g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

City and Financial Doping | Charged by PL with numerous FFP breaches

Teja

I think there’s going to be a lot of disappointment across the league when City are exonerated…
Yeah the bridge has been crossed. They will get a slap on the wrist at best and will continue with more subtle ways to work around the system. I hope this atleast fecks over Newcastle but let's see.

OldSchoolManc

Man City and their ‘fans‘ would rather football was destroyed for everyone than accept any guilt or punishment. They have the ball and they are taking it home if things don’t go their way.
Total disgrace of an organisation that has ruined the game for the other 99% of the population

the_cliff

So they signed a player, that player went on loan to Girona and next season he's going to City having not played a game for the struggling team he signed for and all 3 teams are owned by the same owners.

Unfortunately by the time the rule makers have caught up to the whole multi-club ownership thing and have imposed laws that regulate it, City would have already benefitted enough from it.

croadyman

Man City and their ‘fans‘ would rather football was destroyed for everyone than accept any guilt or punishment. They have the ball and they are taking it home if things don’t go their way.
Total disgrace of an organisation that has ruined the game for the other 99% of the population
Yeah hard not to be done with this league,get more pleasure out of my home town team admittedly not today. Mind you there is clubs at that level who have a financial advantage too

arnie_ni

So they signed a player, that player went on loan to Girona and next season he's going to City having not played a game for the struggling team he signed for and all 3 teams are owned by the same owners.

Unfortunately by the time the rule makers have caught up to the whole multi-club ownership thing and have imposed laws that regulate it, City would have already benefitted enough from it.
The pl clubs blocked a rule already haven't they

Josep Dowling

Yeah hard not to be done with this league,get more pleasure out of my home town team admittedly not today. Mind you there is clubs at that level who have a financial advantage too
There is a big difference between a local millionaire buying a small club compared to a state buying a football club. Eventually the millionaire will reach his limits, the club starts losing money and they will pull out their investment as it’s a money pit. City have never had that problem and that’s precisely why they are so far ahead now. Whilst every club has a blip they just spend as much as needed in one window to sort the issue and then sell 10 youth players to cover it. Or a fake sponsorship, or pay agents and salaries through shell companies. I firmly believe they have ruined football. I wish more fans would wake up to it rather than using City as a reason to laugh at United.

croadyman

There is a big difference between a local millionaire buying a small club compared to a state buying a football club. Eventually the millionaire will reach his limits, the club starts losing money and they will pull out their investment as it’s a money pit. City have never had that problem and that’s precisely why they are so far ahead now. Whilst every club has a blip they just spend as much as needed in one window to sort the issue and then sell 10 youth players to cover it. Or a fake sponsorship, or pay agents and salaries through shell companies. I firmly believe they have ruined football. I wish more fans would wake up to it rather than using City as a reason to laugh at United.
They have completely ruined football,unfortunately the media and some fans whether Utd or opposition will never have the guts to call them out on it

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
That last sentence definitely. It really is all hollow. I do think there were a couple of precursors to City skewing things. Real Madrid the first example. They sold image rights and tv rights to fund the galactico spree, they sold their training ground to the council to offset debts. Going back to all those early CLs many believe that Franco intervened to block di Stefano's move to Barca so he would sign for Real Madrid (he won 5 CLs in a row with them), and become their greatest ever player. And the second example is Chelsea, while they may have played by the book, no FFP then, they completely inflated the market when it was decided that they needed two top players for every single position, which was completely unheard of. City have taken it to another level, but I'd count the other two as culprits in skewing the game.

Giggsyking

I can't stand Goldbridge, but this is crazy. Small club, insecure mentality.

I'm not scared, he clearly sound scared :lol:.

RoyH1

I wonder how many cease and desist letters they've sent out.
All of them probably.

That's why I don't think they will every be punished. They have so much money that they can lawyer up from here till the end of times and bury any process in legal purgatory.

brian017

It’s wild that they are sending out cease and desist letters to YouTubers. No wonder the media don’t talk about it.

Irwin99

It’s wild that they are sending out cease and desist letters to YouTubers. No wonder the media don’t talk about it.
I find it weird that more fans outside of United and Liverpool don't really care in my experience which is crazy. Surely every fan should be angry about this and want to see proper action but instead for years it's just been a bit of banter. There just doesn't seem to be the appetite for calling it out among football fans as a whole.

Taribo's Gap

Could this just be Goldbrige milking internet rumors for more attention and engagement?

tomaldinho1

Could this just be Goldbrige milking internet rumors for more attention and engagement?
He would not have been contacted by Man City, he would have been contacted by either CFG or an external lawyer/party surely.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout

Won't be publicised or talked about so much, but multi ownership is inherently terrible for the game. I find it insane it's allowed.

Steve Bruce

Apparently goldbridge is going to read it out on his that's football channel either today or tomorrow

SuperiorXI

C&D letter to YouTube fan channels, a new low and additional charge in my eyes for each letter sent. So far we know of two, 117 charges FC is the name, cheating is the game

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
This is what’s known as strong-arming. Strong-arming by a state interfering in football.

