Christian Eriksen | Signs for Manchester United

Status
Not open for further replies.

Godfather

That was the "old" us though hopefully.
Well yeah but I think it would be justified to hand out a bit of a longer contract to someone like Eriksen after the season he had and considering other clubs are in for him too. Not sure this offer would please him too much but let's see. I have a feeling he might prefer staying in London anyway.

Thepinhead

He had a really good second half of the season with Brentford — far better than anyone expected — but he was coming off the back of a bad final season at Spurs and a failed tenure at Inter which led to such a move.

I wouldn’t have said no to the signing, because I’m massively of the opinion we need as many technically gifted players who can play through the middle of the field as possible — even more so on a free — but I’m not massively bothered if we miss out to Spurs. Provided we buy someone else (in addition to Frenkie).
———————
As an aside though, I’ve always felt that Eriksen is one of those who has been around forever with a lot of football in those legs, and my quick Transfermarkt crap maths skills seem to suggest the same: over 650 matches for club and country.

For CM’s his age in the PL, only De Bruyne comes close at around 620. Henderson not too far off (a year older) at 580.
The likes of Pogba and Coutinho in the early 500s; Jorginho high 400s; Kante, Thiago, mid 400s. Etc etc
He didn't fail at Inter. Conte said the game was more tactical in Italy compared to England and Eriksen had to become better at that. Eriksen got the hang of it and was a key player the second half of the season. If Conte didn't think highly of him why would he want him at Tottenham then.?

Mainoldo

We've had loads of issues banging players on ludicrously high long contracts.

Yet people are now up in arms that we've offered a 30+ year old player with a major life condition a mere 1 year deal (actually option of a 2nd deal).
This isn’t input data; press macro = formulate contract length.

He should be offered a fixed 3 year contract or atleast a 2+1. At his age that’s financial security for him and for us it indicates our willingness to have him on board.

I understand your original point but there is logic and then theirs stupidity. For instance Cavani’s contract was logical.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Well yeah but I think it would be justified to hand out a bit of a longer contract to someone like Eriksen after the season he had and considering other clubs are in for him too. Not sure this offer would please him too much but let's see. I have a feeling he might prefer staying in London anyway.
I'm surprised he doesn't just stay at Brentford to be honest.
They gave him the opportunity to stay etc. Bigger life picture after his issues.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
This isn’t input data; press macro = formulate contract length.

He should be offered a fixed 3 year contract or atleast a 2+1. At his age that’s financial security for him and for us it indicates our willingness to have him on board.

I understand your original point but there is logic and then theirs stupidity. For instance Cavani’s contract was logical.
Financial Security? I don't think that's a relevant situation at premier league level!
In league 1 maybe.

Also we don't know if there's truth to all this talk too.
Probably journos making things up.

It'll be interesting where Eriksen would fit in for Tottenham as well. They have Kane-Kulu-Son, just bought in Perisic, and have a few other odds and sods.

Andrew7582

Financial Security? I don't think that's a relevant situation at premier league level!
In league 1 maybe.

Also we don't know if there's truth to all this talk too.
Probably journos making things up.

It'll be interesting where Eriksen would fit in for Tottenham as well. They have Kane-Kulu-Son, just bought in Perisic, and have a few other odds and sods.
Of course it matters, he will be retiring soon and will never earn this kind of money again. If he gets an injury or something else happens with his health on a 1 year deal he will regret not signing a longer one.

Giggs' right foot

Hope we don’t get him on account of the frustration I get with all the hellish misspellings of his name.

It’s not fecking Kuszczak or Błaszczykowski….

Tavern in the town

Erikson is great but we should be focusing on replacing McGuire instead. Although the Glaziers probably like the fact that it’s a free signing.

Andy_Cole

Another one bites the dust. Murtough looking just as useless as Woodward. Why oh why could we have not got an experienced director of football like spurs have who would have got things done at a world class level.

DevilRed

Would have been a nice mata/lingard replacement.

