Film Christopher Nolan's 'Oppenheimer'

RedDevilQuebecois

A great night for Oppenheimer at the Golden Globes tonight with 5 wins out of 8 nominations.
  • Best Motion Picture (Drama)
  • Best Director - Christopher Nolan
  • Best Performance in a Motion Picture (Drama) - Cillian Murphy
  • Best Supporting Performance in a Motion Picture (Drama) - Robert Downey Jr.
  • Best Original Score - Ludwig Göransson
We can now count it as the favorite for the Academy Awards in 2 months' time.

Last edited:

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
A great night for Oppenheimer at the Golden Globes tonight with 5 wins out of 8 nominations.
  • Best Director (Drama) - Christopher Nolan
  • Best Supporting Performance in a Motion Picture (Dama) - Robert Downey Jr.
As long as Barbie doesn't win I'll be happy.

Nah. I don't actually give a shit as the Oscars have been ludicrous for a long time. Possibly forever.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
All quite deserved in fairness.

Oldyella

Surprised Emily Blunt didn't win, although not see The Holdovers so perhaps can't judge.

Sweet Square

Meh I would have Murphy performance pretty low down(Gary Oldman is by far the best performance in Oppenheimer). There’s the one good meme but that’s about it. And tbh its not his fault it’s just the film is so middle brow.

Giamatti - The Holdovers

Driver - Ferrari

Phoenix(Destiny has brought me this pork chop) - Napoleon

Godzilla - Godzilla Minus One

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
I really hope not.

Oppenheimer was brilliant but most of his output since 2002 has been meh at best.
Wild take.

Are you saying that you do rate Insomnia or you don't rate Insomnia?

Also, how many of his movies have you seen on IMAX?

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Wild take.

Are you saying that you do rate Insomnia or you don't rate Insomnia?

Also, how many of his movies have you seen on IMAX?
I liked Insomnia. The Batman stuff was just OK, Inception was better than it should have been, The Presitige not bad, but after that not a fan. Interstellar and Dunkirk were terrible.

Wing Attack Plan R

This is @Wibble we're talking about. You never know what you're gonna get.
It’s the Wibble Uncertainty Principle.

Denis Villeneuve is probably better, in my book, now that I’ve looked through the list of Oscar winners since 2002. Other directors I liked a lot have cooled off: David O Russell, James Gray, Spike Jonze, Iñarritu, Almodovar, Fincher, Ridley Scott, Wes Anderson, Cuarón, and a lot of currently hip directors I just can’t relate to their work: Payne, McQueen, Hooper, Jenkins, Phillips, et al.

PepG

Supports
Ajax
Memento is still Nolan's best work in my opinion. The Prestige - second best.. Batman's trilogy was ok and probably the best in the whole superhero genre, Inception was great, Interstellar too but his Dunkirk and Tenet movies were truly terrible..Oppenheimer is an ok movie but again below Nolan's own standards.. lets see if he will do a Bond movie..that is something i thing that can bring him back to his previous greatness as a director..

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Memento is still Nolan's best work in my opinion. The Prestige - second best.. Batman's trilogy was ok and probably the best in the whole superhero genre, Inception was great, Interstellar too but his Dunkirk and Tenet movies were truly terrible..Oppenheimer is an ok movie but again below Nolan's own standards.. lets see if he will do a Bond movie..that is something i thing that can bring him back to his previous greatness as a director..
He's always said that Inception was his bond movie. I think that ship has sailed.

Prestige is my personal favourite too alongside interstellar.

You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger darling.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
see if he will do a Bond movie
We open the movie with a flying shot over a rocky peninsula. The sounds of bins being hit with sticks and horns toot sinisterly as a group of balaclava donned mercenaries clamber out of a small dingy, and they run towards a lavish villa. Inside the villa we see a small man hurriedly writing a letter and stuffing it into a fireplace. He lights the fire and watches as the letter burns. Suddenly the windows explode as the mercenaries break into the room and capture the man.

The man tells them that they're too late and he's already burned the letter. But the leader of the mercenaries pours water on the ashes, turning them into a letter again. He opens the envelope and reads the letter; it says "I AM BOND". The small man opens his face flaps and reveals himself to be Bond. The bins are hit heavier with sticks. Whenever he punches a mercenary they turn into water. He punches them all, bins hit with sticks.

As he punches the leader he turns into an envelope. Bond grabs the envelope and runs to the desk. He takes out a piece of paper and writes "I AM BOND" on it before popping it into the envelope and throwing it into the fireplace. He lights the fire just in time for the windows in the room to shatter again. Another group of mercenaries run in, except they all look like Bond now. He punches them and they turn into fireplaces. Binny sticky bin bin.

