Film Christopher Nolan's 'Oppenheimer'

Charlie Foley

Saw it today. Thought it was quite excellent. A slightly different focus than I think I expected but it's a very good movie.

There was no issue with the sound in my cinema, it was very good.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Just saw it. Very good of course, never doubted it, but no real reason to watch it again, it's not that type of movie really, at least for me. Also while the score was good, think they could do more with less background music. Was pretty much non stop music in the background trying to do it's bit to build tension.

Great acting from all, but yeah nowhere near Nolan's best movies. Also the importance thing is a load of shite, come on. The message is just "bombs are bad, governments will use them to their advantage and governments will take whatever research you do and toss you aside when they are done with you" which literally everybody knows. Unless they are talking about importance about the way films are made and some cinematography aspects which I don't know much about and didn't notice so can't say much about it.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Just saw it. Very good of course, never doubted it, but no real reason to watch it again, it's not that type of movie really, at least for me. Also while the score was good, think they could do more with less background music. Was pretty much non stop music in the background trying to do it's bit to build tension.

Great acting from all, but yeah nowhere near Nolan's best movies. Also the importance thing is a load of shite, come on. The message is just "bombs are bad, governments will use them to their advantage and governments will take whatever research you do and toss you aside when they are done with you" which literally everybody knows. Unless they are talking about importance about the way films are made and some cinematography aspects which I don't know much about and didn't notice so can't say much about it.
If you want to understand this movie you need to watch Barbie first. You missed the trick there.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Just watched it

Nice drama, gripping even without anything at stake. We knew the bomb's gonna drop, there's nothing to support climax or tension but they patch it with what they have in the last 1/3 of the movie. Which I think is pretty out of the theme.

Cillian is a great actor but I feel Oppie was so ... in his own world. Obviously not knowing how he is in the real world maybe Cillian got that to a tee or maybe not, but overall enjoyable 3 hours went by.

Damon : was not believable as the stern no nonsense general even with that fake mustache, can't the the Rounder movie out of him
Robert Downy Jr : Meh
Robert Downy assistant : Would not make the first month with an attitude like that, he's annoying as feck for some personal confidante
Florence Pugh : Sexy
Emily Blunt : Meh, I guess they want an older actress to play Kitty but she got a persona of a wooden log in here.
Remi Malek : What in the world is he doing there

Out of everyone involved, I think the scientists whoever or whatever their name was, was more believable as a collective.

ChrisNelson

I was underwhelmed by this, it was good but far from great. Personally I don't think it's in the same league as Dead Reckoning.

Seems Nolan hasn't learned any lessons from Tenet in terms of the score overpowering the narrative, there were multiple moments in the film where I was internally screaming at him to turn the volume down so I could actually hear the actors. It's all so unnecessary, he's trying to create this background atmosphere which he's made a bit of a trademark but he takes it too far.

I agree with @Sky1981 's take in the previous post on each actor, think that's a fairly good summary!

It's a fascinating story but it's one that could have been told in 45 minutes less, it would have been more exciting if it had moved at that slightly quicker pace but Nolan is Nolan and I got exactly what I thought I would from the film.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
After watching this movie, I think I will watch Threads and The Day After.
You'll get more out of Threads, arguably still the best movie on a nuclear attack.
Such a fantastic and disturbing film. One of my favourites.

Also, I would recommend the original Godzilla.

abundance

Supports
Inter
You are wrong :)
eh, I'm pretty confident I'm not wrong about anything he's done so far.
Way too shallow to matter about anything beyond the immediate camerawork wow factor.

I haven't seen Oppenheimer yet, so I'll be pleased to be wrong eventually, but judging from the tone of the comments here he hasn't brought anything more to the table yet again.

Ahmer Baig

You'll get more out of Threads, arguably still the best movie on a nuclear attack.
Such a fantastic and disturbing film. One of my favourites.

Also, I would recommend the original Godzilla.
Threads still gives me the scare. Havent seen original Godzilla, will definitely watch that as well.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
It's kinda annoying how he used close up camera (or whatever that was)

Not a tech nerd myself but it's hard not to notice it the way it's used throughout the film. Im sure Nolan would got some proverbial reasons on why he chose that but at times it's annoying. It works in the close confined of class room but it almost brought the claustrophobic in me

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Threads still gives me the scare. Havent seen original Godzilla, will definitely watch that as well.
I went on a complete binge of Nuclear holocaust, post-apocalyptic movies a couple of years back and Threads was the clear standout, with The Day After and A Boy and His Dog also leaving a mark.
I can't speak highly enough of Threads and its impact on me. Such a gorgeously depressing film.

Shinjch

Really enjoyed this. From about 45 minutes in I found I was gripped. Didn't have any of the sound issues that have been mentioned and that were prominent in some previous Nolan films.

DouLou

Been caught pooping
Honestly, didn't really love this.

It's clearly amazing on every technical level. Everyone is well cast, the music was of course superb, the dialogue had a lot of enjoyable snappy back and forth, and there were a lot of intentionally unnerving and powerful directional choices.