Pure gangsterism.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I find it weird that more fans outside of United and Liverpool don't really care in my experience which is crazy. Surely every fan should be angry about this and want to see proper action but instead for years it's just been a bit of banter. There just doesn't seem to be the appetite for calling it out among football fans as a whole.
Most football fans can barely see beyond the end of their beak.
They'll only start to care when it directly affects their club. No-one cared when it was just United affected.

Pretty dim from half of the league really, as City are the only team who've been in the champions league every single season since they first got in.
That's quite a statement in itself.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Or maybe City is working through a separate entity to make legal threats and playing semantics here? Who knows? All rumors.
It's pretty funny that anyone would read that and go, oh it must be made up then.
Rather than the much more obvious that it's come from intermediaries working for the club!

Zen86

Every time I see this thread bumped I expect to see a full exoneration and formal apology from the PL.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
It's very obvious why, because to the vast majority of the football pyramid it doesn't matter

Maybe when you start to get 95 point second place finishes like Arsenal then you start to sympathize with Liverpool. If you've hated United you probably don't care as much. Apart from those 3 groups (and maybe Tottenham), why would Villa or West Ham or most other fans (who don't treat PL rules as the 10 commandments) give a feck?

The Urban Goose

I find it weird that more fans outside of United and Liverpool don't really care in my experience which is crazy.
I was talking about this with a group the other day (very few of whom support Utd). It's not that they "don't care", quite the opposite, but none of them think anything will happen and the result is they completely ignore City's "achievements". There's as much interest in City winning the league, CL etc. as there is in who wins the Mexican third division (south) league. It's like Putin winning the Russian presidential election... of course he did!

They were much more concerned that (in their eyes) the current FFP/PSR rules effectively lock in the "big 6" as it prevents an ambitious owner from (eg) doing an Abramovich and buying their way up the league.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I was talking about this with a group the other day (very few of whom support Utd). It's not that they "don't care", quite the opposite, but none of them think anything will happen and the result is they completely ignore City's "achievements". There's as much interest in City winning the league, CL etc. as there is in who wins the Mexican third division (south) league. It's like Putin winning the Russian presidential election... of course he did!

They were much more concerned that (in their eyes) the current FFP/PSR rules effectively lock in the "big 6" as it prevents an ambitious owner from (eg) doing an Abramovich and buying their way up the league.
I subscribe to the NYTimes, and Rory Smith is a great football writer on there who has a newsletter. One of them was about City's dominance, and the nonchalance in England around their dominance, and he made a parallel with Bayern Munich's recent dominance of the Bundesliga (with earned money of course):

This sentiment was captured perfectly by Dario Minden, a spokesman for Unsere Kurve, a sort of umbrella group for Germany’s organized fans, as he tried to explain why — in a way — it was almost better for Bayern Munich to win the Bundesliga, rather than anyone else.

Bayern also has a colossal financial edge, of course. It, too, seems to German fans to be a different animal compared with everyone else. “If Bayern wins it,” Minden, an Eintracht Frankfurt fan, said, “it is almost like nobody does.” The success of a direct rival, of a comparable peer, can sting, but there is no point in wondering why the lottery winner has a nicer house than you do.
I'd wager that people and neutral fans "cared more about City" when they looked human, when they needed a last gasp winner to win the league against THE team at the time, United, or when they won again under Pellegrini against Chelsea. Regardless of how they got their wealth, things started to get boring when they got really, really good, and eliminated the sense of jeopardy in their short term and long term.

Regarding the bolded in your post, hehe.

Irwin99

It's very obvious why, because to the vast majority of the football pyramid it doesn't matter

Maybe when you start to get 95 point second place finishes like Arsenal then you start to sympathize with Liverpool. If you've hated United you probably don't care as much. Apart from those 3 groups (and maybe Tottenham), why would Villa or West Ham or most other fans (who don't treat PL rules as the 10 commandments) give a feck?
I think what you're saying is true but here is the thing that i think Premier League fans at least should be aware of: If City had been punished years ago with a massive points deduction or even expulsion from the league, your club would move up the table by one in any of those previous seasons. Now one place doesn't sound much if you're a midtable side like Fulham this season for example, but to relegation-threatened teams or European chasing teams that's a huge amount of revenue and prestige that you might miss out because the league has no urgency/ethics in punishing a team that have flagrantly cheated for years on end and have not on one single occasion fallen out of the top 4 since they first 'achieved' that. It's a bit weird to me that other fans don't have more of a discussion about it.

To use some examples, you have Leicester City (who admittedly have had some dodgy financial issues themselves btw) narrowly miss out on top 4 by the tightest of margins in two seasons and you have Spurs who probably will end up in 5th place but would be a champions league team if City had had their points deduction this season. City and their ridiculous financial doping have effectively 'locked in' one of those champions league/European places at the expense of the other 19 other teams in the league. To me that surely should be something to be angry about?

stevoc

So what did the letter actually demand he stop doing?

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Their hearing date has to be in the summer, probably only a couple of months to see how this is all resolved now...