Christian Pulisic | Signed by Chelsea

Status
Not open for further replies.

L1nk

Constant reports of Liverpool and Chelsea moves now, Arsenal also thrown into the mix, seems like we don't have the slightest interest, and if we don't, well we better have someone else lined up for that RW position then because we bloody need one.

Suedesi

Definitly. Might be that because of his current contract situation he is under performing. He is 20 Dortmund was/is his first big career step and he will leave them at the end of the season so obviously that's not an easy situation.
Congrats to the new club though. With signing Pulisic you get better access to the american market.

Americans by and large don't really care

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Constant reports of Liverpool and Chelsea moves now, Arsenal also thrown into the mix, seems like we don't have the slightest interest, and if we don't, well we better have someone else lined up for that RW position then because we bloody need one.
reports tonight from BILD that he is coming to us at Chelsea. BILD seem pretty certain too. Hard to tell either way but i thought there may be some truth to it when Martin Samuel reported it in the Mail, and he rarely, if ever, does transfer gossip/speculation

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat

Utter rubbish.

Having lived in the US for six years, I can tell you they very much do care. Soccer has become very mainstream and if a US kid moved to Liverpool it would be plastered all over the sports news.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Utter rubbish.

Having lived in the US for six years, I can tell you they very much do care. Soccer has become very mainstream and if a US kid moved to Liverpool it would be plastered all over the sports news.
Interesting that's been your perspective. I've lived in the US for 20 years now, while the interest has gone up, it's mainly for the world cup that the US as a whole more or less pays attention, even without the US being in it this year it was definitely everywhere you went almost. However, outside of that, the average American doesn't care as much about soccer as they do basketball, American football, and baseball (somehow).

That's not to say there isn't interest by a section of the American population, and sure there might be some breaking news he's moving to Chelsea but it's not going to be a big deal. We're not quite there yet.

sport2793

Interesting that's been your perspective. I've lived in the US for 20 years now, while the interest has gone up, it's mainly for the world cup that the US as a whole more or less pays attention, even without the US being in it this year it was definitely everywhere you went almost. However, outside of that, the average American doesn't care as much about soccer as they do basketball, American football, and baseball (somehow).

That's not to say there isn't interest by a section of the American population, and sure there might be some breaking news he's moving to Chelsea but it's not going to be a big deal. We're not quite there yet.
I've lived in the US for 25 years and have to respectfully disagree with your view. Tim Weah from PSG recently got loaned to Celtic and it was front page on ESPN along with the usual stories about LeBron and NFL...

BalanceUnAutreJoint

I've lived in the US for 25 years and have to respectfully disagree with your view. Tim Weah from PSG recently got loaned to Celtic and it was front page on ESPN along with the usual stories about LeBron and NFL...
It's insane to me how big ESPN is in the US whe It's one of the most clickbait sport media out there and that the quality of their articles are pretty bad.

Loublaze

ATLien

Speak for yourself buddy. Pulisic is one of the most followed US football players on social media by American football fans. He's the next big hope. A move to Liverpool would indeed open doors for them in the US market

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
That's not necessarily an indication that people in the US care though, I'm talking about the average American. There is a big push at ESPN to promote soccer, there's a ton of people who try very hard and I think it will happen someday that we'll get to the average American being invested in it, but I still stand it's not something the average American cares about right now. Which is a good thing for the rest of the world IMO, because I believe if Americans ever care about soccer as much as their other favorite sports, it'll only be a matter of time before they dominate it as well.

sport2793

It's insane to me how big ESPN is in the US whe It's one of the most clickbait sport media out there and that the quality of their articles are pretty bad.
Thats because ESPN coverage of American sports is higher quality than even the likes of Di Marzio in football. The journalists are always right and there isnt a bunch of fake stories floated by teams, agents etc.

sport2793

That's not necessarily an indication that people in the US care though, I'm talking about the average American. There is a big push at ESPN to promote soccer, there's a ton of people who try very hard and I think it will happen someday that we'll get to the average American being invested in it, but I still stand it's not something the average American cares about right now. Which is a good thing for the rest of the world IMO, because I believe if Americans ever care about soccer as much as their other favorite sports, it'll only be a matter of time before they dominate it as well.
Depends on the age group. Under 30 the PL is quite popular from what ive seen.

Loublaze

ATLien
You're out of touch I have to say. Football is growing in popularity every year, and the younger generation are leading the charge. Take Atlanta United for example whos just won the MLS cup in front of 73,000 home fans and averaged over 53k a game this season, up from 49k last season. That put them at 19th worldwide currently in average attendance for football matches. Most of the 30k plus Atlanta Utd season ticket holders are also Falcons ticket season holders.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
You're out of touch I have to say. Football is growing in popularity every year, and the younger generation are leading the charge. Take Atlanta United for example whos just won the MLS cup in front of 73,000 home fans and averaged over 53k a game this season, up from 49k last season. That put them at 19th worldwide currently in average attendance for football matches. Most Atlanta Utd season ticket holders are also Falcons ticket season holders.
I'm not out of touch. You are talking about a country of 350 million people, you need to understand these numbers you've listed don't reflect what I would consider the average American.

