Christian Eriksen | Signs for Manchester United

Status
Not open for further replies.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Would be an embarrassment if he decided for Brentford, seeing as our manager wants him and we should have no problem beating them.
Could it be his wife wants to live in London?

Daslogisch

Supports
Ajax
We won't lose out to Brentford. No disrespect to them, but I mean really...
I think you could actually for the reasons that are already mentioned. Of course United is a far bigger club with bigger possiblities. But Eriksen was nearly dead a year ago. He's faced with a choice to stay in a place where he and his family are really happy and enjoy themselves or to go for one more huge challenge as a player.

I do think in the end he will choose the latter option, but given what he's been through you can't rule out that he's gotten other perspectives on his life and carreer. Which would be fair enough by the way.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
I think you could actually for the reasons that are already mentioned. Of course United is a far bigger club with bigger possiblities. But Eriksen was nearly dead a year ago. He's faced with a choice to stay in a place where he and his family are really happy and enjoy themselves or to go for one more huge challenge as a player.

I do think in the end he will choose the latter option, but given what he's been through you can't rule out that he's gotten other perspectives on his life and carreer. Which would be fair enough by the way.
Yeah, agreed. I don't think the normal narratives apply for Erikson anymore.

ForeverRed1

So he's still deciding between Brentford and United - think about this!!
he is settled in Brentford, as are his family. He is guaranteed playing time and has less pressure, he has every right to mull over his options. That’s even if he is, he might already know what he wants to do. We don’t know anything really.

cyberman

Well said Gary - the owners taking out dividends are why Eriksen may choose Brentford over us:

Not sure it’s poorly performing when the club takes in the profits that it does?
Gary is talking absolute shite here, I’m sure the club could find an extra 11m if it wanted to for a signing

the_cliff

I can see where Gary is coming from. The fact that fans are worried that Eriksen may pick Brentford over us just shows how far we've fallen. Before anybody mentions his wife/family or whatever, playing for a club like United is a chance that doesn't come around often. You think if Fergie was our manager he'd be even considering Brentford ?

We're a joke, ran like a joke and unfortunately we're a shadow of the club we were 10 years ago.

Stadjer

I can see where Gary is coming from. The fact that fans are worried that Eriksen may pick Brentford over us just shows how far we've fallen. Before anybody mentions his wife/family or whatever, playing for a club like United is a chance that doesn't come around often. You think if Fergie was our manager he'd be even considering Brentford ?

We're a joke, ran like a joke and unfortunately we're a shadow of the club we were 10 years ago.
His perspective might have changed after him being dead for five minutes. He might just care more about his family than playing for a big football club.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Not sure it’s poorly performing when the club takes in the profits that it does?
Gary is talking absolute shite here, I’m sure the club could find an extra 11m if it wanted to for a signing
We are a poorly performing football club and have been for 10 years. Every cent should be reinvested to improve us, it just points to the fact that they don’t give a feck as long as they are paid up.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
His perspective might have changed after him being dead for five minutes. He might just care more about his family than playing for a big football club.
And maybe, just maybe, he feels some loyalty towards the club that took a chance on a player that died on the pitch, while also providing a danish coach and environment

JJ12

And maybe, just maybe, he feels some loyalty towards the club that took a chance on a player that died on the pitch, while also providing a danish coach and environment
Maybe he feels some loyalty to ETH for giving him the chance to train with Ajax on his comeback

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
We are a poorly performing football club and have been for 10 years. Every cent should be reinvested to improve us, it just points to the fact that they don’t give a feck as long as they are paid up.
Our poor performance relative to our resources has feck all to do with how much we’ve spent - it’s how we’ve spent it. How anyone with a straight face can moan about what we spend on transfers and wages is and always will be mystifying to me.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Seems Eriksen and his family are rather settled in London and, after what they've been through, maybe he likes the fact he can play this sport without as much scrutiny as he'll get at United if things, inevitably, go abit pear-shaped.

phelans shorts

Yes, because other things are far more important than football.

Mmm-Qatarian

It's very strange that people are acting as though Eriksen to Brentford is a done deal when David Ornstein, who is probably the most reliable journalist in England for transfer news, said yesterday that he thinks he might go to Manchester United.

I don't take Ornstein's statement as definitive; it wasn't very committal. Equally, the Sky Sports report has not said that Eriksen will definitely be moving to Brentford, so it's wrong to treat it as conclusive.

Marcelinho87

Just because it profits it doesn't mean it's performing well, it's getting by on name alone.

A proper functional owner would have this club shitting money from every orifice.

Mike Smalling

Well said Gary - the owners taking out dividends are why Eriksen may choose Brentford over us:

It's a moronic take by Neville, unfortunately. We have spent more than enough on salaries and transfers over the last 10 years to be more competitive than we have been. Our dreadful period has more been a case of poor management than lack of spending. A dividend doesn't have anything to do with it.

Also, I imagine Eriksen's considerations have more to do with uprooting his family and expectations on playing time leading up to the World Cup, than our current predicament.

It's a moronic take by Neville, unfortunately. We have spent more than enough on salaries and transfers over the last 10 years to be more competitive than we have been. Our dreadful period has more been a case of poor management than lack of spending. A dividend doesn't have anything to do with it.

