Christian Eriksen | Signs for Manchester United

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Would be a good signing. Get it done!

Dominos

I honestly don't see the point. He doesn't solve any of our issues of striker, right wing, DM or deep lying playmaker.

He's an alternative to Bruno, great. Where does that leave VDB? Are we going to continue to pay VDB wages when he hasn't a hope in hell of ever playing? We finally get a manager who might actually rate him and make use of him, and he ends up deputising to both Bruno and Eriksen rendering him pointless.

We were hoping to have midfield options of a new DM, De Jong, Fred, Mctominay, Bruno and VDB. That's 6 players for 3 positions. We don't need more than 2 players per position, it just ends up with unhappy sulking players and a waste of wages.

Last edited:

DevilRed

The last 12 months?
To be fair whats that got to do with our transfer policies though?

Many thought we would push on for the title and showed the most ambition last summer because we went and signed 3 of the best players in the world at their positions.

Its disingenous to rewrite history because we had a shite season. We still brought in 3 of the most sought after players in the world.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
To be fair whats that got to do with our transfer policies though?

Many thought we would push on for the title and showed the most ambition last summer because we went and signed 3 of the best players in the world at their positions.

Its disingenous to rewrite history because we had a shite season. We still brought in 3 of the most sought after players in the world.
We're clearly a less attractive proposition this summer than we were last summer.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I honestly don't see the point. He doesn't solve any of our issues of striker, right wing, DM or deep lying playmaker.

He's an alternative to Bruno, great. Where does that leave VDB? Are we going to continue to pay VDB wages when he hasn't a hope in hell of ever playing? We finally get a manager who might actually rate him and make use of him, and he ends up deputing to both Bruno and Eriksen rendering him pointless.

We were hoping to have midfield options of a new DM, De Jong, Fred, Mctominay, Bruno and VDB. That's 6 players for 3 positions. We don't need more than 2 players per position, it just ends up with unhappy sulking players and a waste of wages.
Eriksen would be a squad player at best so the only plausible conclusion I can think of is that VDB will be sold to make way to Eriksen. Maybe we'll swap VDB for Antony or Timber.

Alternatively VDB will be played in a deeper role. However I don't think that ETH had ever played him there on a regular basis.

Godfather

He's an alternative to Bruno, great. Where does that leave VDB? Are we going to continue to pay VDB wages when he hasn't a hope in hell of ever playing? We finally get a manager who might actually rate him and make use of him, and he ends up deputing to both Bruno and Eriksen rendering him pointless.

If VDB is good enough he'll earn his place. If not (which looks likely) he'll hopefully be moved on next season.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
How much football have people been watching in 2022 if they think Eriksen is a mere backup to Bruno? He’s a comfortable upgrade from the football we have seen this year.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Seems like Bruno has zero good will amongst the United fans nowadays. I for one still rate him highly though.

Saying that I think Eriksen would be a decent start in our summer transfer business.
His level has dropped but I feel we've asked him to do things he isn't suited to because he was a talismanic figure. Needs to be high up the pitch as a false 9

peridigm

Glad Eriksen has recovered from his heart attack but why on earth would we take a gamble on a player who has a known heart problem and a defibrillator? The fact that he's not permitted to play in Italy tells you how serious his condition is.

Xaviboy

Losing out to spurs when it comes to trying to lure a player to the club.

Spurs building a good side now under Conte with his transfers

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC

We lost out to the dippers aswell.

We are done.

DevilRed

We're clearly a less attractive proposition this summer than we were last summer.
Possibly. But with some of the names we've been linked with? FDJ? If we can pull that off?

I think we should be quite pleased with ourselves.

At least we're finally signing a midfield. Its been how many years since we've addressed that area of the team?