Edit: Just to be clear, I'm not debating it's growing in popularity, I'm not debating it's a rising sport for the youth thanks to immigration and the fact that people are finally realizing having your kid getting tackled left and right, getting brain damage isn't such a good idea in American football. I am saying the sport is so far below the three main sports I've listed that I wouldn't call it this mainstream sport that the average American cares about yet. They'll go nuts for the world cup and then move on back to their other sports.

Last edited:

Loublaze

ATLien
I'm not out of touch. You are talking about a country of 350 million people, you need to understand these numbers you've listed don't reflect what I would consider the average American.

Edit: Just to be clear, I'm not debating it's growing in popularity, I'm not debating it's a rising sport for the youth thanks to immigration and the fact that people are finally realizing having your kid getting tackled left and right, getting brain damage isn't such a good idea in American football. I am saying the sport is so far below the three main sports I've listed that I wouldn't call it this mainstream sport that the average American cares about yet. They'll go nuts for the world cup and them move on back to their other sports.
What im saying is the magnitude of its growth in popularity is enough to make a difference to Liverpool's profile here if they were to sign Pulisic. The number of people that follow it currently, while not being in the majority of Americans, is still more than significant enough. You're making it sound like the poster you quoted suggested that Liverpool would make the entire population of America watch football. Soccer has always been massively popular for kids (suburban) to play in this country though, even without the influence of immigrants/growth in immigration.

Suedesi

Edit: Just to be clear, I'm not debating it's growing in popularity, I'm not debating it's a rising sport for the youth thanks to immigration and the fact that people are finally realizing having your kid getting tackled left and right, getting brain damage isn't such a good idea in American football. I am saying the sport is so far below the three main sports I've listed that I wouldn't call it this mainstream sport that the average American cares about yet. They'll go nuts for the world cup and then move on back to their other sports.
Spot on. Also I've noticed first hand with kids that were so much into soccer (following religiously, playing at all ages, having posters of Messi/Ronaldo/Drogba all over their walls) hit a certain age, and then just embrace baseball first and then gridiron as soon as they hit 12-15.

It is what it is, I've been hearing the growth of soccer in the US since 1994 when the "World Cup would finally put sawcer on the map". Here we are 25 years later and it's barely moved the needle.

Suedesi

39 million total viewers last year... and the Premier League is only growing in popularity over here.

Edit: and towards all the “he’s overrated” comments... sounds a bit like sour grapes.
Is that a lot? That's 10-15% of the population and it's not unique views, it's total views.

Wonder how many watch the Mexican league first and foremost - remember reading somewhere that that was the most watched soccer league in the US.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
What im saying is the magnitude of its growth in popularity is enough to make a difference to Liverpool's profile here if they were to sign Pulisic. The number of people that follow it currently, while not being in the majority of Americans, is still more than significant enough. You're making it sound like the poster you quoted suggested that Liverpool would make the entire population of America watch football. Soccer has always been massively popular for kids (suburban) to play in this country though, even without the influence of immigrants/growth in immigration.
That's not at all what I've made it sound as, nor did I think that was the suggestion from the post I quoted. My posts are pretty clear on the matter, and the definition of mainstream. And believe me, I pay very much attention to it because I'd love to see it more on my favorite sports shows, but it's just not the case yet. I don't want to have an endless debate over the matter though, we both want the same thing but we have a different view on whether we're there yet or not, I think we're still very far off.

Chekhov

Supports
A wife and three kids
Wonder how many watch the Mexican league first and foremost - remember reading somewhere that that was the most watched soccer league in the US.
It is. LigaMx consistently draws more viewers than MLS here in the US.

And I agree with your main argument here. While interest in soccer is growing in the US, most American sports fans are still indifferent if not downright derisive about the game.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
The thing is that US Soccer has grown up enough that they are not desperate for an American "superstar" anymore. People who are fans will tune into the big matches even if there is not an American playing. So Pulisic has come at the perfect time.

C'mon FC

Supports
1. FC Köln

Compared to Europe yes. Overall the market is growing over there though. Not at the fastest pace and doesn't bring the same volume like China/Asia but check next summer break which teams are going to be over the Atlantic. It's not that unimportant as you say!

C'mon FC

Supports
1. FC Köln
It is. LigaMx consistently draws more viewers than MLS here in the US.

And I agree with your main argument here. While interest in soccer is growing in the US, most American sports fans are still indifferent if not downright derisive about the game.
Might be of demographic reasons known as Mexican immigrants or ABM (american born Mexicans). Might be the reason why Hernandez played for ManUtd ;)

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
I think Chelsea is the wrong move for him but you can not deny his talent.