Also, I imagine Eriksen's considerations have more to do with uprooting his family and expectations on playing time leading up to the World Cup, than our current predicament.
It’s not just about transfers it’s also about the infrastructure of the club, the training facilities, scouting system, the stadium etc

Mainoldo

Well maybe if he wasn’t runnning with the narrative of supporting his under qualified mate in Ole for 3 years, we would of done something useless with the transfer money we blew.

Mike Smalling

It’s not just about transfers it’s also about the infrastructure of the club, the training facilities, scouting system, the stadium etc
Yes, the stadium I have heard needs investment, but is that also the case with our training facilities? And do you believe the scouting system needs investment or just competent people?

My point is simply that we have thrown around money extremely carelessly over the last decade. We have overspent on transfers (Maguire, AWB, Pogba, etc.), and been far too generous with contracts on players that haven't shown enough or were far past it (Jones, Lingard, Rashford, etc.). With proper management that money could have been redirected to where it was needed, and I'm sure there would still be enough for the owners to take a dividend.

el diablorojo

Supports
Brentford
It's very strange that people are acting as though Eriksen to Brentford is a done deal when David Ornstein, who is probably the most reliable journalist in England for transfer news, said yesterday that he thinks he might go to Manchester United.

I don't take Ornstein's statement as definitive; it wasn't very committal. Equally, the Sky Sports report has not said that Eriksen will definitely be moving to Brentford, so it's wrong to treat it as conclusive.
Seems only pessimistic United fans who are on a massive downer on their own club are the ones that seem to think Eriksen to Brentford is a done a deal - almost no Brentford fans think that that's for sure :lol: However Ornstein has absolutely no idea what Eriksen will do it was merely an opinion - I still don't think Eriksen himself knows yet to be honest.....

prateik

His decision should purely be a footballing one..

If we want him in the squad to be a Mata/Lindard replacement, I can see him not wanting to come.. and thats fine

cyberman

But they aren’t taking dividends out by performances on the pitch, it’s how they’re performing business wise that important.
This is all symbolic nonsense anyway, 11m won’t matter a feck to us in the transfer market. The same way we have spent clear over a billion over the last few years. Adding previous 11m a year on top of that wouldnt change a thing.
Edit not saying The Galzers deserve it or any such nonsense, it’s just more sabre rattling from Gary

CarbonStoolBites

Do we even want a player who needs to take his time to decide whether be wants to play for Manchester United or fecking Brentford? That’s basically someone who’s done at the highest level and has no ambition to compete at the top level, let him go to Brentford and give Hannibal “his minutes”.

Mmm-Qatarian

Seems only pessimistic United fans who are on a massive downer on their own club are the ones that seem to think Eriksen to Brentford is a done a deal - almost no Brentford fans think that that's for sure :lol: However Ornstein has absolutely no idea what Eriksen will do it was merely an opinion - I still don't think Eriksen himself knows yet to be honest.....
Yeah, I'd agree with that. I don't think it's a done deal myself; genuinely think this is probably a 50/50 scenario right now.

There are clear benefits for Eriksen in joining both sides. At Brentford he'd get to be a star player at a Premier League side that seems to have excellent prospects for growth, whilst repaying a club and manager that showed faith in him and staying in a city where his family is settled. At United he'd most likely be earning more money, playing for a manager he knows well and at a club which (I hope you won't mind me saying!) carries quite a bit more prestige and offers a better chance of getting to compete in the Champions League again.

I'm just a bit fed up of the incessant whinging on here. People constantly parroting the asinine Twitter-esque line about how "embarrassing" it would be if he picked you guys over us as though there aren't very clear benefits on offer to him at Brentford.

redcucumber

Eriksen's situation is clearly unique. The guy nearly died while playing football in front of millions of people. If he wants to stay in London where his family are then fair fecks. Would be great to have him onboard but I can see why it's not an easy decision to make.

Lyng

This is very important. Because yes there have been spent millions on signings. But the stadium, infrastructure, facilities and the womens team have all been neglected. Basically everything that doesnt generate media / pr attention.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.

This is such a weird take. Say the same thing without dragging Eriksen. Its understandable why he would consider Brentford as an attractive option.

JJ12

Our poor performance relative to our resources has feck all to do with how much we’ve spent - it’s how we’ve spent it. How anyone with a straight face can moan about what we spend on transfers and wages is and always will be mystifying to me.
We are talking about dividends. Nobody here is saying we haven’t invested tons of money on shit - we are talking about the people culpable.

It’s not all about transfers like some muppets will suggest. How can you with a straight face suggest taking dividends is fine when you see the state on our stadium and training facilities. It’s a fecking shambles.

El Jefe

This might be the most ridiculous thing he's said so far. I suppose this is what we should expect from a politician, it's an awful attempt at trying to politicize the issue about the dividends.

Its actually a moronic reach. It's one he didn't even need to make because there are many examples at the club that would be far more relevant than the signing of Eriksen.

JJ12

But they aren’t taking dividends out by performances on the pitch, it’s how they’re performing business wise that important.
This is all symbolic nonsense anyway, 11m won’t matter a feck to us in the transfer market. The same way we have spent clear over a billion over the last few years. Adding previous 11m a year on top of that wouldnt change a thing.
Edit not saying The Galzers deserve it or any such nonsense, it’s just more sabre rattling from Gary
People keep saying transfers but we have always been funded well there just spunked it on dross, the set up has always been the issue.

The dividends bit pisses me off more when you see the state on the stadium and training facilities.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
All this "settled in London" bit is strange to read when he's only been there since January for goodness sake!

Status
Not open for further replies.