But I think he knows if he comes here, he won't play as much.

spurs would be the sentimental move but why go back if you forced a move away literally a few years ago. If I were him, I'd stay in brentford where I can play every week.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Bloody hell we can't even bag a 30 year old Erikson
Ornstein and Mullock think we are close but Spurs journalist think Spurs have better chance due to his preference to stay in london. Dont think we are out of the race yet

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
Chasing somebody who doesn’t want to be here? I’m getting di Maria vibes

roseguy64

That’s pretty much the whole point. Also, I have heard that point many times before why Mctominay plays in defense for Scotland but sorry that’s not true. If Mctominay would be a better midfielder than others or equally good then he would play in midfield for Scotland. Period. And whenever he plays in midfield occasionally he performs worse than their starting midfielders. So your point about him starting in defense doesn’t necessarily mean he is worse than their midfielders. Well he is and it shows whenever he’s picked ahead of others.

He isn’t a good defender in a 3 either. He isn’t even a defender to begin with and he certainly isn’t a better defender than Hanley, Cooper, McKenna etc. He plays there primarily because they can’t afford to play him in midfield. If he wasn’t a manutd player he wouldn’t make it in Scotland team at all. Scotland midfield comprises of players like Armstrong, Gilmour, Mcgregor, McGinn. If he was good he would break into it easily. The fact is he is neither here nor there so gets shifted around. If he’s sold tomorrow you would see him losing his place in the national team.
Do you see Tierney as a bad footballer then because he doesn't play as a LB for Scotland?

A lot of times players play in a different positions for their national team as opposed to at club level. John Obi Mikel another example.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Could definitely happen to be fair. Be weird if he went back to Spurs. Remember him moping about in that Amazon documentary looking like he’d rather be anywhere else and constantly meeting with his agent to get him out of there? Then from what I hear the stint with Conte at Inter wasn’t great.

roseguy64

Why are people upset we're offering a player who's 30 with a medical issue a 1+1 contract? Seems prudent to me. If other teams are offering him a 3yr deal then good luck to them.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He didn't fail at Inter. Conte said the game was more tactical in Italy compared to England and Eriksen had to become better at that. Eriksen got the hang of it and was a key player the second half of the season. If Conte didn't think highly of him why would he want him at Tottenham then.?
Finished 90 minutes twice the whole of his final season in the Serie A at Inter. Started 17 times. Excuse me for thinking that doesn’t quite mean “key player”.

babablue

Do you see Tierney as a bad footballer then because he doesn't play as a LB for Scotland?

A lot of times players play in a different positions for their national team as opposed to at club level. John Obi Mikel another example.
Bad example, he played as an AM for country because he was considered the most talented midfielder.

roseguy64

Bad example, he played as an AM for country because he was considered the most talented midfielder.
So he played a different position. Tierney also played a different position because Robertson is better. Doesn't detract from the qualities of Tierney.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
It sounds like ten Hag wants him as regular player. On the other hand, Eriksen didn’t work out well when playing under Conte system at Inter. It’s weird one if he chooses to play under Conte again.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
so why didn’t Ajax sign him at the time?
May be eredivise has the same rule as Serie A, which prohibiting the use of a cardioverter-defibrillator (ICD) device he has had implanted. Or they can’t meet Eriksen’s demand of wages.

phelans shorts

May be eredivise has the same rule as Serie A, which prohibiting the use of a cardioverter-defibrillator (ICD) device he has had implanted. Or they can’t meet Eriksen’s demand of wages.
Well Daley Blind in the Ajax team has an ICD so we know for a fact that Dutch laws aren’t the same as Italian. They can definitely afford the wages too, so again, why didn’t they make any attempt at signing him?

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Is there any rules relating to ICD’s for UEFA competitions?

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Anyone think eriksen will choose us? Keep seeing that he wants to stay in London but aren’t spurs the only London team interested in him? And he weren’t exactly at his best for inter under conte.

Status
Not open for further replies.