City and Financial Doping | Charged by PL with numerous FFP breaches

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
It is possible but you'll probably win nowt

Only way is a transfer and salary cap which I don't think any of the old g14 clubs would ever be in favour of, the Champions League expansion has distorted every major League in Europe, it's all fecking shit and there is no way of bolting that door now, no matter how many charges city are guilty of (which will be most) there is no way of leveling the playing field and that started with the G14's greed, as soon as money becomes involved in sporting events you can guarantee people will look to exploit that, we're basically Frankenstein's monster created by the g14 clubs greed who wanted a close shop
The extrapolation for City, which is often missed in counterpoints is that: no matter what the rules are, they have and will actively break them, so it doesn’t matter what implementation there is; it’s going to be circumvented anyway.

If a club doesn’t agree with the rules in place, they are free to not enter the competition under said rules.

LordSpud

Anyone else finished with football if they don't get a proper punishment? Feel like it's all a bit pointless if they get away with it.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Still think they'll be relegated but come back up straight away Juve style. Probably with--3 points for each proven charge or just being moved to 20th. No idea what they'd do with historical results.

They might need the FA cup to be in Europe, in the championship... Could also mean 2nd is enough this year and 3rd bottom.

Loon

:lol:
Still think they'll be relegated but come back up straight away Juve style. Probably with--3 points for each proven charge or just being moved to 20th. No idea what they'd do with historical results.

They might need the FA cup to be in Europe, in the championship... Could also mean 2nd is enough this year and 3rd bottom.
I would imagine the record would remain untouched as Juve’s are. I would love a song from every terrace to remind them in perpetuity they are cheats, akin to the “dirty Leeds’” everyone knows, old or young.

SER19

Anyone else finished with football if they don't get a proper punishment? Feel like it's all a bit pointless if they get away with it.
I don't think it's overstating it to say it's about the last chance for football to salvage some credibility. Need to be absolutely hammered, will get a slap on the wrist

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
I would imagine the record would remain untouched as Juve’s are. I would love a song from every terrace to remind them in perpetuity they are cheats, akin to the “dirty Leeds’” everyone knows, old or young.
Huh, didn't Juventus get stripped of several titles?

Loon

:lol:
Huh, didn't Juventus get stripped of several titles?
One, I think. Which was not given to any other club. Also, for match fixing rather than financial doping. I know both are cheating, but, you know how it will go…

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
You would think that clubs individually won't stand for a soft punishment so this is a possibility.
It feels like for a long while no-one seemed to care as it was pretty much United getting upset by City's emergence.
I was always surprised Arsenal didn't care more when they kept cherry picking their players.

But now, other teams seem to get what's gone on. Took them long enough.

SuperiorXI

It feels like for a long while no-one seemed to care as it was pretty much United getting upset by City's emergence.
I was always surprised Arsenal didn't care more when they kept cherry picking their players.

It's not even just the PL either, now other European teams must be fretting about their emergence. They could easily dominate the CL with their resources, especially if they get away with the 115 charges.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It's not even just the PL either, now other European teams must be fretting about their emergence. They could easily dominate the CL with their resources, especially if they get away with the 115 charges.
Yep, you definitely know that Real Madrid and Barcelona be monitoring this with interest.
Although they should hush up really, having been used to taking who they wanted even from huge clubs, plus some questionable funding practices themselves.

Football is utterly broken though, from lower league clubs constantly going into administration, through to utter non entity clubs like West Ham technically being richer than historic greats like the Milan clubs.

Buckie

Supports
Arsenal
The problem is even if a few hardcore supporters and old times become finished with the league, there are millions that won't be finished with it and are satisfied with the status quo. City and the officials know that and they have crunched the numbers. It's all about money not competition or catering to genuine knowledgeable supporters.

thisisnottaken1

Yup. fecking ABU’s. If it had been Liverpool who were dominant back then, they’d have been up in arms.

OldSchoolManc

I think it’s best that City stay successful for this season at least, as it digs them a hole that other clubs want them buried in.
Victims of their own success as it were.

Nobody wants to see one team dominate over all others as that’s boring and they become hated. Just look at United under Fergie - although that was self earned success no matter what bollox City fans come out with.

City are light years ahead of all other teams right now, simply through the ridiculously large injection of money into all aspects of the club. And it’s all been done fraudulently.
There will always be an asterisk against all their ill gotten trophies.

ArtetasHair

Supports
Arsenal
I think it’s best that City stay successful for this season at least, as it digs them a hole that other clubs want them buried in.
Victims of their own success as it were.

Nobody wants to see one team dominate over all others as that’s boring and they become hated. Just look at United under Fergie - although that was self earned success no matter what bollox City fans come out with.