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
His level has dropped but I feel we've asked him to do things he isn't suited to because he was a talismanic figure. Needs to be high up the pitch as a false 9
I don’t think it gets mentioned enough but he played 70 games last season. It would be more amazing if his performances didn’t drop

fps

How much football have people been watching in 2022 if they think Eriksen is a mere backup to Bruno? He’s a comfortable upgrade from the football we have seen this year.
Eriksen is to my mind a totally different player, he's a genuine playmaker. He'd do well in a Verratti way.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'

Why would a player choose a team that’s not in the Cl over a team that is? Obviously we’re a bigger club but we can’t just go of that anymore… seems a lot more players are attracted to playing in the CL. It’s like they don’t realise it could only be 1 season of it there missing out on.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
The only thing we has going for us in comparison to Spurs is that it took ages for Conte to warm to him at Inter.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
It absolutely does. Bruno Fernandes has been stinking up the place for a year and we have no alternative.
Eriksen for free makes sense.
Sure sure. But there is no way Bruno is going to be benched when the higher ups needlessly massively upgraded his deal on the eve of announcing a new manager. We can't just stockpile players - that is one of the problems of recent years, loads of players in the same positions and still gaping holes in the team.

He's a classy player, but I'm not sure this is a clever move.

Surely VdB would have to be sold then. Can't keep him on that bench for another season. And Eriksen is not going to join a club as a squad player given his age and options.

Dominos

Eriksen would be a squad player at best so the only plausible conclusion I can think of is that VDB will be sold to make way to Eriksen. Maybe we'll swap VDB for Antony or Timber.

Alternatively VDB will be played in a deeper role. However I don't think that ETH had ever played him there on a regular basis.
I don't think there's any plausible scenario in which VDB is sold this summer. So we're left with 3 attacking midfielders for 1 spot in the team. It's just poor squad planning and foresight.

If VDB is good enough he'll earn his place. If not (which looks likely) he'll hopefully be moved on next season.
Why have another season of him sat on the bench as 3rd choice in the attacking midfield role, paying his wages and letting his value plummet even further when we could just cash in now? If VDB somehow finds himself starting regularly it most likely means the Eriksen signing was pointless as he'll barely play. It's lack of decisiveness, we do not need Bruno, Eriksen and VDB fighting over 1 spot in the team.

Adisa

Sure sure. But there is no way Bruno is going to be benched when the higher ups needlessly massively upgraded his deal on the eve of announcing a new manager. We can't just stockpile players - that is one of the problems of recent years, loads of players in the same positions and still gaping holes in the team.

He's a classy player, but I'm not sure this is a clever move.

Surely VdB would have to be sold then. Can't keep him on that bench for another season. And Eriksen is not going to join a club as a squad player given his age and options.
If Ten Hag doesn't fancy Bruno, he won't play. Unless you're suggesting the board puts pressure on managers to play certain players?

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I don't think there's any plausible scenario in which VDB is sold this summer. So we're left with 3 attacking midfielders for 1 spot in the team. It's just poor squad planning and foresight.
Well the plausible alternative to that is that maybe ETH is confident to convert one of our 10s into a false 9

Adisa

Eriksen also played on the right for Spurs plenty of times. When Poch went 442. He offers flexibility.

CM

I wouldn't be mad about this one as it's a free. He's a good player and we don't have many of those. I would hope it isn't as an alternative to De Jong though.

Irwin99

Could he not drop deeper in the Europa League matches and help some of the younger players out with his experience? He'd be a very useful short term signing for us I feel.

unplayable

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
How did Eriksen perform at Inter under Conte?
I was under the impression that he didn't do particularly well which makes it surprising that they would want to work together again, especially when he would surely be one of Spurs' higher paid players.

Marcelinho87

Glad Eriksen has recovered from his heart attack but why on earth would we take a gamble on a player who has a known heart problem and a defibrillator? The fact that he's not permitted to play in Italy tells you how serious his condition is.
The fact that he is permitted to play literally everywhere else also tells you something too, he's fine, he's been cleared to play... Italy's loss.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Christian Eriksen and transfer business done, squads more than capable of challenging for the title.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
It wasn't a heart attack, it was a cardiac arrest and it's pointless speculating about these things without inside medical knowledge. People can often get ICDs and suffer no further issues, they are there are precautionary measure.

I wouldn't be mad about this one as it's a free. He's a good player and we don't have many of those. I would hope it isn't as an alternative to De Jong though.
Why would he be an alternative when they don't play in the same position?

Status
Not open for further replies.