Chekhov

Supports
A wife and three kids
Might be of demographic reasons known as Mexican immigrants or ABM (american born Mexicans). Might be the reason why Hernandez played for ManUtd ;)
Oh, it's obviously because of the huge Mexican population in the US. But the point still stands.

Rozski

Spot on. Also I've noticed first hand with kids that were so much into soccer (following religiously, playing at all ages, having posters of Messi/Ronaldo/Drogba all over their walls) hit a certain age, and then just embrace baseball first and then gridiron as soon as they hit 12-15.
I disagree with this as a broad pattern. I’m a 30 year old American and I know a bunch of people who weren’t interested in soccer become fans and followers of teams as 20 year olds in college because of how much FIFA is played in dorms.

It’s for sure becoming increasingly mainstream and I think it’s obvious that the best American player moving to a team that already has a big chunk of the American fan base is only going to increase their popularity.

macheda14

Well I’ve lived in the US for 30 years and I have a different view

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
I am hoping we go for a better player than pulisic tbh. Hard to see him being more than talented backup.

I want someone who could strengthen our first xi

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Someone that has lived in the US for 35 years is requested.

Mick321

He’s very average, glad we seemingly aren’t getting involved. Great media/pr team behind him though!

AngryCroat

He’s very average, glad we seemingly aren’t getting involved. Great media/pr team behind him though!
Yes, it would be bad for us if we get talented young, fast player who plays on the right for 45 mils. That would be bad for our attacking game. Why not buy another CB for 100 mils instead of trying to find out which 2 from our team can play together well.. And/or get Toby in two for 25.

Pulisic + Toby would be 70"mils and solve most of our problems.. But lets splash cash on some CB not proven in EPL

Last edited by a moderator:

Carolina Red

Staff
Is that a lot? That's 10-15% of the population and it's not unique views, it's total views.

Considering the entire population of England is 55 million, I’d say yes, and hopefully you’ll begin to get my point.

That number is going to be higher year on year for the foreseeable future, and Pulisic to the Premier League is only going to accelerate that.

Sterling Archer

I am - save your insults for 4chan mate.
It's not an insult. You're basically speaking your opinion on something that can be quantified with the myriad analytics we have in this day and age. Lacking the proper knowledge let alone spouting incorrect noise as fact is, by definition, ignorance.

Its a surprise to me that a fellow American could have such a pessimistic view when I've felt and seen the exact opposite. Having read some of your replies you've really misled folks here and also seem to be uninvolved with the soccer community in the US.

Average tv viewership of the Premier League in the UK was under 3% last year. And has been dropping. For comparison sake, US popularity is growing. If there's any takeaway, any astute sports management group should look bullishly at a US market.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/869181/english-premier-league-television-viewership-uk/

https://www.nielsen.com/us/en/insig...major-league-soccer-popularity-in-the-us.html

L1nk

I have absolutely no idea why everyone thinks he's average all of a sudden, because Sancho has currently displaced him? Sancho seems the bigger talent, doesn't make Pulisic average, and for people saying oh I don't want Pulisic I'd rather Sancho, well you aren't getting Sancho, ever, Dortmund aren't going to sell him and if they do it will be a ridiculous fee, people can't see reality on this forum they think it's Football Manager

Here is an opportunity to pick up on a fast, attacking, direct, creative and skillful young RIGHT WINGER to go in the team, for what would be a cheap price and people are saying no, blows my mind, yes he's still somewhat raw but people seem to think Ronaldo was a world beater when he first joined us, wasn't.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I have absolutely no idea why everyone thinks he's average all of a sudden, because Sancho has currently displaced him? Sancho seems the bigger talent, doesn't make Pulisic average, and for people saying oh I don't want Pulisic I'd rather Sancho, well you aren't getting Sancho, ever, Dortmund aren't going to sell him and if they do it will be a ridiculous fee, people can't see reality on this forum they think it's Football Manager

Here is an opportunity to pick up on a fast, attacking, direct, creative and skillful young RIGHT WINGER to go in the team, for what would be a cheap price and people are saying no, blows my mind, yes he's still somewhat raw but people seem to think Ronaldo was a world beater when he first joined us, wasn't.
I don't think it's all of the sudden. Imo his biggest quality has been that he was extremely mature at a very young age but I don't think there's necessarily a world class talent beneath that. So naturally (as becoming mature is an automatic part of most player's development) that head start matters less and less and he begins to look more ordinary.

Put a talented attacker in Dortmund's team and he's bound to look good and pick up a couple of goals/assists here and there. Add to the mix that he's from the US who are desperate for a decent footballer and let him play a lot of games against 3rd rate opposition and voila you have some off the charts hype going.

And FYI: both Sancho and Pulisic have played on either attacking side. It's not like he's being benched just because of Sancho. He's being benched because Favre also prefers Bruun-Larsen and Guerreiro.

Status
Not open for further replies.