City are light years ahead of all other teams right now, simply through the ridiculously large injection of money into all aspects of the club. And it’s all been done fraudulently.
There will always be an asterisk against all their ill gotten trophies.
Don't think you can compare SAF to the cheat machine City is. Even with Utd's wins and despite the rivalry I still had a begrudging respect for them as rivals and despite the hate at the end of the day you could raise your hands up and say fair enough they deserve it.

There is nothing like that for City. Had it not been for their disgusting cheating we'd maybe be winning our second title in a row. And you yourselves would have won more.

croadyman

Hearing Keane praise them makes me sick, feck sake Roy risk your job and call them out

WitchWithoutACat

Definitely Premier league football. I'd go on continuing to support my league one side but football in general is creeping towards insane owners.

I don't think they will "get away with it" but the punishment will be unparallel or a huge fine and we all know money means nothing to them.

I wouldn't be surprised if the "punishment" is not disclosed to the public.

With VAR, shocking refereeing, cheating clubs and super rich owners artificially inflating clubs, I've been on the brink for a while.

I'd never stop supporting United, but it'd be from a huge distance.

JagUTD

Soon be time for the "Who remembers Manchester City?" thread when they cease to exist.

Looking forward to their 3 fans telling us tales of a long forgotten football-ish club. Is it possible to have a permanent rendition of Wonderwall playing while the thread is open, for painful nostalgia?

Judas

Open to offers
It will certainly be a tough pill to swallow and continue to consume. As much as I believe City won't be punished anywhere near enough, I'm kind of relying on them to really get the book thrown at them, otherwise what's the point of carrying on watching the PL? It's broken and doomed.

OldSchoolManc

Football as a serious interest, is over if City don’t get an appropriate punishment.
What is the point of rules if one club out of all the rest can flagrantly ignore them?

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Football as a serious interest, is over if City don’t get an appropriate punishment.
What is the point of rules if one club out of all the rest can flagrantly ignore them?
I do wonder how many people will just switch off if they avoid it completely?

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
They’ll get an unprecedented 30 point deduction and an even more unprecedented fine of, like, 100 million.

At which point the authorities will be able to say City were punished harder than any other club has ever been.

And City will be out of CL for a season. Maybe.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
100% this. I'll just stick to the grassroots leagues locally for my fix, feck it.
It’s something I have been thinking about a lot lately, and it’d be a lifelong habit I’d have to break, and probably have to quit this forum to do it. Which all in all would be cutting (but maybe not the worst thing for my life?).

Hopefully they get the book thrown at them so it’s not a concern.

croadyman

They’ll get an unprecedented 30 point deduction and an even more unprecedented fine of, like, 100 million.

At which point the authorities will be able to say City were punished harder than any other club has ever been.

That would be a totally pathetic punishment,like the other poster says may as well just focus on a local grassroots side instead

OleGunnar20

It’s something I have been thinking about a lot lately, and it’d be a lifelong habit I’d have to break, and probably have to quit this forum to do it. Which all in all would be cutting (but maybe not the worst thing for my life?).

Hopefully they get the book thrown at them so it’s not a concern.
Same. It'd be a horrible thing but I think I'd be lying myself pretending anything mattered at that point. I mean the games already fecked up enough as it is, there comes a time when enough is enough.

But hey as you say, hopefully the powers that be surprise us all and actually punish them properly..

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Wasn’t City supposed to be kicked out of the UCL a few years ago and they somehow lawyered their way back in? Was this 2020?

caid

Wasn’t City supposed to be kicked out of the UCL a few years ago and they somehow lawyered their way back in? Was this 2020?
Got of on appeal to CAS. Think it was a couple of years before 2020. 2017/8 sounds about right?

Yagami

Good post resistant
I do wonder how many people will just switch off if they avoid it completely?
I don't think many will at all. The sport is too popular, and, outside of us United fans, do the majority really care about City's cheating? They're gaining new fans everyday, and, even on here, I see plenty of people preferring them to Arsenal.

HTG

Supports
Bayern

That’s exactly what I expect to happen. And people will just go on afterwards like they did before.

caid

That’s exactly what I expect to happen. And people will just go on afterwards like they did before.
I dont know about that. The idea of not following football would have been completely unthinkable to me 20 years ago. I think we've narrowly avoided about 3 or 4 instances that probably would have been the straw that broke the camels back as far as my continued interest in the sport goes in the last 18 months. I've completely wrote off la liga and have largely forgotten about international football. I suppose they've got a few million chinese / indian supporters to replace me but I'm not sure why they'd have any interest in the current version of the sport.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I would even be surprised if that is the extent of their punishment. I am expecting something like an 8-10 point deduction and some pocket change fine they won’t even notice. I fully expect this to be dealt with very inadequately, big/rich clubs can get away with far more than regular clubs like Everton and Nottingham.