win a trophy?

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
What about the season before that? Still getting used to Wembley? If so why will next season be different?
It might well not be, but we seem to actually be fixing issues in the transfer market at least. I also doubt we'll have a CL final to contend with, which undoubtedly was a big factor in our late league collapse.

Who is to say Ole won't have plenty more issues next season, he's hardly a proven manager. The point is we all have excuses we can turn to in order to explain bad parts of the season.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
When are Spurs going to win a trophy?
I have no idea, I'm not nostradamus.

I'd argue that if you're reaching finals you're not that far off (it's one more game) and Liverpool showed that with this season and last. We're certainly a lot closer than plenty of other clubs.

But anyway, at no point have I claimed we're some title winning juggernaut, we're clearly not. We may well win nothing for the next decade. The point is that when it comes to players leaving Spurs, I consider a number of other elite clubs as bigger threats than United currently are. So yes, you're bigger than us .. but no, I don't think many of our players will be aching to jump ship to you, Eriksen included.

Status
Not open for further replies.