But the thing was so constantly fecking LOUD. A lot of the time I even struggled to hear the dialogue! Am I the only one who felt there was too much music? It was like every scene had some crescendo or monumental shit going on audiowise! 1 Hour in and I was desperate for some scenes just to be... less... huge??

I find it hard to find any real fault with it because it's all so obviously well made, but there is a reoccuring theme with me and Nolan movies which is me coming away thinking "Well, that was a hell of a cinema experience, but I can't see myself watching it at home". I won't give it a rating but I'll just say I enjoyed it to the point I don't regret seeing it and I don't think it's bad, but I'm definitely not in the "This was awesome" camp.

Moby

Dick
but there is a reoccuring theme with me and Nolan movies which is me coming away thinking "Well, that was a hell of a cinema experience, but I can't see myself watching it at home"
I was like that with Tenet and Dunkirk. Especially Dunkirk which was an exceptional experience in Imax but I never thought of rewatching it. Tenet was just a bit shit. But I think I will definitely watch it more times as it relied a lot more on strong acting and screenplay and not just cinematic set pieces which should give it good re-watch value. I'm eagerly waiting for it to be available online.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history

It's clearly amazing on every technical level. Everyone is well cast, the music was of course superb, the dialogue had a lot of enjoyable snappy back and forth, and there were a lot of intentionally unnerving and powerful directional choices.

But the thing was so constantly fecking LOUD. A lot of the time I even struggled to hear the dialogue! Am I the only one who felt there was too much music? It was like every scene had some crescendo or monumental shit going on audiowise! 1 Hour in and I was desperate for some scenes just to be... less... huge??

I find it hard to find any real fault with it because it's all so obviously well made, but there is a reoccuring theme with me and Nolan movies which is me coming away thinking "Well, that was a hell of a cinema experience, but I can't see myself watching it at home". I won't give it a rating but I'll just say I enjoyed it to the point I don't regret seeing it and I don't think it's bad, but I'm definitely not in the "This was awesome" camp.
FFS not this again. That's me out then.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
FFS not this again. That's me out then.
It seems to be a split vote. A lot of us including myself had no problem whatsoever but it seems some did. I didn't go to an Imax and watched it on a regular screen if that helps.
Yeah, it must be a by theatre thing because I had no problem understanding dialogue at all, in fact, it was easier to hear dialogue than a lot of the other blockbusters in the past years. Definitely way better than Tenet in that regard.

Bebe

Decent film but not one I'll ever watch again. The big bomb scene was completely overhyped in my opinion - it's a couple minutes out of a 3 hour runtime. Interesting story but anyone who knows the barest history of the era knows everything that will happen throughout the plot.

Nolan film ranking (that I've seen)

The Dark Knight
The Prestige
Memento
Batman Begins
Dark Knight Rises
Interstellar
Inception

Oppenheimer

Tenet

Parma Dewol

Saw it at the Imax today and was blown away.

Bones are still shaking.

In an era of overused CGI, sequels and remakes, it’s great to see a filmmaker try to be so ambitious with storytelling through real set pieces. Makes it worth going to the cinema.

The Trinity sequence was so nerve racking at one point I thought the Mrs was going to get up and leave the cinema.

Can’t stop thinking about the scale of what those scientists created during that time. Far too complex for me to understand, can’t comprehend how you juggle the power of creating something godlike against the horror of what it could mean.

If you do go to see it, try to find an Imax showing. Breathtaking spectacle.

Kazi

Also, why the feck was it 3 hours. Definitely could have cut out 30 minutes of nonsense. Most people probably stopped paying attention after the bomb went off.

macheda14

Every Nolan film is the same. It's well documented.
And it’s been pretty well documented in a lot of reviews that the issue isn’t there in this film. There were maybe two times I struggled to hear were when I was crunching away on my M&Ms

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I thought it was a bit shit. Couldn't hear a word of dialogue, pacing was incessant, and it just kind of, happened.

I mean, for what it is they couldn't have done much better, save for turning the dialogue up 6db. But I can't help feeling it was just a posh dramatised documentary - fine, but I'd have preferred and Inglorious Basterds, alternate reality version of something like this.

Agree with both of these, I had a lot of the same complaints.

Found myself missing chunks of dialogue because I just couldn’t hear it, needed subtitles at times.

The pacing was mad, every scene lasts about 20 seconds, presents you with basic exposition of the plot, set to pounding music, with dialogue you can’t hear anyway. Then you’re onto the next scene, that also lasts about 20 seconds, then boom, another and so on - it was exhausting. I get they had a lot to cram in, but I feel like they didn’t really find an enjoyable way to tell that story without flying through it at top speed. The only times they actually let a scene breathe, and you felt like you were in the room with them was whenever Florence Pugh had her norks out, funnily enough. Other than that it was just a very well shot historical documentary, played back in the form of a flip book.