This continues for three hours.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
RDJ gets best supporting actor at the BAFTAs. Awards for the score and cinematography too. Poor Things has also done well.

reelworld

Is RDJ the best comeback story in Hollywood?
Oscar nominated in his 20s, crash and burn during his 30s, massive comeback with superhero movies in his 40s, now getting Oscar nominations again in his 50s

RedDevilQuebecois

Oscar nominated in his 20s, crash and burn during his 30s, massive comeback with superhero movies in his 40s, now getting Oscar nominations again in his 50s
Not long ago, I would have said that Brendan Fraser had the greatest comeback of all. But that narrative could very likely change if RDJ goes all the way at the Academy Awards.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Well, I finally watched it.

It's a really good movie. Well done Nolan and co.

Leg-End

I think a home watch with subtitles has made me like this film much more, I do think my initial experience was slightly damaged by the poor cinema audio my local one had, a huge no-no for a Nolan film anyway.

It deserves all the awards its going to get, the music bed throughout absolutely pulls you along (a bit like The Prestige did).

Loon

:lol:
Yup. Uninsurable at one point (Mel Gibson saved him!) and the Oscar next month will top it off perfectly.

reelworld

I think a home watch with subtitles has made me like this film much more, I do think my initial experience was slightly damaged by the poor cinema audio my local one had, a huge no-no for a Nolan film anyway.

It deserves all the awards its going to get, the music bed throughout absolutely pulls you along (a bit like The Prestige did).
Yeah, the way the music kept you on the edge of your seat when it's just a bunch of man talking on a table was incredible

Eddy_JukeZ

Yeah, the way the music kept you on the edge of your seat when it's just a bunch of man talking on a table was incredible

Any excuse to post this.

Haunting and amazing at the same time. Goes well with the themes of the movie.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Finally saw Oppenheimer last night.
The movie flew by so for me it wasn’t overlong at all. Really enjoyed it. They could have done things differently by focusing on other parts of the project and his life but the material they covered was done well.
Tom Conti as Einstein made me smile.

onemanarmy

I loved it. The test-bomb explosion scene was intense.

The "Dutch" Oppenheimer spoke in the Leiden college was hilarious though, bit weird for such a production.

Superunknown

I loved it. The test-bomb explosion scene was intense.

The "Dutch" Oppenheimer spoke in the Leiden college was hilarious though, bit weird for such a production.
I watched it in a cinema in Belgium (Hasselt) and the cinema near-enough erupted with laughter when he claimed it was Dutch he was speaking. :lol: :lol:

During the interval, it's the first thing people talked about. If somebody with a lisp was speaking two rooms over and they were underwater at the time, you might mistake it for them trying to read German having only just seen it written down for the first time.

onemanarmy

I watched it in a cinema in Belgium (Hasselt) and the cinema near-enough erupted with laughter when he claimed it was Dutch he was speaking. :lol: :lol:

During the interval, it's the first thing people talked about. If somebody with a lisp was speaking two rooms over and they were underwater at the time, you might mistake it for them trying to read German having only just seen it written down for the first time.
Apparently it's spot on in the dubbed German version.
Nolan didn't like the flow of the scene so he cut it up, just cutting our random words so it didn't make any sense anymore. Proper weird.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
Watched this now, and just...why?

A completely uninteresting relaying of a story of a perfectly uninteresting man, who is perfectly placed in a footnote of the abominable history of mankind. Einstein in his 3 lines was more interesting than fecking Oppy. Cillian Murphy did his best with a character with the depth of a sheet of paper, and with god awful writing and dialogues to boot.

The supporting cast isn't good, it's just random famous/familiar faces one after the other, with no particular reason for them to be there than "Oh, Chris Nolan called and I very well couldn't say no could I haha". Emily Blunt's "that one scene" turned out to be the dampest of damp squibs, and she ended up being the mumbliest of all the mumbly Nolan actors.

Nolan's edits and direction have moved from avoidable irritants to just flat out terrible now. I felt like I was tolerating this movie for almost the entire runtime. NOT ANY MORE I'M NOT, CHRIS.

The Oscars are a joke.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Watched this now, and just...why?

A completely uninteresting relaying of a story of a perfectly uninteresting man, who is perfectly placed in a footnote of the abominable history of mankind. Einstein in his 3 lines was more interesting than fecking Oppy. Cillian Murphy did his best with a character with the depth of a sheet of paper, and with god awful writing and dialogues to boot.

The supporting cast isn't good, it's just random famous/familiar faces one after the other, with no particular reason for them to be there than "Oh, Chris Nolan called and I very well couldn't say no could I haha". Emily Blunt's "that one scene" turned out to be the dampest of damp squibs, and she ended up being the mumbliest of all the mumbly Nolan actors.

Nolan's edits and direction have moved from avoidable irritants to just flat out terrible now. I felt like I was tolerating this movie for almost the entire runtime. NOT ANY MORE I'M NOT, CHRIS.

The Oscars are a joke.