Camilo

And it’s been pretty well documented in a lot of reviews that the issue isn’t there in this film. There were maybe two times I struggled to hear were when I was crunching away on my M&Ms
We all must've imagined it. Thank God you're here to set things straight.

macheda14

We all must've imagined it. Thank God you're here to set things straight.
You’re welcome. Sometimes go into things with certain expectations and they become true. You should have more of an open mind next time xoxo

Devil You Know

From what I’ve read it’s an issue in this once again.
Nolan does it deliberately.

1. In some scenes, he wants the music/ambience to be louder than the dialogue in order to add to chaotic feel of the situation. You're not supposed to hear what people are saying in those cases. It's an artistic choice.
2. He mixes his audio for high end IMAX sound systems which have lots of speakers that can play each separate sound stream individually. At those cinemas, the audio is clear. But when you go to a regular cinema which has fewer speakers, the sound streams get muddled together and that makes the dialogue difficult to hear. It's a snobbish choice.

If you watch Oppenheimer in an IMAX cinema, it's probably fine. But I expect the same problem exists in some of the smaller cinemas around the world.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Watched it. Very good movie. 3 hours but didn't feel like it, was engrossed in it. Murphy was great. Enjoyed RDJ. Josh Hartnett is a handsome bastard.

The sound is shit, or the blasting of music over dialogue is.

Been seeing controversy on the sex scenes in it. What the feck? One was just some short topless humping and the other was just some grinding with no actual "naughty bits" on display. Weird.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
:lol:

I wish there was some international law that banned the making of 3 hour films for the next couple of years. Can’t remember the last time a big blockbuster was a nice 90 minute run time.
Very rare you get to the end of a very long film and think that they couldn't have made it as well/better with a shorter run time. Even Godfather 1 could have edited down the wedding scenes at least a bit without sacrificing anything. Oppenheimer could perhaps have lost 5 or 10 mins in the middle I'd say, although that in many ways gave you a pause before the second half brought it home, but surprisingly little seemed superfluous.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
The sound is shit, or the blasting of music over dialogue is.
Maybe down to the sound system in your cinema. The sound did nothing but enhance the film when I watched it, but it was just refitted out and the sound system was very good indeed.

neverdie

Even Godfather 1 could have edited down the wedding scenes at least a bit without sacrificing anything
disagre. Off-topic, but the natural vibe of non-mafia stuff is set perfectly during the first thirty minutes or so. Natural family from this view and then shit hits the fan.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
disagre. Off-topic, but the natural vibe of non-mafia stuff is set perfectly during the first thirty minutes or so. Natural family from this view and then shit hits the fan.
Not saying I hated it, just that if 5 or 10 mins had been edited out we probably wouldn't have noticed or cared.

neverdie

Not saying I hated it, just that if 5 or 10 mins had been edited out we probably wouldn't have noticed or cared.
I just think that film is flawless in every respect, with timing being key. Just the perfect film. I wouldn't cut anything from it. Then in 2 (and 3, even though 3 is shit) you see the reprise of the wedding/funeral motif. It's pefect.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I just think that film is flawless in every respect, with timing being key. Just the perfect film. I wouldn't cut anything from it. Then in 2 (and 3, even though 3 is shit) you see the reprise of the wedding/funeral motif. It's pefect.
I actually think 2 is better film although 1 and 2 are 2 of my 3 or 4 favorite films so hardly an insult. :)

I also think that films like that seem slow nowadays as the pacing of films in the last 30 years has hugely speeded up. Films that slow for long sections (The Deer Hunter even more so) tend to feel too slow and pedestrian at times.

neverdie

I actually think 2 is better film although 1 and 2 are 2 of my 3 or 4 favorite films so hardly an insult. :)
impossible for me to choose between the two. I barely lean toward 1, but can be swayed to 2 easily. Have to take them together I think.

films like that seem slow nowadays as the pacing of films in the last 30 years has hugely speeded up.
yeah that's absolutely true but I think that's also, by and large, to the detriment of films over the past 30 years. I'd rather a 5 minute middling period in Godfather or Deerhunter over a 2hr formulaic every single line counted for and overlapped with everything else.

My Dinner with Andre. Imagine making that today. Can't recall the runtime but what would the synopsis be? Man sits down with friend at restaurant to discuss this and that about life for a few hours? They'd laugh you out of the studio.

If it were greenlit, probably a twist here, dazzling camera work there, and over the top soundtracks. No ambiguity or banality of very very good film making. Winter Sleep by Ceylan. That's similar-ish. But rare films.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Nolan does it deliberately.

1. In some scenes, he wants the music/ambience to be louder than the dialogue in order to add to chaotic feel of the situation. You're not supposed to hear what people are saying in those cases. It's an artistic choice.
2. He mixes his audio for high end IMAX sound systems which have lots of speakers that can play each separate sound stream individually. At those cinemas, the audio is clear. But when you go to a regular cinema which has fewer speakers, the sound streams get muddled together and that makes the dialogue difficult to hear. It's a snobbish choice.

If you watch Oppenheimer in an IMAX cinema, it's probably fine. But I expect the same problem exists in some of the smaller cinemas around the world.
Disagree with the artists choice. It’s (in other cases) distracting and overbearing. Many movies have excellent background scores that add rather than detract from the scene.